Page 1425 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 425 925 1325 1375 141514231424142514261427 1435 1475 ... LastLast
Results 42,721 to 42,750 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Oh, you watch Dexter too! I think he is kind of hot. I used to think Quinn was hot, but I don't think he was always that skinny! I am so sad it's ending this year.

We keep a couple steel rods by our bed.
    I've played out some scenarios in my head. If we were all upstairs and heard someone come in, I envision DH going downstairs with a steel rod and I would take the phone and lock myself with Josh in his room.
    If someone came in any of the doors downstairs we have 2 other doors we could head out of. I could throw some Legos in the intruder's path, but that wouldn't really help unless the intruder were barefoot.

Shemar Moore is almost...too pretty? I prefer guys who look attainable. LOL

Those are definitely not the type of scenario's I play out in my head

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    What I really appreciate from you ladies is all of this talk of serial killers as I plan my camping trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Don't worry, they're just as likely to be peeking in your windows as they are to sneak up on you in the woods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    We aim to please! Ourselves, mostly.

Bears, and rapists, and serial killers, Oh my!

B, you'll be fine. Absolutely fine. And you'll even have fun too.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I would freak the F out if I saw an alligator. Or a bear. Or a wolf. And i wasn't inside say a house or a car. But I am a big wuss and freak about spiders and frogs. Oh and bats are creepy. Just really in general even though I really love and care about the environment...I'm not a big fan of outside unless it's perfect weather, I'm not too far from a bathroom with running water, and I'm a pretty manicured area. Honestly camping kind of sounds like torture to me.

We were trying to plan a trip with a few different people to stay on a lake. I'm cool with that. But some wanted rustic cabin. My idea is a house or really nice cabin with at least 1.5 bathrooms, a nice kitchen, hopefully wifi, a screen porch, and bonus would be a washer/dryer. Oh and air conditioning. So yeah that trip fell apart and didn't happen.

Dexter is just so intense.

And yeah I have thought about those things too Bridget. Like last night shortly after I fell asleep Cosmo was going ape sh*t, which sets off Molly. It was only about an hour into DH's shift but he has come home early a few times like when they lost power. I was throwing on all the lights on my way to the garage and I came so close to grabbing the little baseball bat in the hall before going down there. Nothing going on, I eventually opened the garage door and showed Cosmo and Molly that daddy wasn't home yet. They stopped barking right away and we all went to bed. So either there was an animal in the yard or Cosmo was dreaming and thought daddy was home or got spooked by something.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    All of y'all just hush now. I'm staying at the holiday inn. KIDDING. I am more concerned about bed bugs than bears!

And thanks, Kate. I will keep that in mind when I am home alone...watching Dexter. Just me and my baseball bat. While we're on it, do you guys ever play out scenarios in your head? Like, what would you do if an intruder came through a certain door in relation to where the kids are an any possible weapons? I do it all the time. I am prepared to go bat sh!t crazy if need be. In that book Protecting the Gift, there is a story about a woman who fought off an attacker posing as a salesman. She had her baby on her hip. The guy ended up taking off, not expecting a fight. Later she said she couldn't remember what she said but her neighbor recalled hearing something about hunting him down and ripping his heart out. I loved her for that.
    I play out scenarios all.the.time. And my weapon of choice is an aluminum baseball bat (which I own) but if that's not handy, I'll use just about anything else. I promise I will not be cowering in the corner begging for my life.

I've played out scenerios as well. DH keeps an unloaded bb gun that's a handgun in his top drawer of his bureau. when you pull the trigger it makes a loud snapping noise and it looks real. He's convinced it would scare off an intruder, me, not so much. We also have a mini baseball bat in the bedroom. We have real guns in the basement but that won't do us much good in the event of a break in. Our dog alerts us to anything out of the ordinary.

Camping out around here, I would be most worried that some random dude would see a female alone with kids and potentially take advantage. I think it would depend on the campground though and how secluded it was. My mom and I have camped alone many times and I never thought twice about it. I think it's the kids part that makes me second guess it. There are plenty of bears around here, but they tend to keep to themselves for the most part. Animal-wise, I'm more worried about getting sprayed by a skunk, I seem to attract them while camping.
    AKA Lisa724

These things never even worry me. Heck, we don't even lock our doors during the day... er, at all really.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    These things never even worry me. Heck, we don't even lock our doors during the day... er, at all really.
    Me either.

I do lock the front door at night though. I locked the back door the other night only 'cause the police were scouting for someone and beamed me right in the face with their flood light when i was smoking on my back stairs. After I saw them creeping down the other street on the opposite side of the block, still pointing their lights between the houses in my direction I decided something was amiss and it wouldn't hurt to lock that back door just in case. It was so dark, whomever could have been right under my stairs & I wouldn't have known it.

I went right to sleep without another thought about it though. I think of things/scenarios, but they don't really frighten me. I'll deal if/when I have to.

I can freak myself out when I let my imagination run wild. But I can talk myself down most of the time.

I have hardly seen Savana and Kai today. I must have worn them out yesterday. All day they have been downstairs listening to audio books and crafting, playing. Peaceful day but for the toddler in the house who called me into his room this morning where I found him naked telling me his penis needs to get dressed.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I had no idea who Shemar Moore was, either. I am meh for right now, but I often feel that way until I actually see a living breathing character behind a person. I have a hard time feeling an attraction just for an image, even if there are nicely sculpted cheekbones or whatever.

I've been watching Arrested Development recently and I was talking to DH about how I used to have the biggest crush on Portia DiRossi when she worked on Ally McBeal so long ago. A lot of it was the character, though, and I don't like her character as much on Arrested Development, so I don't feel the same feeling.

I would totally go camping by myself and the kids. More in the wilderness than in group campsites, I feel. But wherever. I was just talking to DH the other day about how we should get a smaller tent to make it easier for one or the other of us to go out solo on camping weekends with 1-3 kids, and how this will solve my upcoming camping dilemma when he's in China. Oh, and by the way, Gretchen, it's not that I wouldn't love to have you come help, but it's a restricted camping event for parents of multiples. So it's possible that I could find someone to help set up this enormous tent, but everyone else there is going to have their hands full also and not only would I need someone to help me set it up, but I'd also need to have yet another someone to help watch the kids while we were setting it up. It just seemed like too much help to ask for when everyone else usually is just managing to hold on to their sanity also.

I think part of it is that my mom used to drive across country with me and my sister all the time when we were little. We slept in the car, we slept by the side of the road in sleeping bags, we slept at rest stops, and my mom just handled everything. I know bad things can happen. But I take reasonable precautions and try to be prepared. I also think ahead and plan for what I would do if someone were to break in, when the kids were sleeping or in the back yard, or in the living room. I never leave the doors unlocked in my house, because it's not the kind of neighborhood where we can do that.

There has been a huge increase of "mom muggings" nearby, where people have been robbing moms as they are getting the kids in their car seats. They pretend to just be strolling home from the bus in the nice neighborhoods, and then take off with purses. I have been talking to my kids about situational awareness, and when they have to just move quickly and get in their seats and let me close the doors to the car and drive off fast. I've had to do that a couple of times. A number of people in our neighborhood have moved away because of the increase in crime. Anyway, camping seems not as dangerous as living where I live, sometimes.

Sometimes when I am reading a long narrative to my kids, I feel like I sounding the narrator of Arrested Development. Lol. I like that show and Portia too, though not her character.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post

I was forced to camp, a lot, when I was younger. I did not find it enjoyable in the least. Bugs, dirt, sleeping on the group - I'm good on that.
    At least you got a nice soft group to sleep on. Jeesh. What more can you ask for?!?

L (and anyone else watching Arrested Dev), let me know when you're done watching the newest episodes that Netflix released this year. We can have at 'em, but for now, no spoilers from me.

Bridget, don't read. This happened along the trails where we hiked and camped : http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2008070801140

On the topic of people breaking into homes. We keep our doors locked, especially when I'm home alone. The reason being that I'm 100% sure that the dogs barking chased away a couple of guys with ill intent a few years back (pre-Mira, and I was home by myself). Having lived in The Bronx, it is basically second nature to just lock stuff up. DH has swords in the house. And knives. They are scattered around the house, so if we needed to get to one quickly, it shouldn't be too hard (http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-...katana-262221/). I've watched some shows that talked about what the weak points are on an intruder, and how to cause maximum damage. I just hope, if I were to ever be in that situation, that I can think straight enough to at least try.

Mountain lions are our biggest predator here. Not that I want to take on either, but I'd prefer to take my chances with a bear rather than a mountain lion. Yikes. Probably the most danger here is from the little critters, though, like scorpions or coral snakes. Rattlenakes are more common but I don't think they are as deadly.

Shemar Moore ... I also had to google. Very attractive, but I'm with L and prefer to get to know the character behind the actor first. But he's definitely a hottie.

Suja, so glad to hear it was only a gall stone!

And I'm glad I'm not the only one whose DH has swords. DH has a whole arsenal. He even has a tomahawk.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I'm not telling mine about any tomahawks.

LOL! DH loves his tomahawk.

DH has a giant sword. It's not sharp except the tip which has a bit of rubber on it to protect it. It's hanging on the wall. It's a model of an in-game item from World of Warcraft.

My DH would say he's a lover not a fighter. LOL He hates guns and not sure about swords. He does have a bow but hasn't done archery in the 15th years we have been together. My DH....he has Legos. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Dbf has suggested getting a gun but I am really uncomfortable with that idea, thus not the type of person to own one. I wouldn't be against an alarm system, however.

I'd never own a gun. I'd rather be murdered. I'm serious. If I were murdered due to lack of one to 'protect' myself, then that's my contribution to society-the fact that I didn't have yet another one 'on the lose' available for a child or another innocent human to get hurt with by accident.

L, I'm like you. Images do nothing for me. I can look at a handsome man, but he doesn't turn me on ever. It's all about the personality for me.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

We have some souvenirs from Fiji that were war clubs and cannibalism implements. I don't think they are actually very useful weapons, though. I'm pretty sure they were either not accurate reproductions, or those poor Fiji natives had to do a lot of work to eat people.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    We have some souvenirs from Fiji that were war clubs and cannibalism implements. I don't think they are actually very useful weapons, though. I'm pretty sure they were either not accurate reproductions, or those poor Fiji natives had to do a lot of work to eat people.

I feed the cat in the basement, and his nightly feedings are around midnight. I sometimes play it out in my head what I'd do if someone jumped me down there. I think the best strategy would be to throw the cat poop at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post

I feed the cat in the basement, and his nightly feedings are around midnight. I sometimes play it out in my head what I'd do if someone jumped me down there. I think the best strategy would be to throw the cat poop at him.
    Most excellent idea. I think it would work.

Aaaaaand, mom fainted in the bathroom. And hit her head. Probably a response to the meds she is on, but back to the hospital.

Oh no. Has she been staying with you?

OMG...so sorry. I hope it is just the meds.

L, she is in India. She reacts weirdly to certain meds - cold/allergy - and is on 3 of those. Hope that's all it is. And that she didn't hurt her brain.

Oh, gosh, Suja -- I hope she's ok. And I'm really glad the lump is just a gallstone. Whew. I can't believe how much you've had put on your plate lately.

Bridget, I've camped before with just the girls, but we had friends with us - in separate tents, not close enough to hear us talking, but probably close enough to hear a scream in the middle of the night. I've camped with just dd1 when I was a single mom and those are really great memories. I didn't have any weapons -- I don't even think we have a baseball bat at home. Probably the most lethal thing we own is a rolling pin, and I didn't take that camping. I feel like Chrissy ... not that I wouldn't defend myself or my kids if the situation came up, but if someone comes at me with a gun, then I guess I'll get shot. That's life. Rather that than to participate in what, to me, is a culture of violence. And I have been robbed at gunpoint, so I know what it feels like to have a gun pointed at me and to be on the ground being manhandled and cussed at by a very mean person with a gun while two other guys with guns beat my (male) friends up next to me. And if I'd had a gun, it would not have done me any good at all, and it did not make me want to own one. But that's just me.
    Anyway, I try not to live my life in fear too, despite or maybe because I've always been an anxious person. So yes, I camp and travel with the kids, and we have a great time. And we have mountain lions, and I've never seen one camping but we've seen three within a mile of our house, just near the kids' park and in the track field at the middle school. So I suppose we're more likely to get in trouble with one here than out in the woods. Honestly, the only thing I worry about camping is that a tree will fall on the tent.

Speaking of living in fear, though, I have a conundrum. And it's silly that I'm saying that I camp with the kids and it's fine and yet I'm anxious about this, but chalk it up to that darn umbilical cord, I guess. We just got back from visiting my folks at the river today and R wants to go back for a couple of days. He suggested that he should go and take Noe, and that I should stay here and get a break. Now, I do need a break, and I don't really want to go back to the river. But the thought of him having Noe alone overnight on a boat freaks me out. He gets offended because he says he's a responsible person, he loves Noe, he takes good care of her. And he does! he really does. So I kind of hate that I feel so anxious about being away from her, but it's just really hard for me. For one thing, I'm with her all the time and I'm used to knowing where she is 24 hours a day. He's not, so I feel like he might not be as vigilant. And, of course, it's true that while he is careful with her, he's not careful like I am. He tends to be a bit more relaxed. So am I being silly? Should I let them go? I just know I won't be able to relax or sleep or enjoy the time to myself under those circumstances, but my other option is to go with them and I'm just tired.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I'd let her go. As rough as it is now, if you never let her out of your sight, it's only going to get harder.

Yeah, let her go. I am Mira's primary caregiver, but also waaaay more relaxed than DH. I'm sure he has nightmares every time we go out without him.