Page 1394 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3948941294134413841392139313941395139614041444 ... LastLast
Results 41,791 to 41,820 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I confess that had we had twins, we seriously were thinking of Frederick. Having a Freddie and Teddy. Or I liked Edward....Eddie and Teddy.

I have twins on my mom's side of the family so combining that with fertility drugs (especially since I do ovulate on my own)....we were at a higher risk for that.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 06-05-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer you crack me up! I am not, NOT a fan of nick names. At all. My new manager calls me Chris, it grates on my last nerve!

Nolan's middle name is Fredrick (family name from DH), but if someobdy call him Freddie I would have a cow

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    DH also calls me sunflower, honey-bear, schnookie, wifey-poo....or even mom (either as in Yes MOM when I'm nagging....or in talking to the dogs like where's mom, go find mom).
    Awwwwwwww...

Dh's mom is Freddie (Frederica) and dh's given name is Frederick, but in his family the tradition for boys is to go by the middle name, so he's never used it. One way I can tell if someone calling the house doesn't know him, or a piece of mail is junk, is if it's addressed to Frederick. I thought of Frederica as a middle name for Noe, but dh nixed it. We were going to do Tobias (Toby) if Noe was a boy. I like Jackson, but spelled Jaxon it reminds me of Sons of Anarchy. Owen is nice, but I think I'd twist my tongue around it with Nolan too.

We are pet-namers around here. My girls are "baby," but dh and I don't call each other that. We both go by hon or honey, so much so that it actually sounds weird if we use each other's given names. I only call him by his actual name if I'm trying to get his attention, and vice versa. But sometimes honey gets confusing, since we do call the girls that too, and often have to clarify when we both answer, "No, I meant Noe-honey, not mama-honey."
    I'm a big user of sweetie, sugar, darling, etc. for the girls as well, but not for anyone else.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I called Travis 'darling' the other day, and he said to me, "Are you the Fantastic Mr. Fox?" LOL. I do actually call the kids all sorts of sugary names like honey bun, sugar booger, sweety pie, etc but never DH....would be too sugary sweet for me.

I call JoJo all kinds of "sweet" names: lovey, darling, sugar, honey, sweetheart, dearest, my love, mi corazon, honeybun, sugarplum, sweetie, my darling. It's pretty sticky around here! My dh gets Chris-Darling or Chris-Honey.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Jenn, when I found out we were having twins we thought of a million funny names for them!

If the twins were girls they were going to be Evelyn Gail instead of Parker Raymond and Leilani Grace instead of Nathaniel Kenneth. Gail is my exes grandmother and Grace is my mom. Nathaniel's middle name was going to be my exes grandfathers middle name, Place, which I hated. But since my ex is gone I gave Parker my dads first name as a middle name and Nathaniel my dads middle name.

Cameron got her name in a silly way. My friend and I promised to name our kids after each other when we were in 1st grade. Instead of really doing that I used a name with the same first initial. I almost picked Constance, which I learned later is cams paternal grandmothers name, so I'm glad I didn't! But her middle name I just tried to think of a "middle name" name and Marie sounded good to me with Cameron. I always called her Cameron Marie, which she couldn't say so she told people her name was Cambarie. Lol!

You ladies are so sweet! I don't see that I've handled things well or with grace or anything. I just let him walk away and I'm trying to get through each day. Someone has to take care of the kids and be a grown up, if its not their dads it's gotta be me.

R - that's as graceful and grown-up as you can get. You have handled it beautifully, despite the obvious pain and difficulty.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

^^ Yes. Yes. What Katy said.

Bodhi is Monkeybug. And Bubby. DH mostly calls him Buddy or Mr. Man. When he was in my tummy and we didn't know if he was a boy or a girl, we called him "Rockstar". For his first birthday party, we turned our house into a makeshift recording studio and the theme was "Rockstar" and we were all cutting an album. We made the living room into a karaoke space and did a studio-style recording of people singing (thanks to DH's professional equipment). He was going to engineer it all and turn the raw footage into a CD, but that project never got done. Still, it's fun to listen to the 3+ hrs of recorded party.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Ditto to the others. It takes a lot of grace and courage to just pick up and go on with your life and take care of yourself and what is yours in the face of a lot of awfulness from life and from others. I admire that a great deal.

Christina, congratulations on your boy! I would also add a note of caution on similar-sounding names. I know that all kids' names get mixed up sometimes. Heck, sometimes a pet's name will cross our lips if we've just been talking to a cat and we have to turn abruptly and address a child. However, that is normal with a family that says the same names all the time to each other. With my two sons, I never thought about the fact that I would have two kids with a two-syllable name ending in EN (kind of like the Nolan and Owen situation). I just liked both of the names. And now, it's not just us that call them by the wrong names sometimes. Everyone does. The teachers. Friends. Grandparents. Other relatives. Each boy is called by his own name most of the name, and by his brother's name a good portion of the time in public. Luckily, our kids are fairly good-natured about it and certainly my oldest has skin so thick you could probably call him any number of names including not-so-nice ones and he wouldn't care that much. But I think they'll start caring more and more, and my youngest one is already starting to be bothered some.

Myles, that party idea sounds so cool!

All our names are interchangeable here, too. LOL

B starts off calling DH "mom" and me "dad" sometimes, so you often hearing him saying: "Dadmom?" or "Momdad?" to get our attention.

Mira is called Paru most often. And some derivatives of that. Today, she was listening to some song that had the word 'darling' in it, and asked me if she was a darling. I told her that she was my darling baby, and she promptly corrected me, saying that she was my darling BIG GIRL, not a darling baby.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaLamaMama View Post
    You ladies are so sweet! I don't see that I've handled things well or with grace or anything. I just let him walk away and I'm trying to get through each day. Someone has to take care of the kids and be a grown up, if its not their dads it's gotta be me.

I agree with the others. When I was your age, I couldn't really even take care of myself let alone think of trying to go through all you have!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My dad especially would call us a bunch of names....often went something like Brandy, Jax, Rox I mean Jennifer. Or some combo of that. LOL I do think it is harder when the names are actually close though. My parents have a Charlie and a Chewie and I almost always call the wrong name first.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

omfg am I ever glad today is over!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Jennifer you crack me up! I am not, NOT a fan of nick names. At all. My new manager calls me Chris, it grates on my last nerve!
    I hate being called Chris too.

I like either name Jennifer. Bobbie and Jesi were similar in that they both ended with the long e sound. It didn't bother us any and we went ahead and named Syd Sydney. She shortened it. I prefer Sydney.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I have bitten off more than I can chew with this project of mine. Operation move everyone around. I worked from waking this morning until karate at 4:30 and then again from dinner until bedtime (with millions of breaks to find out why Sawyer was screaming, mind you) and I only got Savana's room emptied and her corner set up downstairs. Tomorrow I have to do Kai's and set up Sawyer in his room. AND I got a text tonight from my friend who lives in AK and are in town visiting family that they want to come over around 10am. YAAAAAHHH. I'm so excited to see her but my house is tore.up.

Yikes, Bridge. Well, you are to be commended for your ambitions. It'll feel good once it's all done. The problem with a house project (for me anyway) is the number of distractions that can come up. I'll usually find something of nostalgic value, and then spend 40 minutes finding a separate piece that goes with it. You managed to stay away from us all day, though, so you got self-discipline. I mean, we're totally hard to resist.

Dude! You're making me tired, just thinking about it. I put up cling decals on the windows of Mira's room, "glowy" Mercury on the ceiling, and then ran out of gas for putting up the other planets and stars.

I forgot to tell you guys, but one of my nephews won the President's Award for Educational Excellence, second year in a row. He is *such* a mature kid. And in better news, his younger brother, who can't generally stand still long enough to pee, not only finished my Enid Blyton books in record time, he actually asked for books for his birthday. He got 4 or 5 from the Magic Schoolbus series.

My nephew Gavin thought his name was really Gavinator until he was about 6 or 7.

We use the shortened versions of our kids names a lot, Mace and Ash. I also call him Dash sometimes, from the incredibles because he does.not.stop.moving.
    AKA Lisa724

Kai doesn't like any nicknames at all. I used to call him Kind Sir but he asked me to stop. I call Savana lots of endearing terms and Sawyer as well. Dbf calls me baby sometimes but when he gets too mushy with the nicknames, I know he's had too much to drink and it grates on my nerves. When I was kid, I had unfortunate nicknames like Bridget the Midget and Birdsh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Christina, congratulations on your boy! I would also add a note of caution on similar-sounding names. I know that all kids' names get mixed up sometimes. Heck, sometimes a pet's name will cross our lips if we've just been talking to a cat and we have to turn abruptly and address a child. However, that is normal with a family that says the same names all the time to each other. With my two sons, I never thought about the fact that I would have two kids with a two-syllable name ending in EN (kind of like the Nolan and Owen situation). I just liked both of the names. And now, it's not just us that call them by the wrong names sometimes. Everyone does. The teachers. Friends. Grandparents. Other relatives. Each boy is called by his own name most of the name, and by his brother's name a good portion of the time in public. Luckily, our kids are fairly good-natured about it and certainly my oldest has skin so thick you could probably call him any number of names including not-so-nice ones and he wouldn't care that much. But I think they'll start caring more and more, and my youngest one is already starting to be bothered some.
    I didn't think about other people confusing their names. Especially with them both being boys and only being 2ish years apart. Hm....

I hate the whole name debate. It would be helpful if DH and I had similar tastes (on anything) but we don't. So, it is a whole lot of me suggesting names and him shooting them down I need to get him a baby name book (he refuses to use the app I downloaded on his phone for him) so that he can start coming up with suggestions.

I won't mind if you use the names dbf suggested. Maximillian. Huckleberry. Go ahead, they're yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I won't mind if you use the names dbf suggested. Maximillian. Huckleberry. Go ahead, they're yours.
    As generous as that is B, I believe I will have pass

ETA: Though Kai is on our middle name list, I mentioned it to DH one day, and he didn't hate it
    Last edited by Smplyme89; 06-06-2013 at 07:35 AM.

SIL wanted to name the poor kid Gatsby. It'll be totally unique, and nothing at all like Nolan.

Oh, and we may have sort of a solution for crazy hair day. The kid wants to wear her bunny ears. She's been dying to wear them to school. We may do a bunch of ponies and the bunny ears, but if we don't have time in the morning, at least it is weird enough headgear to work.

I think I saved the baby name lists we made, but I don't know where they are now. We had short, traditional names for boys like Logan, Liam (my mom convinced me we weren't Irish enough to use that), Joseph (which ended up being his middle name), Luke, Keith. DH likes really flowery girls names like Angelica. I can't remember any more off the top of my head but I used to call them "Southern belle names". I guess I prefer short names because our last name is so long. Julia ended up being our top girl name, which I still like a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    SIL wanted to name the poor kid Gatsby. It'll be totally unique, and nothing at all like Nolan.
    Gatsby

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    I think I saved the baby name lists we made, but I don't know where they are now. We had short, traditional names for boys like Logan, Liam (my mom convinced me we weren't Irish enough to use that), Joseph (which ended up being his middle name), Luke, Keith. DH likes really flowery girls names like Angelica. I can't remember any more off the top of my head but I used to call them "Southern belle names". I guess I prefer short names because our last name is so long. Julia ended up being our top girl name, which I still like a lot.
    I am a fan of shorter names, maybe cause my first name/maiden last name was 17 letters. Long and boring. I loved Liam, but DH didn't (of course)

Christina....what I did was actually print off the ss name list....all 1000 top names. I had DH go through and highlight those he liked and I did the same. And managed to find a few we both liked. Boy we were set on pretty long ago but girl we have changed a lot.
    He liked April, Autumn, Mallory, Vanessa, Cassandra, Katherine, Holly (well until we had a dog named Molly), Penelope, Rachel, Rebecca.
    I liked Juliet, Nicole, Stephanie, Victoria, Courtney, Vanessa, Cassandra, Holly, Phoebe, Amanda, Chelsea, Violet, Sydney.
    So we have a few in common and went from there. I think Cassandra is the winner because we nickname and Cassie is probably better than those for Vanessa.

B, I'm sure that your friend will not care the house is tore up! I mean people do projects and we all go through that.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36