Page 1407 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 407 907 1307 1357 139714051406140714081409 1417 1457 ... LastLast
Results 42,181 to 42,210 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

See, this is very interesting. I think about how to make traps sometimes, but can't remember the last time I thought about taking revenge on someone. Maybe high school?

ETA: I was starting to elaborate on it, and then decided to delete everything I wrote about traps because I decided it came across as really creepy.

Oh I've definitely wasted time as an adult daydreaming up ways of getting revenge. I'd never do it, but sometimes when I'm really, really, really aggravated with someone it just feels good to think about all the things I could do. Ya know, if I were insane.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

When I say 'sometimes' I mean maybe 3-4 people in my adult life. It's not like I'm sitting in my cube fuming about the people that irritate me at work. Although, I have joked about bringing their computer to its knees. Hmmm...maybe I'm more disturbed than I realize.

I yam kvaking in mah boots!

I did say sometimes for revenge (thinking about), but no for traps. So I guess I'm not creepy.

I can't believe I'm the only one of us who came out so high on the aspie test. I thought you girls were the only people I knew remotely like me? Guess I'm still an oddball. Oh, well, I can condescendingly call you all "normies" and look down my nose at you.

That said, I have actually assisted in administering the ADOS (the gold standard test for diagnosing Autism/Asperger's) and there was nothing there about traps. Or revenge. Or sexual practices. I'm certain of it. So I'm taking the whole thing with a huge grain of salt because I'm not sure it's even remotely valid. I do understand what most of those questions were getting at, though.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 06-18-2013 at 11:39 AM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    There is an interesting quiz for Asperger's that I found to be a lot more interesting and thorough than a lot of other online quizzes. I took it after hearing this episode from This American Life:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...the-part?act=2

I don't consider myself to have that many characteristics of ASD, but there were a few questions that just made me think, Hey, that is just like me!

I almost feel like offering a reward to those who guess which items called out to me, but then I feel like it will just be a free-for-all of you guys deciding I have unusual sexual practices or that I stare too longಠ_ಠ .

Suffice it to say, I was judged (by the quiz) to not have characteristics suggestive of Aspergers.

Anyway, I'm sure I had a lot more to say, but I have too much stuff I have to do before bedtime and that was the only moment I had to reply.

ETA: There is another post in the secular room that I haven't been able to respond to yet, for those who don't get out of this thread much.
    Just saw this and thought I'd join in since I have nothing better to do!

Your Aspie score: 179 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 26 of 200
    You are very likely an Aspie

...Well I wasn't expecting that! haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I did say sometimes for revenge (thinking about), but no for traps. So I guess I'm not creepy.

I can't believe I'm the only one of us who came out so high on the aspie test. I thought you girls were the only people I knew remotely like me? Guess I'm still an oddball. Oh, well, I can condescendingly call you all "normies" and look down my nose at you.

That said, I have actually assisted in administering the ADOS (the gold standard test for diagnosing Autism/Asperger's) and there was nothing there about traps. Or revenge. Or sexual practices. I'm certain of it. So I'm taking the whole thing with a huge grain of salt because I'm not sure it's even remotely valid. I do understand what most of those questions were getting at, though.
    Huge grain of salt, indeed. I've worked with dozens of people with autism spectrum disorders and I can pretty confidently say I don't think I fit that diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by EllyD14 View Post
    Huge grain of salt, indeed. I've worked with dozens of people with autism spectrum disorders and I can pretty confidently say I don't think I fit that diagnosis.
    Yay, I'm not alone! What is it you do?

Oh, and welcome!

Thanks! I used to manage group homes for adults with disabilities. Though, unfortunately, now I'm on disability. It was the best job I've ever had, though. It was so much fun. In the 8 years I worked there, I don't think I ever dreaded going to work. Except on days that I was going to be working 16 hours and had to be there at 5a. But that was more dreading getting up, not going to work. haha

Mandy, I have lots of social awkwardness and trouble with loud noises, so I was actually surprised I scored so neurotypically. Maybe it's my natural inclination to answer "sometimes" to everything.
    I had dd1 take it and she scored far into the Aspie category. She definitely isn't, though -- she just has some sensory stuff and can be single-minded about her interests/obsessions (I think that's more teenagerhood than anything else). She said "Oh, I know I don't have Asperger's. I'm just a fussy human."
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I totally blame myself for Conner being put in the speech therapy class. I encouraged mispronunciations because I thought they were cute. Not just Nonner-but all of them. I don't regret it. Life is short, words are cute, and we've had fun. He actually really enjoyed his little speech class sessions so...whatever. I wonder if they're going to continue? No one has said anything to either of us about next year. Hmm....

Bobbie and Jesi were a real trip. Kool Aid in our house will forever be "heg-a-leg" (the nearest I can spell it out). For whatever reason, that was easier for them to say than kool aid and that's what we've always called it. Conner probably thinks that's what kool aid really is.

Yeah, I'm a sh!t & the school's worst nightmare of a mother, I'm sure. But I did save the day & get their powerpoint slideshow projecting up on the big screen in the auditorium yesterday at Conner's kindergarten graduation because the ladies operating it couldn't figure it out. They just scowled at me. lol
    I meant to respond to this earlier and then got de-railed by the revenge/traps discussion. Must be my Asperger's getting in the way.

Did the school use the terms IEP or RTI with you? They should have said one or the other. If he is on an IEP he will be in speech until they meet with you to dismiss him formally, and they are required to have an annual meeting with you. If it's RTI, it's informal stuff and it could go either way ... but if they haven't communicated to you about how the process went they are doing something wrong. I would be annoyed here.

Oh, and I did ask about correcting nicknames on my speech fb group, and apparently there is a large group of "nickname nazis" out there. I had no idea! The whole thing devolved into an argument about whether the school had a right to tell kids what nicknames they were allowed to use. Surprisingly, it was pretty much me and one other woman saying a kid could pick his own nickname, even if it did sound babyish! But we both said we would make sure the kid at least could say his legal name. Because it doesn't exactly help when you introduce yourself as "Warry" in a job interview. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Mandy, I have lots of social awkwardness and trouble with loud noises, so I was actually surprised I scored so neurotypically. Maybe it's my natural inclination to answer "sometimes" to everything.
    I had dd1 take it and she scored far into the Aspie category. She definitely isn't, though -- she just has some sensory stuff and can be single-minded about her interests/obsessions (I think that's more teenagerhood than anything else). She said "Oh, I know I don't have Asperger's. I'm just a fussy human."
    I think I'd your DD. She sounds like an awesome kid.

Thanks! I used to manage group homes for adults with disabilities. Though, unfortunately, now I'm on disability. It was the best job I've ever had, though. It was so much fun. In the 8 years I worked there, I don't think I ever dreaded going to work. Except on days that I was going to be working 16 hours and had to be there at 5a. But that was more dreading getting up, not going to work. haha
    Now, that's working in the trenches! My co-worker managed a group home when she was first married. She has some wild stories to tell. She loved it, until one of the young men (in his 20s with Down Syndrome) made some sexual advances in her direction, and then she decided she'd stick to preschoolers.

I'm sorry you're on disability.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    I agree with Mandy, she sounds like an awesome kid. I'm a fussy human too

Oh, and I did ask about correcting nicknames on my speech fb group, and apparently there is a large group of "nickname nazis" out there. I had no idea! The whole thing devolved into an argument about whether the school had a right to tell kids what nicknames they were allowed to use. Surprisingly, it was pretty much me and one other woman saying a kid could pick his own nickname, even if it did sound babyish! But we both said we would make sure the kid at least could say his legal name. Because it doesn't exactly help when you introduce yourself as "Warry" in a job interview. LOL!
    Oooh an SLP show down! I think it is normal in all professions for people to have varying opinions on what is/is not appropriate.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    So I'm the only one that thought why I'd need to learn how to make traps when there are much easier (and unskilled) ways to take revenge?
    I have been thinking of making a trap for Molly. Like a sting operation. Secretly coat Cosmo's waste with something more nasty since poo isn't nasty enough. Let her eat it. I mean we try to limit access as much as possible but still there are times when Cosmo sneaks in there and we didn't see it and shortly after Molly gets in there.
    So yes I have been considering making a trap for my dog.

Back in high school my thoughts of revenge usually revolved around letting parents know what their teens were up to. I wasn't up to anything but had "friends" who were. I would imagine sending a typed note in the mail and said teen getting grounded or confronted.....but never followed through. I think that would have been much easier than making a trap! LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I meant to respond to this earlier and then got de-railed by the revenge/traps discussion. Must be my Asperger's getting in the way.

Did the school use the terms IEP or RTI with you? They should have said one or the other. If he is on an IEP he will be in speech until they meet with you to dismiss him formally, and they are required to have an annual meeting with you. If it's RTI, it's informal stuff and it could go either way ... but if they haven't communicated to you about how the process went they are doing something wrong. I would be annoyed here.

I think I'd your DD. She sounds like an awesome kid.
    Oh my!!! That's kinda funny. I feel a little like I've stirred a pot on a board somewhere....and mean-girl me kinda giggles at that.

I'm pretty sure it was RTI. They really weren't worried. I actually got the impression they were looking for kids to fill slots so they could justify the number of positions they have in the district.

I introduce myself as Chrissy often. I dare any SLP to correct me. bwahahahaha.

ok, I'm not having fun at work, so I'm doing it here instead. Back to the trenches....

Aren't most of us fussy humans?

So does it say something when my 30 yr old sister still calls me Jumper? She did eventually learn how to say Jennifer. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Don't know how you do it. I worked briefly in a group home for the developmentally disabled, working weekends as a counselor, and it was the most physically and mentally exhausting thing I have ever done. 15 hour days didn't help, but having to handle 10 adults so carefully didn't either.

I introduce myself as Chrissy often. I dare any SLP to correct me. bwahahahaha.

ok, I'm not having fun at work, so I'm doing it here instead. Back to the trenches....
    That's exactly what I said. Everyone at work calls me Mandy, even the kids call me Miss Mandy. One of the admin assistants is Bibi - her legal name is Maelvy (pronounced with a Spanish accent ma-el-bee) and everyone on earth calls her Bibi. What's wrong with Bibi? And why is Bibi okay but Warry/Larry isn't? Nobody could come up with a reason other than that "Mandy is an accepted nickname." Okay ... but what about those kids named Rainbow or Alexzander? Their names aren't okay? I don't think it's our business to tell people what their names are or should be.

I agree with you Mandy! I think we should decide what people can call us. My sister is a Roxanne. Acceptable nickname if Roxy or Roxie but she HATES it with a passion. But she likes Rocky so that is ok.
    I am a Jennifer. I'm fine with Jen but strongly dislike Jenny.

And I fully plan on naming with kids one thing but calling them something else. I would have a Theodore and will use Teddy most likely. DH might use Ted. Later he might decide he likes Theo. whatever. Or a girl would probably be Cassandra but we will most likely use Cassie.

most people I know don't go by their given names all the time.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Totally. As long as it's an issue of choice and not speech, little out of the jurisdiction of a therapist!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Totally. As long as it's an issue of choice and not speech, little out of the jurisdiction of a therapist!
    Yup. Where the lines cross is that I do feel like it's my job to make sure the kid can SAY Larry if he wants to. But after that, it's his decision.

My sisters name is Larkin and we always called her Luke because that's what she decided she should be called when she was 4. In school she had a huge problem with it because teachers would tell her that wasn't her name. Lucky for her she didn't start public school until 5th grade, so she had a good sense of logic to argue with by then. But it still made her really upset that other kids could use nicknames and they were trying to tell her she couldn't.

P.S. She refused to change and eventually they just got over it.

That's exactly what I said. Everyone at work calls me Mandy, even the kids call me Miss Mandy. One of the admin assistants is Bibi - her legal name is Maelvy (pronounced with a Spanish accent ma-el-bee) and everyone on earth calls her Bibi. What's wrong with Bibi? And why is Bibi okay but Warry/Larry isn't? Nobody could come up with a reason other than that "Mandy is an accepted nickname." Okay ... but what about those kids named Rainbow or Alexzander? Their names aren't okay? I don't think it's our business to tell people what their names are or should be.
    I'm with you. And I'd have gone totally batsh!t crazy on anyone that argued with me about that. Providing, of course, I actually contacted the school about the whole Nonner bit. Looking back, I'm not sure why I assumed he was so adamant about it because it was his own little perception that saying Nonner was wrong. In light of all this it looks like it would have been worthy of a phone call at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Bridget always sums everything up perfectly. She's as succinct as I am long winded.

Yup. Where the lines cross is that I do feel like it's my job to make sure the kid can SAY Larry if he wants to. But after that, it's his decision.
    Exactly. Conner can say Conner. He just always used Nonner because that's what we all called him.

It's still possible that he's simply gotten into this whole 'proper pronunciation' thing (all kids do rebel, after all!). He's constantly asking me to help him with new/unfamiliar words and how to say them. I'm encouraging that because he seems to like it and he doesn't act as if he's feeling bad about himself, his speech, or anything like that. It's more of an interest he's growing. Due to speech class, no doubt, but an interest nonetheless.

Just so long as he doesn't become part of the grammar police. We have enough of those floating around.

Ugh. I'm off work for the summer - so it stands to reason that I shouldn't be irritated by work stuff, right? Wrong.

Next year doing this community preschool think I'm going to have a brand new caseload of kids I have never seen before. We are usually given three days at the beginning of the school year as work days, and then the kids come back and all hell breaks loose. Seriously, if you want to get anything done, you have to make the most of those work days.

The caseload will be split between me and one other person who is a retiree hired back to work half-time. I'll have the majority of the kids. Apparently retirees aren't hired back over the work days. They start the same day school opens. Now, preschoolers actually don't start for another few days. I go back Monday, school opens Thursday, and preschoolers start the following Monday. So that should give me a full week to prepare. All the kids will be brand new to me so I will need to read through files, check goals, create/modify materials, develop lesson plans, and also try to figure out days and routes to see my students since I'll be driving to them. What the driving also means is that I won't have a classroom to set up.

Since my co-worker doesn't start until Thursday, she and the dept director (same department director I have had in the past) have set up a meeting on Thursday to determine which kid is on whose caseload. Obviously, she can't be expected to come to work before her contract begins - I get that. But it also means I will be at work, on contract, not knowing who my kids are or what I will need to be working on with them for three full days, with only 2 days (really 1/2 days after the meeting is finished) to do my prep. And with me responsible for the majority of the kids, knowing none of them, and not having done therapy for three years. I really feel like this is a very uncomfortable position for me to be in. It's not like a teaching position where all kindergarten classes are doing the same stuff - what I do is specific to my kids' needs and their goals. So if I don't know what those goals are, I don't know how to prepare lesson plans. Am I unreasonable for feeling like I shouldn't have to sit around (being paid) to do nothing for three days, and then rush to try to figure out what to do with all my kids in only two days after sitting around, when I could have had a full week? It would be different if I knew these kids and had some idea what I was doing with them, but in this case I think it's actually a little disrespecful of me and my time.

I sent an email off to my lead SLP asking for advice. I'm not ridiculous, am I?

I'm with you. And I'd have gone totally batsh!t crazy on anyone that argued with me about that. Providing, of course, I actually contacted the school about the whole Nonner bit. Looking back, I'm not sure why I assumed he was so adamant about it because it was his own little perception that saying Nonner was wrong. In light of all this it looks like it would have been worthy of a phone call at least.

Bridget always sums everything up perfectly. She's as succinct as I am long winded.

Exactly. Conner can say Conner. He just always used Nonner because that's what we all called him.

It's still possible that he's simply gotten into this whole 'proper pronunciation' thing (all kids do rebel, after all!). He's constantly asking me to help him with new/unfamiliar words and how to say them. I'm encouraging that because he seems to like it and he doesn't act as if he's feeling bad about himself, his speech, or anything like that. It's more of an interest he's growing. Due to speech class, no doubt, but an interest nonetheless.

Just so long as he doesn't become part of the grammar police. We have enough of those floating around.
    That's so cute. I bet he would be a really adorable kid to work with, actually. Not all of them are so easily compliant. Doesn't sound to me as though he will need speech for very long, which is a good thing.

One thing someone did suggest during this argument was that maybe he was just feeling like it was time to use a more grown-up version of his name, and this was his way of trying to tell you that. I can see a six-year-old not being sure how to have that discussion with his parents. Although in my case, apparently I informed my parents when I was three that my name was Mandy and that was what they were to call me from then on. And they did! LOL! Again, it just goes back to what I said above. His name, his choice. He can be called what he wants to be called. The school should stay out of it beyond teaching him what he needs to know.

ETA: And yes, basically everyone agreed that you should tell the SLP yourself. We are usually completely out of the loop and even if a parent tells the teacher something, that doesn't always mean the teacher remembers to tell the SLP. We spend a lot of time in the dark and don't always have as many opportunities to talk to parents as teachers do. So we love it when parents do let us know what is on their minds.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 06-18-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Kai changed his name so Cinnamon for awhile. Also Jack and Flash, I think? He would really request that we called him by his self appointed names, too. He said Kai was his baby name he couldn't use it any longer.
    Last edited by Bridget; 06-18-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Ugh. I'm off work for the summer - so it stands to reason that I shouldn't be irritated by work stuff, right? Wrong.

Next year doing this community preschool think I'm going to have a brand new caseload of kids I have never seen before. We are usually given three days at the beginning of the school year as work days, and then the kids come back and all hell breaks loose. Seriously, if you want to get anything done, you have to make the most of those work days.

The caseload will be split between me and one other person who is a retiree hired back to work half-time. I'll have the majority of the kids. Apparently retirees aren't hired back over the work days. They start the same day school opens. Now, preschoolers actually don't start for another few days. I go back Monday, school opens Thursday, and preschoolers start the following Monday. So that should give me a full week to prepare. All the kids will be brand new to me so I will need to read through files, check goals, create/modify materials, develop lesson plans, and also try to figure out days and routes to see my students since I'll be driving to them. What the driving also means is that I won't have a classroom to set up.

Since my co-worker doesn't start until Thursday, she and the dept director (same department director I have had in the past) have set up a meeting on Thursday to determine which kid is on whose caseload. Obviously, she can't be expected to come to work before her contract begins - I get that. But it also means I will be at work, on contract, not knowing who my kids are or what I will need to be working on with them for three full days, with only 2 days (really 1/2 days after the meeting is finished) to do my prep. And with me responsible for the majority of the kids, knowing none of them, and not having done therapy for three years. I really feel like this is a very uncomfortable position for me to be in. It's not like a teaching position where all kindergarten classes are doing the same stuff - what I do is specific to my kids' needs and their goals. So if I don't know what those goals are, I don't know how to prepare lesson plans. Am I unreasonable for feeling like I shouldn't have to sit around (being paid) to do nothing for three days, and then rush to try to figure out what to do with all my kids in only two days after sitting around, when I could have had a full week? It would be different if I knew these kids and had some idea what I was doing with them, but in this case I think it's actually a little disrespecful of me and my time.

I sent an email off to my lead SLP asking for advice. I'm not ridiculous, am I?
    No, you're not being ridiculous. They are. Have you heard back from the lead yet?

Welcome to the thread, Elly.

I did the quiz; here are my results:

Your Aspie score: 46 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 145 of 200
    You are very likely neurotypical

I am surprised. I think of myself as very socially awkward, so I thought I'd have a higher aspie score.

I have lots to do (including ironing; I know you ladies love that I iron), so I better log off and go do some chores!

LOL! I'm picturing Jumping Jack Flash. Cute.

Oh, man, Bridget, that reminds me we had a little guy that we tested who was obsessed with super heros. He would wake up each day and decide to be a different super hero - sometimes he was Superman/Clark Kent, sometimes he was Spiderman/Peter Parker, etc etc. He had a whole list. He would actually dress like his superhero - we met him in his Peter Parker incarnation and he had a little argyle vest and had combed his hair over in a very 50's looking way. His mother told us he picks out all his clothes and combs his hair, too. And he would insist on being called Peter Parker - he would refuse to acknowledge his own name and every day the name he would respond to would change. His mother had been dealing with this for a year or so (he was 4 at the time) and she was just at her wit's end. He had absolutely no sense of identity outside his superheros.

Okay, in that case I DID write a goal that he would respond to his name. Call me judgmental, and Conner can be Nonner for the rest of his life for all I care, but we can't all pick a different name every day and expect the rest of the world to know who we are. We have to pick something!