Page 1437 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 437937133713871427143514361437143814391447 ... LastLast
Results 43,081 to 43,110 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

  1. #43081
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    <<shudder>> I hate tics!

    B, I hope Kai's ear is feeling better.

    Christina, I hope you find something that works. I can't imagine having something like a cold sore from November till now. How awful.

    I'll have to look into having a dentist laser zap a cold sore. I don't care what it costs, I'd do it! There for a while I was getting them nearly monthly again. I almost hate to say that phase seems to have ended. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  2. #43082

    Default

    Popping in - When I get cold sores I talk to my dentist too. They are the ones that prescribed me the oral cold sore medicine (used to treat all forms of herpes) and I just have a huge bottle at home for if I feel one starting. This is a bit different than a cold sore thought - no matter what a dentist specializes in the mouth so they would be a better bet for finding the correct treatment! I sure hope you're able to get it taken care of soon, cold sores are the WORST. I get them constantly unless I'm pregnant
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)


    Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

  3. #43083
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    That's funny. Up until the last year I'd only get two cold sores a year, except when I was pregnant with Conner. My first pregnancy symptom with him was one cold sore after another, and they kept getting bigger and uglier.

  4. #43084
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Remember when I b!tched about my employer pulling our insurance as an option effective January of this year, and with the only other option it meant we only had the choice of two notoriously inept, incompetent, and awful hospitals/medical groups? I opted to go with the closest sh!tty medical group/hospital, which is Guthrie Clinic and Robert Packer Hospital. Both have stories upon stories of horrors and mistakes so severe, you wonder how they're even allowed to practice. I've often joked they only hire medical providers that have been sued for medical malpractice or let go from their previous employers. I wouldn't be surprised if something like this was the case because they're just awful. Awful.

    In the last 2 weeks, my brother's stepdaughter (well, his girlfriend's daughter, but typing that out all the time is time consuming, and he lives there and is essentially the stepdad). Anyway, she's been very, very sick. He was complaining to me 3-4 nights ago that Stacy keeps taking Lily (just 1 year) to the dr's at Guthrie and they keep telling her she's fine, her lungs are clear. But Tim and Stacy have been gravely concerned that she's not fine, and she keeps taking her back. Twice in the last couple days.

    Finally, last night at 11:30 p.m. she had such a coughing fit that Stacy screamed for Tim to call 911. Tim said they didn't have time, just get her in the van and they were going to a different hospital this time.

    Long story short, the poor baby's eyes were showing signs of hemorrhaging from fighting to breath/lack of oxygen. This new hospital admitted her last night, have her in a tent, and give her breathing treatments every 2 hours. She's gravely ill and has been. I'm freaking PISSED that Robert Packer and Guthrie Clinic were so incompetent.

    Oh, the ER they took her to that said she was gravely ill (RSV? I don't know, but that's what I suspect. I'll find out later) is the one that I always used. The one where I always took my kids. I hate that they're out of network now.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  5. #43085

    Default

    That's so scary, Chrissy. I'm glad she's getting the treatment she needs and that they didn't just blindly believe what the other place said. It's frightening that a health care provider could be so incompetent.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09


  6. #43086
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,842

    Default

    Just insane. That's my biggest thing about healthcare - this in-network/out-of-network crap. If people had a choice in hospitals, who would ever go to the incompetent clinic/hospital? They would never stay in business in a million years. Just let us pick our doctors, without telling us who we can see and who we can't see. Such BS.

    I hope baby is feeling better soon.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  7. #43087
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    That's so scary, Chrissy. I'm glad she's getting the treatment she needs and that they didn't just blindly believe what the other place said. It's frightening that a health care provider could be so incompetent.
    It really is. And unfortunately, it's one of many stories I have from people I know. And I have my own horror story about them too.

    When I had Bobbie, I was going to Guthrie with the intention of having her at Robert Packer. I had developed preeclampsia but they didn't dx me. My mother in law commented about how ballooned I looked and said she thought I had toxemia. I didn't know what that was, and was seeing my midwife so I didn't listen to her. I had an appointment 1 day where they said I was fine, see you in 2 weeks. 2 days after that appointment, I woke up gushing blood. My BP was 210/134. I did indeed have 'toxemia' (or, preeclampsia) but they never caught it? HOW? Then the midwife told me my baby was dead and proceeded to yell at me when I started crying. She was shrieking, "Do you want to go into cardiac arrest or have a stroke? You need to calm down!" Of course the OBGYN on call had to be called in and she also argued with him about whether or not to send me to a nearby hospital that specialized in high risk pregnancies. He finally snapped at her, "We do not have the facilities here to save her or her baby! She's going!" Bless Dr. Rank-if it weren't for him Bobbie wouldn't have survived.

    I'm hoping to hear Lily is doing much better after my brother gets a chance to visit her. I'm sending some $ (I don't have much) along so Stacy can eat something. She's been there since late last night and they don't have any money.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  8. #43088
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Just insane. That's my biggest thing about healthcare - this in-network/out-of-network crap. If people had a choice in hospitals, who would ever go to the incompetent clinic/hospital? They would never stay in business in a million years. Just let us pick our doctors, without telling us who we can see and who we can't see. Such BS.

    I hope baby is feeling better soon.
    I'm tempted to solely go to the out of network one and just pay the difference. I've actually suggested this to Jesi with her pregnancy because I'm so concerned about the quality of healthcare she's receiving at Guthrie. She says that so far the pregnancy is normal and there's no reason to switch, but if a problem develops she'll definitely go to United Health Services.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  9. #43089
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,432

    Default

    Yikes, that. is so scary,.Chrissy, about Lily and about Bobbie. I'll keep your brother's family in my thoughts.

    I was at the hospital on Wednesday with Cash to get his eyes tested. The doctor we saw was fabulous with him. She was obviously of Chinese descent.but spoke with a thick Yorkshire accent which tickled me. I have to go back with Cash in a few weeks for him to have his eyes.dilated for another test. She told me she thinks his vision is fine but that he has a slight squint, which is why he closes his left eye to look at something in a distance. He'll more than likely have to wear a patch for awhile to correct it. That should be interesting...how do you get a 3 year old to understand that he should keep an eye patch on? There's only so much pirate role play he'll take!

  10. #43090
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,842

    Default

    Wow, Chrissy! That midwife was just flat-out incompetent! Just one of those things would have been bad enough.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  11. #43091
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,842

    Default

    In other news - I go back to work tomorrow. Tomorrow. Ick. Can't I keep staying home and continue to get a paycheck? I'm not ready to be a productive human being again.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  12. #43092
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,432

    Default

    I can't believe you're back to work already, Mandy! We've only just finished our first week of summer vacation!

  13. #43093
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,842

    Default

    Tell me about it. Working at a school in July is just wrong, any way you look at it.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  14. #43094
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Yikes, that. is so scary,.Chrissy, about Lily and about Bobbie. I'll keep your brother's family in my thoughts.

    I was at the hospital on Wednesday with Cash to get his eyes tested. The doctor we saw was fabulous with him. She was obviously of Chinese descent.but spoke with a thick Yorkshire accent which tickled me. I have to go back with Cash in a few weeks for him to have his eyes.dilated for another test. She told me she thinks his vision is fine but that he has a slight squint, which is why he closes his left eye to look at something in a distance. He'll more than likely have to wear a patch for awhile to correct it. That should be interesting...how do you get a 3 year old to understand that he should keep an eye patch on? There's only so much pirate role play he'll take!
    Aw. Cash sounds like a real trooper! Hopefully he'll leave his patch alone. I don't envy you the task of convincing him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Wow, Chrissy! That midwife was just flat-out incompetent! Just one of those things would have been bad enough.
    Sadly, everyone I know has comparable stories. I think the worst one is when they declined to treat my mom's childhood friend "Stretch" (he was very tall, real name Barry) because he didn't have insurance. He went home and died of a heart attack.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    In other news - I go back to work tomorrow. Tomorrow. Ick. Can't I keep staying home and continue to get a paycheck? I'm not ready to be a productive human being again.
    Wow-it really seems too soon. Didn't you just get off for summer vaca? How many weeks do you get?

    Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I can't believe you're back to work already, Mandy! We've only just finished our first week of summer vacation!
    And that seems just as odd! Just 1 week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Tell me about it. Working at a school in July is just wrong, any way you look at it.
    For real.

    Cornell has very few 10 month positions. Maybe 1 or 2 in IT. I covet those positions, but will probably never, ever get one. They're in high demand.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  15. #43095

    Default

    Summer flew by! When I see the back to school flyers I feel so grateful that we get to homeschool. We still have a lot of things on our list of things we want to do this summer and thankfully there's no rush. Except for that crazy little thing called winter.

  16. #43096
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Summer flew by! When I see the back to school flyers I feel so grateful that we get to homeschool. We still have a lot of things on our list of things we want to do this summer and thankfully there's no rush. Except for that crazy little thing called winter.
    Oh the profanity Bridget! How dare you use that ugly, nasty word!!!

    I always get depressed about how short summer is. I need to move. Except, I'm too lazy.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  17. #43097
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,842

    Default

    Yeah, "my" IT person is 12 month, too. We turn in our laptops over the summer and she gets to maintain them while we aren't using them. Yay for her? At least she doesn't have us breathing down her neck the whole time.

    And, in related news - I'll be back to the laptop this year because I'm itinerant. I was using the desktop in my office, because it was there and shiny new, and really got to love using Windows 7. The laptop is about two years older, not terribly old, but it's running XP. I asked her when I turned it in if there was any possibility of loading Windows 7 on it and she just laughed at me and told me there was no chance. I'm very sad about this.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  18. #43098
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Yeah, "my" IT person is 12 month, too. We turn in our laptops over the summer and she gets to maintain them while we aren't using them. Yay for her? At least she doesn't have us breathing down her neck the whole time.

    And, in related news - I'll be back to the laptop this year because I'm itinerant. I was using the desktop in my office, because it was there and shiny new, and really got to love using Windows 7. The laptop is about two years older, not terribly old, but it's running XP. I asked her when I turned it in if there was any possibility of loading Windows 7 on it and she just laughed at me and told me there was no chance. I'm very sad about this.
    They must not utilize SCCM. I can image 8 computers in less than 4 hours and that includes all our core software. Transferring data takes time, but in-place-upgrade is an option through SCCM. My self-appointed task is to make that sh!t work. That would host the data on a server, upgrade your machine and install the applications, and put you data back in all the proper nooks & crannies.

    I'm only limited to doing 8 machines at once because that's all the space I have. If we cleared out the servers on the other side of the room, I could do 16. I want to virtualize those servers so we can do that.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  19. #43099
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,432

    Default

    We get 6 weeks summer vacation because we get the other 7 thoroughout the year. I like it this way better! It usually works like 6 weeks at school then one week off in that pattern except for Christmas and Easter where we get 2 weeks off.

  20. #43100
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,842

    Default

    I wish you were my IT, Chrissy. Although I like my IT person. I don't know what the reasoning was behind that. It might be a site license issue. The new machines are leased from a company and will be replaced every so often, but the laptops were purchased. So that might be the reason, too. No idea.

    Ash, I think that sounds like a good pattern. After about 6 weeks is when I'm ready for a break.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  21. #43101
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I wish you were my IT, Chrissy. Although I like my IT person. I don't know what the reasoning was behind that. It might be a site license issue. The new machines are leased from a company and will be replaced every so often, but the laptops were purchased. So that might be the reason, too. No idea.

    Ash, I think that sounds like a good pattern. After about 6 weeks is when I'm ready for a break.
    I forget about the licensing issue most businesses, especially schools, face. We have a site license with Microsoft so we can put Win 7 on all our machines.

    They're going to have to do something by the springtime however because XP will officially no longer be supported by Microsoft, meaning they will no longer be issuing updates. It will quickly become vulnerable.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  22. #43102
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    11,842

    Default

    We actually just "outgrew" that problem. The district had thousands of machines running unsupported software and there were viruses all over the place. I think the desktop I was using when I first started with the district was using a pre-XP OS, maybe 2000? Not sure. They just got everything to a place where it was reasonably functional. It will be interesting to see what they do with XP in this case.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

  23. #43103
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    We actually just "outgrew" that problem. The district had thousands of machines running unsupported software and there were viruses all over the place. I think the desktop I was using when I first started with the district was using a pre-XP OS, maybe 2000? Not sure. They just got everything to a place where it was reasonably functional. It will be interesting to see what they do with XP in this case.
    Oh dear.

    That's so typical too. No one considers the cost of the IT person who has to run around cleaning up and repairing out-of-date computers when they're saying 'no' to new hardware/software purchases. When you add it all up, especially a Microsoft OS that's out of date, it's far more costly to have old equipment. Not to mention the frustration of its users trying to simply do their jobs with those machines.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  24. #43104
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    We're averaging 6 viruses a month because java is out of date. It's on the top of my 'to-do' list to push Java updates, but it's such a complex process. I can push it, but our users will quickly be harassed with the "There's a Java Update Available" and subduing that pop-up isn't as easy as it should be. Java WANTS our users harassing us, so we'll update to the latest version...but so much of what my staff does depends on Cornell specific software, and I need to wait for the programmers at CIT to get that stuff updated before I can allow Java to update. Thus, users see "Java Update Available" constantly. It's quite a complex fiasco, really. Java has it written into their code to pop that up on a certain date, even if all other settings are set to suppress it. I only researched one day, but what I was reading was other Sys Admins that were literally breaking Java's code to quiet it. I'm not willing to do that. I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  25. #43105
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,664

    Default

    Poor baby! I hope that its not lack of oxygen but just from coughing. My sister has done that a few times...coughing breaks blood vessels in the eyes and the whites turn blood red. Looks so scary but goes away. I hope it's something like that with the baby.


    the bad hospital sucks

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  26. #43106
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Poor baby! I hope that its not lack of oxygen but just from coughing. My sister has done that a few times...coughing breaks blood vessels in the eyes and the whites turn blood red. Looks so scary but goes away. I hope it's something like that with the baby.


    the bad hospital sucks
    Her oxygen level was indeed extremely low. She's staying in another night.

    Tim just returned from visiting. Said she's still running a fever and had another coughing fit while there. She's having breathing treatments every two hours.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  27. #43107

    Default

    RSV is nasty. It took Kai, I want to say, nearly 8 months to fully recover. For weeks him and I slept totally upright in a chair as o that he could breathe. I hope the breathing treatment will bring her relief and rest. Those coughs are so hard on their little bodies.

  28. #43108
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    RSV is nasty. It took Kai, I want to say, nearly 8 months to fully recover. For weeks him and I slept totally upright in a chair as o that he could breathe. I hope the breathing treatment will bring her relief and rest. Those coughs are so hard on their little bodies.
    It is, but I'm not certain that's what she has. Tim didn't say. I just guessed that perhaps Lily had it based on my own experience with Bobbie having it.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


  29. #43109
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14,664

    Default

    Poor baby, her momma and Tim

    Jennifer, 35, DH 36

  30. #43110
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    29,722

    Default

    I just chatted with Stacy briefly. Baby is still struggling. Stacy's whipped but wanted to say thanks. She's anxious all this is going to chase Tim away. I assured her it's fine. He hasn't said anything in that regard at all. He's worried about Lily. He loves her kids and he's just trying to do the best he can for them while Stacy's away with Lily. Of course it's stressful, but Tim knew what the deal was having kids. He was heavily involved with mine after all.

    I feel so bad for all of them. The hospital told her there's very little chance of Lily being released tomorrow. Syd's going to stay with her other 3 kids so Tim can spend the night with Stacy at the hospital. I'm very close and just a phone call away if Syd needs me.

    Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •