Page 1432 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 4329321332138214221430143114321433143414421482 ... LastLast
Results 42,931 to 42,960 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

That is cute about the chickens!
    Once our thermostat reads over about 87, I get really crabby. It's no good. I either cook a chicken in the crockpot if I'm thinking ahead, or grill. Or eat a cold dinner. Because no, I'm not sweating in a 100-degree kitchen. I have a fan in there, but it just doesn't cut it.

Elly, food restrictions can be overwhelming. And you're right, it's tough when you're trying to feed kids too (who, of course, have their own preferences and pickiness and so forth). Most of the time, I ended up cooking one meal for the rest of the family and eating something different myself, but what that usually meant was that I cooked their meal and then they sat down and ate and I was still trying to figure out what the heck I could eat, which just felt sad sometimes. But like I said, once I got the hang of it and had a bunch of things to choose from that I liked (even if it was a bit monotonous), it became easier.

I wonder if you could find some inspiration from low-carb or paleo cookbooks and websites? They usually have some pretty yummy-looking stuff that's just protein and veggies. You could add in the grains you can eat. Your dh is not very nice to make fun of your food when you're trying so hard to improve your health (and it's obviously not exactly fun). He should be more supportive.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Elly, my DH has been eating mostly Paleo for a few years now. He is the cook in the family and he will make something mostly carb-free for himself and then cook me a potato or some rice to go along with it, so it's not that much extra work for him and the total grain we eat is pretty low. When we have "pasta night" he'll make a great sauce and boil some pasta for me, but he'll eat his sauce over some sauteed peppers. Little substitutions like that. He has a lot of websites he goes to for following the paleo and primal lifestyles. Let me know if you want links.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 07-18-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I'd probably starve if I had food restrictions. I am horrible about eating and very lazy when it comes to cooking.

It's miserably hot here, too. It's nearly 90 degrees here which is absolutely unheard of!!! We have no A/C. I am loving the heat and loving that it feels like summer, but the heat is draining. I don't think it's bound to last much longer, so I am going to keep enjoying this heat wave. My poor FIL who is allergic to sunlight is really suffering, though, poor dude. The kids are loving running around naked in the back yard. In fact, I think I'm going to have to turn this laptop off because it is generating too much heat! Aiee!

I am no help in the gluten-free conversation. I am not even sure what that entails at all I agree that your DH shouldn't make fun of your food. HOpefully you can talk to him and tell him that it upsets you and he will stop.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

My FIL was admitted to the hospital today because he was having trouble breathing in the heat. He has mild emphysema among other things. They are monitoring him but I think he'll be ok. We run our AC's if it's over like 75 in the house. I can't deal and we all get cranky and it's just not worth it. It only adds about $20-30 a month to do our entire living space and it's only for part of june and usually july and august. Sometimes a little into sept. Well worth the money IMO.
    AKA Lisa724

I've had to run AC units since I moved out (two summers now) and it's definitely much cheaper than heating a place.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Oh, and I hope your FIL is ok. This weather is brutal on the very young, older, and sick people

Here AC is not optional. We wait to turn it on until the inside temps hit 80. We have two units, and I keep the one in the family room set to 79, and the one near the bedrooms set to 78. I just can't stand the contrast between 110+ outside and freezing air inside. It's too difficult for the body to adjust. My big problem is that I really rely on the heater in winter. I keep it mid-70s because otherwise I just can't bear it after being 80 all summer. We end up spending about the same on heating and cooling in the months we have them running, the only difference is that we run the coolers so much longer. There are a couple of months we can get away without using anything and those are my favorite times of year.

I'd need a 2nd full time job to keep my house temp in the mid-70's in the winter. I try to do 72, but when it gets to be over $600/month to maintain that, I drop it to 68. I'm miserable and it makes me wanna cry, but i cannot afford to have it higher.

It doesn't cost us that much...although it costs way too much. This house is not energy efficient in any way.

Both the house in Owego and the one in Willseyville were supposed to be energy efficient, and depending on the severity of the cold both had the potential to cost more than $600 for one month to keep warm. The Owego house (where Rich is now) is fuel oil so when we moved back we opted to heat with electric heaters in every room. That was 300-400/month.

We have window AC's in the living room, office and upstairs in our bedroom. They keep the house reasonably cool if we run them on a sort of rotation. I can't stand being hot. I just went and checked the thermostat which is in the dining room and it says 82 but the AC's are set to 68. We turn them off before it gets that cool though.

We went to the beach for 2 hours on Tuesday and 2 hours on Wednesday and I got a nasty sunburn on my shoulders I swear I sprayed them down really well but I always seem to get burned there.

I hope your FIL is ok! Yikes.
    We have a portable a/c unit, but can really only hook it up in our bedroom because the rest of the house is too open for it to make a difference. It's pretty unwieldy and kind of a pain to set up, so we only use it when it's really roasting (over 90 in the house). Otherwise, we have a few floor fans, and we just plan to be outside in the shade in the afternoon and evening when it's the hottest. We turn on the sprinklers, fill Noe's baby pool, or go to the neighborhood pool (although honestly I hate going to the pool when it's really hot, because it's so crowded and the water is all fouled up with sunscreen and people). Since we put the back lawn in recently, it's made a big difference. It's shaded in late afternoon, and the grass stays nice and cool even when it's very hot out. I put a quilt out there and we just lay around eating popsicles and frozen peas.

Oh I hear you on the crowded pools. I don't like it at all! We went to a new pool the other day and it was so packed that I had a hard time keeping track of Savana and Kai. Not to mention the loads of moms standing around gossiping and talking trash about their husbands only pausing to yell at their kids for splashing them! Ok, that was one group of moms but there were about 8 of them and they sat in a circle in the shallow end just yammering away like they were at home in the living room.

I took Josh to a bay and the ocean. The bay water was kind of gross and the bottom was slimy and covered in sea grass or seaweed or whatever it was. I took him to the ocean the next day and the bottom was nicer. I was so surprised when the guard at the ocean said they don't allow floaties. I saw kids Josh's age and younger just playing around and it was really busy too. Josh had a thing around his waist that we got from the Y and when we said it was coast guard approved the guard let us use it. Josh was afraid of the water for years and now he loves it, but he doesn't know how to swim yet, so I want him to be able to paddle around in his floatie and just get used to it. I will probably take him to a pool or a quiet lake and teach him how to swim myself since he's already in karate and we're thinking of doing another week of camp in August. Have any of you taught your kids how to swim or did you all take them to lessons? I'm afraid he's getting kind of old for those beginner classes.

Kate, I am teaching mine how to swim. Savana can do it but not with much finesse. Kai is getting there. The swimming lessons at the ymca are not affordable for us right now and the city lessons are run by a woman who tried to force Savana in the water when we signed her up at 3 years old so we won't do that again. Mine love to wear their life jackets at the beach and paddle around (Savana takes her off and on depending on what she feels like) and that is what we have done all summer. But the last time we were there, the apparent supervisor told me that if they wear life jackets they have to be in arm's reach at all times. But if they aren't wearing anything they are free to swim away from me. Uhh...what?? I didn't get a chance to question it because she stormed away afterwards and got on her walkie talkie and started scolding the teenaged lifegaurds for not enforcing that rule. Does that make any sense to you guys? Because I don't get it at all.

No it doesn't make sense to me either.

That doesn't make any sense to me at all Bridget.

I remember my Aunt Cheryl taught all of us to swim by having us lay on our bellies in the water with her hands under our bellies. She'd spin and walk around while we paddled. She'd keep telling us to kick our feet and cup our hands. She demonstrated how to move our arms. In my recollection, it only took a day of that but honestly she probably worked with us quite a few times. There were 6 of us. God bless her.

I tried that with Josh but he begs me to let go and just kicks and moves his arms until he sinks. I'm not sure what to tell him to do to help him float. I keep saying to keep his legs and belly up.

DH is a former swim instructor so he's teaching Noe to swim, but we're being pretty relaxed about it. She loves the water, so we're just encouraging that, although dh plays a lot of games with her where he encourages her to put her face in, blow bubbles, jump in and hold her breath, kick her feet like a dolphin, etc.
    I think we will sign her up for a group class at some point this summer just to give her a different perspective, since she loves being with other kids and watching what they do.
    At the river she wears a life jacket all the time, but at home in the hot tub she never wears any flotation stuff except a ring she likes to play in, but she can take that on and off herself and we look at it more like a toy. When I take her to the pool, in the big pool I like to take her in without a life jacket, but sometimes she asks me to wear one so she can swim away by herself. And Bridget, that rule is really weird.

Well, he does have to relax and trust you. I think I'd just work on getting him comfortable letting you hold him up (on his belly) in the water. Aunt Cheryl held us pretty high and as we got comfortable, lowered us a little at a time (with warning) till we were just about in a natural swimming position. It takes patience, for sure. And like I said, he really has to trust that you have him. I'm not sure I would have been so comfortable with the whole thing if I didn't see her doing it with my cousin's first. I was a wee bit afraid of the water myself.

Maybe if there's another child his age around that's more trusting, you can demonstrate with him/her?

I think he trusts me, he just really prefers to do things on his own. It's painful to watch him try and try something when I know I can help him but he refuses.

The other thing you can do is have him swim/doggie paddle to you from another person or something substantial (like a dock?). We also did that when learning to swim. Cheryl would move out further and further.

I need to find calmer water too, but the problem with calm water is that there's grass and other stuff growing on the bottom :yuck:
    Last edited by daylilies; 07-18-2013 at 07:39 PM.

My guess is the rule is there to keep kids who cannot swim near the parents. With floaties on, kids get too brave and it's not as safe. No floaties and kid shows he can swim, much safer to let them venture out more. Me, I'm NOT a fan of floaties. I think it gives kids too much false confidence and security.

I actually started swim lessons under a year old and do not recall ever not knowing how to swim. I know by age four, I had a private swim teacher and used to be a good swimmer with great strokes, I'm just slow slow slow. So eventually I stopped lessons because i was not getting to the next level after trying a few times when I was like 13 and by that point was doing more like the Y or city lessons.

We had a pool and I couldn't take the kids I was babysitting in there unless my parents were home when i was 14 or 15 but by the time I was 17, I was babysitting other peoples kids and we were all swimming....and I was the oldest person there and in charge. I ended up teaching a couple of kids how to swim but it was mostly instinct and some method I can really describe. We used floating toys but I did not put water wings on the kids. IMO they are dangerous. An offical lifejacket when out on open water like a river or lake is a different story. But no water wings were allowed in my pool.

I really miss swimming and am going to have get a suit at some point again....I definitely want to start our baby out early in lessons.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

They are life jackets though, not floaties. I am way more comfortable with my non swimming child wearing that if they are not arms reach!

Kate, Josh is a lot like Savana. She wants to learn everything herself. So perhaps I should correct myself in that she really has pretty much taught herself outside of a few sessions at the YMCA when we used to belong there.

Ok, now that I am on my laptop I can tell this story, although I can't make paragraphs. It's going back to the yammering moms at the pool. So two of them were having a conversation about getting their kids ready for preschool and how they had to be completely potty trained. The one says this: She has been so excited about preschool but she keeps having accidents so I said "You know what? You keep having accidents, they are not going to let you come to preschool!" and she says, 'But Mommy, I can wear a pull up', and I tell her that no one in preschool wears pull ups and all the other kids will laugh at her." I seriously had to pick my jaw up. Then the other mom responds with this: "Oh well J was having accidents too but he hates pull ups so I told him I'd do him one better and he could wear diapers if he didn't want to use the potty and boy did that stop those accidents." I could NOT believe it! I swear to you, I am very much an each to their own type of person and try very hard not to be judgy judgerton but these women were acting like their THREE YEAR OLDS (3!!!!) were having accidents just to be jerks. They were like heh heh, I showed him!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

My kids are in a summer camp right now that is sports-themed (they are rotating through learning basketball, soccer, football, track and field, as well as some arts and crafts and nature stations), and one of the reasons I signed up for it, besides the good reviews, is the fact that it had swimming included in it. Daily swimming, every day, five days a week, for a two-week program.

We had taken them for swimming lessons about a year ago, and I have mentioned on here that it did not end up well. Claire was dunked and R. ended up letting go of the side and drifting silently down to the bottom of the pool without anyone noticing for a little bit. It was horrible. They were not assessed for their comfort levels. Even with a 1:3 ratio, I did not feel like they were getting any personalized instruction or that the instructor was spending time getting to know what they needed. On day 1, when they were too scared to put their faces in the water, he wanted them to show them how they could kick their way across the pool. This was the beginning class, btw. It was not a mistake.

Anyway, this time it's going much better. Claire in particular is loving it. She's coming home every day saying how swimming is her favorite part of the day. She says she is walking underwater. She dunks underwater voluntarily. She kicks. She retrieves rings from the bottom. Part of it is that the twins both had a great experience with kickboards and friendly relatives in a private pool on their trip to Wisconsin, so they were primed to view swimming more favorably, and they spent a lot of time in the water and practiced. Part of it is that they are braver. A year later, they have a lot more experience with getting their heads and faces wet. I've been working on them in the shower and in the times we've gone to lakes and rivers. Both twins are kicking and splashing and moving their arms and blowing their bubbles in the water the way they are supposed to.

I'm really sad with those previous lessons, and I don't know what I could have done differently at the time. That particular swim school too got a ton of good reviews, both from parents I knew and from Yelp. Only one or two outliers mentioned the same kind of experiences we had.

Anyway, I'm glad they're getting better and are happier in the water. I think if we could spend a lot more dedicated time in the water, they'd get much better, faster. But I look at the community pool hours and think there is no way I could take all 3 kids with me safely, and there is no way I can afford more dedicated lessons after this. The summer is booked up, and school time is too busy. Maybe we can go as a family on weekends sometimes....

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I only own one fan. LOL We didn't do ceiling fans either when building...didn't like how they look as much and well we know that with me....I turn the air on if it's getting more than 73/74 inside the house. LOL and after 9.5 years of living with me, Cosmo doesn't do heat either. She is the little Princess afterall. LOL Molly likes the heat much more.

I'm a champion whiner when too hot. Plus it's one the times I notice the asthma.
    I'd like to second this. haha. We keep our place at 67/68 in the summer and I barely leave if it's over 85 outside (which it almost always is). Last summer our AC was on the fritz and it was like 76-ish and I was a mess. I couldn't take it. I actually left and stayed with a friend for a week because it was so bad. I have a lot of chronic pain issues and most of them get way worse in the summer. It was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Ok, now that I am on my laptop I can tell this story, although I can't make paragraphs. It's going back to the yammering moms at the pool. So two of them were having a conversation about getting their kids ready for preschool and how they had to be completely potty trained. The one says this: She has been so excited about preschool but she keeps having accidents so I said "You know what? You keep having accidents, they are not going to let you come to preschool!" and she says, 'But Mommy, I can wear a pull up', and I tell her that no one in preschool wears pull ups and all the other kids will laugh at her." I seriously had to pick my jaw up. Then the other mom responds with this: "Oh well J was having accidents too but he hates pull ups so I told him I'd do him one better and he could wear diapers if he didn't want to use the potty and boy did that stop those accidents." I could NOT believe it! I swear to you, I am very much an each to their own type of person and try very hard not to be judgy judgerton but these women were acting like their THREE YEAR OLDS (3!!!!) were having accidents just to be jerks. They were like heh heh, I showed him!
    That is unbelievable! I would be in complete shock if I heard moms talking like that. So sad for those kids. :/

I really don't remember teaching my girls to swim...but they all know how. It seems like one summer they just started swimming. Lessons were never a big thing around here. Growing up, I only remember one friend taking lessons with a bunch of kids she didn't know. Now the elementary school teaches swimming in school (they didn't have a school pool when I was growing up). That's probably where my girls learned to swim I guess this is where I failed a bit because if it weren't for the school I wouldn't have taught them. Rich doesn't swim at all (barely doggie paddles) and I cannot get in the water unless it's over 90, preferably 95. It's just too darned cold for me.

Bridget, I hear that sort of talk all the time. I'm sorta a freak around here because I'm the only one that doesn't make going potty (among other things) a big deal that needs to be 'battled' with the kids about. There are some things they're just gonna do when they're ready. Unless there's some mental or physical development issue, no one makes it to adulthood still having accidents in their pants. I always figured that was a battle not worth fighting.

Well, until Conner started to 'forget' to go potty on a regular basis when I let him play his game on the computer. Then we went through a phase where he couldn't be on it if he had an accident. This was just a few months ago, since he's been 6. Kinda a different thing.