Page 1382 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 38288212821332137213801381138213831384139214321482 ... LastLast
Results 41,431 to 41,460 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

My husband usually plows through it pretty well when he's sick, so if he's complaining or taking a nap you know it's pretty bad. He used to get awful sinus infections and then he stopped drinking Diet Coke and they went away.

I just got a major case of deja vu. Have I told you guys that story about the diet coke before?

LOL about the third leg.

When I first started working for my current employer, my first assignment was in a K-8 school and all the kids on my caseload had an Autism diagnosis. Let me tell you, middle schoolers on the autism spectrum are a trip! I had a set of identical twins, both with autism, one more severe than the other. They were 13 and really into drawing and would draw these superhero-type characters. It took me a month or two to figure out why all of the guys they drew had three legs. Three, equally long legs, all drawn with the same color crayon. But yes, they boys were coming of age and just trying to figure out a few things, and having autism they didn't ask questions.

I may or may not have mentioned before, but these were also the young men who needed to be directed to the bathroom at the appropriate moments. Rather than exploring the joys of being a middle schooler while buried in the woodchips next to the playground equipment. One of the reasons the jury is out for me as far as having K-8 on one campus! LOL.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Kate, I want to hear the diet coke story!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

"Mom, what can I do?"

"Maybe you should write the next great American novel."

"What's a novel?"

"It's like a long chapter book."

"Oh! I guess I'll go write a book!!!!"

I'll let you know what she comes back with. The other day, out of the blue, she built a house made of paper, with a green lawn and a little paper couch and a paper rug and chair and a paper tv inside of it, a paper chimney on the roof, and a couple of plants on the lawn. I took a picture through the door, but it couldn't really capture it. The twins are really loving their after-school origami classes much more than their after-school Spanish classes, although they are using up the paper and tape at an alarming rate.

The twins' teacher has proposed that they be separated next year, with R. in a class with a male teacher who has a strong background in math and science and who tends to be understanding of boys who have a lot of energy. She has also suggested that C. could be considered for a new class they're starting, with combined 1st and 2nd grades. DH and I have been discussing this, and we think we can do it with both of them feeling okay about it emotionally, and we think it would probably be good for both of them. They are not dependent on each other, and they feel fine about being in separate classes. Our only twinge is that C. might be getting farther ahead, and her natural advantages are setting her up to get more advantages as time goes on, which might emphasize any scholastic or achievement differences, but we're pretty good about playing up the positives of any situation and emphasizing fair but not equal for everything. Still, we wouldn't want to hold her back. I have a feeling both of them are going to be bored in class in their own ways, and she will be challenged more in the class with 2nd graders and will become even more socially adept.

My first grade school was K-12. I learned how to interact really well with people of different ages and I also became the ringleader of a small gang of 2nd-grade thieves who would steal winter hats and gloves from the high school students and play keep-away from them.

And now to present The Great American Novel, or as she said, "No, is not a novel, it's just one story!"

(spelling changed to make it more legible for your reading pleasure, but otherwise the pages were taped together, best-guess spelling was applied, and illustrations and plot and words done entirely, slapdash fashion, by Claire)

A Book of 1 Story

Contents

1. The Whirligig Beetles

Once upon a time there was some whirligig beetles. They spun a lot.

(pictures of beetles)

They saw a girl and married her.

About the author next page.

Claire was 5 when she wrote this book.
    ETA: This all happened (the story, that is) from the beginning to the end of when I sat down to write this post. It is great that I can give them ideas to run with, and they can go and do something on their own and present me with something cool at the end of it. A lot of times they can come up with better ideas on their own. And sometimes, of course, it's never-ending screaming at me or at each other from dawn til dusk. But I love this, and I honestly thought the day would never come. Having 3 kids makes it so I still rarely get a moment to breathe because if one person is content someone else is bored or needs something, but there are moments here and there when I can give them a suggestion of something to do and they will be off and running with it. When they were little, and clawing at me to return whenever I stepped more than a foot away, it never seemed possible.

Tell Claire I really enjoyed her Great American Short Story, and look forward to further adventures. What happened when the Beetle and the girl were married? Sounds like a good plot conflict. (Resisting temptation to make a reference to Yoko Ono but managing, barely, to suppress it).

I think the different classes sound like perfect matches for the two of them. I certainly wouldn't want to hold Claire back in any way. We all have different things we are good at and those should be celebrated. I think equality can very well be achieved by giving each person separately what they need. My sister was good at drawing, so she got art lessons, but they would have been wasted on me. I liked music, so I did that instead (well, so did she ... and she also liked writing and foreign languages ... wait, what is it that I'm good at that she isn't? Ummm...speech therapy, I guess, although I have no doubt in my mind she'd be good at that too if she set her mind to it. So I'm not sure what the point of this rambling was, other than to say that we both got what we needed. And even though she was better at school and more talented than I am, I still am the one with the graduate degree).

ETA: I know! I can sing, and she can't. So there.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 05-20-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Why am I SO FREAKING TIRED all day at work, but when I'm home at night I'm wound for sound? Ugh.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

That's a very nice story. So, did all the beetles marry just the one girl? That sounds illegal. Don't tell her I said that, though.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

She has just barely realized she will not be able marry me someday and I still don't know if she believes me. Even so, so many fairy tales have bizarre matches that I'm sure it's difficult to assess what is culturally and legally allowed in marriage nowadays. Think Beauty and the Beast. The Frog Prince. Snow White and her crew. The time I kissed a slug. Swan Lake. The Nutcracker.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 05-20-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Typed on my phone, corrected spelling of "assess"

Oh, the beetle-girl thing is cool! The many beetles to one girl thing, you don't find many places. I do know it exists in Hindu mythology, so maybe that's the context for the marriage. It's pretty neat that she is eager to write her own "one story"; not sure if that's the sort of thing your average kid C's age would even attempt.

I have a feeling it was just a very hurried attempt at a story. She writes a lot of stories and many of them have better plots than this. This was a combination of two major themes of fairytales and children's stories, with the animal story and of the happily-ever-after ending with marriage. She has already realized that a lot of stories already end with the girl getting married (this is a little annoying to me) and that this is the expected and hoped-for-ending. So we can be going along with a story about a ladybug who is lost, or looking for some friends, or a koala who is hungry and looking for some leaves (she already knows that an effective story has a beginning, a middle, and an end, and some sort of conflict that is resolved) and then all of a sudden for no reason at all that ladybug will find her way home and get married. Or the koala will decide he's not hungry anymore and get married. The end. It's like she gets tired of telling the story and marriage is the way to end it. In the whirligig beetle story, she completely forgot about the conflict and the resolution and the middle, and just had the beginning and the end.

L, maybe you could ask a few "what if" questions to plant the idea that marriage isn't the end of the story and things actually happen after the wedding (not those things, if you don't want, just things). I agree that isn't the greatest message to send - but on the bright side she's well ahead of the curve if she can create all those elements already!

L, I don't think Ronin has to know about the advantages of being in Claire's position. I'm not so sure at his age that he'd recognize them without some adults intonating them through language slips like "Claire gets to be in class with 1st and 2nd graders." or something like. You're very good at being matter of fact with your kids, so I'm sure you'll present the situation to them in the least upsetting way.

I want to hear that story of the diet coke, too!

Chrissy, that is just like me. Can barely keep my eyes open all day, but once the sun sets, I am wide awake... I'm starting to excerise right after putting Maiya to bed, and then letting my body wind down for an hour or two before going to bed. Seems to sort of help a little...

L, tell C I love that story! Though I would be irritated too if everything ended with marriage... Maiya loves telling stories, but they all involve animals right now, and animal-related things. Finding food (which means figuring out who to eat- we don't eat friends or anyone we love!) or saving animals in trouble... Of course, there is no real beginning, middle, or end, it's just kind of a long series of rambles... Maybe next time you guys tell stories, start with a wedding?

I think that's great that they both will have options of a classroom that is suited to their own abilities! Ronin will excel with a teacher like that, we all know his math and science skills blow his peers out of the water. And the challenge will be good for Claire, too, with the older kids. And, as you said, you guys are great at "fair, even if not equal". They'll do great! Though I can't believe they're getting ready for 1st grade...

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Chrissy, that is just like me. Can barely keep my eyes open all day, but once the sun sets, I am wide awake... I'm starting to excerise right after putting Maiya to bed, and then letting my body wind down for an hour or two before going to bed. Seems to sort of help a little...
    Now that I'm back from vacation, I really should start running again. It's been a crazy week though. Last night I had to go home and rearrange my living room. My apartment was hot (2nd floor of an old house) and the only window where the AC unit can be put in was blocked by the couch. I got my workout!

L, C's story was cute. The proposed classes sound perfect for what your kids need.

I could fall asleep in the middle of the day, at night, in the car. I have always been able to sleep like a champ.

L, love the story. I know what you mean, too, about the kids doing their own thing. On the days when Sawyer naps and Savana and Kai are totally immersed in what they are doing, I actually feel giddy with the prospect of all the things I could do! Although, I usually just end up folding the laundry or something! Lol, I am a wild one.

I’ll have to say that while DH will complain to the heavens when he gets a cold, he is pretty resilient when it comes to hurting himself on a physical level. The man has busted more fingers than I can remember at this time. A couple years ago he got one stuck in the stucco mixer at work and basically ripped off a huge chunk out of the tip of his finger.

I’ve never heard not to give dogs onion or garlic We have always given our dogs leftovers, but at the same time we’ve almost always had bigger dogs, so maybe that’s why it has been a non issue

L, I think the separate classes sound fantastic. Every kid has a different skill set and there is nothing wrong with that. Also Cs story was fantastic! Reminds me of the little stories I used to make up when I was a kid.

I have failed at keeping up with my daily exercising. Last week I was on closing so we didn’t get home til 7:30 everyday and than we were supposed to go walking at the park yesterday…. and it stormed like crazy. Hopefully today is better, but they are saying 30-40% all week: pokey:

It seems unless I get 12hrs of sleep I am flat out exhausted and since 12hrs of sleep is not going to happen…. Looks like I am to just stay exhausted!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Oh, and the cynical side of me wants to say that marriage - in a lot of ways - is the hasty end of our stories. Ha! So never let it be said that Claire is not perceptive.

Life was far simpler for me, at least, when I was unmarried. My life was uncluttered, no one depended on me, and I could do whatever I wanted. I think that's why, when I get the chance to hop behind the wheel for a long-ish solo road trip, it feels so great to me. Because I get to tap back into the 'me' of those days. I felt that way driving between San Diego & LA a couple weekends ago. While I was single though, I felt like so much of my time was spent focused on not being single anymore. I went on innumerable dates. I got jaded on men for awhile, decided to put my energy into something different, so I bought the duplex house (two standalone houses on one lot) to occupy my time. (My dating profile was left Active online, but unwatched.) That's when the universe brought Steve to me. I feel like it was the fact that I wasn't being man-centric that attracted my match to me. that said, I didn't know it at the time. Fun factoid: both my realtor and mortgage broker were men I'd dated. I joke that before Match.com brought me my hubby, it brought me my real estate team.

In other news, DH's biggest client gave us a Silver Pass to Disney Parks, which entitles us entrance to any of their parks, including Tokyo, twice this year. So we'll at least be making the trek down to LA so Bodhi can experience Disneyland for himself. It's not something we'd normally spend our hard-earned ducats on (that place is pricey, yo!). It kind of offends me that I remember when it was just $13 for me to get in and now you have to take out a second mortgage to afford entry. But now that we have the free passes, heck yeah, we're going.

Kate, Diet Coke story, please. I hope it's another food mishap story. I almost live for those.
    Last edited by demigraf; 05-21-2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: because there's always more

Oh no, I just meant as I was typing that DH's sinus problems went away when he stopped drinking diet coke, I got the strange feeling that I had told you guys that before.

Oh, I believe it. Diet Coke be the deliciously artificially sweetened debil!

I am a recovering diet coke addict. It's been 8 days and the cravings are slowly going away. UGH.
    AKA Lisa724

That is funny that you thought life was simpler when single. I have had the opposite experience. Course I went from being a high school student to being with DH. I was only 19 when we hooked up....actually yesterday it was 15 years that we have been together. Once we were official, we have mostly been together except when at work or school. We were lucky in the early years that gas was only like .97 a gallon since we lived an hour apart and used to drive it a few times a week. We mostly enjoy a lot of the same things and the few don't, can be done usually at home so we are in the house together. I will say too that we both generally get to do what we want....he will chill out at the store if I'm trying on clothes and will say if something is good or not. I will go to train museums and such even though they are a bit boring to me.

Umm yeah on vacation we both realized we had a headache.....and that was the day we ran out of diet mt dew so hadn't had any. Soon as we both a pop from a vending machine, headache gone. Plus I usually drink coffee in the am but don't like how my MIL makes it so I wasn't drinking that all week. I went without pop at all for 18 months after my surgery (very tiny tummy pouch and carbonation equals pain) and regret so much getting back into it. We talk about trying to get off it again but I keep giving in.

I was pretty disgusted at my sisters b-day party....one of her gf's relatives has a 13 month old (really cute because he was walking/running and chasing Molly and Molly was scared of him once she realized he could move LOL).....but anyway, his parents were feeding him doritios. Ok so now I like a doritio myself but that is NOT something I would give to a baby for cripes sake. Of course he didn't want to eat anything else after that.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Hey Suja....do you know if the hemolytic anemia would show up in normal blood tests? I don't use tons of onion and garlic in my cooking but do some....really heavy dishes I don't give Cosmo. But say something like ragu spaghetti sauce she gets. Generally she gets about 1/4 people food at dinner so I can get her medicines in her. Last weight was 33 lbs but I think she might be more like 30 now. I have not seen any signs of it being a problem. She gets bloodwork done every year because she gets her teeth cleaned yearly and before they do that, I have them run all the bloodwork they recommend.....last year she started getting the senior panel. I am thinking that anemia would be a pretty common one to look for before anesthesia?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

HOLY MOLY LADIES!! I havent been on APA in FOREVERRRRR!! Hi howareya!?!

**Lizzo**

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    I am a recovering diet coke addict. It's been 8 days and the cravings are slowly going away. UGH.
    Me too. I still let myself have about a diet coke a week. That's my husband's rebuttal if I ever get on his case about something related to his nutrition. He'll say "You're still drinking diet coke!". Sparkling water has been my decent substitute. Sometimes I add juice or honey to it. Also kombucha or kefir sparkly drinks hit the spot, but I killed all my own cultures so I've been buying the expensive stuff. My friend just gave me another kombucha starter, so I should get back to making it again.

Hi, Lizzo/Inca!!

My sys admin is off unexpectedly for 2 weeks on disability. SCCM went down & it's up to me (ha!) to troubleshoot it. Me with my whopping 3 day training...which didn't touch on troubleshooting at all. Goodnight.

And I'll just say, I'm so glad I never took a liking to soda. Not even as a child.

I didn't find geting married to complicate things in my life at all. If anything DH made my life simpler. We have a really independent relationship though and nothing really changed from dating - to marriage for us. If I had wanted to take off on vacation without him, no big whoop. Now, kids + husband, that complicated things. Everything we plan, we plan as a family. Though, if I didn't have to deal with school and what not (and of course my own issues leaving Nolan) DH would have *no* problem with me taking off on my own.

Caffeine is addictive. I am a hard core coffee addict. I gave that up when I got pregnant though. Coffee, soda, MY TEA, Sigh I still sneak a small coffee or glass of tea here and there, but on a daily basis it is water and milk. Oh joy. I swore I'd do everything in my power to keep my blood pressure under control, even if it sucks... big ones Seriously most days I feel without any caffeine!

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    holy moly ladies!! I havent been on apa in foreverrrrr!! Hi howareya!?!
    hey you! :d

My marriage was great till alcohol made it a 3-some.

I love coffee. I drink 5-8 cups a day. That's my vice. But I drink it black, so at 5 calories a cup it's a non-issue imo.

Welcome back Lizzo

I drank a lot of soda in my 20's but I don't really like it anymore, unless it's a fountain drink which is nice and bubbly. DH drinks regular coke now but not as much as he used to either.