Page 1406 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 4069061306135613961404140514061407140814161456 ... LastLast
Results 42,151 to 42,180 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Oh that's awful! Some officers can be real d!cks. Gives the rest of them a bad name.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

My goodness you guys were busy here today! DH has Mondays off, so we went out and saw Star Trek finally, it was pretty good and this Cumberbatch guy is starting to grow on me-I still can't really figure out why I think he looks odd, but it's a good kind of odd I enjoyed the cast, but we thought it ran a bit long.

Over the weekend Josh and I went to my mom's and then my dad's on Sunday-DH was on call so he had to stay home. At my dad's house Josh told my stepmom's family about his blog. One of them is a K teacher and she said she was going to show it to her class.

I'm not sure if any of you are friends with me on goodreads.com (and actually use it) but I've made my account into Josh's-since he reads a ton more books than I do, I thought it would be a good place to keep track of what he's read and what he wants to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post

Jennifer, you are right. Really it's the degree of symptoms and how strong they are and whether they impact daily living that makes the difference at the end of the day. And in my nephew's case, I'm feeling like it really does impact daily living - if it is affecting what he will eat, who he will interact with, how much he is able to participate in school, etc. But obsessions can be about more normal things. Sometimes it's wacky stuff like washing machines but sometimes it's very age appropriate stuff like the latest cool video game. Just depends on the person. The degree of obsession is more important the the nature of the obsession.

And whew! Glad I'm not the only one who can lose time to the sims!

ETA: This is the old DSM-IV Asperger's: http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-aspergers.html
    And the new DSM-V Autism, which took over in May: https://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/n...trum-disorders
    Oh yeah I remember the headlines about the change in the DSM-V.

I haven't played my sims in a long time but yeah, it's easy to lose time there! Or other games. I know DH and I used to head over to his college since he had keys to the department lab and play age of empires together at night...after 10pm. This was before it was easy to network and it wasn't online. LOL There as a time when we suddenly realized it was 5 am and when we went in, no snow. When we came out, there was 10-12 inches and it was a very tricky ride home!

I agree that what you wrote together is a concern. I mean I know what it's like to be picky. I was very picky...am still picky but much less so. But I wouldn't have ever thrown a tantrum about eating something different. I would have just said, no thank you or I'm not hungry right now. When my parents come up to visit, if we go out, my dad sits there and doesn't have anything but a pop....and we stop at culvers on the way home for him. Granted he's an adult but we always just did the same as kids.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

OMG I would LOVE a bisketti field!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh, Mandy, I wanted to say I wasn't panicking. It was just sort of a mild curiosity. I didn't think it was a big deal, but I just wanted to make sure

So I was looking on you tube to see if maybe I could find a good video to show by brother and almost SIL and found this: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=51XWS...%3D51XWSYdi_c0

I don't know that it's necessarily the thing to show them, but I am so fascinated by this guy! He is so well spoken in an Asperger's-type way but at the same time you can clearly see something is going on with him. I'm intrigued by the fact that his obsessive topic was actually his lifelong quest to find out what exactly was wrong with him. It's long. I can actually somewhat relate.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

There is an interesting quiz for Asperger's that I found to be a lot more interesting and thorough than a lot of other online quizzes. I took it after hearing this episode from This American Life:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...the-part?act=2
    Kristen Finch was a speech therapist who sometimes worked with kids with Asperger Syndrome, symptoms of which include emotional distance, inflexibility and missing social cues. Kristin and her co-workers often joked that all their husbands had Asperger's, since the symptoms overlap with stereotypically male personality traits. But then Kristen wondered—what if it was actually true for her husband Dave? The quiz that Dave Finch took to determine whether he had Aspergers can be found online (note: it's not an official diagnostic tool). Dave wrote a book about this experience, called The Journal of Best Practices. (15 1/2 minutes)
    I don't consider myself to have that many characteristics of ASD, but there were a few questions that just made me think, Hey, that is just like me!

I almost feel like offering a reward to those who guess which items called out to me, but then I feel like it will just be a free-for-all of you guys deciding I have unusual sexual practices or that I stare too longಠ_ಠ .

Suffice it to say, I was judged (by the quiz) to not have characteristics suggestive of Aspergers.

Anyway, I'm sure I had a lot more to say, but I have too much stuff I have to do before bedtime and that was the only moment I had to reply.

ETA: There is another post in the secular room that I haven't been able to respond to yet, for those who don't get out of this thread much.

Thanks, L, I'll check that out. And possibly take it myself.

I didn't even notice another secular post. Off to investigate.

Wow, Jennifer, you have a unique husband, from the sounds of it! Mine thinks I'm crazy for wanting laundry in the laundry basket... He could not care less about things matching or decorations!

Mandy, I haven't read all the other responses yet, but I would talk to his parents about it. Just bring it up casually, see where the conversation goes. But then again, I tend to be horribly blunt and tactless...

Interesting about signing! I know Maiya's speech isn't great, but starting with sign certainly didn't slow down her language, hah.

Jennifer, of course Mandy's words mean more than mine, but I LOVED signing with Maiya, would definitely do it again, and would definitely recommend it to all parents. The interesting thing is that Maiya, and I know some other kids, even make up their own signs sometimes, with or without sign language being taught to them. Gestures are a natural way of communicating! If you're worried about time to learn them, Baby Signing Time is great...

Ah, Sims! Count me in amongst the Sims addicts. Haven't played in ages and ages, but I have been in the mood to start it back up again. But it's just one of those games that takes over your whole life, and I don't have time for that now! If it wasn't for my body needing to move, eat, sleep, and potty, I would probably play it for two days straight, hah.

Yes, Gretchen, you did, thank you! And thanks for your input on her speech. I know one on one interaction is the best judgement!

Bisketti, too cute! Maiya does have one little word that I think is hillarious. It's actually not speech / pronunciation related, but the actual meaning of the word. When we take our dog on walks, we put him in a sit stay when we take him off leash. We walk away, and when he can run free, we tell him "Freedom!" Maiya loves to be a part of this ritual, and often it is as another dog. So I am supposed to say "Freedom, two dogs!" Occassionally, though, it will be just her. At which time she tells me "It's not freed-him, Momma, I'm a girl so it's freed-her!" I've explained it to her many times, but she insists that it's freed-him and freed-her...

I hope you are able to have your totally stomachache-worthy burger soon!!

Nonner is so cute, hopefully he'll let you start calling him that again soon.

Whew, Bridget, so nice he let you off!

Oh, a quiz! I will attempt to take it now. And another post? Wow, I'll try to check it out while trying to take the quiz, heh.

Here's my score!

Your Aspie score: 61 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200
    You are very likely neurotypical

Well, according to this I have Asperger's:

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 86 of 200
    You are very likely an Aspie

I don't know how accurate it is, though. Self-report is reliant on my impressions of things and sometimes I might overthink stuff that I don't need to - oh, wait, maybe that does mean I'm an aspie! I DO think I have tendencies in that direction, though.

But what was with some of those questions? Do you like to jump over things?

I'm neurotypical, 144 out of 200 vs. 80 out of 200 for Asperger's.

You all have been so busy in here that I can't even catch up! Got back from Aspen last night and am trying to get back in the swing of things. JoJo gets back from Atlanta tomorrow morning (she has been visiting her cousins for a week!) so I need to get back to "mother-mode" tomorrow. It's been nice to sleep late!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

The one that made me giggle was the one that asked if it bothered me if someone stamped their foot in the floor. Well, yes, because now they put a hole in my floor!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Macie's word that I can't bring myself to correct is that she says "brudger man" for gingerbread man and it sounds like brother man. For the longest time she also said "rarebits" instead of batteries. Other than that, she seems to pronounce everything the way it's supposed to be.
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Well, according to this I have Asperger's:

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 86 of 200
    You are very likely an Aspie

I don't know how accurate it is, though. Self-report is reliant on my impressions of things and sometimes I might overthink stuff that I don't need to - oh, wait, maybe that does mean I'm an aspie! I DO think I have tendencies in that direction, though.

But what was with some of those questions? Do you like to jump over things?
    Yes! (the closest jumping over things emoticon I know of!) does this mean I have aspergers too? I'd take the quiz, but I'm too lazy. Well, actually I'm too busy. This stuff fascinates me though so I've been keeping up.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    Macie's word that I can't bring myself to correct is that she says "brudger man" for gingerbread man and it sounds like brother man. For the longest time she also said "rarebits" instead of batteries. Other than that, she seems to pronounce everything the way it's supposed to be.

I totally blame myself for Conner being put in the speech therapy class. I encouraged mispronunciations because I thought they were cute. Not just Nonner-but all of them. I don't regret it. Life is short, words are cute, and we've had fun. He actually really enjoyed his little speech class sessions so...whatever. I wonder if they're going to continue? No one has said anything to either of us about next year. Hmm....

Bobbie and Jesi were a real trip. Kool Aid in our house will forever be "heg-a-leg" (the nearest I can spell it out). For whatever reason, that was easier for them to say than kool aid and that's what we've always called it. Conner probably thinks that's what kool aid really is.

Yeah, I'm a sh!t & the school's worst nightmare of a mother, I'm sure. But I did save the day & get their powerpoint slideshow projecting up on the big screen in the auditorium yesterday at Conner's kindergarten graduation because the ladies operating it couldn't figure it out. They just scowled at me. lol

Your Aspie score: 92 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200
    You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

...........Whatever that means I am a bit 'particular' and have a pretty high level of social phobia and sensitivity to closeness/touch so I think that plays into that result quite a bit.

I wish I could get my husband to take this, but there is no way I could get him to sit through that, its much too long. Hm... maybe I'll just take it for him

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I decided to take it too.
    Your Aspie score: 21 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 181 of 200

Pretty much what I expected.
    AKA Lisa724

My husbands results....

Your Aspie score: 99 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 80 of 200
    You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

I find it a fascinating little quiz. It's pretty simple and (at least for us) identified our quirks in a fairly appropriate manner. Where I am 'particular' and have social phobia, he is ADD and has social phobia. Ah, a match made in dysfunctional heaven

I decided to take it too.
    Your Aspie score: 21 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 181 of 200

Pretty much what I expected.
    So.... your normal... Pshh...

Ooohhh! This is the last week of my summer class

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    So.... your normal... Pshh...
    Normal? What's that? I have plenty of other quirks
    AKA Lisa724

Here is mine
    Your Aspie score: 28 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 171 of 200

I might take it for my DH as well. Just looking at the questions, I am thinking he would have a different response. I mean he's super awesome and a great DH....but he is a bit different.

I took it for my DH as well. I'm kind of surprised....I thought he might be more aspie than that.
    Your Aspie score: 56 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 142 of 200

Last edited by Cosmosmom; 06-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Normal? What's that? I have plenty of other quirks
    I like quirks

Quirks is a requirement to post here.

Your Aspie score: 54 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 155 of 200

It was probably the unusual sexual preferences question that got me. Well, that, and all of the social stuff... but I guess I'm pretty normal.

I just hope they keep track of the people who answer "often" to these two questions:
    Have you had long-lasting urges to take revenge?
    Have you been fascinated about making traps?
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Your Aspie score: 54 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 155 of 200

It was probably the unusual sexual preferences question that got me. Well, that, and all of the social stuff... but I guess I'm pretty normal.

I just hope they keep track of the people who answer "often" to these two questions:
    Have you had long-lasting urges to take revenge?
    Have you been fascinated about making traps?

G....I think I might have thought about saying often to the revenge one but I think I did sometimes. LOL But never thought of making a trap. I'm mean, I think up all these revenge plots if some truly did me wrong but I have never carried through with one. I did tell my DH before that if he ever cheated on me or left me, I most likely would be a b*tch about it and it woudln't be pretty. Which hurt mr. sensitive's feelings that I might be mean to him. I said, well if don't divorce me, I won't have a reason to be mean.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Your Aspie score: 33 of 200
    Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 182 of 200

I think I'll post this on FB. I suspect that some people I know have fairly dominant Aspie traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    G....I think I might have thought about saying often to the revenge one but I think I did sometimes. LOL But never thought of making a trap. I'm mean, I think up all these revenge plots if some truly did me wrong but I have never carried through with one. I did tell my DH before that if he ever cheated on me or left me, I most likely would be a b*tch about it and it woudln't be pretty. Which hurt mr. sensitive's feelings that I might be mean to him. I said, well if don't divorce me, I won't have a reason to be mean.
    Perfectly reasonable! And I think answering yes to one or the other of those two questions is totally fine. Only in combination do they become creepy.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

So I'm the only one that thought why I'd need to learn how to make traps when there are much easier (and unskilled) ways to take revenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    So I'm the only one that thought why I'd need to learn how to make traps when there are much easier (and unskilled) ways to take revenge?
    I am still confused by the traps question in general, but I am not one for revenge. Grudge? Heck yeah, but not revenge. I don't have time for that mess.