Page 1419 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 4199191319136914091417141814191420142114291469 ... LastLast
Results 42,541 to 42,570 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Oh and going to call the vet in the morning. Ugh. Apple HATES the car and strangers. And Kai feels horribly guilty.

Mandy, I think having a child will be much different from having a dog. For one thing there are a gazillion more things you can do with a child. Plus, it doesn't mean you're going to neglect your kid or ruin his life if you're a little impatient. I don't have a lot of patience. At all. Neither does DH, and Josh is a pretty great kid anyway.

That is great that DD1 talks to you, Gretchen. Just that she is texting you from the hotel like you asked her to is great. I'm glad lists work for her. Matter of fact I had a list in the bathroom for a while, listing all the steps of going to the bathroom and washing up afterward and it helped. Maybe I should have something like that upstairs for the bedtime routine. Tonight I tried something a little different. He forgot to go pee before bed and instead of saying all exasperated "Okay go pee now..." I said "What else do you have to do before bed?" and he stopped and thought, and did it. He even commented that I did a good job by asking him that way. LOL

Oh, Josh! Lol. Too funny! Kai asked if we could be done with the cue cards because he's doing fine on his own. I think he felt they were baby-ish. He is doing so much better in spite of what I have been saying here. The child can just never EVER find his shoes. But guess what? Neither can I. Find mine, that is.

Bridget, thanks for the book rec. I'll look for it! I'm sorry Apple doesn't like the car and the vet. Our cats cry in the car the whole way but they're relatively good at the actual vet. I say that because my mom used to have a cat who would literally fight the vet.

Oh, shoes are a major issue here too! They're supposed to go in the closet, but they're usually behind the bathroom door, or under the coffee table, or in the bathroom...

Kate, I hope you don't think I meant to imply you! I actually think you're a super-involved mama who spends a ton of time with her son. I hope I can be half as good a mom as you are.

The "what's next?" is something we would do in therapy with a kid who is almost but not quite there. It's a really great way to encourage more independence. That's cute he told you you did a good job!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Oh no I was just using myself as an example. I do spend a lot of time with him, maybe too much and that's why I'm feeling so frazzled. I love doing things where he keeps busy, like going to the zoo or doing something fun together but when we're all just bumming around at home in the evening Josh gets a little off the wall. It has something to do with DH coming home. Josh can be great all day and when DH gets home it's like he's vying for our undivided attention.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I'm so curious about the tmi question. If you're wondering about that not so fresh feeling, pepperlru, I get it too. I'm due for a shower as soon as a little someone falls asleep. And... I think it's about now! Yay!

Mandy I still go through that with Molly. She has just recently started to listen better and not just when she feels like it. She is going to be 2 in Sept! It's actually funny now because she will do something she's not supposed to do, like get in those extra few barks at people outside after being told no. And right after before she gets yelled at, she will hang her head in shame. LOL And to this day pretty much anytime we open the dishwasher and it's not clean, she's trying to lick the dirty dishes. EVERY SINGLE TIME....and we go though the no and push her away. Next time she is right there. It is hard to remember that far back but I recall Cosmo really getting pretty perfect after age 2.

And yeah I really wonder sometimes about having a baby too. But I figure most people do fine enough and no reason why I cannot do just fine. But I also don't plan on entertaining a child all day. There is my DH. And potentially his mom might be up here by that point. The dogs can do some entertaining. And really I don't believe in having to entertain your own child all day. My mom certainly did some playing with us and reading and crafts....but I also recall playing in my room myself. I actually find it a bit annoying when my cousins are over throwing around the I'm bored....when there are lots of things to do and people to visit with and dogs to play with.

Since i'm not on the ipad right now...back up the boys only thing....I have really only know one girl myself that needed lots of repeating....my cousin. But she has definitely attention issues and we know her birthmom drank while pregnant so she has some mild fetal alcholic syndrome. Things we do with her are to give only one direction at a time and make sure to get eye contact while doing so.

So anyone know how to know if your dog has arthritis? Over the past month Cosmo has done this thing where her front leg is either really straight or held funny and she starts crying. She is not one to cry easily, poor baby. This doesn't happen as she is jumping off the couch but either stretching or just on the floor. If it was more of her body, it's almost seizure like. So I go over to her and either pick her up and massage it to relax it or support her under her belly while I do that. Within minutes she is acting normal and running and walking just fine. I don't know for sure but I think that it's always or mostly been the leg we had the lump removed from and it did happen more before that I think. I don't know if it's irritated from maybe walking a bit funny from the lump or arthritis...she is almost 10 and spent the last 2-3 years overweight but is down a few pounds from the thyroid meds. Or maybe a minor seizure? She has been to the vet a lot recently and I know her bloodwork is ok. I will bring her of course if it gets worse but right now it's 1-2 times a week if that and it's only a short amount of time.

As far as puppy goes, I know more training is the answer. But it has really made me wonder if I have the tolerance/patience at my age to be a mother. After all, if I can't handle throwing a rope for puppy to fetch for longer than 10 minutes ... how am I going to entertain a child all day?

One part of me says I will feel differently with a baby than with a puppy, but another part of me is afraid I won't feel differently. There are women who pay no attention to their children and yell at them all the time. I see those women at work with totally messed up children, and I don't want to be that person!

Am I worrying too much?[/QUOTE]

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

One of the times we were at the vet recently a cat was throwing such a huge tantrum in the exam room, my dogs got scared in the lobby. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I'm so curious about the tmi question. If you're wondering about that not so fresh feeling, pepperlru, I get it too. I'm due for a shower as soon as a little someone falls asleep. And... I think it's about now! Yay!
    Ha! It's about sex. and dh. I think that's why I've been hesitating, it's really more tmi for him than me. But I'll end up asking anyway.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

So, nobody talks when I can check, and then everyone starts up, all at once.

On Apple, vet, but not so much for the wound care, as much as it is for ideas on how to keep from scratching the scab. They will likely give you something like Animax ointment to put on it.

Mandy, I know that I have more patience now than I used to, and I am more likely to recognize when things are not going fine, and look into alternatives than I would've been, as a younger parent. On the other paw, dogs are about a bazillion times easier than kids, and I'd take raising half a dozen dogs over one kid, any day. Also, now you know why I don't do puppies. One thing I find difficult with the kid is that she is in my personal space, ALL the time, and it drains my energy. With dogs, you can leave them home or in a crate, and just go somewhere by yourself if you need to. The whole not having noise free time, is HARD.

Myles and Gretchen, hope you feel better soon!

So, Suja, my animal wise friend, what are some ideas to keep her from scratching it? I will take her in a hot second, regardless of cost, if that is what it takes to make her healthy but would love to avoid using the credit card if I can.

Yaknow, I'm better with dogs than cats, but I have cat savvy friends. If she will allow it, keep a bandage on, or leave it alone if she isn't bothering it at present. Get you the answer tomorrow morning.

I'm guessing it would involve clothing that would keep the wound covered - infant turtleneck modified, maybe, and/or keeping the hind paws covered.
    Last edited by Suja; 07-08-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Neck is hard! I mean you couldn't do an E collar on her or anything. I like the turtle neck idea. the t-shirts really helped Cosmo keep off her wound. Cosmo wore a 4T or 5T but she is 30lbs so I'm guessing Apple would need something much smaller.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

A onsie!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Ha! It's about sex. and dh. I think that's why I've been hesitating, it's really more tmi for him than me. But I'll end up asking anyway.
    I don't know what he likes, tbh. But I can guess for you, if you want.

Seriously, though, I always get way more reticent about OPP (other people's problems), esp. when it comes to anything involving my dh.

I'm down with OPP (yeah, you know me!)

Sorry, erm... (quick, Demi, say something constructive!)

G, if you wanna share, go right ahead. If not, just hold off for awhile and then mention it in passing mixed in with other OPP. That'll keep us guessing which one is really R.

But in all seriousness, no judgment over here. I'm sure we all could dish on our own DHPs.
    Last edited by demigraf; 07-08-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    A onsie!

Someone has baby things on the brain! Onesie is cute but Apple needs to be able to potty ;)

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I have the same issue with Travis and listening. How do I stay sane? I think having a good group of mummy friends helps. There are about 6 of us with kids the same age at the same school and we have become quite good friends recently. Just talking to them helps, knowing that we all face the same issues! Also, going out to work alleviates my stress as well. I think staying at home with them all day every day would be a little harder on me mentally.

Bridget, I hope you get Apple sorted out.

Gretchen, you've peaked all our interest now....

We're still enjoying our heatwave here. We've built a den outside and done lots of creative play....so nothing dramatic happening here....well, other than just having to deal with a 12 year old boy who told a few of us teachers that he wishes we would all die a horrible, slow and painful death of cancer....I tell ya, our kids are angels compared to kids with real issues!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Someone has baby things on the brain! Onesie is cute but Apple needs to be able to potty ;)

Ok, baby t-shirt then.

I'd dish on my dh or bf. But I don't have anything at the moment. You could always preface it with, "My friend....." We'll go along with it.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Ha. My friend... I'll keep that in mind. Maybe later, still mulling it over.

Myles, so sorry you're my virus buddy. Suuuuucks. I was thinking I'd feel better by now - I usually have a really good immune response - but this one is just dragging on. I'm getting annoyed. I also hope we're better by midweek ... which is, um, tomorrow.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Not much new to add, Bridget. Tube socks were suggested to help with the neck, as well as trimming the nails.

Bridget, I'm loving the suggestion of tube socks. How is kitty today? I'm sorry that Kai feels so bad about it.

Gretchen, yeh... my cold has reached the stage where it's a cough in the chest and a somewhat stuffed up nose. I'm taking it very easy and should be well by "midweek" (tomorrow). I'm just waiting for it to hit DH, who is not unlike most of your DHs when it comes to getting sick. I just hope I'll have the energy to play his nurse once he gets afflicted. We have that family portrait that we won to pose for this Sunday, and I hope he's not too sick to smile pretty for the camera.

Last night I made a potato/leek soup and decided it needed more veggies so I threw in some rainbow chard. I was totally curious what color the soup would become. Turned out the color of "swamp". Here are the progression pics:

ChardSoup.jpg

With enough salt and lemon, it was a pretty good soup.

(Go back to work, Myles!)

Ah yes, friends...I am lacking there. There are tons of playgroups for babies and preschoolers but not so many for school aged kids. I don't see the people from church enough to make friendships with any of them. I'm just not a friends type of person, as much as I want to be. I feel like I'm not interesting enough. I need a hobby or 3 LOL. DH thinks I should do a podcast. I entertained the thought of doing a parenting podcast (since my other talent is cooking and there are enough cooking podcasts out there, and even my fount of nkotb knowledge would run out too fast to make a long-running podcast )

Do the podcast, Kate! I'd love to hear all our mamas be guest co-hosts with you. (except me. I'm shy.)
    Last edited by demigraf; 07-09-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Man, O'Malley, you girls are quiet. 3 hrs later and I'm still the last poster. Am I going to be the thread killer?

Speaking of shy, I am a total wuss. I'm working from "home" again today (because I'm sick and no one wants you in the office spreading germs) and I pulled up to the cafe where I usually work. I saw the father of B's bestie there (he works from home a lot too, which means he's often at this same cafe. Anyway, so this is the guy who cheated on my friend (oh, did I not tell you he had a 6 month affair?) and I know I've already decided that I'm going to keep my mouth shut and just be supportive for his sons' sakes - not my business anyway. But I have his soon-to-be ex-wife spending a lot of time with me telling me what a terrible person he is. I have no reason not to believe her, so I have a really hard time looking the guy in the eye, because I'm worried something like, "How could you do that to her?!?!?" will slip out. When I first got to the cafe, I wasn't even in the parking spot when I saw him, and so I decided to do another errand I had to run first and kept driving. Another 1.5 hours goes by and now I really have to work. So here I am. I pulled up to the cafe and saw him walk into the Subway that's next to the cafe as I pulled up. He literally walked in front of my car (which is new, so not one he's seen before; he'd have completely recognized me in my old car) and I turned my head like I was getting something from the backseat. Once he was inside, I quickly ran to the back of my car, grabbed my laptop and ducked into the cafe. I saw he'd vacated the seat he was in, so I thought I was scott free. I sat down at his former table. Then I hear a "Hi, M." and he sits down with his 12" sub at the table 3 ones away from me , where I guess he'd moved to be able to plug in his laptop. So I made a grimacing look with my face that I think looked like a smile and said hello, mumbled about how I was sick and swamped with work. "Me too", he said, and right now, I am sitting about 15 feet from him facing him with my head down looking like I'm hard at work. Ugh. I hate feeling so awkward!

ETA: So, my whole point of this is that I've become increasingly aware of this side of me that is afraid of coming off as self-righteous and schoolmarmey. It comes from dealing with my sister while growing up, me being the "good sibling" and her always resenting me for it. It became her way of manipulating me - making me feel like a tattle tale and a goodie two-shoes if I didn't want to shoplift with her or would rat her out to my parents that she'd been smoking. That has carried all the way into our adult relationship today and the stand I've taken with her on the lies she's told everyone from her husband to my parents about her relationship with this other man. A part of me still hears her voice in my head calling me a brown-noser and a phony. And then there was that Ayn Rand jerk I dated, who often made me feel like, if I wasn't acknowledging my baser instincts or admitting that I wanted to do bad things, I was a hypocrite who wasn't being honest with myself. (Seriously, he used to insist that I secretly wished someone would rape me!) Anyway, so those two rattle around in my head a lot. When there are times that I have reason to feel moral indignation of some sort, like feeling really offended for my friend who was hurt by this guy sitting across from me at the cafe (or fairly shocked by a married guy saying all kinds of things to me that would be hurtful to his wife), the indignant thoughts have to trudge first through a tar-like layer of self-doubt. In some ways, I think the reflex to question myself first when I have the urge to judge someone has made me more fair and empathetic. But in other ways, I feel kind of unable to act at the appropriate time. This is something I'd like to work on. It's weird, because I'm also quick to tell off total strangers, like when someone is talking too loudly or making racist comments on a plane (done both of those things), but other times, I just freeze like a dork.

OK, so I'll start some conversations. If you are a sibling (don't think we have any only children here, do we?), where were you on the good child/bad child spectrum). And similar to my personal project that I outlined above where I want to work on myself, do you have any self-improvement projects of your own? I mean, granted, you are all perfect in my eyes.
    Last edited by demigraf; 07-09-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Myles, you actually made me stop and say "...huh." when you said you all should be cohosts. I keep forgetting you don't have to be in the same room to be on a podcast. I'm sorry about your awkward moment with your friend's soon to be ex.

Work. Coworker went home sick. Swamped.