Page 1012 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 12512912962100210101011101210131014102210621112 ... LastLast
Results 30,331 to 30,360 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Isn't it already a day later than last time?

I would seriously call them and tell them you got a light line. Ask for the beta and go buy some more tests. I would try again today but if I could hold it for a long time before. Or again in the morning.

are they going to put you on progesterone or test for that?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Inca View Post
    Speaking of wine. I normally love wine. Like, a little too much. A bottle normally lasts one night when I'm around. (Of course dbf helps, but I drink the majority of it I think) Anyways, I love Rose wine, but I had never been to this particular liquor store and this lady starts talking to me about the bottle I picked up. And because I didn't really want to talk to her, I walked away with it to buy. Get home and realize it was a sweet rose. BLEH. worst wine EVER. Maybe also because it was from south africa? (I think is what the bottle said) Anywho, moral of the story is don't let people distract you while you're trying to choose wine.
    that's how I am too..when I have it, I'll drink a bottle to myself. I have a bottle every other month or so.

Katy-are there any decent wines you (or your dh) can recommend that are less than $30/bottle? I prefer a wet, somewhat sweet (but not too sweet!) wine, however I have enjoyed dry on occasion as well so I'm not opposed to that.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Isn't it already a day later than last time?

I would seriously call them and tell them you got a light line. Ask for the beta and go buy some more tests. I would try again today but if I could hold it for a long time before. Or again in the morning.

are they going to put you on progesterone or test for that?
    Yes, it is a day later. By this time last IUI cycle I had AF.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Isn't all wine "wet?"

**Lizzo**

And I think you're knocked up. I saw that line. And it IS a line.

**Lizzo**

You can get tons of good wine for less than $30. As far as sweet goes, rule of thumb is the higher the alcohol content (shown as a percentage somewhere on the bottle), the lower the sugar content because sugar turns into alcohol. For whites, look for Viognier - it is a floral and sometimes fruity but restrained white with a lot of layers of flavor. Important to look at alcohol content because there are some that are too sweet. For fruit flavors like pineapple or green apple and a little sweet with lot of tart, look at Sauvignon Blanc. Chardonnays can be good, but I don't care for California chards as they are too oaky (with smoke, vanilla, unctuous butter flavors that don't work for me) - you might look for an un-oaked Chardonnay - they can have a lot of layers of taste and go well with food. Pinot Gris or Pinot Grigio (same thing, different language) is bright and citrus and very easy to drink in the summer.

For reds, I would look for an American or Australian brand with a lower alcohol content (probably you would want to avoid California Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon as they have a lot of fruit that can stand up to a larger percentage of alcohol so they can be hard to take - they are made to be "big" wines in California). The longer a red is in the bottle, the less tannic it will be - so if you don't like that sort of "bite" you get that makes your teeth squeak, try to drink an older bottle of wine so that tannin has time to settle. I think you might like a nice Pinot Noir or Merlot.

I don't know brands very well, but the people who work in the wine department can actually be very helpful if you tell them what your taste is and if there is a wine you have tried that you liked and they can recommend something similar. Also, here are a couple of pages that describe the different varietals so you can figure out which one is closest to what you would like.

http://www.frenchscout.com/types-of-red-wines

http://www.frenchscout.com/types-of-white-wines

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Most rose wines I've had have always been more sweet; I like them like that!

Mandy, I tried to post from my cell phone that I wasn't sure that I saw a line but now that I am on the laptop, I soooo see a line! Are you re-testing tomorrow?! Eeek!

Oh, and for summer I think the best thing on earth is an iced bottle of Casal Garcia - a Portuguese sparkling white that goes for $5 to $8 per bottle. You cannot beat the price and it is a lovely thing on a hot day to come home and pop the top and have some bubbles while you relax/cook dinner/whatever.

It looks like this:
    That is the one brand that I would definitely recommend.Casal Garcia - NV.jpg
    Last edited by girlwonder; 04-05-2012 at 11:50 AM.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

My circle of lady friends are all about Prosecco lately. I like it but they drink it like water and I am a lightweight compared to them! I like white zinfandels and white grenaches (rose wines) best.

Well the rose I got was like drinking alcoholic candy. NOT even as good as that kinda sounds. LOL

The rose that I really REALLY want, is one that I drank while in Belgium, but I'm almost positive I'd never find it in the US. I don't even remember the name. But it had a shorter, fat bottle, and the neck of the bottle was slanted to the side. I can't even remember now what it tasted like, maybe a touch sweet, but not anything like the bottle that is STILL sitting in my fridge, a week or two later. I tried to have another glass last night and bleh, couldn't even finish it.

I also really like Chardonnays. But tbh, it's been SO long since I even drank one. Obviously didn't drink while pregnant, and have only gotten one or two bottles since S was born. Probably also didn't drink for at least a couple/few months before conceiving too. I remember one I liked, it was called 14 hands (just googled it). It had watercolor looking horses on the front of it and that's why I got it. lol. But it was really good. http://www.14hands.com/

**Lizzo**

On the rare occasions I drink, I like Merlot. I don't like a wine that's too bitter so that is something I can enjoy. I haven't found too many whites I really enjoyed. My friend had one at her New Year's party that I enjoyed, but I can't remember what it was.

Oh yeah and dbf says he can't drink red wine. Says it does something funny to his tongue/throat. Maybe some sort of allergic reaction? Any ideas wine ladies? He can drink whites just fine... (and well as rose)

**Lizzo**

Hmm, not sure about that, Liz; could it be that he is allergic to that variety of grapes?

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Oh, and for summer I think the best thing on earth is an iced bottle of Casal Garcia - a Portuguese sparkling white that goes for $5 to $8 per bottle. You cannot beat the price and it is a lovely thing on a hot day to come home and pop the top and have some bubbles while you relax/cook dinner/whatever.

It looks like this:
    That is the one brand that I would definitely recommend.Casal Garcia - NV.jpg
    Thanks-I'll see if they have any in my area. And thank you for all the tips. I've found a couple that I like but the older I get, the more I want to try different ones.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I forgot to tell y'all earlier about DH's car accident. He was in a fender bender yesterday (his fault as well).

Today, he came home with bad news; the small car accident has totalled his car basically. His car is 13 years old, but it's the only car he's ever had and I think emotionally, he is extremely upset about it as the car was his first love. The garage told him it would be about 2000 to fix the body work (it got all knocked out of line from the bump) and his car probably isn't worth more than 2500 if that. I've always wanted him to get rid of the car as it is not a comfortable drive (especially with the four of us now) but I didn't think we'd get rid of it by totalling it!

Oh, and sometimes there is an emergency and you have to get a bottle cold real quick!!!! The best way is to put it in an ice bath - ice cubes in you sink with water - put the bottle in and spin it around every once in a while. Should take about 15 minutes to get ice cold.

Liz - some people have an allergic reaction to red wines - this is usually a stuffy nose and congested feeling and possible headache. Some people just don't like how the tannins make their mouth and throat feel. Does it feel like all moisture is being sucked away from his mouth? That's probably tannins and he should drink a more mature wine or a pinot noir or merlot that is a little softer and not so stout.

Okay, here's another one: if you ever come across a bottle called Re Midas Corvino with a dotted crown on a white label with small accents of purple and gold, GET IT!!! A soft red that chills beautifully, so you drink it as cold as you would a white wine. Just lovely - we had some last week and I am asking Chris to get more! Not heavy or strong, no real tannins to speak of, just a refreshing and light chilled red wine that is perfect for summer.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Thanks-I'll see if they have any in my area. And thank you for all the tips. I've found a couple that I like but the older I get, the more I want to try different ones.
    I would just go in to the store and tell them what you have had in the past that you liked and why you liked it and ask that they recommend some other brands to try. And don't ever pay more than $30 - no reason on earth to do that just for every day wine.

Sorry about the car Ash. Glad your dh is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    Okay, here's another one: if you ever come across a bottle called Re Midas Corvino with a dotted crown on a white label with small accents of purple and gold, GET IT!!! A soft red that chills beautifully, so you drink it as cold as you would a white wine. Just lovely - we had some last week and I am asking Chris to get more! Not heavy or strong, no real tannins to speak of, just a refreshing and light chilled red wine that is perfect for summer.
    Oooh, I'll have a look for that next time I'm out grocery shopping!

My favorite so far is Cavit. I like their pinot noir and pinot grigio quite a bit. Their reisling is a bit sweet for me but DH likes that one. And I had a glass of their merlot in a restaurant recently and found that good as well. Plus I like that I can buy a big bottle for under $15.

Never tried a sauvigon blanc before but that sounds yummy. I don't care too much sweet in my drinks.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh no sorry about the car. It's always so hard on them when their first car dies.

And yeah I like to drink my reds cold.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thanks for the input. I have no problem with red wine, but because I feel silly getting a whole bottle of red for myself and a white for him I normally just get white. Since I've never seen him drink a red, I'm not sure his *exact* symptoms, just like I said from what he told me, that it makes his tongue and throat do something funny. Maybe swelling, maybe the tartness like you described.

**Lizzo**

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Here's a pic. I admit to editing the photo to heighten contrast - it wasn't that clear before I edited it.

That's what my positive tests looked like in the beginning. I hope this is it for you! I'd definitely call and tell them you got a positive test.

2/09 6/09 4/14

There is a local winery here called Blacksmiths and they make a red called Commissure. Here is what their website says about it -

An off-dry red wine similar to a Chianti, with ripe fruit flavors of fresh strawberry and a spicy cinnamon finish. A blend containing Cabernet Franc and Merlot.

I know nothing about wine, but this one is my absolute FAVORITE! I can't stop drinking it when I buy a bottle. In fact, I think I might need to stop on my way home and get some. They also have a blueberry riesling and a rhubarb wine. So.good.seriously.
    AKA Lisa724

My mouth is watering. Darn you ladies got me thinking about wine at 1:30 in the afternoon.
    I like merlot. I'm not a fan of white or blush wines at all.

Hahah same Bridget. (meaning, I may need to make a wine-run after the kids leave later on) I already have to run to the fabric store AGAIN! I was just there night before last for fabric, but now I need to get some non-sticky velcro. I'm making some teething sucker/drool pads for the Ergo straps.
    Last edited by Inca; 04-05-2012 at 12:40 PM.

**Lizzo**

I am off early today and both my boys are sleeping. May just head out now. I'm a bit of a ghetto wine drinker I guess because I buy the bota box. My hippy friends introduced me to it with exclamations of low carbon footprints and oh so economical. I like it. I know when you think box wine you think Franzia but this is better. My old housemate used to buy Franzia. One night we invited everyone at the pub back for an after party and that's all we had. We overheard one guy say, "I've never heard someone call a box of wine a party before."

My mom used to drink boxed wine, but only the Franzia. Which one do you buy?

My twins leave at 3, the other not til 430. They're all napping now. Even Seren is on my lap. But oh no, not Remy. He's too good for naps now.. or something...

Is it 430 yet?

**Lizzo**

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Definitely a faint line, Mandy. That's what some of mine looked like at the beginning. I would get a digital in your next handful of tests so you can have a definite confirmation to show your dh. They pick up on pretty faint lines. I'm so excited for you!!!!! And that office should get you in, right?

Ash, sorry to hear about your dh's car accident. I hope you can find a new car that's acceptable to him and that works for your family, but I do know how hard losing a well-loved car can be.

Here an article on good inexpensive wines: http://www.winecurmudgeon.com/my_web...l-of-fame.html

Yes, L, I called the RE's office and told them DH and I couldn't agree. The office manager ordered my bloodwork for this afternoon, with results tomorrow AM. Too late in the day for same-day results. So one way or another we'll know tomorrow. If I sleep in, they'll probably call with results before I have to worry about POAS.