Page 1481 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 481 981 1381 1431 147114791480148114821483 ... LastLast
Results 44,401 to 44,430 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Ugh, I hate cold bathrooms and cold toilet seats! Brrr!

I really need some sleep this weekend. I have so much work to do. Ugh. How many times can I type ugh? Ugh ugh ugh ugh........LOL

Back to work for me..............

Oh, I hate cold bathrooms, too. Eh, who am I kidding. I just hate cold! I'm a wimp.

Ugh indeed. Why is there so much work?? Can't believe the queen weekend is half over already. Work would do itself!

Please ignore my weird typos. This is why I seldom do anything from my phone!!

I liked the queen weekend. I wish she would do my work for me. The life of a teacher intern=no work life balance. My second essay is now complete. Roll on, summer. I need a long sleep and some warm weather. LOL

I want a queen weekend, too!

Ash, you'll get through and it will be so worth it! Is it a one-year program?
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Me too. And I was excited for you, Janet, that you were getting a queen weekend.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Actually, I guess it ended up being a fairly queenly weekend! I feel like I slept 40 of the 48 hours, hah. And it helped a lot, too. Yawn! Now if I could only sleep the rest of the week... And, if only the house work would take care of itself. Boo. Not surprisingly, the dishes haven't been touched all weekend, and it's disgusting!! Too bad I don't have a husband to help out when I need some extra help. Oh, wait...

And hang in there, Ash! The summer isn't THAT far away...

I didn't have a queenly weekend....I had a frozen one! Some natural gas pipe had an explosion in Canada on Saturday and damaged two others....and all three were out of commission. And those are the ones that feed my area plus some areas like Fargo. Got a phone call at 12:30am that we were asked to turn the heat down to 60 and avoid gas appliances until further notice. I don't know anyone who went to 60. We went to 63 and most people seem to do 64/65. And of course yesterday was super windy and snow was drifting horribly. I normally keep the house at 66 BUT run the gas fireplace pretty much all day when we were are home and up. When it gets 70 in the house I turn it off but in this below zero weather even with the fireplace running it stays 66/67.
    I slept in a fleece nightgown last night, with three blankets and a dog to keep me warm. Normally I wear the fleece for an hour when really chilly until I warm up. They are thinking we might be back to normal useage conditions in the next 24 hours. Nothing like having your heat source being threatened when it's -50 wind chills. Uggg, I don't normally hate winter but I am so over this one already. It's just been sooo cold....hasn't been like this since the mid-90's.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Brrrrrrr!!!! I'm cold just thinking about it!

We have been having unusually warm weather here. I know, I know, quit bragging, right? But it's actually concerning because it's been so very dry, no snow in the mountains, no rain here to green up the hills. The grass on the hills surrounding us is still brown and dry like September. And some of the trees have started to blossom, thinking it's spring, and that's going to screw up a lot of the plant life. What a weird winter it is for everyone.

Yeah that is really concerning. I have relatives who live somewhere close to the hills or mountains not all that far from Yuba City and my uncle has been really posting a lot about the drought. I know when DH was looking for jobs, we were avoiding the southwest...one for the heat but two because of water concerns.

Normally this cold wouldn't bother me that much. I'm not an outdoor person anyway so it's just running from the car to the house or building and back. But it really stinks not being able to run fireplace! I love how it looks, love how warm it feels, and love how it keeps my poogle occupied....she is a fire loving heat seeking girl. Since I didn't have it on yesterday, I put a shirt on her to keep her warm (Cosmo likes being cooler)....and she even was naughty and got into the bathroom garbage! She's over 2 and has never done that before....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

It was downright balmy at 40-something degrees today, although it was really windy so that kind of ruined it.

brrr there is nothing worse than ice cold toilet seats in the middle of the night. shudder.

our weather is cooler than normal but it really is like our summer here. When ya'll are enjoying your summer, we are in the midst of the 90+ wall of heat. Then we are inside all the time.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

It's been about 35 degrees here for awhile now. That's the high and low for the day; no real change. It looks like America is getting all the polar weather, so our winter has not been too cold this year. It has definitely been grey and dull for a long time now. I can understand why the Brontes wrote about Heathcliffe and Cathy walking the moors when I look around at my surroundings. The wind is howling outside and bits of rain are being spat against the window...I think I must need some sleep now, as I am feeling all poetic about the blustery winter weather. LOL.

Shelley, I envy anyone that lives in Florida. I want to live in Florida. LOL.

It has spoiled me for sure. I was talking to my dad who lives in North Central Idaho and it's been foggy, gloomy, and cloudy for weeks. I remember that well, and it depresses me to even think about it. But yet when it's fall I miss the change of season. The crisp air and smell of fall in the air. And a roaring fire in the fireplace. That I do miss.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

DD1 and I both love the rain and fog and gloom. We would be very happy living in England or in the PNW. The only reason we don't is that dh gets seasonal affective disorder. He lives for the sun. Luckily, in the bay area, we get basically enough of both -- some morning fog and, generally, winter rain and gloom, and sunny spring/summer/fall days. This winter has been way too dry, though. It's finally cloudy today and when dd1 stepped out of the house she said "Ahhhh, this is the best weather." If only we'd get a little rain.

I can't even talk about the weather. It's 30ish below zero here with the windchill factor. My house is bursting at the seams with pent up energy. We are doing ok keeping busy. Thank goodness for the hundreds of fb pages and blogs devoted to child activities!

it's going to be rainy tomorrow and thursday and G has a 1/2 day thursday. Our new favorite activity is watching old music videos on youtube and dancing. It's funny and makes me feel old as dirt, realizing how long ago some of those videos were made. NKOTB, New Edition, Back street boys, nsync.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    it's going to be rainy tomorrow and thursday and G has a 1/2 day thursday. Our new favorite activity is watching old music videos on youtube and dancing. It's funny and makes me feel old as dirt, realizing how long ago some of those videos were made. NKOTB, New Edition, Back street boys, nsync.

Good stuff!

Kate, I remember you saying in here that you were reading the Oz books with Josh. I think you were having trouble finding some of them? Maybe I'm wrong, but I just saw all 14 of the original oz books are available for Kindle for 99 cents - that's the price for the whole collection, not separately. If anyone is looking for them, it's an amazing price for some of my favorite books from my childhood.

Mira has been asking me about Oz and Harry Potter. She watched the Wizard of Oz, and especially liked the witches (both good and bad), but I'm not sure what age is appropriate for reading the books to her. 4 is likely too young, because I don't think she'll understand. She doesn't scare easily, though, so maybe sooner rather than later.

I'd say five or six, but Mira might be okay. You can always try it and see.

Oh, thanks! I was having problems with the Oz books because I'd go to the library and ask the librarian for "the third Oz book" or whichever one we were looking for, and she'd try to tell me they "weren't really a series" and it was a big hassle. I'd always forget to look up the title before we went. We go to a different library most of the time now. That lady was always so cranky Also, we dropped the Oz books for the Harry Potter books.

I actually don't like the Kindle. My dad got me one a couple years ago and I never use it.

Suja, there are shorter versions of the Wizard of Oz for kids, I think. You might want to find one of those and try it. She won't get the deeper concepts of the original, but it's still a good story.

Harry Potter is even more adult, dealing with lots of death and scary situations. The kids have grown up a lot and are delving into romance by the 4th book, which we're still on.

The cranky library lady sounds like no fun at all. I'd go somewhere else, too.

It's too bad because Josh adored the other librarian there and it was much bigger than the one we use now, but it was further away anyway, and the little library can usually order any books they don't have.

I wonder if the cranky library lady was just a circ staff member? I cannot believe that a librarian would say that the OZ wasn't a series. It's totally a series of 14! I loved mine....still have them. I think I read them when I was 9. Once I could read myself, my mom didn't read to me anymore. I really prefer it that way....it's one of the reasons I'm not into audiobooks at all, I just drift off thinking after the first minute.
    And really, it's not hard to look that up for the library staff. It's should not have been a big deal at all to look it up in the OPAC....it literally takes me seconds to find out if we own something and where it is.

I wouldn't go elsewhere, I would fill a complaint with the library director. We have two main components in our field....knowledge management and customer service. If a staff member is consistently failing in both areas, the supervisor needs to know.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

She was always there, sitting at the desk. She seemed to be there in the kids section most days. The woman Josh liked was there most of the time too, but she was the head librarian so she'd sometimes be upstairs in the adult section. We didn't leave just because of cranky lady, though. Josh used to go to preschool right next door to the big library, so it was convenient then. Now it's all the way across town and the little library is just a couple streets down from us. We rarely go to the library these days because we're always reading Harry Potter and Josh goes to the school library twice a month, plus his teacher gives him books to borrow. There's no shortage of books here, LOL. I'd feel silly complaining about the woman now. She could have left or gotten better by now for all I know.

I agree with you on audiobooks, my mind wanders a lot too.

Oh yeah I agree....I would go to the close one too! We only have one in my town but it's part of a big system that covers I think 9 counties. So I mostly just request books online and go pick them up off the reserve shelf when they come in. Parking stinks since it's downtown so usually I have DH drop me off and by the time he drives around the block I'm out and ready to hop back in the car. I tend to read popular books so end up on long wait lists often.....or am suggesting the book be ordered and get to be first. I have a couple that I did that with that don't come until May or July. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We have a grouchy librarian too. And it's just such a contrast to rest of them that she stick a out like a sore thumb. My heart sinks when she is at the counter. She acts as if my fines are a personal offense to her.
    Last edited by Bridget; 02-12-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Uggg that is just so stupid. who the heck cares if you get fines? I confess....I'm a librarian who very often runs a fine at the public library! I just consider that my donation so they can buy more resources.
    I don't run a fine in my own library mostly because I don't check out our stuff often and when I do, I can just change my own due dates. ;) Plus we don't collect fines....we really just want our stuff back and if it's late, oh well.

Though if she is at the counter checking your stuff out and seeing the fines, it's most likely not a librarian unless they were majorly short staffed. If she is behind the reference desk, that is generally a librarian. I will do circulation in my library if the assistant is out but she does most of that freeing the librarians for things we went to grad school for such as reference, literature searching, collection development, interlibrary loan.....

Bridget, is your library pretty busy? Our public one is. I think WI has some of the highest library use in the country.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yes, our library is always busy! The parking lot full even on a Tuesday mid morning.
    You are right that maybe she is not a librarian. That would explain why when I asked her why the online catalogue was asking me for a password, she told me to put in the password for my online library account. I was like...uh..No, that is not correct and she just said she didn't know then. Lol! I don't think I have ever had a librarian say the words "I don't know" to me!