Page 1431 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 4319311331138114211429143014311432143314411481 ... LastLast
Results 42,901 to 42,930 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Aw, that is sweet, Myles! I love when people open up like that unexpectedly.

Myles, that's nice. She sounds really sweet.

I'm a 6 too. I like rituals. I actually really miss the spiritualism of church sometimes.
    I see a little of the anti-theist in myself too, though, because I get so frustrated with the way religion asks people to interfere in other people's lives and beliefs. Most of both mine and dh's extended family is religious, so we have to deal with it a lot and I know my reaction can come across as antagonistic.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I am between 5 and 6. Savana and Kai are sitting behind me watching Wild Kratts and they saw Danielle Radcliffe on that page and were like, "HARRY POTTER!" lol. I got to tell them he is an atheist (Dan not Harry) and they were excited. In our circle, we are the only ones. I have some cousins who are but they are for sure in the 1 category and they act like anyone who believes is a total idiot.

I don't believe any single one person will save the world. It will take a whole bunch of us together to do it.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

True dat, Chrissy. True dat. I look at it as evolution. We either evolve, or we destroy ourselves.

I'm somewhere between a 5 and a 6 too. We celebrate the holidays, but make them our own. I don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about it in general though. I figure that I can't stand when people preach about or push their religion on me, so I avoid doing the same with my non-religion.

I'm glad you were able to make her feel a little better Myles, it's nice when people open up like that.
    AKA Lisa724

DH is traveling, and their flight had to land in Birmingham (AL) for a sick passenger. Then, they couldn't take off again, because of engine trouble. A flight is supposed to arrive from Philly to take all the passengers to their destination. Upshot is that he has pretty much missed ALL his meetings from this morning (starting at 10:00). At least the plane didn't develop engine trouble when they were 30,000 ft. high.

Oh how aggravating!

Ohhhh *shudder*
    I hate flying. How is your dh doing, by the way? I know he was having a rough time when his dad passed, and I seem to remember he was balking at flying because of some health stuff. I hope he's feeling better.

Yes, it's a blessing that it was just an inconvenience and not a disaster, Suja! Hope he can find a way to circle back to all those meetings he missed without his whole calendar taking a huge hit. I too, would like to know how he's doing.

He came back in a better frame of mind than he went in. I know that he took a lot of solace in the company of his sisters especially, and it bothers him that he can't find that with me. When we talked a couple of days ago, that was one of the things we talked about. I cannot offer him the same sort of commiseration that his sisters can. I didn't grow up with his father, I didn't know him *that* well, and I didn't like him as much as they obviously did. That last part, I kept to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    He came back in a better frame of mind than he went in. I know that he took a lot of solace in the company of his sisters especially, and it bothers him that he can't find that with me. When we talked a couple of days ago, that was one of the things we talked about. I cannot offer him the same sort of commiseration that his sisters can. I didn't grow up with his father, I didn't know him *that* well, and I didn't like him as much as they obviously did. That last part, I kept to myself.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

So, can I just whine for a moment about how annoying it is trying to learn to eat gluten free and living with a man that can't stop himself from making comments about how gross my food looks/smells?!?! Ugh. I mean, he's always been like that so I don't know why I didn't expect it. But seriously. It's hard enough, I don't need reminders that I can't eat anything "easy" anymore! I keep telling him, but I don't think he understands how hard it really is for me. He's always thought my eating habits were weird because I don't eat much processed/pre-packaged food.

Plus, I collect cookie jars. And I ALWAYS had cookies in them. I love baking cookies. It's my thing. Or was. Ugh. I just want a freaking cookie right now. That's probably why it's bothering me so much. haha.

I tried to go gluten free for a bit and that didn't last. I don't have celiacs and not convinced there is any other reason to do it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah, if you don't have celiac's or a gluten sensitivity, there really is no benefit. But I'm not going to complain about people using it as a fad diet and getting the benefit of larger food producers making gluten free foods that are at regular grocery stores and not just in health food stores!

I tried going gluten free in '09 when I was diagnosed, but it didn't last. Maybe like 3 months, I think? But it was so frustrating and difficult I just didn't feel like it was worth it. Unfortunately, now I may have miscarried because of it. So I've got to be more serious about it.

That's just rude. He needs to knock it off.

You can make a peanut butter cookie! What kind of cookie are you craving? Have you tried Pamela's mix? It's great for most baked goods although I never did get the hang of gluten free bread.

I've never even heard of Pamela's mix. I live in barely not rural Indiana. I'm lucky to find anything besides Chex that's gluten free. haha. I've made peanut butter cookies that are the whole 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cups sugar, and an egg. But I only like the taste of them when they're warm. Once they cool the taste changes and I'm not a fan.

I did find some Bob's Red Mill gluten free pancake mix (that I intend to use for making cookies or muffins or something, I don't like pancakes) and I got a small thing of soy flour. I have a thing of brown rice flour coming in the mail. So hopefully I'll be able to come up with something.

I have also heard that there's no benefit if you don't have some sort of disease or allergy to it. I try to stay away from bread and pasta because it bothers my stomach, but crackers and chips don't usually bother me.

We were gluten free for about a year as I thought my son was intolerant. He was rashy and stomach achy. And not growing. He stopped being rashy and started growing so I thought I had it all figured out. But the tummy aches persisted and he HATED the gf diet. He'd pretty much eat a box of starchy gf crackers for dinner so I put him back on gluten and had him tested. It came back he was not allergic, though homeopathic dr says differently. I am bascially letting him decide. If it makes him feel yucky, then he can decide not to eat it. Feeding him has always been really, really difficult. I did lose like 8 lbs on the gf diet but that was because I hated the bread and the cereal was so expensive I refused to eat it but save it for him and those were 2 main cravings to eat when I wasn't really hungry. I wish I'd not just brought my leftover gf stuff to the food pantry so I could send it to you. I got everything off amazon.

I've gotten my sister to send me some stuff (she lives in Portland, OR) but that's mostly already made baked goods and a thing a xanthan gum. The two big things that have been hardest on me is that I used to eat King's Hawaiian rolls all the time when I would get an upset stomach or had issues with acid reflux, so that's been rough trying to find something else to soak up the acid that I like the taste of. And flour tortillas. We eat tacos at least once a week and I would have a quesadilla for lunch probably twice a week. I've switched to some good white corn tortillas that are actually cheaper and I don't mind the taste of, honestly I don't really remember what flour tortillas taste like anymore so I'm really starting to actually LIKE the taste of the corn ones. But you can't roll up a corn tortilla. It just doesn't work. We've switched taco nights to nacho nights, and I just make my bowl of beans and such and use chips while DH has a burrito. And we've made enchiladas a few times. But yeah. Those are the two big parts of my diet that were the hardest to cut out.

I feel like I already have a hard enough time getting enough calories in my diet and now it just got harder. Because I don't bother buying gluten free versions of a lot of foods, I just use more produce and that means even fewer calories. But that's a whole other issue.

But yeah, if you have any good tips or recipes I would love them. I feel like I'm living on lentils, sweet potatoes, and refried beans lately.

I did some research when I was considering trying it and found a lot of postive reviews for this http://www.cup4cup.com/

The author of this has some good looking cookbooks on amazon that are pretty cheap. http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/t...en-free-flour/

Amazon sells this pasta and they have a number of shapes. It's actually pretty decent freshly cooked...and the price isn't much more than pasta at the store. I didn't like it so much as leftovers but I'm BIG on pasta. http://www.amazon.com/Sam-Mills-Glut...ten+free+pasta

This is gluten free long as you do gf taco seasoning. And it's really good. It's a BIG pan though so I have at times made it halved. But my DH likes it so much and he loves leftovers that I make it and we just eat it twice in a row and he's got a snack. It's one of his new favorites.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/taco-lasagna-2/

Along with that, this is super good. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

Really when I made the two above together, my DH thought it was better than mexican food at a restaurant, especially the rice.

Another meal you could do is stuffed peppers. Or different kinds of roasts with veggies. Just use corn starch as a thickner instead of flour.

OH this is another we do. Chicken...cook and cut up or cut up and cook. Olive oil in the pan with garlic and onions. Once those are cooked, throw in bell peppers cut into chunks or strips. I usually do 4 peppers...green, orange, red, yellow and once that is cooked to taste, top off with parm cheese. We eat that on a bed of rice....so really it's a stir fry.

I have been trying to move away from pasta because if I had my way, I would eat it probably 5 nights a week.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I went sort of gluten-free not long ago for health reasons (not because of a gluten problem, more an issue with the iron content of wheat) and I've gotten so used to rice pasta that it seems normal now. I find the types with some texture, like rotini, hold up better. When I was having trouble finding enough I could eat, that was an important food source - I made pasta or pasta salad a couple of times a week at least.

Can you have tacos with corn tortillas? I only use corn tortillas too and that's how I do it - I like to fry the tortilla for a few minutes in a little olive oil to get it hot and a little crispy, but not enough to make it hard, and then fill it with good stuff and it's just like the tacos from the taco truck. Tostadas are good too. We only use corn for quesadillas - I like to fill mine with grilled onions, salsa, cream cheese and fry until nice and crisp. gooey good!

Do you eat eggs? Egg scrambles and crustless quiche were really big for me when I had a limited diet. Also corn flakes and puffed rice. For a baked goods treat I would bake mochi - I get mine from whole foods, this brand - http://www.grainaissance.com/mochi.html -- I wonder if you can order it? You just cut them apart and bake and they puff up and are all chewy and delicious. I like filling mine with cream cheese and dates, but a little cinnamon sugar is just as good.

I'm sorry you're dealing with a restricted diet, and I'm sorry for your loss. I know it's so frustrating sometimes to try to figure out what you can eat -- you're just hungry, and it seems like everything good is off-limits, and it's wearing to have to constantly think about it while everyone else seems to stuff their face. I hope you can get into a better routine soon so you feel you have more choices. That really helped me - to get a good roster of foods that I liked and that I could eat, with at least a few that were really quick and easy to prepare so I'd have something I could eat that was actually appealing and not too time-consuming. If I think of anything else that worked for me, I'll post it.

Thanks for all the tips!!! I actually just made a stuffed pepper/cheeseburger thing for lunch the other day. It was really good. I'm not really a fan of most breads/pastas and I don't like pizza, so thank goodness there. But I was craving a cheeseburger for some reason, and I was planning on making a stuffed pepper, so I stuffed the pepper with hamburger, rice, tomatoes, and mustard and then cooked it just long enough to make it all gooey (topped it with cheese to hold everything in) but left the pepper pretty stiff still. Cut it in half and it was delicious. Oh, and that's what DH was complaining about looking gross. Because he doesn't like rice. Or peppers. Or mustard. Or anything that's not a pizza product. Seriously, it's like he's 8. lol Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But still, it really seems that way sometimes.

Also, since I'm just cooking for myself 90% of the time I find it hard to make smaller portions. So I either get frustrated, or I make it anyway and end up eating the same thing for every meal for a few days so it doesn't go bad. I tried freezing some stuff, but our freezer is so small it just isn't really an option. But cooking for one is just hard in general, GF or not.

I can't imagine trying to do this and have to worry about needing to feed a child or something. I get so overwhelmed with it all sometimes.

I caved and turned on the a/c. The thermostat was reading 89.

I'm impressed that you were only 89! I think we are mid-90's outside with indexs about 100.

I love AC. I mean if you want to be warm go outside. But at least you have a cool place to sleep or relax. Plus Cosmo cannot handle the heat. she wants in faster than in the middle of winter (though she's awfully quick out there too when it's below zero).

It is hard if only you are changing the diet. I was going to suggest freezing but again hard with a small freezer.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

It was hotter than that outside, just 89 in the house. It was so hard for me to even think about cooking. I even have a fan on the chickens! When I let them out yesterday, they dug holes in the garden and lay inside. It was actually really cute.

I only own one fan. LOL We didn't do ceiling fans either when building...didn't like how they look as much and well we know that with me....I turn the air on if it's getting more than 73/74 inside the house. LOL and after 9.5 years of living with me, Cosmo doesn't do heat either. She is the little Princess afterall. LOL Molly likes the heat much more.

I'm a champion whiner when too hot. Plus it's one the times I notice the asthma.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    It was hotter than that outside, just 89 in the house. It was so hard for me to even think about cooking. I even have a fan on the chickens! When I let them out yesterday, they dug holes in the garden and lay inside. It was actually really cute.
    Awww...little stinkers! They know how to stay cool