Page 1386 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 3868861286133613761384138513861387138813961436 ... LastLast
Results 41,551 to 41,580 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Gretchen, thanks a lot! Now I have to get a Carl Sagan bumper sticker.

Chrissy, that reminds me of how when I used to work in an office. There was this one girl who was really immature and insanely jealous of me because I got along with everyone and am a fast learner, so people though highly of me and she was always trying to work her way up the ladder but she was not a very good "people person." Anyhow, I realized one day that she had put up a picture in her cubicle of her and me from an office party and had covered my face with a magnet! It stayed that way for weeks. Lol.

I hope you can sort the situation out with your coworker. What a petty thing for him to do.

I've just gotten home from taking Cash to the gp about his eyes. He's started squinting like Travis used to so before getting glasses. The doctor has referred us to the hospital for a proper eye test.

Gretchen, those bumper stickers are great!

Good luck with the eye test Ash

I am in love with all of those bumper stickers.

I'm sorry to have been absent the last couple of days. I've been responding to some responses to job inquiries. There's lots to respond to in here and lots of hugs to dispense.

Here's a quick drive-by hug for all my amazing friends, though:

Hope to be able to chat soon!

Yay to job inquiry responses, Myles. I hope you find something perfect!

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Good luck to you, Myles!

Claire said something inadvertently hilarious last night.
    Claire gave me a hug and said, "You're the best Mommy ever--all the kids say that."
    I paused for a moment and said, "Really?"

I said again, "They ALL say that?" I pictured all of her friends at kindergarten and shook my head.

She looked at me and said, "Well, don't all the kids tell their moms that they're the best Mommy ever?"

I swear she didn't do it on purpose.

too funny L!

Oh that is awesome! So clever.

LOL!

You can tell her that mine tells me that I'm not her best friend anymore every time she is upset with me.

Kate, the picture is precious!! Love it.

Mandy, that is SO true... Good story. I mean, I have an easy, amazing kid, and sometimes I start to think I'm just the world's best mom. And then SHE totally humbles me and brings me back to reality. Sometimes I think about watching another kid, just so she has a friend to play with (like sharing onlies with Gretchen!), but then I think, man, I am SO spoiled, I'm not sure I could handle it! Maybe that's why I can't have a second kid, hah.

Chrissy, say what?? If it wasn't for the fact that you could get in trouble for it, I wouldn't think too much of the cross, but that's just me. But then add in the whole "saving" thing, and UGH. Some people are ridiculous. That's why I LOVE those bumper stickers, haha. You should totally hang a few of those up!

Gretchen, I hadn't thought of that. But you're right. I'm so mad at what fate seems to be telling me, that I know I would have a really, really hard time if those feelings were focused on my husband... Big hugs...

Bridget, thanks for asking! She is doing better today. Still a little sick and a bit cranky, but really, not bad. Her runny nose is gone, and though occassionally she has a minor cough, I think we're good to go. Phew! Yay for shoving nothing but a ton of healthy food in her. I am so lucky I have a kid who will eat just about anything! Even when she wanted junk, I reminded her that she is trying to fight the germs so she will be healthy enough to go camping, and she turned down a cookie!

Well, I am glad you're happy! I understand how he can be so frustrating and you can still love him. Sometimes I feel like all I do on here is whine about my husband, but like with you guys, he is a good guy and I do love him. And I am glad you are so happy with your life!

Keep us updated on the eye test, Ash! Hope everything is good, whether that means glasses or no.

Oh, Myles, so exciting about the jobs. Good luck!!!

L, C cracks me up!

Everyone have a happy Memorial Day weekend!

Ready for an annoying dad update?

I found out, from my mom who heard from my brother (uhh I know), that apparently my dad took off to TN to 'look for a job' because he wrecked his truck (and I am assuming lost the job that he had here, but I don't know for sure). So hubs and I just left it alone. I wasn't chasing him down and dealing with my family in TN, that I don't even like, just to check up on him. Well today, DH gets a call, from my dad saying he needs a ride from a bus station. Seriously?? You take off to TN without saying anything and you call up after 9 o'clock on a Sunday night needing a ride, really??

I am so, so furious right now. He didn't even bother to call me, he called my husband directly because he KNOWS DH is so dang soft-hearted and would drive to go get him. Me on the other hand? I would've told him he better start walking and he knows it.

Between this and my brother calling my phone at almost midnight Friday night, leaving me a drunk message that I could not interpret (oh and is he lucky it didn't wake me up, I called him the next day and told him as much), and than of course my mom and her 'I can't believe your going to cancel my insurance' after I've been paying it for a year, I am just over it. People wonder why I alienate myself from my family?!?!

Please tell me, WHO IS THE ADULT HERE? DH keeps saying 'but they're your parents' and I love him and his big ole heart, but the logic that because you have birth to me, gave me a ****ty childhood, and than landed me with literally no place to go at 18 after DH and I had been paying YOUR way (I don't think I've told ya'll that story, fun stuff) somehow equals that I keep having to 'give give give' for the remainder of my adulthood. No. Forgive me if me and my b*tchy self disagrees.

Anyway, sorry. Crazy hormonal ranting pregnant lady is moving on now....

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

On the upside, tomorrow is DH and I's 6 year wedding anniversary! Making 9 years that we've been together!

Today started off crappy with me having a hormonal break down and spending a couple hours of me not talking to DH and him not talking to me because every time he did I freaked out. I had every right to be legitimately irritated with him, but I am having a hard time drawing the line between irritated and crazy lady p*ssed off lately. Hormones are fun

We'll be keeping it simple, I don't have the energy to do much here lately. So we're just going to go see a movie and probably go eat or something. Just a few hours hanging out just me and him, so it'll be nice regardless of what we are doing

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Happy anniversary I'm sorry you were at odds with him today but I totally understand with you being pregnant and all!

Sorry about your issues with your dad

Christina. Sorry for all the drama.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I found out today that my ex is even more disgusting than I thought. After being engaged to someone else after we has been together almost 6 years and lying to me the entire pregnancy and then choosing to be with her and marrying her a week after my due date they have moved back to his hometown. Which is fine. I don't care about that, I'm glad there are hundreds of miles between us. Now his wife is pregnant.

Why do I know this? Good question! People in my life, particularly a friends mother. Stalk him and his wife on fb and text me updates. Even though I have asked for it to stop. This person even went as far as to comment on his wife's page telling her off and going on about what my ex did to me while I was pregnant.

It wasn't enough that he hurt me by walking away from me, and my daughter who he raised with me from a baby and then our sons. I alone dealt with the death of Nathaniel and everything that came with it. I was alone every day for the 5 weeks that Parker was in the nicu. I'm alone everyday taking care of the kids. After just over a year they are married and having a baby and after 6 years I'm alone, caring for two kids and grieving for another. I have never been so hurt in my life. I hate them both so much. I hate anyone who tells me what they are doing. I just want to forget about them. And now I want to forget she is pregnant.

Christina, I wish I had some wise words for you regarding the family. I know that your own little family unit is a strong one, so you'll be ok no matter what happens with the rest of them. My own extended family is full of drama, so it's nice to live so far away some times.

I do miss my parents, though. They keep out of the drama most of the time. I wish I could fly back there this week. My dad's best friend died of a heart attack a few days ago. He was a very close family friend. He had been poorly for about a year and only just recently retired at 77 years old. I will send a sympathy card but wish I could do more.

Rachael, gosh that must sting that he just moved on just like that. You are a strong woman to have come through all that you have. Keep your head up. Your beautiful children will look up to you for being so strong. As for the person constantly updating you on the ex, I think I would have to tell them to stop or all contact would have to be stopped as it's causing you too much sorrow to keep hearing what he's doing.

Racheal, I will admit that I didn't know the details of your story, only that you were going it alone. I am so sorry you have been through to so much and you must be incredibly strong to keep on truckin on. Your kids are so lucky to have you. I agree with Ash that whomever is giving you these updates needs a firm ultimatum. Don't they know how toxic it is for you to have to think about his life? Not healthy for you as you recover from the damage he had done to you. I'm so sorry.

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Oh no, R, you can block that person who is texting you the updates if she won't listen to you. You don't need any pot-stirrers around to stop you from finding some peace in your life. That news must hurt so much. I'm so sorry.

Christina, I hope you had a good anniversary, and I'm sorry you are dealing with misbehaving parents (so much worse than misbehaving kids, because they're adults and somehow you'd think they should know better). Ash said it very well. It is great that you have developed a stable family unit that is your own place of security and love and that your own children will be able to grow up in.

We saw that the weather was going to be on the nice side today (read that as not raining!), so we planned on going over to the Yorkshire Dales to an American Diner that does great burgers and ice cream. It was a bit cool here but the sun was shining. We got in the car and drove the hour-long drive to the place only to be told that there was a 2.5 hour wait for food and the weather was overcast and cold! The kids were fine because I packed them hoodies, but I hadn't brought a coat and Rich had shorts on! We ended up driving the scenic route home and found a proper old country pub and had some dinner there.

When we got home, the boys did a lot of bickering and fighting, which really seemed to wear Rich down, so he shouted at them and sent them to bed early. I felt it was too harsh a punishment and told him so afterwards. He apologised and said he'd make it up to the boys tomorrow, but it has left me in a bad mood. He went out to play 5-a-side soccer with the other dads from Trav's school and I'm glad he's out of the house for a bit. He made a sarcastic remark to me about hanging a towel on the heated towel rail in the bathroom instead of hanging it on a door as well and I told him that if the kids weren't around at that time I would have told him to bugger off but in not so nice a way.

I think I'll go find something to eat because my blood sugar must be low with me feeling this bah-humbuggish!

Not cool. Sorry you had a rough patch with the dh Ash. It seems unusual for you two.

My weekend with John was great. We went out to see a friend's band and surprised my former (John's current) coworkers. We knew one would be there, but another also happened to stop in. It was wonderful to see those two. I miss them dearly. I'm not sure if they 'know' what's going on because we didn't make it this big thing, but I'm also thinking seeing the two of us out and about at a bar where he's buying my drinks all night tells the story.

I met his brother who greeted me with a big hug & kiss. I adore him already. We spent most the weekend chilling around the house (only today was nice enough to sit outside, unfortunately) and talked our heads off. Both deep stuff and inconsequential funny stuff. He made me laugh so hard I nearly peed my pant. It's something I'm prone to do, but I really have to laugh hard. It's been years since I've had that close of a call.

Last night I was laying in bed and he sat at the foot of it playing his guitar. I knew he played, but it was the first time I've heard him. I laid there thinking if it were possible, I think I love him more.

He really spoiled me. I was lazy-he cooked and cleaned and bought everything. We drove me around a bit and showed off his little town, and we stopped for lunch in Watkins Glen (where the nascar races are held-he lives in that vicinity). I left knowing we're most definitely on 'the same page' and I love him an awful lot. Outside of my kids, he's easily one of the most important people to me in my life. And I did tell him so.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Yeah, we rarely bicker at all, so when it happens it sometimes feels like we (well, more like I) blow it out of proportion. As a result of sending them to bed early, Cash was up just before 6 am. Yawn.

Chrissy, your weekend sounds lovely! I'm so happy to hear such a positive news from you. I smiled at the guitar-playing part. I love when Rich picks at his guitar. There's something intimate when there's just 2 of you and a strumming of guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Yeah, we rarely bicker at all, so when it happens it sometimes feels like we (well, more like I) blow it out of proportion. As a result of sending them to bed early, Cash was up just before 6 am. Yawn.

Chrissy, your weekend sounds lovely! I'm so happy to hear such a positive news from you. I smiled at the guitar-playing part. I love when Rich picks at his guitar. There's something intimate when there's just 2 of you and a strumming of guitar.
    That makes sense. It's probably more upsetting to you just because it's so unusual.

And yeah, I was definitely laying there falling deeper in love. I didn't say that though. I didn't want to ruin the moment by speaking.

Happy Anniversary Christina!

Chrissy that sounds like a great weekend. I wish my DH played guitar...we have one and he made up a song on it for me once but he doesn't really know how to play it and it's really out of tune now.

Ok so I have the dog question of the day....do dogs get leg cramps? Cosmo did this twice recently...Thursday and Saturday nights where she was stretching....she is normally a champion stretcher....and started holding her front leg up funny and cried a bit. I ran over and picked her up and massaged her and kissed her head and a few minutes later she could walk but limped a bit. Another hour later and she was fine. It seems to be more up near her shoulder and not the foot. She is not a drama queen like Molly so I know that if she whined about it hurting, that it hurt her. I'm thinking maybe a cramp or a locking of a joint? It is the same arm where she has a decent sized fatty lipoma on the arm right at the pit area.
    I noticed this morning that it looked like she was being a little more careful in her stretching of that leg.

Of course we are going to be taking her to the vet to talk about this and see if we should get this lipoma removed. I do think it bugs her sometimes but not sure if the removal is worse than just letting it be? Sometimes when sitting she will adjust that leg a few times lifting it up and down and it's like she's getting the lipoma into a better position.
    She is due for a dental cleaning so we will be doing bloodwork and she will be under anesthesia anyway. And she is due for shots and they want to do a yearly eye exam before renewing her eye drops.
    Cosmo will be 10 this year but for a dog her size, it's not unreasonable to think she could have another 5 years left.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Happy Anniversary, Christina!

Jennifer, dogs can get strains and sprains and have temporary issues like that for sure. As long as she is having bloodwork done, you may well do a lyme test/tick panel, and get her joints x-rayed. She might be developing a touch of arthritis, for instance.

I read everything else, but can't remember any of it for now. Except for remembering that I wanted to comment on other stuff. Growing old sucks, I tell ya.

Oh I didn't think of an x-ray. I always think of arthritis in dogs in the back legs and hips. I know she is more stiff than she used to be. A while ago...maybe over the fall or winter I don't remember when, she did hurt her leg jumping on the bed but I cannot recall if it was this one or not. I am leaning strongly towards it was the same leg.
    Don't think it would be lyme...she's gotten the lyme vac yearly since we move to the northwoods area because it is so common here. She did have a tick attached to her head in Nov. but I don't think it was attached long enough to transmit disease and she's not had the symptoms for ehrlichiosis (one of the other tick diseases common in my area).

I do worry about her joints though because she's been overweight for the past 2-3 years. Started after she was put on seizure meds and in a year pretty much went from 22-33 lbs. And that was with us trying to get her to exercise and keeping her food very controlled. In December we realized her thyroid was off and she got on thyroid meds. She has lost some weight but not sure how much....but everyone can see it. Only bad part is she has a lot more energy now and I think once in a while forgets she is almost 10 and not 5.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Hope you all had a decent holiday yesterday. We finally planted the grass after DH put off sod cutting on Friday evening and so we did everything - cut sod, rolled up sod (a whole butt load of work I tell you!), fertilized dirt, tilled dirt (luckily a friend came by who wanted to "show us how to do it right" and so we let him) planted grass, put hay down, and figured how to set automatic sprinkler system - on Saturday so I am beat!!! Now I only have to re-do my flower beds and make a new one, I enlarged one so that we wouldn't have to plant as much grass. DH has been pretty chill since I was about to punch him in the face. He also started some counseling and has been better over the last two months, hasn't said anything demeaning or disrespectful IMO to Ky. He knows I will punch him in the face if he does, and sorry if it offends, but I really will because I feel when he said the things he was saying it was like him punching Ky in the stomach so now he knows he will face similar feelings if it comes to that again. Sorry, would hit "enter" here but the breakroom computer here at work has a jacked up keyboard and neither one off the "enter" keys work for some reason. But speaking of Ky, he graduated from 5th grade last week. I cannot believe he is a middle schooler now! He is now 5'3" and 115lbs so is pretty big for an 11 year old. I have been speaking to him about staying motivated to do tasks, especially school work or chores he doesn't want to do and asked him what would be a big motivating factor for him and it was too funny to me that he piped up immediately "FOOD!" So now I am afraid of the soon to be teenage boy appetite invading my house.

Ahhhh! Ky is the same size as me! Crazy. I am glad to hear that dh has been better. I have been wondering how you guys are doing.

Chrissy, what a nice weekend!

Erin, so glad things have been going well for you and your dh. Congrats on having a middle schooler! That lawn sounds like a ton of work! We have been doing the same but in smaller increments - tilled one weekend, trenched one weekend, took us a couple of weeks to get the sprinklers in. This weekend we laid sod. Dh's back and arms have been out of whack lately so he rolled out and placed the sod while I carted it in -- 5 rolls of sod at a time, 40 lbs each, that I threw on the handtruck, carted to the backyard (Noe riding on top), and put out on the dirt in the right spots. 50 rolls in all -- hard work, but I was pretty pleased that my fitness level was up to it. I wasn't even sore the next day. Our next door neighbor made a little joke about how it was funny that my dh, who is 6'4"/220, was rolling out the sod while I, a foot shorter and 100 lbs lighter, hauled it all. But after having a sort of frustrating relationship with my health over the past year, it feels great to me to be able to do hard physical labor.

My parents came into town too over the weekend and we ran around looking at houses and boats. They are looking to buy in a 55+ community when my dad retires next year ... they've been looking all over the country, but now they're excited about a place an hour away from us, which makes me happy because I was concerned about them growing older in a place where I wouldn't be able to help care for them if they needed it. I hope it works out for them.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

All that yard work!! My goodness, it sounds like hell to me. I'm sure your lawns look lovely, while mine...meh, I have no delusions I'll ever have anyone covet my yard.

Erin, I'm so glad dh is being kinder to Ky in his speech. I don't think some people (especially men) realize how some things can just 'stick' and cause psychological harm.