Page 1462 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 462 962 1362 1412 145214601461146214631464 1472 ... LastLast
Results 43,831 to 43,860 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    We saw it on Netflix! We are like you - only see movies with special effects or great visuals in theaters. DH really, really wants to see Gravity in the theater but I don't really want to. I don't think it's my cup of tea, even though I think Cuaron is a great director. I feel like I would get very anxious.
    We saw something in IMAX recently and they showed the Gravity preview. I think it was different from the normal previews because there was a very long shot of space at the end and I had to look away.

Jennifer, I would not be able to handle looking at a coffee shop all day!

As it is, my schedule is kind of a patchwork right now. I have one student at 9:00 and another student I was supposed to see at 10:00 at another location, but his parents never bring him until late, some days as late as 11:00. I told her I will not sit and wait for her, so we changed his time to 10:30 (11:00 is lunch and then nap after that) and hopefully he is there on time. Meantime ... I'm at starbuck's

Good thing I have my iPad so I can do work on the go .... Oh, that's right ... Work on the go.

DH wants to see Gravity. I'm intrigued but worried it will really upset me.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Ooh, they haven't shown previews to that Gravity movie here yet. I think I'd enjoy it. Dh and I are due a date night. Maybe I can convince him to take me to the movies.

Mta: maybe I should've said cinema instead of the movies since you ladies like the Brit vernacular! I noticed in another thread that Suja referred to a holiday as a bank holiday.

I actually really don't like to see movies at the theater. I will go like once every year or two with DH to make him happy. But I much prefer to watch at home when I can pause them to get a snack or use the bathroom. Especially now that we have the 55 inch HD TV. MIL mentioned wanting to see Gravity but I said no I didn't....if DH wanted to, they could go for it. But we ended up being busy doing a bunch of other things.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

So I think that we might for real get started on the nursery this weekend. Unless one of us gets sick. DH is supposed get a crown tomorrow but it looked like no root canal will be needed so if he's in pain, I will put it off a few weeks.

I am kind of going with the idea of if you build it, they will come. I just really don't want to be scrambling last minute or dealing with painting and fumes with a new baby in the house. Of the two we know who have placed so far, one had 3 weeks notice, one had 24 hours notice.

I was thinking of getting my flu shot this afternoon but my stomach isn't feeling great today (so that helps not wanting to visit the coffee shop!)...so I might wait until next week.

My sister was finally able to login and apply for the ACA. She hasn't picked a plan yet but it's really nice to have 84 to choose from (only two companies but a lot of variety). For her income level and age, plans range from 80-415 a month. Definitely reasonable and so great for her to finally be able to purchase it....previously she had to be in the state high risk pool because nobody would insure her based off past ear surgeries. And her job just will not make her full-time with benefits. Of course she applies elsewhere....one application she has in had 234 people apply and so far she made it to the second round....only 20 people made it that far.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I am so out of the loop. I have no idea what Gravity was - I had to Google it I am more into animated, funny shows. I don't like to watch anything suspenseful, I have enough stress going on in my own life - I don't want to relive it in a movie.

Jennifer I can not wait to see the Snoopy room come to life! I like the positive thinking of getting the room together and than you getting placed

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

In general, I don't care for too many movies. I did love the Star Trek one though! Uusually I will take a TV series over a movie any day but I like series books generally more than stand alones too.

Christina, I will definitely be posting pictures when it's done. Holy cow we have been talking about it forever and even argued about the room/furniture.

My MIL is coming in Nov and she is going to help us hang the wallpaper border. We haven't done that before and it will be good to have a third set of hands I think. She just requested that the walls be painted and have a few days to dry first.

I don't know I mean it could be we have a long wait still. But it seems like I have seen a lot of others with the agency get placed at the middle of the two year wait mark. I just have a feeling with this next year. Plus I'm a planner person and do not like rushing around stressing at the last minute. And will I will get some to just look at the cuteness since I know in reality that the bedding is mostly just for looks anyway. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

The American Medical Association has weighed in on Obama's new health care package. The Allergists were in favor of scratching it, but the Dermatologists advised not to make any rash moves. The Gastroenterologists had sort of a gut feeling about it, but the Neurologists thought the Administration had a lot of nerve. Meanwhile, Obstetricians felt certain everyone was laboring under a misconception, while the Ophthalmologists considered the idea shortsighted. Pathologists yelled, "Over my dead body!" while the Pediatricians said, "Oh, grow up!" The Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was madness, while the Radiologists could see right through it. Surgeons decided to wash their hands of the whole thing and the Internists claimed it would indeed be a bitter pill to swallow. The Plastic Surgeons opined that this proposal would "put a whole new face on the matter". The Podiatrists thought it was a step forward, but the Urologists were pissed off at the whole idea. Anesthesiologists thought the whole idea was a gas, and those lofty Cardiologists didn't have the heart to say no. In the end, the Proctologists won out, leaving the entire decision up to the a******s in Washington.
    The American Medical Association has weighed in on Obama's new health care package. The Allergists were in favor of scratching it, but the Dermatologists advised not to make any rash moves. The Gastroenterologists had sort of a gut feeling about it, but the Neurologists thought the Administration had a lot of nerve. Meanwhile, Obstetricians felt certain everyone was laboring under a misconception, while the Ophthalmologists considered the idea shortsighted. Pathologists yelled, "Over my dead body!" while the Pediatricians said, "Oh, grow up!" The Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was madness, while the Radiologists could see right through it. Surgeons decided to wash their hands of the whole thing and the Internists claimed it would indeed be a bitter pill to swallow. The Plastic Surgeons opined that this proposal would "put a whole new face on the matter". The Podiatrists thought it was a step forward, but the Urologists were pissed off at the whole idea. Anesthesiologists thought the whole idea was a gas, and those lofty Cardiologists didn't have the heart to say no. In the end, the Proctologists won out, leaving the entire decision up to the a******s in Washington.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer I can not wait to see pictures! and I am totally with you on wanting to be prepared! Nothing wrong with that!

...and that was too funny!!!

Because we only see movies with good SFX in the theater, we don't get to see a lot of things that I want to see. DH is the one who really likes the superhero movies and stuff. I tolerate most of them!

I've never heard of Gravity, either. Unless you mean that wonderful force that makes life on this planet possible! And, for that matter, the entire planet...

I love going to the movies, except for the cost. But if I was filthy rich, I'd go frequently, and buy all the crap there. Mmm... But I very, very seldom go. Partially due to cost, partially time. I think the last one was Shrek 3, when Maiya was 8 weeks old! That's the only one she's been to. Or was that Shrek 4...?

I admit to liking the super hero movies! And animated / family movies. Not so big on depressing movies.

Jennifer, I am EXACTLY the opposite from you. I can't stand series. I like my books / movies / shows to have a definite end. If I watch a TV series, I like to wait until it's all over, then watch it at my pace.

And how exciting about the nursery!! You know your time is coming; every day brings you closer. Good to be prepared!

Also, loved that quip about the health care!

Someone save me from my husband... He's whining that he's feeling ignored. After he slept through Saturday. Chose to go out with friends (instead of us) on Sunday (notice he wasn't there, L?). Slept Monday evening after work. Slept Tuesday evening after work. Still isn't home at 8:35 today. And HE is mad at me because HE is feeling ignored.

And no, he's not sick or anything. He just sleeps when we're around, and stays up and plays on his computer when we're not, or when we're asleep. Grr.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Janet, I hardly ever see your DH. I see your mom (and I think you see mine) more than I see your DH. I have to admit that I didn't notice he wasn't there. I might not have noticed anyway, what with all of the getting lost in the corn fields and all that.

You are welcome to come up for Trick or Treating on Halloween, btw. I do have to get up at 4:30 AM the next day, and the kids go to bed early also, so of necessity it will be sort of a short night, but I think we can do something.

I'm all stressed tonight. Last night I was done with my shower and getting ready to comb my hair when I heard S. cough a couple of peculiar coughs in his bed and they sounded all hoarse. I went over to his bed after the third one as he was still sleeping, and DH came in the room. He coughed again, and it was a horrible sound, like he was choking. I picked him up and held him up across my shoulder. He started spitting up a little bit and DH asked if he was throwing up. But he hadn't been, just coughing. The next hour S. woke up more and coughed and screamed and spoke in this hoarse raspy voice and shrieked as his throat burned and refused to drink water and coughed and choked some more. All we could figure was that he had refluxed and aspirated some stomach contents into his lungs. Then he threw up a little bit after he coughed so much he spasmed. It was a horrible hour.

I slept with both ears open and he woke up about 4 AM and counted down to liftoff with a raspy voice, but he sounded pretty normal and then went back to sleep. So I went to work at 5 AM and asked DH to see how he was when he woke up. I picked him up from preschool, and he was coughing a really junky cough and he had a fever and he'd peed his pants and had no clue that he'd done it. He didn't even know his pants were wet. He seemed a little out of it. So now I'm thinking he's got aspiration pneumonia. He says his neck hurts. The scary thing is that just in the past few weeks we've been turning off the baby monitor in the evenings because he's 3 1/2 and our house is really small and he's old enough to get out of bed and use the bathroom if he needs it or get us if he needs anything, so we figured we didn't need the incessant static. However, if I hadn't been in the bedroom when he started choking, he wouldn't have been able to let us know. The baby monitor is back on, static and all. And I'm a little nervous.

I called the nurse line tonight, and I have a phone appointment with his doctor in the morning, in between the twin's school drop off and taking my mom to the airport and taking my car into the shop and picking the twins up from school. Whew. I hope he'll be okay.

Oh, L, how scary!

"Aspiration pneumonia" are the two words speech pathologists are most terrified of. LOL. But I'm certain he'll be fine.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Oh my goodness, L! That is scary! What is the treatment for aspiration pneumonia? Didn't his teachers notice he was unwell?

I don't see movies in the theater ever but for very occassionally we take the kids. We recently saw cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2. Cute.

Boo on your dh Janet. With?

We saw Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2 also. It wasn't as good as I hoped and I didn't feel well that day so that didn't help. I did adore all the names of the food animals though. I spent a lot of the movie trying to figure out what clever names they'd all be called. I couldn't come up with one for the pickles...

I'm sorry about S! That sounds scary. I hope he's better soon.

DH is getting Lasik surgery today, so if you all could send out good thoughts, that would be great!

Oh, that sounds scary! Poor pumpkin! Hope it turns out to be something quite benign.

Wow, that does sound scary, L. I hope he's well soon and that it seemed more serious than it is (if that makes sense).

Good luck to your dh on the Lasik, Kate!

I have three medical appointments today. One in endocrinology, a mammogram *joy!!!* and then hematology. There's a gap between the mammo and the hemo appts so I was thinking of running down to the clinic for my flu shot. I feel like wandering the halls of the complex and sticking my head into every department I've been seen in the last year (which is a lot) and asking them if they want to check me out too. Open for business!
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Good luck at your appointments!

Well the eye center just called DH and said they are not sure after all if he is eligible for Lasik. Apparently the doctor doesn't come in to check the results of the dilation, which he got done weeks ago, until the day your surgery is scheduled. That makes no sense to me. He had to schedule days off for recovery, take eyedrops for days beforehand, plan for someone to get Josh off the bus because I have to go with DH, and they can't even know beforehand if he's eligible for the surgery? He is going to raise such a stink if this doesn't go through. Not to mention the mental stress of preparing for the procedure and the possibility that he could go blind. So now he has to go in at 2:30 to get his eye test redone. It makes no sense to me.

Since we were talking about food recently, I'm just going to put this here.
    I went grocery shopping yesterday and DD1 happened to come with me. Usually she doesn't bother, but I'd taken her in to the dr. She has a sinus infection. That poor girl - wisdom teeth, flu, now sinus infection... she's been really suffering and miserable for the last few weeks. Anyway, whenever she goes to the store with me I end up buying all kinds of things that I would normally not buy but that a teenager fancies. Chicken nuggets, cookies, stuff like that. Yesterday she was on a roll, and besides a box of Reeses Puffs cereal (gross!!!) she managed somehow to convince me to buy a box of candy bars in the halloween aisle. A BOX. of CANDY BARS. 18 full size bars - snickers, twix, 3 musketeers. I've bought a lot of candy in my life, but until yesterday I had never sunk so low as to buy a whole box of full-size candy bars.
    And of course we have to hide them from dh and Noe -- they have no willpower and will eat way more than they should. Noe doesn't like most candy, but she is a fiend for chocolate! And DH is an inveterate late-night snacker. DD1 and I are moderate and will let most of them sit until they go stale. So I had to put the whole box of bars into one of my dresser drawers, and agree with dd1 that when she wants one she will come ask me. Meanwhile, every time I open my drawer the box is staring at me and I feel so ashamed.

On the plus side, at the grocery store dd1 also asked for a big bunch of kale, superfood juice, tons of fresh fruit and vegetables. Thank goodness she likes her fruit & veg... gotta put something in there besides candy and cereal and chicken nuggets. (She loves chicken nuggets. Yuck, right? I get her the all-natural white meat breast kind, but still. She has friends who call her "Nugget" as a nickhame.)

Oh no! Man, Kate, that is ridiculous. Really bad planning on their part. I sure do hope it all goes through. It's so stressful planning for a procedure like that, it would be awful not to get to go through with it after everything.

Our last movie outing was to go see Epic, on our anniversary in May. We talked about going to another one before this little guy is born, but my mom goes to her boyfriends on the weekend and being that she keeps Nolan all week I don't like asking her to keep him on the weekend.

I like the Marvel comic/Super Hero movies - in general. I was soooper upset they changed Spider Man, so I didn't see the last one. I am beyond over Batman movies, but when I saw they were coming out with another Thor I got really excited.

I can't remember the last time I watched a movie in a theater. Years ago, at least before Mira was born, I think. Used to go to a lot of movies in India, but not here (we were too flat broke after we moved here to spend on movies, and I guess that habit was broken).

Gretchen, I'm with DD1 on chicken nuggets. I have to exercise a great deal of self control around them. And I don't even care if I know it's made of pink slime.

Kate that is so weird. I hope that things go well!

L, I hope that S is doing much better today! That sounds scary.

Hmmm, chicken nuggets! I used to get them all the time back when i could still eat mcD's because that is where we hug out a lot in high school. Even at a restaurant, I will still often get chicken fingers. And dip them in ketchup.

I hope all the appts go well today! It's a pain doing so many at once but I suppose better than going there three different days.

And now I don't know if we are painting this weekend or not. We are going to make a pro/con list tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone know how long you are supposed to let paint air out before putting a baby in a room? i want to do it now...DH is leaning towards waiting until we have baby at home. As in being at home with a new little baby and painting and putting together a crib and dresser. And we didn't even put up a xmas tree Molly's first year....she came home in Nov so was about 15/16 weeks old at Christmas. I was just too dang tired to deal with a big project.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah, it's a no-go for Lasik. We are not happy!

I don't know about the paint, sorry.

Is he going to go to work or just have a long weekend? Maybe you guys can do something fun if he keeps the time off? Maybe it's better it's a no-go....I don't think I would want them doing that on my eyes if that is how they work. And now he doesn't have to worry about going blind.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

This is true!
    I think he is still going to take the days off, which actually means he won't go back to work until Tuesday. There are some things I was going to do with Josh that now DH can come to if he wants.

I don't know about the time frame, but I am pretty sensitive to the smell of paint and find that it lingers for a good week or so.

I would vote doing it sooner rather than later. I seriously can't imagine painting, putting together a crib, etc after bringing baby home

When I was reading about using essential oils for my candles the other day, I came across people who said that if you add some to your paint it'll get rid of the smell. I read that you should use 15 ml per 5 gallons of paint. (make sure it's 100% essential oil and not just scented oil)

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    I don't know about the time frame, but I am pretty sensitive to the smell of paint and find that it lingers for a good week or so.

I would vote doing it sooner rather than later. I seriously can't imagine painting, putting together a crib, etc after bringing baby home
    That is my thought too. I'm just trying to find more pros for doing it now vs waiting like DH thinks he might want to do. The only con to waiting I think is going to end up being having to look at it for a potentially long time and going from a queen guest room to only a twin.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I would do the painting now; you won't want to be painting with a new baby in the house. There won't be time, you'll probably find!

Kate, that's terrible about the dr. office waiting until now to tell your DH he couldn't have it done. My DH would probably flip his lid, and he's usually a laid back fella!

Gretch, I loooove chicken nuggets, too. I know they are bad and all that, but they are just so yummy! Give me some mcnuggets and fries and you can color me happy!

I've just spent an hour creating a smart board presentation on the phrase "even so." Who knew one phrase could give kids such trouble? LOL.

I'm actually off now to get some oreos and milk. I need some energy! Just wanted to say hey and that I'm lurking and mod'ing mostly these days on here, but I still love each and every one of you heathens.