Page 1398 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3988981298134813881396139713981399140014081448 ... LastLast
Results 41,911 to 41,940 of 44505

Thread: Secular Confessions

So sorry to read this, Katy.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Just more cleaning and organizing over here. Also, I caved and sprayed poison in certain areas of my house where I read that ticks may go to lay eggs, mainly in the crevices of our floors where the flooring meets the wall. Also ordered some beneficial nematodes which Kai has his microscope ready for ever since I mentioned they were microscopic.

What did you all do?

Katy, I'm so sorry about your kitty. I'm positive you were a caring friend to her as well.

======================
    My girlfriends have been up from San Diego all weekend (for one's 40th b'day), and so my last few days have been packed with airport runs, sightseeing and loads of girl giggles. We spent yesterday in Sonoma County going from the Korbel Winery for morning champagne, lunch in this hippie/gay-friendly river town called Guerneville, walking around an old growth redwood forest, then onto Goat Rock Beach - where the Russian River flows into the Pacific - and finally ending our day having dinner in Petaluma, where my friend, Amy & I hatched a new business idea to offer "star tours" of the childhood haunts of Gen X celebrities, starting with Winona Ryder who grew up there. I'd be ready for that massive earthquake that will slide Southern California northerly, so San Diego can be that much closer to San Francisco if nobody would get hurt in the process. I love time spent with them.

Mandy, there were two former SLPs from Tucson in my house this weekend (both graduated your same program at the same uni one or two years ahead of you.) I invoked your name at least twice in conversation.

Oh, yes, I also took Sat morning to volunteer again as a photog for my mom's club portrait fundraiser. It was a gorgeous sunny, beach day. Afterwards, B & I were playing hide & seek at the park where the fundraiser was held, and B yelled, "Mom! S (his bestie) is here!", and up runs S & his mom who were there for the end of t-ball season picnic. (S is the one whose parents split up, but they were both still coaching a team so they were there hosting the picnic). So we hung around for the picnic, as it turned out most of the teammates were children of moms I knew from the club. After we left, I drove past the gym at the other end of town to meet up w/ my visiting friends, and another mommy honked and waved at me as she was exiting. It made me feel good to live in what felt like a small town where I was part of the community.

And I've finally decided... it's not my imagination... men who are married to Asian women love to show me pictures of their Asian wives because - well, d'uh - I'm Asian too. Of course that's going to endear me to them, right?

Sorry about your kitty

I'm finally over my "party season". UGH. The kid's bdays are May 29 & 31 so we did a big party on the 18th, then my bro turned 30 on friday so I had a party for him at my house sat night. I love parties, but I'm kind of glad to be done. And now we are leaving for my dad's camp on friday for the weekend. It's a 4hr drive and has no electricity or indoor bathroom.
    AKA Lisa724

Yesterday I went to an RE committee meeting. We're supposed to be deciding the curriculum for the upcoming church year and I was the only one who had looked over the different options so they went with the classes I suggested. I was all stressed out the night before, thinking I was going to be the least prepared to discuss it. It was a lot of information!

After the meeting we went to a birthday party for Josh's friend. It's really nice to see him interacting with his classmates. He really seems to be well-liked. I say this with a bit of surprise and a lot of relief since he can be such a terror at home. I should be glad he's saving his good behavior for school, right?

On Saturday DH works, so Josh and I did some errands. Nothing really exciting.

That's awesome that you got to see Josh as a relaxed, well-adjusted social creature out of the house. It probably just means he trusts you so much to show you his other sides.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    And I've finally decided... it's not my imagination... men who are married to Asian women love to show me pictures of their Asian wives because - well, d'uh - I'm Asian too. Of course that's going to endear me to them, right?
    I'm laughing at myself right now for spelling "duh" like I would write out Homer Simpson's "d'oh!".

Our Sys Admin is off for another 2 weeks and of course there's a "central services" program that must be upgraded before his return so this project to update a plug-in was dumped in my lap. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things (microsoft's system center) but that's the program I had a whirlwind 3 day training in immediately before my trip. I haven't really used it, much less created/edited any applications.

Without any help from anyone, not even Google, I poked around and figured it out by myself. I know-you're so not impressed but this is why I'm a geek. I love those 'ah ha!' moments when I can figure something out all by myself.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I thought the d'uh was kind of like a valley girl accent

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

A little craziness on my end so no time to catch up but Katy I am so sorry

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I'm in the airport so will catch up more fully at home, but Myles, that's too funny about your SLP conclave! Did your friends remember me?
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I'm a little busy, exploiting cheap child labor, so I'll catch up a little later.

Thanks Myles. That's what I hear-that kids feel safe at home so they exhibit behavior they wouldn't show in other places. It doesn't really make sense to me--he gets in trouble at home for the same things he'd get in trouble for at school. But at least he doesn't have school problems, too.

DH and I had to bring him to school late one day and we happened to get there just as his class was walking down the hall, coming back from music class or something. A bunch of his class mates happily said "Joshua! Joshua's here!" It was nice to see

Chrissy, I love it when I can figure out something myself too. I'm quick to text DH or ask a friend and when that fails and I actually figure something out myself, I feel proud.

Chrissy, those are the best moments!

Suja...got the clothes today I love everything! Maddy is obsessed with her new "housecoat"
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I'm so sorry about your cat, Katy.

----------

I spent all day on Saturday taking my car into the shop. Sunday I had a 3-hour kid birthday party followed by my mom's birthday event, which was all of us getting together at a museum. By the time we got done with the day, the kids were exhausted and cranky and bursting into tears at the slightest provocation, but I think everyone had fun.

On Sunday, we met up with the other room mom from Mira's class and her two kids, and went to the fair. We were there from 10:30 AM until 4:30 PM. It was SO much fun. One of the kids is a 6 year old, and of course, Mira and S were like two peas in a pod. They hung out together and went on all the rides together. And two adults to 3 kids is not a bad ratio. R, the little boy from her class is just barely potty trained, and his mom took him to the toilet around 3:00. The line was long, and he was doing the 'gotta go now' dance, but of course, no one allowed him to go to the head of the line. She ended up emptying out her lemonade container and letting him pee in it. Then, after we left the fair, I had all the kids with me, because they had parked quite far away, and mom went to get their car. And R again told me that he had to go. I asked if he could hold it, and while he said yes initially, a few minutes a later, he told me that he just had to go. Since there are no bathrooms in the parking structure, I emptied out the blue raspberry slushie, and he peed in it. Then, they had fun 'EWWWW'-ing at it, and putting the lollipop sticks into the container through the straw. Good times!

I don't know how people manage to stay sane with kids in the house. OMG, it's driving me nuts that there is no quiet time at all. Especially after Mira gets home, it's non-stop yap, yap, yappity yap! They play just fine together, but holy **** the noise is seriously impeding my ability to hold onto a thought for more than a nanosecond. I went out and got some games. The kids seem quite taken with Jenga.

Karen, you got the box really quickly this time! Glad you like it, and that at least some of it fits. And I'm gonna have to do a 'housecoat' poll now.

We were going through the local parade of homes this weekend. It was nice because it was a nice day and we were driving all over in nearby cities we don't normally go to. And it was like playing house hunters......I mean all were really nice homes and we were oh, we don't like this, this is nice, I don't like that. LOL They were all decorated too. I was looking for backsplash ideas for the kitchen and one home had rounded corners AND was painted different colors so it was REALLY nice seeing how that looks. We have rounded corners and my walls are still white because I didn't know how to paint them without doing the kitchen/dining/living room and hall all the exact same color.
    Homes were more high end...in the 200-500K range not including lot, wells, septic, landscaping. There are 3 over that range. I could tell that dark woodwork is really in, mission trim is really in (the houses generally had very nice woodwork and some built-ins), high end appliances. But the kicker was that most had either laminte or mostly laminate counters. We were shocked by that in those price ranges and considering everything else was higher end. And all had at least some carpet, generally bedrooms and lower levels.
    Overall we found that we still love our house the most. We think we have a good layout. I wish I had some of the fancy woodwork but we have tall ceilings and could always add that if we had the money. I do wish we could have made the master a bit bigger and had a bigger closet. Our works fine but we would have liked more.
    The one thing I was seriously sweating was most of them had awesome mudrooms. As in a laundry room AND a good sized mudroom. Ours is combined and works ok for the two of us most of the time. But yeah it would be cool to have the space when you come in from the snow with multiple people and have a ton of stuff to dry out.

While we were driving around looking for a home, we drove past a furniture store that I had been wanting to go to. This is in a different city about 30 minutes from us. We have been looking for an entertainment center forever and not finding anything that goes with our stuff and is a wall unit and not a TV stand. I asked the store closest to me if they had books to look through and order and they were no and looked at me like I was crazy. So we stopped in this other store, asked if they had books and she was like oh yeah sure we do. Found almost pretty much exactly what we had been looking for and I think will order it next month. And on top of it, it's cheaper than we had expected. It's this one but cheaper than this price http://www.entertainmentcenterspot.c...oute-66-3439bc
    We just want to get the vacation off the credit card and see how much Cosmo is going to cost first. her vet appt is tomorrow morning.

I even found out that I won a basket that we signed up for at one the houses from the visit (my city) office. I don't know what is in it as I didn't look when we signed up but I will pick it up tomorrow.

Sunday it was cool and raining so I made banana bread and chex/snack mix for DH. Made a father's day card for my dad, worked on dog training a bit and we played computer games together....Age of Empires.

Overall it was a really nice weekend.

Now tonight I have doggie class and am hoping that Molly doesn't whine the whole freaking time again. She is such a good dog most of the time and does her stay, sit, come, go in your house....all that really well at home most of the time. But she is not good in public and either barks at everything or whines.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer, it sounds like she needs more exposure. When you can, take her with you. Everywhere. Train the stuff she knows well, when she's outside. Find a quiet spot to park in, and let her watch, rewarding quiet behavior. Get closer to stimuli, rewarding as long as she is behaving, stepping back and repeating as necessary. And always end on a positive note. It's great that you're continuing with her training. Most people don't make it past puppy class.

Yeah I have started working on come when called when she is outside. She has that little nose and sometimes like to ignore me and sniff the gopher holes.
    I do know some of this is my fault. We were working on training and when she was a puppy in the middle of northern WI winter which meant we didn't get out. Add to that that by nature she is a bit of a drama queen and a whiner....I mean DH wanted her because she was really quiet and kind of whined when the rest of the puppies were folicking and more aggressive. Which is great that she is so laid back and chill at home when we have an older senior dog.
    Even my parents are like, man you raise needy dogs. She's been to my parents house probably at least 6-7 times as we go a few times a year. And she whined a LOT for a least two days when we left them a week while on vacation. And she had her sister with her! And knows my parents because they also come up by us.

It is definitely harder with two because we did take Cosmo out more but now I don't want to take Molly out and not take Cosmo. Cosmo we never even did a puppy class with her or any formal training.....just went on instinct and we both grew up with dogs. She was so easy! The biggest reason I'm doing more classes with Molly is to get her more used to being in the car (she whines for that but settles down eventually or it would be a LONG 5 hours to get back home!).....and to force her to see other people and dogs.

Wonder if she would do better if I tired her out a bit before class? I'm also trying using her collar this week and tightened it up a few days ago so it didn't slip off. Before we were using a harness. Cosmo's old one....as awesome as she is, I never was able to get her to not pull and couldn't stand her choking and a harness worked great. Cosmo has always been one to choke easily. So I just assumed that a harness was better and used it on Molly.

On the one hand I LOVE that my girls are super clingy to us but would like to see Molly have just a bit more confidence like her sister.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

L, I'm always kind of flabbergasted at what your mom expects for her special days. Remembering the mother's day kerfuffle... and then last week when you said it had been your mom's birthday and you "only" took her out to lunch -- that's not enough? Then you had to do an "event" with her and the whole family - man. Does everyone in your family get that kind of treatment for birthdays, or is it just your mom? It sounds exhausting. I'm feeling really lucky that no one in my family expects that, because I'd fall very short of their expectations.

Suja and Karen, I am curious about this housecoat.

We had a quiet weekend. Did stuff around the garden, trying to keep our momentum going after getting the grass in. There's so much left to do. DD1 is in finals week, and then she's out for the summer. She's decided to homeschool again next year, which I'm pretty happy about, so we're trying to get her schedule decided and find a good curriculum. I've been feeling a little under the weather for the last week or so. Getting my monthly blood check today or tomorrow, so maybe that will have a clue. I'm hoping that the new B12 supplementation I've been doing will show positive results on my counts.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

A housecoat is the same thing as a bathrobe, right?

My mother's birthday is Saturday, so I'm going up there to celebrate with her and then spending the night, and then going to my dad's house for a father's day "event". They invite my stepmom's side of the family which is huge, and they make pancakes, bacon, and mimosas. There are a lot of fathers on that side of the family!

G are you doing b12 pills? That is something I am on for life. I take a 2000 but many I know who had the surgery I did have to take shots as the pills don't absorb well enough. I was lucky and my levels always tested ok though it's been a few years since I had them done but I'm also almost 9 years post-op.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm running a stack of 5 projects right now, but I think I have the time to respond to aaaaallll of your posts (on this page anyway). And I think this is the appropriate response to each and every one of them:

I am so, so ready for summer to start for me. These last few weeks are just brutal and to be completely honest, my work this class has been mediocre at best and I am sure it is showing through in my grade. I am putting in as little effort as possible (er as little effort as I have) and just hoping to pass at this point. I suck

I think I have to come to terms iwth the fact that there is no way 32+week pregnant me can start full time classes in the fall. I just, despite my massive ego and unwillingness to do anything in an easy capacity, don't think I can do it. Sigh. It's really hard for me to come to terms with, admitting that I can't do something, it's like failure, but worse

Anyway, dropping to part time will mean a bit haveing to come from student loans, but at this point, I don't have many viable options.

I don't look at that a failure at all. I look at that as rearranging priorities. What good will you be to anyone if you stretch yourself to thin? Can't let pride get in the way of the well being of yourself and your family. You will get back to it, mama. Just take some time.

Myles, I always wish there was a "like" button for your posts.

Jennifer, yes, doing pills. I started about 6 weeks ago. My numbers have been low (in the 200s) for at least a couple of years, but initially my doctors rejected b12 as being the cause of my blood issues, despite an almost perfect symptom match, because I wasn't technically deficient (<200). But the specialist I saw at UCSF said he thought it could be possible, especially now that we've exhausted most of the other possibilities, so I started supplementing. I've been reading that in many other developed countries, the normal spectrum is more narrow and they've found clinical problems due to b12 insufficiency at higher levels than even 300-400, so it seems worth a try. I'm excited about the possibility, since if it works it means I can fix my problems with just a vitamin pill. Wouldn't that be great! I am trying not to get my hopes up too much, though, and since I've only been doing it for 6 weeks, my blood may not show a positive change quite yet even if it's working. Or I may need a higher dose, if it is an absorption problem at work. It's nice to have a direction to look, however -- especially a cause and treatment so benign.

I had read that gastric bypass patients often have vitamin absorption issues. I'm glad your levels have been ok and that the oral supp is working for you. Do you have to supplement other vitamins too?
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I don't look at that a failure at all. I look at that as rearranging priorities. What good will you be to anyone if you stretch yourself to thin? Can't let pride get in the way of the well being of yourself and your family. You will get back to it, mama. Just take some time.
    You are right (as always) B. We'll just add this (Weakness = Failure) to my long list of damaged line of thinking.

Christina...not like you are dropping out of college. Going part-time is still going! I did my entire grad degree part-time because I worked full-time and I didn't even have a toddler and pregnancy/new baby to consider. Part-time is still successful!

Ah so it's like TSH levels....a huge lab range of "normal" but the more they look into it and see the normal of the healthy population is much smaller.
    I had labs done a lot in the beginning and eventually every six months and later every year. Since I never had an issue, I haven't had those run in maybe 2 or 3 years because I have a very high deductible and those are out of pocket and not cheap. I assume a problem would have shown up by now. I am supposed to take a multi and did for many years but am lazy about that one now. I am good about taking the B12 since that is one the more serious ones. And I know I tested low for D so I take a 5000 of that. Higher than recommended but still low enough to be safe. Plus I'm awfully fair and live up north and do not spend much time outside even the few months the weather is nice for being outside.
    At this point, I eat very normal and try to get a varied diet with nutritional foods. One thing I do lack and thought about adding is fish oil. I do not eat fish.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I take fish oil and vitamin b and spirulina too, which is actually high in b vitamins so I've been wondering if I get too much since dbf told me that in increases appetite. I don't need that increased at all! lol