Page 1416 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 4169161316136614061414141514161417141814261466 ... LastLast
Results 42,451 to 42,480 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

DH read the twins the first Harry Potter book and they loved it. They lost interest about halfway through the second one and kept asking for breaks to read other books, until it had been long enough that they were forgetting what had happened, and finally confessed that they didn't really care for it too much.

DH finally found out he's working on Friday so I'm going out of town by myself with my 3-year-old, who fell off a chair and bumped his head while I was at a meeting today and has a huge red lump right in the middle of his forehead. He had two adults less than a foot away at the time. He's going to look just terrible in all of the scenic photos I was planning on taking of him this weekend. Boo. The person who was watching him at the time felt just terrible, but I told her he is kind of a daredevil, and I wouldn't want him to be straight-jacketed, which is what he would require if she needed him to be perfectly safe.

Oh, and tonight S. was trying to have another tantrum about putting on his pajamas and I successfully tricked him into putting on his pajama top by telling him I would help him get it on over the lump on his head, but I had this brilliant idea about being utterly clueless about putting on his pajama bottoms. I kept trying to do it wrong. He finally told me to put them on over his feet, so I just set them on his feet. Then he said, "No, Mom, you don't do it that way! You have to cover my butt!" So I picked them up and tucked them around his backside so they looked like a little tail. He finally got really frustrated with my complete ineptitude and told me he would show me how to do it, and he promptly sat down and put them on himself, even pointing out how the tag goes in the back and each foot goes down one side, and then you pull them up just so, and there you have it! I was so happy with myself, and it was so much easier dealing with his histrionics when I was not having to deal with two other kids shouting and asking for things every few minutes.

Kate, summat is slang for 'something' and is pronounced like "some ut." You might see "owt or nowt" (pronounced oat or note here in the North) and that means something or nothing.

I can't wait til B is old enough for Harry Potter! I started reading the series in my late 20s (after hearing about it on NPR), turned 30 (in Rarotonga as you already know) reading the 5th installment in a hammock or blanket on the sand. I'm happy to wait until he's old enough to love them. Will be a little sad (I confess) if he doesn't.

L, I think the lump will make the photos even more special. I've always felt cute kids are just made even cuter by awful haircuts, scrapes on the nose and eggs on their foreheads. On J, I'm sorry he's giving you so many hurdles to overcome just to have a heart-to-heart conversation. I don't suppose you could fit his lack of motivation to even hear you out into the agenda, as a topic? It does seem patently imbalanced, as you already noted. "Why don't you care more ...enough to give our needs ample time?" would be a question I'd want to ask.

I'm curious - when it comes to the division of labor - what would happen if you "went on strike". Would he be the one to initiate the discussion then?

Anyway, I hope your discussion is productive when you have it, as you're nice folks.

Bridget, well done on the no reward/punishment thing. I am not one to talk because. firstly, I was all about the happy faces and misbehavior marks on the board today. And, when I went for a walk w/ B (he did about 2 miles by himself!) he almost crawled into a storm drain with an iron grate on top, and I got so scared he'd get stuck. It wasn't a huge fall to the bottom, but he faked being stuck and yelled "I'm stuck!", so I yelled at him in my mean voice. I later apologized for yelling and explained it was because I got scared, but I hate the hurt look in his eye when I yell. Sigh.

The walk was beautiful today, btw. It started out gloomy and foggy. We wandered thru the farmer's market (organic leeks for $1.99 a bunch - score!) en route and, by the time we got to a more distant beach, the sun was up, and it stayed this glowy color all the way back to the car. (Good kind of) sigh.

Last edited by demigraf; 07-04-2013 at 12:31 AM.

L, I saw this and thought of you: http://www.superduperinc.com/product...e#.UdVraYW9KK3

It's a speech therapy game (from a very well known company that makes mostly stuff for SLPs) called Pirate Talk. It's for language development. I collapsed into giggles at the idea of teaching my entire caseload of students to talk like pirates. Arrrr.

And yes, this is how I deal with insomnia. It's 5:30 am and I haven't slept yet.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Thanks Ash!

Lydia, I like the game you did with the pajamas. I think if I were more playful like that, it would help.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I think I know where Josh gets his issues with listening. I had to tell DH twice today not to hover over me in the kitchen while I'm cooking or plating food. Actually, I've been telling him that every day for quite some time now. Is it weird that I just can't function when he does that? I made the lasagna wrong because both he and Josh were in the kitchen while I was putting it together. It came out fine, but didn't have a couple things I like to throw in there. Then I was trying to plate it which is a delicate procedure especially when it's more soupy than I wanted it to be. He's like, what can I do? I wanted to say "You can go away!" LOL
    I get like that if it's too overwhelming and there are too many people actually clinging to me or sitting on my feet, but DH has a hard time doing anything involving thought or concentration if there is anyone nearby. Specifically in the kitchen, he doesn't even like getting things out of the fridge or working on a different counter if anyone else is in the room or has to run by and fill up a cup from the sink, and will say that he'll just come back later. He will shoo people away from me when I'm in there too, and sometimes I need it and sometimes I don't, but I don't have that same need for space around me in the kitchen that he does. I would actually like to teach the kids more about cooking if I could do one at a time, but it never happens that way. I get three kids pushing each other and begging to zest or chop or stir and yelling about things and then what I need to do is plan ahead and have a lot more time and patience, time to make the meal itself, and either have the kids involved in a separate, fun, interruptible activity in another room where I can bring one in at a time for tasks, or convince them that one can help one time and another can help another time, and that doesn't always work out. It's gotten easier to just cook as fast as I can.

Oh Mandy 5:30 a.m.?! I hope you get some sleep!

Last night John was cooking me dinner and he has a large stew pot similar to one I had when I was with Rich & the kids. I had a near emotional moment remembering making potato soup with my girls in our kitchen in Willseyville. It's not that I want to go back-I know that relationship is dead. But we had good times, and those kitchen moments-for all that they can be chaotic, crazy, and frustrating also become some of your favorite memories. Trust me.

ps-I'm not suggesting anyone do it more. But I am suggesting that a day will come when you'll wish you could have that craziness back again. At least 2 hours of it.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Oh, and Gwenn? Right back atcha!

Q: What’s a pirate’s favorite aspect of computational linguistics?

A: PARRRsing sentences.
    Taken from here: Pirate riddles for sophisticates.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Oh, and Gwenn? Right back atcha!

Taken from here: Pirate riddles for sophisticates.
    LOL!

DH has his Facebook language set to Pirate. It has lots of ye's and arrrs and all the rest. It startles me every time I look over his shoulder at something.

ETA: still up.

AVAST YE! You need to get off the computer, matey. Walk the plank straight into your bedroom.

I be in me bedroom. It be full daylight and, well, it ain't happening. I'll nap later.

Gwenn, what's up? Is something in your mind??

Happy Independence Day, ladies!

* on your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    * on your mind?
    No, not any more than usual. I often have trouble sleeping in the summer and I rarely do during the school year. When I'm working I'm exhausted all year and then when summer comes I sleep myself out and by the time I'm halfway through I've completely screwed up my sleep cycle. Happens every summer.

Well shoot. Now I'm disappointed in the lack of post volume from you Gwen, considering how long you've been up.

*5th pee stop in the past 30 minutes for Mr S on our road trip.

L, you're a brave woman. I hope you and S have a great time, and look forward to the pictures.

Gwenn, hope you're having a nap.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I spent most of my youth traveling alone. One kid is easy.

Have an awesome time, L! Enjoy the reduced volume of clamor for your attention.

B is busy napping, DH is hanging out w/ our senior citizen neighbor in his driveway. It's a hot, beautiful day and the windows are wide open to let in the breeze. I don't want any of DH's friends to come over. I could just lounge like this for hours.

Gwenn, I'm glad it's just regular, garden variety messed-up sleep cycle. You had me concerned for a bit there. To L's point, what, pray tell, have you been up to with all your copious conscious time?

Reading, mostly, and then DH wanted to watch The Patriot this morning. I slept like a baby after the movie was over and all the dying stopped. Just woke up. What does that say about me? Eek!

You're reverse cycling?

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    You're reverse cycling?
    Sadly, I think I am. I may have to take some sleeping pills or something to reset my sleep patterns.

We went to dbf's friend's camper/cabin. It's common around here for retired folks to spend winter in florida and summer back here in these campground communities where they all drive around on golf carts. So him and his wife invited us, said they were having a get together. I was hesitant since we have hung out with them before and the wife gets very drunk which results in a lot of annoying behavior not the least one being that I can't stand the way she talks to the kids. But dbf tooted on about how I'd be able to sit and relax while the kids played because there is a playground, pool, lake. I started to think it would be nice to talk to some adults. We arrived to find that only us and wife's friend were able to make it and the park was way up the road. So I felt kind of foolish that I put on make up and earrings (gasp) just to do what I do every day and that's follow my kids around as they adventure. Dbf stayed back at the cabin talking to adults and having drinks. Eh, whatever. After about 2.5 hours, we headed back over to have some snacks and wife was drunk. The sun was blazing and dbf's friend offered me and the kids some chairs in a shady part of the yard around a table. No sooner had we sat when I heard wife mumble semi-coherently to her friend that it looked like she wasn't going to sit in her favorite shady spot. So I stood to leave an empty chair for her, and then Sawyer stood too because he's my little shadow. We walked off a bit and she came and sat in Sawyer's chair. Sawyer walked over to her and said, "Hey! You are in my chair!" lol. You won't even believe what she said! "Well, this is my house so you are going to have to deal with it!" Sawyer looked at me like, wtf??? So...yeah. I gave dbf the time to go look and we thanked our hosts for having us and left. Dbf swears to me up and down that she is a wonderful woman when she doesn't drink but I have never seen that side of her so I really do think that is the last time I accept an invitation from them! My cousin is coming over today and possible my little bro whom I never see anymore so today should be a great day.

Mandy maybe some time for some benedryl?

Not too much going on by me. I really dislike this holiday. I hate people setting off fireworks at home. I worry about my house getting accidently set on fire and I dont' like the noise. And I especially don't like having my little Molly shaking and panting and whining because she is scared. I told Cosmo to tell her that it was fine but cosmo didn't listen. Normally Molly does whatever Cosmo does but not with fireworks. It seemed to help once we showed her some out the front window and after I sat on the floor brushing her for at least 30 minutes.

At work today, only one in my department. It was fun yesterday though. I was able to get a few pages done for our vacation scrapbook and drove around to find some local strawberries. Of course bring home a couple of huge trays of those entailed cutting them and getting them ready to freeze.

Pretty quiet so far this morning....good thing I have a few projects to work on!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Not my favorite holiday either, J. Every firecracker in the night has me bolt upright in bed just positive THAT one was a gunshot.

Eh, I don't even notice fireworks during the night and neither does Nolan.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Christina...lucky you!

I don't mind professional displays, I just don't like people shooting them off in my neighborhood. it's not like it's out in the country....it's a subdivision with homes on average sized lots. And people started with the last weekend and normally do this for a few weeks off and on.

Looks like the farmer behind me had to do soybeans....I think it was supposed to be corn but it was so rainy that a lot of corn by me didnt' get planted. It's too bad because corn keep the deer out of my garden but in the past soybeans didn't. My garden attempts have been mostly fails but I keep trying!

I'm kind of starting to feel ready for fall.....Sept.and Oct are my favorite months.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah corn and soy get alternated. I am actually really enjoying this cool summer weather and feeling good about our tick problem, which has improved so much that we have only seen one since I sprayed the crevices of the house. I think the chickens are taking care of the yard although they completely destroyed our strawberries this year with their digging.

Personal ones are illegal in NY, but as far as I can tell no one gets busted for shooting them off. They make my father crazy. He's never gone to a professional firework display in my lifetime because it triggers PTSD for him something awful. When the neighbors do it unexpectedly, he becomes a mess. I remember one year my mom's brothers (wild guys) thought it would be funny to shoot them at each other. My father flipped and was ready to kick all their asses. It was awful at the time, but in hindsight ended up being pretty funny because he was the quiet one and they all loved him dearly. And he them. They just didn't think, and dad couldn't help himself. They didn't hold it against him and never did it again.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I think I was told that it was two years soybeans, 2 years corn? I know they did two years of soybeans my first two years in the house. The deer love the corn though so I love the corn because it kept them outta my yard. And it was cool watching the wild turkies in the fall and winter looking for corn.

Definitely a better summer! It's like a normal one. Last year was awful with all those 90's and no rain. And yeah for no ticks! We cannot have chickens...technically I live in the city even though I have farms on two sides of my yard. They were trying to get chickens ok in the city but no go yet. I'm so happy because the past few summers we had awful trouble with japanese beetles and I haven't seen one yet this summer! It was so bad that on a sunny day between like 10am-4pm, I couldn't stand on my deck without them flying into me and just crawling all over.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36