Page 1473 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 473973137314231463147114721473147414751483 ... LastLast
Results 44,161 to 44,190 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Sawyer is getting better. He still has his moments but they are fewer than before so rides are tolerable. When he screams, it is toe curling, though, so when he does have his moments they are tough. I am considering a 5 hour road trip to see my brother's family soon. Ultimate test.

Jennifer, my parents' beagle mix gets a benedryl for long car rides. He gets carsick, though, so it really helps with that.
    And Suja, I've heard your area is terrible for traffic. We get some bad traffic too over here and I've had the "two hour drive takes five hours" experience -- it really sucks. I hope your plan works this year! Can M watch something on ipad, listen to music on headphones, do anything like that in the car? Headphones and kids' music has been really great for Noe on long trips (my folks live 8 hours away), and we have movies on the ipad for emergency "she's totally done" moments.

Speaking of sick, Noe had a bad night. I think she has croup. She has that barking-seal cough. She ran a fever last night up to 103.5 so all night I stayed with her in her little bed, laying ice packs on her back and forehead while she clung to me like a roasting-hot little limpet. Her fever broke around 5 a.m. and although she's still coughing a bit, she's feeling pretty chipper this morning. I, on the other hand, feel like I've been run over. Pretty sure it's just the lack of sleep. I had so much to do today, and now it'll just be us on the couch watching Handy Manny all day.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Oh man, that has to be awful! I think I might turn into a basketcase when my baby is sick.

Last time we got about an hour into the drive before I gave her a bendryl and I think she was just too worked up for it to take like it should have. She whines and cries and will not be still in her kennel. She has made herself throw up in there so it's no food in the am Thursday. She gets to where she is foaming at the mouth and her whole face is soaked. I hate the idea of drugging her but I also don't think it's good for her to get THAT worked up. I mean we are both there, she can see us and smell us and hear us. She can see Cosmo and usually she takes her cues from her sister....and Cosmo is totally chill in the car and smiles and sleeps. We have tried in the kennel, letting her be on the floor like Cosmo (minivan with the middle seats down), tried going on small jaunts around town......she just gets so worked up.

I'm glad that we don't have traffic like that here unless there was a big accident or construction. I get panic attacks and the biggest trigger is being stuck in traffic that isn't moving. Tony is pretty good at handling me when I get like that....giving me a map or GPS to fiddle with and find potential alternate routes helps some.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

S. is sick, too. We spent the day yesterday playing on a big pile of snow they dumped under the palm trees on Treasure Island, and then at a screening of Frozen at Pixar Studios, and then he started spiking a fever and coughing and saying he wanted to go to bed, and then he threw up and spent the rest of the night crying in his sleep and coughing and clutching his throat because it hurt so bad. He was up for several hours in the middle of the night, and then I had to wake up at 4:30 AM to go to work.

My MIL is coming up for Thanksgiving. We are doing the same thing we always do -- a big dinner at my sister's house for all of the Thanksgiving 'orphans' who want to come and our local family. I'm guessing about 20 people or more. I'm bringing mashed potatoes. I have a big test on Wednesday I still haven't studied for and I'm starting to get really anxious.

I'm really fortunate most of our family get-togethers are nearby.

When we've driven to Santa Barbara, we've had the 5 1/2 hour drive take 10 hours on occasion. I used to leave at 3 AM and put the kids in their pajamas right in their car seats and try to put as many miles in before they woke up for the day, because after that we'd have to stop every 30 minutes or even more often. It was worse after they potty trained, because then we'd have the "I need to poop!" crisis and then false alarm and then "Oh no! I really mean it!" pull over every exit, which ate up a lot of time, multiplied times two or three kids.

Aw, I'm sorry S is sick. That sounds terrible (and it sounds a lot like what Noe has, minus the puking - her throat is sore too).
    How was Frozen? Was it ok for littles? Noe is dying to see a movie in the theater and there hasn't been one out that we think she could handle. Wondering if Frozen would be ok.

"Movies on the iPad" - 'splain please?

We always have music in the car. From the time she was a baby, that was pretty much the only thing that would make driving with her, tolerable. Now, when DH and I are going together, I sit in the back with her, and we play games, and read. I haven't yet broken out the iPad, because I'm fairly certain it will create a monster. Did I tell y'all that she found out about 'Princess Salon' (makeup game) from the teacher's daughter when we were doing the fall festival decorations, and is now obsessed with it? It is mind numbingly inane, and she will play with it for - well, we haven't figured out just how long, because we always make her stop before she is ready. Blech!

I'm sorry about the sick kiddos. Hopefully, it will blow over quickly. Also, why did I think that croup is something only really little kids get?

Oh, and have you seen this? SO funny!: http://www.mostwatchedtoday.com/los-...-inch-of-rain/

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I would not recommend Frozen as a first-time theater experience for a young child. At least, my kids were pretty scared at some points. I had to hold S. the whole movie, and R. jumped into my lap as well during the last third so I had to hold both of them, and then he wanted to leave because he was so scared. I had him put his face against my neck and I covered up one ear and whispered in the other one about how the good guys always win and the bad guys always lose and they always live happily ever after in these types of movies and that he should just try to figure out how they're going to solve all of their problems and treat it like a good mystery.

DH told me that Epic was good and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs II was good. The twins have been to about 5 or 6 movie theater movies, and DH has taken them most of the time. This was our youngest's second time in a theater.

Oh, ok - if your kids were scared I'm sure Noe would be petrified. She's really sensitive to that kind of thing. We've been waiting for a nature documentary or something to come out, but nothing so far. We'll continue to wait.

We like music in the car too, Suja, but the kind I'm referring to is the stuff Noe happens to love, which are albums like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sing---Long-Fa...countdown+kids. She calls them her "children singing." If she wanted to listen to Dan Zanes or even Laurie Berkner, or world music, or folk, or anything else, we'd play it for all of us (and we do, most of the time). But those dang kids singing their nursery rhymes with the canned keyboard accompaniment make me want to gouge out my eardrums. So we got her some headphones, and she'll happily listen to the children singing, and sing along, for at least an hour in the car. And it's blissful quiet for us.
    Movies on the ipad - dh has some program that compresses and loads movies onto his ipad. Any movie we have on dvd, we can put a copy of onto the ipad. And then Noe can watch it, with or without headphones. It's kind of a last resort for in the car, but there are times I am very glad we have the option. I don't know the name of the program he uses, but I can find out for you if you like.
    Oh, yes, the makeup games. I remember Inge really liking those when she was 5 or 6, back before tablets when we just had an old desktop computer she could play games on. She loved the salon games and the dress-up games.

When I looked up croup, it said it was most common for age 3 and under, mostly because their little windpipes are smaller so the inflammation causes more symptoms. But older kids can get it too. Actually, our 6 year old next door neighbor had it a few weeks ago, and apparently it (which isn't really "it," since croup can be caused by many different viruses, but I suppose some are more likely to infect the area of the vocal cords and windpipe than others) has been going around the local schools. So when Noe first started barking the cough, I thought of it fairly quickly. She's better today, but still coughing some. Hope she has a better night, because I am wiped. Not sure if I'm just tired or if I'm fighting off the same bug.

Kia had croup last winter! I called 911 that night because Kia came in my room and said he couldn't breathe and had a panicked look in his eyes. When he gets a cold it goes right to his chest. I often wonder if it's related to his having rsv as an infant. I hope Noe feels better and you get rest. Have you ever made goot? It's a garlic rub but I add eucalyptus oil and rub it on their backs, chests, feet.

I haven't, B - what's the recipe? Sounds smelly.
    I do have some menthol rub I could put on her chest, but she's pretty sensitive to smells and last night she wasn't having it at all. It was the most I could do to get ice on her to cool her down.

It is so smelly. It makes me hungry sometimes, for breadsticks, when I don't use eucalyptus. Have you tried rubbing it just on her feet then putting socks over? She shouldn't be able to smell that and it works surprisingly well to tame a night cough.

We are going to my in-laws for Thanksgiving. We haven't had a proper Thanksgiving there in quite a while, I think. We usually go to my mom's or dad's or have my mom over.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    "Movies on the iPad" - 'splain please?
    If you have netflix you can download the app to your ipad and watch movies on it. At least that's what we do, maybe there are other apps that do similar things.

I do Netflix and also have some movies I have either bought or rented off iTunes.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Hope Noe is better today!

Well, I am officially a sally. We have seen a couple of mice in our kitchen and Mark and I agreed we would catch them live as we (ok me) don't believe in harming creatures unless it's self defense, or for food. He bought these sticky traps assured me they were humane. Well, last night I heard squeaking from under the stove and Mark pulled out the sticky trap. It was so ADORABLE! Yes, I am aware of the whole disease infested rodent thing, but still. We have an empty critter cage so M decided to drop it in there for the kids. Except, those sticky traps are clearly not meant for release. It was awful and I was crying. We had to put him out of his misery. I was upset and M insisted he had no idea and I asked if there were more of those traps and he said no and that he felt terrible too. Well, a few hours later we heard it again and there WAS another one! And it was a BABY. Broke my heart. So today my mission is to find a better trap. And to let go of how annoyed I am that he feigned feeling terrible but didn't bother to get rid of the other trap. I'm so thankful the kids were in bed. There would have been no consoling them.
    And I have to take the kid's back to the museum we went to last week. It's 4 levels. We were there 3 hrs and only got through the first floor! There is no rushing my kids in a museum that is for sure. We are leaving the moment Sawyer wakes up so we have plenty of time. I have to get us on the road home by 3:30 so I don't get stuck in traffic.
    Last edited by Bridget; 11-26-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Awww... those glue traps are awful. I would have felt terrible too. I know it's bad to have mice in your house but they are cute little critters.

We had a rat living in our garage a couple of years ago and we got these Havahart traps. Now apparently the local wildlife center, Wildcare, says those traps aren't much more humane, since when you let the critter out into the wild it usually gets eaten or whatever. But frankly I can take that risk a lot easier than I can dealing with killing one myself. So we used the trap, baited it with peanut butter, and sure enough we caught a sleek, pretty gray rat. The girls thought he was so cute! We let him go in the open space behind our neighborhood and haven't had trouble with them since. dd1 liked the rat so much that she is now planning to get pet rats.

The museum sounds great!

Well, it's definitely croup for Noe and is driving me crazy. She's fine during the day - totally energetic, eating well, wants to DO STUFF! - and then at night she runs a fever and bark-coughs and fusses and wheezes all night. She can't go to school, since she's running fevers at night, so I'm on my second night of no sleep with a kid who wants to party during the day. YAWN. I'm going to try to get some cleaning and cooking done for t-day. Hopefully I won't accidentally sub salt for sugar or make some other dumb mistake.

Mice are cute but they move so FAST and that's what creeps me out about them. And also that they like to hide behind things in your kitchen. And poop in your things. When we had a mouse it got up into my silverware from behind the drawer and pooped in it. That was not cute.

There are catch and release traps at home depot, I think. In ours the traps are over by the garden stuff like Miracle Gro and weed spray and stuff.

I'm so sorry about all the sick kids I hope they feel better soon. Josh has a cold that I hope doesn't get any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    If you have netflix you can download the app to your ipad and watch movies on it. At least that's what we do, maybe there are other apps that do similar things.
    That won't work for traveling, right? Streaming is fine, when there is access to WiFi, but not in a car.

I took S. to the doctor yesterday after I raced home from work. He was wheezing so she gave us some Albuterol to use in a little mask to open up his airway, and she said his throat didn't look like strep but since it was his umpteenth in the past few years (he gets a ton of sore throats) and because he keeps getting these tonsil stones and because this may be the underlying cause of why he doesn't sleep, we got a referral to a pedi ENT to talk about getting his tonsils out.

S. was so awesome and well-behaved at the doctor's office. We went down to the pharmacy floor and waited right outside the door so he wouldn't cough on anyone, and this girl kept going over and closing the door. We both asked her to keep the door open so we could hear our name being called. She ran right up to my sick little boy and got in his face and yelled NO NO NO! and slammed the door again. I told him she was younger and didn't know any better and to try not to get upset. He replied, "Yes, I know, she is just a little girl and doesn't know the rules." Even later, when we were downstairs and picking up our car, the girl saw him again and ran over and yelled NO NO NO again, he stayed calm and offered to help with a different child who kept dropping stuff and trying to wander out into the parking garage while the mom was on the phone. Made my heart melt.

He woke up all kinds of time during the night, crying and coughing and crying and coughing, and I didn't care a whit. Well, not much. My heart was still melty.

--------

Mice -- my parents have used live traps in their house in Wyoming. They have to drive 5 miles away to drop off their mice so they don't come back. That used to be my job in high school once I got my license. They have so many mice currently that even vacuuming over and over on the rugs does not get rid of the mouse poop.

When I had my pest evaluation, the company said that glue traps were horrible and inhumane, and that live traps were not a good idea because at least in the city, you can't go far enough away to take them and you are essentially infesting someone else. She said that the best way to do it is the old fashioned snappy trap.

S is a darling! How sweet of him to be understanding about the little girl, who frankly sounds like a pest. Hope his cough clears up with the albuterol.

Suja, yes - streaming is out in the car. That's why we have the file program. We don't keep everything on the ipad - don't want to take up too much space - so we just have a few of Noe's favorites on at a time. Right now they are Ponyo, My Neighbor Totoro, The Secret World of Arriety, Cinderella, and a Charlie Brown Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    That won't work for traveling, right? Streaming is fine, when there is access to WiFi, but not in a car.

When we drove to Florida last summer we downloaded the movies whenever we access to wifi (such as when we stopped at hotels) and he was able to watch them while we were on the road.

Awwww. S is so cute! I had my tonsils out due to strep. I was getting it pretty much every month to every month for a year and I want to say if I am remembering correctly that towards the end, throat cultures weren't enough and I had to have bloodwork to dx it. Got those suckers out and I never had strep again. Was an easy surgery too minus the bad reaction the anesthesia where I could hardly move my joints (thankfully surgery since they used something different!). My sister got hers out in her 20's due to pockets that kept getting food stuck in them and gave bad breath. Her recovery was so much worse at 20 something then mine was at age 10. Our cousin got hers out a few years ago due to sleep issues....I know more people with them gone than with them still there.

Um, I would not keep a mouse as a pet. My understanding is that the pet ones are a little different than the field ones? Our second apartment had them pretty good and I had DH get the traps that kill them but it's contained so I didn't have to see it minus sometimes a tail sticking out. Once one was pg and barely fit.
    Bridget, you should tell pawprint she's slacking on the job!
    My girls are supposedly hunting breeds in them...beagle in Molly, spaniel in Cosmo, poodle in both. They are really pretty useless for that! Well Molly has it a bit in her but it has to be big and noticeable like turkies or deer. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Awww... S is so cute. And mature. What a good kid! I hope that you get a permanent fix for his throat issues.

We had a rat in the garage once. I tried the live trap, but it didn't take the bait. One day, I saw the giant black rat snake near the garage, and then, we had no more rat problems. DH had named it and everything. Mice, I would be inclined towards snap traps. They are both disease vectors, although rats especially are very smart, and make excellent pets (the pet ones do, anyway).

Oh, we had a little bit of excitement in school yesterday. I have seen this lady before, with twins. Under 2 years old I think, itty-bitty little boys. As I got out of the car, I noticed that the mom had one kid on her hip, one in the car, and was knocking on the windows, asking the kid to open the door. It was a cold day, so she had stuck one kid in, was going to put the other one in on the other side, then get in and strap them in, but the one inside got a hold of her car keys, and locked himself in. He was laughing and having a ball, running from one end of the car to the other, fiddling with the knobs and buttons, except for the door lock, of course. I asked if the mom needed help, offered her the phone (to call the husband), and to watch the kid (who didn't want to go to a stranger). After I went inside, I told the principal of the school, and she called the cops. Of course, the kid opened the door, about 30 seconds before the fire truck rolled in.

What I found surprising, was that no one else offered to help. I was running back and forth, ferrying my phone (her husband called back on my #), in between trying to keep an eye on Mira, who then got upset, because she saw me one minute, but when her class was over, I wasn't there (I was in the parking lot). I hate to say it, but I think that it is a cultural thing; I know that if that were an Asian country, there would at least be a million people swarming her. They won't be particularly helpful, but they will at least notice, and offer help.

That's too bad that no one else offered to help! Good thing you were there.
    DD1 locked herself in the car once when she was about 2. It was in the garage so there were no fears about heat or cold, but I was still frantic. I had to call AAA to have them unlock it. I can only imagine how stressful it would be to have one inside, one outside, in the cold, in a school parking lot! That poor lady deserves a hot bath and a drink. And you deserve a pat on the back for making the situation easier for her.

Not even a cultural thing but I almost think within the us too. I'm upper midwest and people here are just way more friendly and I think people would have helped up here. even within the midwest I have noticed a big difference between say Chicago and Minneapolis or even Milwaukee and Minneapolis. It was weird when I moved up and very often when you pass someone walking it's a good morning, hi, good afternoon, whatever. Or DH and I noticed the difference in people say at Six Flags in Chicago area or the local amusement park in the Twin Cities....just way less rudeness.

AAA is great at getting a car unlocked! When my sister was 2 she locked herself in the bathroom. The house was a bungalow so the window was a half flight up. I remember my dad took me up the ladder and put me through the window which was open...just a screen he removed....so I could unlock the door. After that the lock was removed and a hook n eye was put at the top. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

If you had been in the south, Suja, that lady woulda had a swarm of people helping her. You're up north, right? I have always found that Northern people (and this is a big generalization!) are not as warm to strangers. It's one thing that I love about going back to Arkansas. Like, we'll be in a store and someone will talk to me a few minutes and Rich will say, "Who was that?" and I'll say, "Just some woman I've never talked to before!"

L, that is so cute about S. He is a little darling!

I've been busy this week with lesson plans, but I'm happy and keeping my head above the water! I'll have to type more later!

I know both my cats are SLACKERS. They probably chased the mice in. They catch them all the time outside but when they are at home they are sleeping. Freeloaders. This is the first time we have had mice since we lived here. I only found poop in my laundry room and under the stove. I ordered a live trap off amazon and we will take them across the street to the cornfield where I'm sure they'll get eaten by the hawk family that lives over there. Lol.

Gretchen, I recall your dd mentioning her desire to get rats. I'm not a fan of rodents for pets but my kids love for these critters tends to make me look at them differently.

Suja, it is hard to believe no one stopped to help! At a school of all places, where it's all parents!

Yeah, Bridget, I wouldn't say rats are #1 on my list of favorite pets, though I don't mind them either. But they're what she wants, and as someone mentioned above, they're very smart and sociable, so they do make good pets. And they only live 2-3 years, which was a requirement from me for any new pets she gets because she'll be going off to college in a few years. DD wants to get them from a "rattery" where the specific breed she wants has been hand-bred and the babies handled a lot so they're very tame and friendly. But one thing I don't like about them, if she gets boys, is that the males tend to get really big ... um... balls. And I just find it kind of gross. So I'm hoping she gets girls (she wants two as they are animals who like companionship, but definitely both the same sex because we don't want rat babies!).

Rat balls. Not something I'd want to lay my eyes upon daily. Good to know.