Page 1417 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 417 917 1317 1367 140714151416141714181419 1427 1467 ... LastLast
Results 42,481 to 42,510 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Bridget, that woman was a piece of work!! I would love o see Sawyer's WTF look.

Um, we were setting fireworks off in our yard. Don't move in next to me. LOL. But just crackers and fountains. No loud bombs or anything smoky. This was my first time doing my own fireworks, and I was actually thinking, "Why hadn't I done this sooner?"

Ha! Yeah, I should have mentioned we set off a bunch too! Lol. I'm not a hater on people doing it. It's fun. It's just annoying when you're trying to sleep which I'm sure other people were thinking on our street when we let them off a week before the 4th!

Our neighbors always set off fireworks. We could see some last night around 8:30 and we went up to Josh's room to tell him and he was already asleep. He's never asleep that early! LOL

Hope everyone had a nice 4th!
    It's not my favorite holiday either. I always feel a little unsettled, especially when we are at the river where people are setting off all kinds of dangerous fireworks while heavily intoxicated. But this year we stayed home, which was very relaxing. Fireworks are illegal in our county, so it was quiet -- just barbecues and people playing in the park next door. It was ridiculously hot, so much so that we drained our hot tub (water could stand a change anyway) and filled it up with cold water. We soaked in that for most of the afternoon, then in the evening, had neighbors over for s'mores and sparklers (I think the sparklers are illegal too, but we live right behind the firehouse and they didn't seem to care). We were supposed to go to dh's work picnic, which is always a big shindig, but he has a cold and was feeling lousy so we stayed home.

Today I think I'm going to hop over to the county fair with the girls. It's supposed to be a little cooler today, in the 80s instead of the 90s, so I hope we will have fun. I'd like to stay for their fireworks display, but last year Noe was freaked out and cried through the whole thing, so we'll have to see.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Well I think that it's illegal too or at least most of them are but people still do them. I'm kind of a hater....I mean I don't mind watching them BUT it just makes me so nervous when it's a city neighborhood with houses close together. At least the guy doing it a few houses down last night seemed to be aiming them towards the field and not the houses but last year our neighbor was really mad because he had crap on his roof from some other neighbor shooting them off. I don't think that guy did it this year!

And that it REALLY bothers my baby Molly.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We've always been the annoying neighbors who shot off fireworks and got crap in your yards My husband would always go over (to the ones directly on each side of us at least) and pick anything up.

We haven't since pre-Nolan though. This year we just did fountains. It was all for him anyways, so anything bigger would have been pointless. The child burned through 6 of the small boxes of sparklers. As soon as one went out he wanted another. It was so cute, we talked rules before he got to have the first one. So just about sparkler he would "Mommy I sit down, have another one?" because I told him he had to stay sitting with them.

After we put Nolan to bed we sat outside and watched a few of the neighbors do their fireworks.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

It would only bug me if it were like 2 in the morning or if it bothered Bo, but it doesn't.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

In my area fireworks are illegal but tons are set off anyway. It's the one night I can assume that most of the sounds are from fireworks and not gunshots. So I find it more reassuring than not. I'm not there right now but I saw a nice long exposure picture of all the neighborhood fireworks going off.

I always used to do fireworks, too, even though they're illegal here. Haven't for ages, though, because we're all old fuddy-duddies now!

Gretchen, I find it hillarious that you ended up going to the county fair on the same day we did! Too bad they were different counties... Hope you guys had fun. We had a BLAST. Stayed twice as long and spent twice as much as I intended, but it was worth it.

We actually did not plan to see any fireworks at all this year. They all start too late past Maiya's bedtime, and with coming home from Hawaii, I didn't want to mess her schedule up any more! But then, our flight landed about 10, and we came in to the Oakland airport. Which is not that far from the Oakland coliseum. Which just happened to have a good firework show after their game that night, which happened to be about 10. And we had arranged for a friend to come pick us up, but she forgot, so was nearly an hour late. So we just happened to have time to sit there and watch it! Maiya loved them. For a few minutes. Then she got bored and couldn't sit still because she was so tired, which just reiterated to me why I wasn't going to spend a bunch of time and money to go see a show.

L, that sounds like a cool picture! Can you share?

I spent the night at John's house last night (still here) and he's on Seneca lake. We sat on his back deck and watched people shooting fireworks off from the far side. Oh, and the ones they did at Watkins Glen (the raceway). We could see them from here as well.

It's pretty freaking cool up here. If y'all ever wanna visit the Finger Lakes region of upstate NY, I can promise you'll love it. We have wine tours too!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Our kitty, Apple, has a thick scab around almost her entire neck from the rubber band. (sob) Every time I pet her I just feel sick about what happened. The scab is not oozy or red so it's okay for me keep an eye on it, right? Not take her in? I will if I should, of course, but money is tight so if it's not neccessary. I've been putting coconut oil on it when she lets me.

Aw, poor Apple. I don't think you need to take her in if it doesn't look infected - I wouldn't. You're keeping a close eye on her.

Chrissy, that sounds really nice about the lake. It would be amazing to live near water (I'm jealous of Bridget too).

Janet, I didn't end up taking them to the fair because dd1 wanted to go shopping before her trip. DH and I were planning to take Noe this morning, but then this morning I woke up sick -- DH was sick earlier this week with a sore throat virus and now I've got it. So DH took Noe to the fair, and I'm alternating checking email, sleeping, and stuffing my face. That's what I'm supposed to do, right?
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I think it would be okay as long as she's not scratching at it. I'd just keep an eye on it.

I would love to live near water too. My mom's house overlooks the ocean and she can go down to the end of her street and go swimming. I'm super jealous.

My dorm room for one semster in college faced lake Michigan (college is on a cliff on the lake). I LOVED that BUT....it was freaking cold in the winter with the wind off the lake and nothing to block it and lots of lake effect snow. I miss living near a big lake....my town now only really has rivers and it's not the same.

Chrissy never know....a trip out east is high on our radar and has the advantage of being able to drop the dogs off at my parents on the way. Going west and we have the problem of what to do with the dogs. Not sure yet if we will try swinging a road trip next year or not. Dh just asked that the next one be cheaper than our one in May....we stayed in downtowns and in fairly nice suite hotels. Ended up costing about 500 more than our disney trip in 2006! LOL

Bridget, I would think a scab is fine. And maybe try to keep all the different collars off if you already aren't? Not sure that I would use oil on it. Cosmos scab was really big and thick and we did bring her back in but the vet said it was fine. And that was even with it draining and oozing some. Best thing he said was to keep it clean and dry. And try to not let her mess with it. It looks almost healed now...just a bit of scab left.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Ok I think I will stop with the oil. I was mostly doing that on the raw parts and not so much on the scabs. It is all scab now. No collars. Thanks.

I love living on the water although our lake is not the best for swimming. Very weedy and mushy bottom. During the hottest parts of the summer our shoreline can actually get pretty yucky. The best thing to do is go to the middle on the pontoon and jump in. We do that a lot. Our neighbor is letting me use their rowboat which I am excited to try. I am not comfortable taking out the pontoon in case the motor dies. I like to rely on my own (wo)man power instead.

That would be awesome Jennifer

imo, it doesn't really get hot enough for swimming here. Well, it does but it only lasts 4 days. It has to be over 95 before I'm looking for a place to swim.

Yeah I think at first cosmo's shirts helped but after a while I think that they were irritating the wound and arm pit more than helping because of the friction.

I don't swim in lakes, I might dangle my feet but that is it. Pools are ok because of all the chlorine but I really should do hot tubs that are public either with my skin condition. It's not uncommon for me to have one or a couple of small open wounds at any given time in the affected areas. I'm not contagious at all but worry about germs that aren't mine or family germs in those areas...which is easy with clothes but harder dealing with unknown water. Sucks because I do love swimming and am pretty good at it. I grew up with a pool and we swam daily long as it was like 68 outside and the pool was 80 or 82 for the water. My DH really cannot swim and our summers are so short that a pool is just not logical now that I'm further up north. But if I ever won the lottery, i would have an indoor pool of my own so fast!

What a nice day is has been. We did yardwork, some housework, errands downtown and we took Molly with us. She didn't do good in the van but did ok at the library (ours is downtown)...we parked and they walked with me and waited outside while I ran in and picked up my book. It's good because there is traffic and always people walking around there and she did better than we expected. AND she didn't whine much on the way home! Next week i think we will go by the university and walk the street with the bars and restaurants....it's pretty and always people and cars around but not so much yet because it's summer. We grilled out and after dinner were having a drink on the porch....I have these white wooden rockers like old people. The dogs were with us and one of the ladies down the street walked past with her two girl dogs....cosmo LOVES these two girls. And she did awesome waiting in the yard for them and not running into the street (my road is dead end so little traffic) to say hi to them like she usually does. I wish these ladies lived next door to me because I like them both and it would be easy for our dogs to play together. We got to talk about the neighborhood a bit because the builder is expanding on the other side with some new lots and homes and streets. Last I talked to him he thought it would be a number of years before it was totally done and expanded all the way to me. Fine with me! I mean we always knew that the eventually we would have more houses and not fields around us but the longer the better. We like our view of the interstate. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Bridget, scabbing over is good! She will be right as rain in no time at all.

Busy few days. At SIL's house on the 4th. We brought the nephews over with us, and we all went to Ikea to get Mira a mattress, so she doesn't have to sleep on the floor anymore (DH and the boys were supposed to build a security system, and I said I'd walk on my head if they succeeded, then threw in the lure of Ikea meatballs to totally sabotage their project ). Then I spent a whole bunch of time attempting to assemble the **** bed, with fighting with an unsupportive DH and swearing at the *******s that manufactured the bed thrown in for good measure. Today was spent at my cousin's in PA, and Mira of course had her usual goodbye tantrum. Tomorrow is her ballerina class in the morning, after which, I will attempt yet again to finish the bed, and the room. And then hope that she likes it enough to sleep there all by herself.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I've been watching the news about the sfo plane crash because the twins are supposed to be flying back home from Wisconsin tonight, and I'm secretly relieved I wasn't at work today with mass casualty alerts in the city.

S and I spent 8 hours in Redding today wandering through botanical gardens and crossing interesting bridges over the Sacramento River and visiting butterfly gardens and feeding parrots nectar and exploring a museum and ecology center. It was fun but hot and exhausting and most of it was outside in 100+ degree heat. My deodorant bit the dust by noon, possibly because of the heat and maybe because it's about six years old -- I keep a travel toiletry bag always packed packed and ready to go but I don't travel the way I used to. S fell asleep on the way back to the hotel so I need to go to bed soon myself. I figure he'll be up at 5am. This would be a pretty fun place to come back if it wasn't so freakishly hot. It was 108 degrees on the 4th. Unbearable. At least there's air conditioning here.

Good luck with you bed, Suja. Without a kid, put on some good music and don't skip steps. I've assembled my fair share of IKEA furniture and it's not that fun but there are worse things to assemble.

I wish this were Ikea! It's by Donco (I think) which must be Ikea's extremely mean twin. I assembled a bookshelf and storage bench from Wayfair in 45 minutes, but only just managed to finish 2 of 5 steps of the bed in about 4 hours. Might have helped, having DH actually help, but he was pissing me off so badly, I asked him to leave.

L, your trip sounds fun. Except for the 100 degree part.
    Last edited by Suja; 07-06-2013 at 11:16 PM.

I'm with Chrissy. Around 95 is good swimming weather! I love swimming, but am a wimp in the cold.

Bridget, I'm sorry I missed it, but what happened to Apple? How'd she get a rubber band around her neck? Poor thing! I agree that it sounds like she doesn't need a vet.

Good luck with the bed, Suja, you can do it!

That's so scary about the crashed plane... It's ironic, I had just been telling my family, when we were flying, that the take off and landing is the most dangerous part of the flight. And 48 hours later, one crashes here when landing! Good thing I don't believe in jinxes...

A lot of my friends in search and rescue are also in Red Cross, and some were called to go. Makes me really miss those days! Maybe not having another kid is a good thing, so when she's a bit older, I'll be able to get back in to this stuff sooner...

Gretchen, sorry you didn't make it to the fair. Hope you feel better soon!

As for us... Our crazy busy vacation and post-vacation has finally caught up to Maiya! We had our first "slow" day today in ages. And she was SO ridiculously over tired that she had to cry herself to sleep tonight. Roughest bedtime we've had in quite a while. I'm hoping that now she has it out of her system, and she'll be back to normal. She was amazing and so well behaved for all this business, but she still needed some rest and a chance to reset. Just in time to go on vacation again!

And please excuse typos... I'm pretty exhausted, too!
    Last edited by Krystal5; 07-06-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Welcome back, Janet. I'm loving the new FB profile pic of the 3 of you. Very nice.

Yes the plane crash is giving me the chills. I feel so sorry for all those people!

Suja, my only lesson-learned about furniture assembly is to not over tighten a screw when it's not seeming to thread properly. I have split particle board that way. :/ It sounds like your DH is back from his trip. How is he doing?

All you lovely SAHM mamas have my respect once again. DH has left me Bodhi duties since the 4th, and I am at the end of my playing-with-a-4-yr-old rope. I've done play dough, "spin art", puzzles, books, paper airplanes and many, many snacks. And he's been relatively well-behaved too. I just feel exhausted. The energy you mamas must put in day in and out is mindblowing to me. (Perhaps I am coming down with a bug too. B was fighting off a cough and I stuffed myself today. Feel better, Gretchen!)

I did have a picnic with B's bestie and his mom earlier today. B did a 1-mile loop trail three times and that was good fun. He kept talking about all the animals he was transforming into, starting off as a spider dog crab and finally settling on a lobster that changed color with the seasons, so green in spring, brown in summer, yellow in fall and white in winter. I do love it when he lets his imagination loose like that. I find that's fun. Talking to a preschooler while in a full on make-believe session is just like the way Tina Fey describes doing improv: Always say yes. Our walks were very relaxing. It's the time cooped up at home the is hard to fill.

L...does it seem like the twins flight was affected? If you had been around, would you have been called in? We do mass casualty drills a few times a year...I think we are the only level one trauma center in 90 min to 2 hours in all directions. Something like that and even I likely would have been called in....non patient care staff get put to work as runners and recorders.
    such a sad and scary thing for all those involved.

I have the northern blood...after a week in the 80's, almost 90's....I'm dreaming of the fall already.

Suja....i think assembling furniture requires a lot of swearing and fighting with the person you are working with....I think that is in the instructions. The few things we have from Ikea were easier than other brands we have done....part of the reason why I think I'm just doing the nursery in Ikea. Dresser, crib and probably a cube shelf thing for books and some toys.

Being on vacation is a lot of work....I think it's so reasonable for Maiya to have a down day after a trip like that! I always come back feeling like I need a vacation from my vacation.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Welcome back, Janet! We're you on Oahu? My old stomping grounds!

Kai put a rubber band around Apple's neck. Her meow was very hoarse and find and I had just discussed taking her on when that evening he felt something strange under her collar while petting her and the band was embedding into her skin! Had a talk with kids and knew it was Kai by his tears. Her scab is falling off now so I feel better, as does she I assume.

Hope the twins had a great trip! Shame we did not run into them!

England is enduring a heatwave right now...it was 77 degrees today and everyone was meeeelting. I laugh at how soft people are here; although, I myself think it feels scorching as well! Crazy how assimilated you become to a culture after 10 years.

In other news, we got invited to go camping with 2 other families this summer. The family whom Travis had his playdate with along with another family that we know pretty well from school have decided to go camping in August, and they said they'd love us to go along if they book again to go in October or some other time in the year. I'm so excited! I love making new friends. Now I'm eager to have them over for a family night or something. Now I have to rack my brain and think of something creative to do this summer to invite them over for...I suppose we could just do a barbecue and have them over in the evening. I have never been great at making friends, so I feel like we've been invited into a little group, so we should run with the chance. LOL. I do like the 2 couples and their kids because they are very down-to-earth and have an intellectual side. It seems like a lot of people that I'm acquainted with aren't in to cultivating their brains and I some times feel too educated for them. I do like to have a laugh and be silly, but sometimes it seems like people just aren't on the same page as I am.

Ash, that sounds so promising!! I love getting excited for new friends. (May I remind all of you how excited I am to have found you guys - online and IRL!) I'm starting to think I need to make a push again for new local in-town friends. Surfer Mama moved to OR w/ her family, and B's bestie's parents are splitting up, which has panned out to the mama becoming very active with her old single friends and going out drinking a lot to cope, poor thing. Of course, I still love her tons, but I don't think I'm what she wants or needs right now.

The last heat wave I recall in the UK was when I was 4wks pg w/ B in May 2008. How I' d have killed for more sundresses (and the ability to drink a cold cider). Enjoy the weather.

B is asleep in the backseat again after seeing Despicable Me 2 in the city this morning. We actually ran into a daddy/daughter friend-of-a-friend while we were there, so we hung out while at the movies. Love this small world. when he wakes up, I'm biting the bullet and getting myself a SUP (paddleboard) w/ my REI gift card stash in the store. Big purchase! I could order it online, but I literally have 9-10 gift cards and don't want to enter in those long codes for each one, so we'll go in and have their card reader do the data entry for me. That's my exciting Sunday anyway. Beautiful day again. Wish I weren't sick. :/

That sounds like a great time Ash!

I can't imagine 77 feeling like a heat wave. As much as I'd love to live in England 'cause of politics, I don't think I could stand the weather.

Oh how I'd love for it to be in the 70's! It has been brutal here (well, 90's, which is refreshing to you all out west). DH doesn't deal with the heat very well and he works outside all day and has to wear jeans. Every year he gets at least one bad day where he calls me and says "In case I don't make it through the day...I love you"

Myles, I remember that heat wave because that's the week I was due with Travis! That was the last time we had a heat wave....so 5 years!

The weather here runs most expats off. Of about 20 that I know, just over half have gone back to the USA for the weather. I like it too much here to want to move anywhere else.