Page 1399 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3998991299134913891397139813991400140114091449 ... LastLast
Results 41,941 to 41,970 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I don't know what spirulina is but OMG, I would not want anything to increase appetite either. I'm almost constantly hungry as it is minus the 15-20 minutes directly after a meal.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yes, Jennifer, fish or flax oil would be good if you don't like to eat fish, as those omega 3s improve "good" cholesterol. For me personally, my total cholesterol, triglycerides and "bad" (LDL) cholesterol are all great, but for some reason I have trouble keeping up the "good" (HDL). Some people say they get "fishy burps" after taking fish oil capsules, but I take a Nordic Naturals kind that's strawberry-flavored (great mixed into yogurt - I give it to Noe and dd1 too!) and I don't have that trouble. But if you want the omegas from food sources, they're in flaxseeds, olive and canola oil, nuts, avocado, and, wonderfully, mayonnaise.
    Do you get gut issues from eating too much fat, with the bypass? I know you have to be careful what you put in.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

My problem is, when I get hungry I want something NOW. Which means if I am on the road and I'm hungry, even if I'm heading home I don't even want to think about having to prepare something when I get there, so I stop for fast food. I know it's horrible. I love fish but it takes time to prepare and you have to buy it the day you want it or the day before if you really have to. I even like salads if I have everything on hand, but bags of greens don't last long. I bought a few prepared salads and little box lunches by GoPicnic at Target today. They have a good selection for quick, low cal lunches.

Mayo is to me. and I don't like avocado either. I do watch fat and sugars but not to an extensive amount. Like I don't eat KFC anymore or pizza hut but I can eat most pizzas long as they are grease pits of pizzas. I can usually have a donut but last week my coworker brought in some kind and that made me sick for 20 minutes. It was a different kind from I normally get and I was like, whoah, don't feel so hot....this sucker must have had a lot of sugar in it. My coworkers were like, yeah you look really flushed. Sat at my desk and upped the air and drank some water and 20 minutes later I was fine.
    I do use olive oil maybe 2 times a week, get the butter mixed with canola and we love nuts.
    Really the biggest side effect is if I overeat (I can eat normal amounts or even above what should be normal but I cannot do like Thanksgiving overeating....sometimes it is just one or two bites too many that throws me over the edge), I'm in a world of pain or if I don't chew enough and swallow a bit too big a piece....that really hurts. I just forget and do that every once in a while. Laying on my left side really helps and usually that goes away in 20-30 minutes.

I go in at the end of the month so will be doing blood work but usually my cholesterol is pretty good. I do need to get my rear in gear though because I'm kind of a ticking time bomb. My dad, his brothers, my grandpa...are or were all diabetics and that is the side of the family I take after rather strongly.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Salads are my go-to. I eat a green salad every single day for lunch -- most often just lettuce/spinach, cucumber, carrots, green onion, tomatoes. Sometimes I add in rice noodles. I make my own dressings but I make enough to last a few weeks at a time. I also premake a lot of the stuff, like I cook enough rice noodles to last all week and keep them in the fridge so I can just toss them in, and I grill a bunch of chicken breast at once, cut it up and keep it in the fridge or freezer so I can just toss it into a salad or pasta. I can throw together a whole-meal salad in about 5 minutes now. I send one to work with dh a few times per week, too, though he needs something more substantial to go along with it (usually leftovers).

Have you thought about the kind of salads you can make ahead and use for a week or so? I usually have a container of wheat-berry salad, tabbouleh, tofu or chicken curry salad, tuna salad, etc. in the fridge that I can just throw onto a bed of greens/spinach or into a pita for a really quick meal. I only have to make it once a week, generally on the weekend, and I get a lot of meals from it. I do go through lettuce or spinach quickly (my lunch salads are huge!) but I buy it almost every time I go shopping, and we also grow it in our garden so I almost never run out.

Yeah, I think I'm just being lazy. LOL. When I get hungry I'm also not exactly craving a salad. I've even started eating breakfast regularly (I never really used to eat breakfast) and I'm still hungry for lunch by 10:30 or 11. Then I get ravenously hungry again by 2 or 3:00 and that's when I dive into the nasty snacks like chips. I have no portion control. If DH would lay off the junk food it would be easier because it wouldn't be in the house, but he can eat whatever he wants and would rather eat nothing than have a salad or celery sticks.

I love salad. Mine are boring though lettuce, tomato, cucumber, shredded carrots, and generally cheese (cause, you know, its not a meal without cheese )

Is making your own dressing difficult (i.e. require a lot ofi ngredients and time)?

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

We like salads too, especially this time of year when tomatoes and cucumbers taste ok from the store. If I buy a bag of salad, that is one meal for us. I don't like salad dressing so ours is the bag, cucumbers, tomatoes, parm cheese, some nuts, crutons, dried cranberries and dressing for DH. I would take those for lunch for it's a bit of a pain when working. So it's more a weekend thing.
    my lunch every single day at work is a high fiber whole grain bread...2 slices with ultra thin slice colby jack and turkey. A bag to half baggie of baby carrots. An apple. Depending on what the soup is at work, I might get a cup of soup but don't always eat the apple or eat less baby carrots. I pretty much like having the exact same lunch and DH doesn't mind making it for me when it's the same thing.

I am generally pretty good about planning out dinners each week. Tonight is tacos. Again I don't like sour cream...we like a lot of lettuce and tomatos.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I take it back....I will eat this chinese salad my mom makes with a dressing. I think it's red wine vinegar, oil and sugar I think.

Christina....are you a WI girl at heart? We LOVE cheese and it's probably our biggest downfall I think. String cheese, cheddar, moz., parm, ricotta, colby, colby jack, chedder jack, american even......yum. DH says everything tastes better with cheese.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I take it back....I will eat this chinese salad my mom makes with a dressing. I think it's red wine vinegar, oil and sugar I think.

Christina....are you a WI girl at heart? We LOVE cheese and it's probably our biggest downfall I think. String cheese, cheddar, moz., parm, ricotta, colby, colby jack, chedder jack, american even......yum. DH says everything tastes better with cheese.
    My life's motto! No matter what I am making, what recipe I am following, I add cheese. It is shameful, but I can't help myself.

I always, always, always have a smoothie in the morning with spinach, fruit, sometimes yogurt, protein powder, spirulana. Problem is, sometimes I also have a pancake-or 2. If I would knock that off, as well as the snacking after the kids go to bed, I'd lose this fat ring around my middle. My pancakes are so good though. I use a lot of coconut oil in the pan so they are crisp deliciousness. Then butter and maple syrup. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    I love salad. Mine are boring though lettuce, tomato, cucumber, shredded carrots, and generally cheese (cause, you know, its not a meal without cheese )

Is making your own dressing difficult (i.e. require a lot ofi ngredients and time)?

I also love cheese on my salad! And salt...since I was a kid I've been salting my salads and my parents and DH think I'm crazy but it makes it taste so much better.

Making your own dressing is not hard. You just need oil, and some kind of acid (lemon juice, vinegar, etc.), and seasoning. A little dab of mustard in a vinaigrette helps hold it all together.

My life's motto! No matter what I am making, what recipe I am following, I add cheese. It is shameful, but I can't help myself.
    Ha! I love cheese too. Our whole family loves it. Sometimes I can't believe how much cheese we eat ... it's by far the biggest drawer in the fridge and when I sorted out our food budget using receipts and old shopping lists, it turned out to be one of our biggest expenses. It's so delicious, though. In our fridge just at this moment we have blue, feta, goat, parm, romano, mozzarella, cheddar, jack, american, paneer and muenster. And cream and cottage. And some of those little waxed cheese wheels (Noe loves them for snacks and calls them "cheese tires" - haha). I think we eat a lot more cheese because we don't -- or Noe and I don't, anyway -- eat a lot of meat. But it goes with everything!

As for making your own dressings, no, it's not hard at all! The three dressings I make most often, though - blue cheese, herbed ranch, and miso - don't have oil in them. They have greek yogurt instead, and sometimes mayo and/or sour cream. It takes me about 5 minutes to whip up a batch of dressing. I keep them in mason jars in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I don't know how people manage to stay sane with kids in the house. OMG, it's driving me nuts that there is no quiet time at all. Especially after Mira gets home, it's non-stop yap, yap, yappity yap! They play just fine together, but holy **** the noise is seriously impeding my ability to hold onto a thought for more than a nanosecond. I went out and got some games. The kids seem quite taken with Jenga.
    This made me think of my coworker. I really think he purposefully tries to distract me when I'm supposed to be concentrating-in the hopes I'll screw up. I can tune him out though because I have 4 kids. When I need to concentrate, I could on a subway. It's conditioning-you just get used to it. Or perhaps having a number of kids will either make or break you. I could be broken & not know it.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    L, I'm always kind of flabbergasted at what your mom expects for her special days. Remembering the mother's day kerfuffle... and then last week when you said it had been your mom's birthday and you "only" took her out to lunch -- that's not enough? Then you had to do an "event" with her and the whole family - man. Does everyone in your family get that kind of treatment for birthdays, or is it just your mom? It sounds exhausting. I'm feeling really lucky that no one in my family expects that, because I'd fall very short of their expectations.
    The same here. Mine are lucky if I remember to call them. I'll take them out for lunch, but not every year. Every 3-4 years maybe. That's it. Birthdays are for kids in my family and that's how I like it.

Salads are my go-to. I eat a green salad every single day for lunch -- most often just lettuce/spinach, cucumber, carrots, green onion, tomatoes. Sometimes I add in rice noodles. I make my own dressings but I make enough to last a few weeks at a time. I also premake a lot of the stuff, like I cook enough rice noodles to last all week and keep them in the fridge so I can just toss them in, and I grill a bunch of chicken breast at once, cut it up and keep it in the fridge or freezer so I can just toss it into a salad or pasta. I can throw together a whole-meal salad in about 5 minutes now. I send one to work with dh a few times per week, too, though he needs something more substantial to go along with it (usually leftovers).

Have you thought about the kind of salads you can make ahead and use for a week or so? I usually have a container of wheat-berry salad, tabbouleh, tofu or chicken curry salad, tuna salad, etc. in the fridge that I can just throw onto a bed of greens/spinach or into a pita for a really quick meal. I only have to make it once a week, generally on the weekend, and I get a lot of meals from it. I do go through lettuce or spinach quickly (my lunch salads are huge!) but I buy it almost every time I go shopping, and we also grow it in our garden so I almost never run out.
    I ate salads every day for lunch for years, and then hit a sort of brick wall where I could.not.put.one.more.fork.full in my mouth. I mean-I just couldn't eat it no matter what dressing I used or what I added to it. It's been a couple years, so just this week I bought stuff to make salads again. And I bought some pita bread...I thought some leafy stuff with baked/grilled chicken could suffice for lunch. I have 10-15 lbs I'd like to lose.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Ooh, fun. We're talking homemade salad dressings. My favorite homemade salad dressings are variations of these (I don't really measure anymore):

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30392-ho...salad-dressing
    -and-
    http://www.food.com/recipe/tahini-go...dressing-95888

Gretchen, your cheese collection sounds enviable. I'll bet you have access to some pretty swank cheese shops too. We only have sliced havarti, shredded Mexican and mozzarella in the regular lineup. I also like smoked gouda. It's not-a-bad-a.

How sad is it that I'd never attempt to make this one http://www.food.com/recipe/tahini-go...dressing-95888 simply because it calls for too many things. Once something needs 7 or more ingredients, I move on to something else. I'm FAR too lazy to chop up or measure more than 7 or 8 things for 1 food item.

In fact, if I can't decide between two dishes, I ALWAYS go for the thing that calls for the least amount of ingredients.

Ha ha, Myles. We do have good cheese shops, but I don't go to them -- at least not regularly. My favorite dairy, though (Spring Hill in Petaluma), brings their cheeses to the local farmer's market and I splurge on them now and again. I especially love their dry jack, old world portuguese, and lemon quark. I'm not sure my cheese drawer is enviable -- and what it's doing to our arteries certainly isn't. I guess it could be considered a vice. I've tried to cut back, but we do use them all. We don't always have goat, mozzarella or american... just when I'm going to cook with them. And the paneer I can only get from the Indian grocery downtown, so I'm lucky when I happen to have some in the fridge.

Those dressings look delish! Thanks for sharing - I'll try them.

We have a specialty store that has its own chilled cheese room. The produce room is also chilled. I love it there but it's not cheap, so I don't go often. Both our grocery stores have a decent cheese selection and so does Target.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I also love cheese on my salad! And salt...since I was a kid I've been salting my salads and my parents and DH think I'm crazy but it makes it taste so much better.

Making your own dressing is not hard. You just need oil, and some kind of acid (lemon juice, vinegar, etc.), and seasoning. A little dab of mustard in a vinaigrette helps hold it all together.
    I have an uncle who adds salt to his salad, it always cracked me up! You like what you like though!

Ha! I love cheese too. Our whole family loves it. Sometimes I can't believe how much cheese we eat ... it's by far the biggest drawer in the fridge and when I sorted out our food budget using receipts and old shopping lists, it turned out to be one of our biggest expenses. It's so delicious, though. In our fridge just at this moment we have blue, feta, goat, parm, romano, mozzarella, cheddar, jack, american, paneer and muenster. And cream and cottage. And some of those little waxed cheese wheels (Noe loves them for snacks and calls them "cheese tires" - haha). I think we eat a lot more cheese because we don't -- or Noe and I don't, anyway -- eat a lot of meat. But it goes with everything!

As for making your own dressings, no, it's not hard at all! The three dressings I make most often, though - blue cheese, herbed ranch, and miso - don't have oil in them. They have greek yogurt instead, and sometimes mayo and/or sour cream. It takes me about 5 minutes to whip up a batch of dressing. I keep them in mason jars in the fridge.
    I don't eat much in the way of meat, just not a fan, and since Nolan can't handle much in the way of milk we substitued his diet with other dairy items (including cheese, the boy loves his cheese). I've tried to limit it, but have failed miserable. I cut back on my bread, I'm not giving up my cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Ooh, fun. We're talking homemade salad dressings. My favorite homemade salad dressings are variations of these (I don't really measure anymore):

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30392-ho...salad-dressing
    -and-
    http://www.food.com/recipe/tahini-go...dressing-95888
    I'll have to try those!!

It's so silly, but the concept of making my own dressing never occurred to me. Just like the conversation about doubling and freezing meals, it was all of a sudden 'ta-da' I can do that!

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    How sad is it that I'd never attempt to make this one http://www.food.com/recipe/tahini-go...dressing-95888 simply because it calls for too many things. Once something needs 7 or more ingredients, I move on to something else. I'm FAR too lazy to chop up or measure more than 7 or 8 things for 1 food item.

In fact, if I can't decide between two dishes, I ALWAYS go for the thing that calls for the least amount of ingredients.
    Yes, a hundred times yes. Seriously, I don't have the time, energy, inclination, or willpower to sit there and deal with a dozen ingredients. I can.not.do.it! The chili recipe that I got from in here (I think it was G?? my memory sucks) was pushing my limit ingredient wise BUT it makes two batches, so I can freeze one, so I suck it up and do it That and it's freaking amazing (hubs words).

Kate - skimming and I really thought you said there was a store that had its own grilled cheese room! Yummy!

I adore cheese.

Making vinaigrette is the easiest, and only a few ingredients. Much yummiest than store-bought, and you can adjust it. I make one with rice wine vinegar and half olive oil, half vegetable oil. Salt and pepper, some peeled garlic cloves and a the juice from a lemon. And then you can add other things to make it good - Dijon mustard or grated Parmesan work well. And sometimes to make it creamy I mix in plain yogurt. And it lasts a long time in the fridge in a jar or an old dressing bottle reused.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

We are phasing out of cheese. I love it. All kinds. But Savana does not and we are cutting out dairy for Kai again to see if it helps with his tummy/rash issues. He loves it, so it does not seem fair to have it in the house when he can't have it. I may keep some of the stronger kinds around, since he does not like them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    DH says everything tastes better with cheese.
    My DH always says "It's betta with butta" (because he has a Boston area accent).

=========================

I personally do fine with a diet high in animal fat. I know that's not for everyone, particularly if you have intolerances for various health reasons. My plate has been looking more and more Paleo as time goes by (protein and plants that aren't grains or legumes). I'm lactose intolerant, so I get my calcium from dark greens. My lipid panel looked good back in March, and my bone density scan (by DEXA) showed I head the bones of a 30 year old (apparently the age that you stop building bone density and just try to keep whatever you have). Kale is my staple. Like EVERY DAY there is kale. Since my garden doesn't reward me with a bumper crop of it, I buy organic baby kale from Costco in giant bags, and other greens from local and farmer's markets. DH calls me "Overkale". But what I love is that Bodhi will eat a kale salad with his meal straight up. He's had it since he was a little baby. I used to cook it in a marinara with (this sounds gross but it's yummy) lemon and mayonaisse. And one day, little 1 year old Bodhi toddled up to me and started eating it by the fistful from my plate. He likes cooked beet greens too. I'm not 100% thrilled with Bodhi's diet (which looks much more like DH's than mine, still very grain-dominant), but if I did one thing right, it's teach him to eat his greens. Now if I could just address my sweet tooth. I like more savory than sweet, but it does seem like I haven't broken the habit of having one sweet thing after dinner, and it's usually an ice cream or one dark chocolate-covered cherry/almond cluster. I love homemade ice cream (not that I eat it more than store-bought). I made coconut haystacks not too long ago after I bought one up in Tahoe. They're the easiest thing in the world and so tasty. You just brown shredded coconut in a pan - maybe with butter, I can't remember. And then melt semi-sweet or dark chocolate in either a double boiler (or the Myles way - in the microwave). Then toss it all together, spoon them out into little clusters, let solidify and voila!

My favorite thing about cooking IS the leftovers. Is that weird? I love figuring out how to repurpose them. This morning, I used the leftover Dover sole from last night to make an omelette (too much dill, I have to say). Plus, leftovers make for easy school lunches or come to work with me the next day. I've started to look forward to Saturdays, when I make it sort of a goal of mine to polish off whatever there is from the week in the refrigerator. So it's like going to a Vegas buffet, where you'll have cuisine from, like, every country on your plate. ;)

I joined this group of bodybuilders on FB - mostly guys - because I wanted to learn more about this intermittent fasting thing that they do (it's basically to eat all your day's calories within a compressed time window of 6-8 hours). Well, that type of fasting didn't work out for me when I tried it (I lost my period for a month back in November), but the food porn they post is A-MAZING. It's hilarious. All these big, well-muscled bros share photos of their meals and post recipes for things like sweet potato shepherd's pie, cheesecake and "beer"amisu. I go there now for the recipes more than the workout tips.

I've never had Kale. My MW suggested working some into my diet, but honestly have NO idea what to do with it, so.... I didn't

I don't think I have ever had kale either. I did used to put fake plastic kale around the salad bar when I worked in a cafeteria. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I had fried kale chips in CO with Shannon's aunt. They were yummy!

I've never had Kale. My MW suggested working some into my diet, but honestly have NO idea what to do with it, so.... I didn't
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html

And it's only 3 ingredients Christina!

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html

And it's only 3 ingredients Christina!
    Woot, that's what I'm talking about

I highly doubt I'll be able to talk DH into eating them though

Woot, that's what I'm talking about

I highly doubt I'll be able to talk DH into eating them though
    I know! lol...I'm all over that sh1t.

Just don't tell him what it is. They really taste good. Addicting.

Kale chips are delicious! Messy, but delicious. Everyone in our house loves them and a whole bowl disappears in minutes. I have the best luck using my silpat to keep them from burning - that and a low, slow temp. I just toss with salt, a wee spritz of olive oil and the same of balsamic vinegar.
    I used to eat tons of kale -- love kale smoothies, salad, pretty much everything! but I had to cut back with the iron issues. I've worked some back into my diet, but in moderation. I really missed it. Weird, I know. It's a very odd thing when you realize that a kale salad is an indulgence! But there you are.
    My favorite kale smoothie is green, but doesn't taste like it at all. It's a great way to work it in painlessly if you're new to it. Just stuff the blender with a couple of cups of kale (middle ribs removed), pour in 1 cup milk or almond milk (if I use dairy milk, I toss in a handful of almonds or pecans too), 1 or 2 tbsp peanut butter, and a frozen banana. If the banana's not super ripe, add a drizzle of honey. That recipe's also good with spinach, but I like the fresher taste of kale better. Any kind of kale will do, but I usually use lacinato/dinosaur.

I have to get a better blender before I can start doing smoothies again. My poor blender, it's dying a slow death.