Page 1372 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 37287212721322136213701371137213731374138214221472 ... LastLast
Results 41,131 to 41,160 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Travis has had a great birthday today. He was chuffed to bits with his presents. He has his first swimming lesson tomorrow and is so excited about that as well. All is well over in this corner of the world right now. Oh, well, except for Cash turning in to a little demon. Terrible 2's are in full force; his favorite phrase right now is, "No, mummy, Nooooooo!"
    I saw him with his stuffs!! Adorable

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

As a young kid, I didn't sleep. I was (and am) a night owl, and no matter what my mom did, would fall asleep late in the day, wake up even later, and then be up really late into the night. That all got fixed when I started school, so I'd sleep just fine, and of course, there was a fight about waking up. Used to sleep like a log straight through young adulthood, although somewhere along the way, it became harder and harder to fall asleep, and I would also tell myself stories to get myself to relax and fall asleep. The, I got a dog. I would wake up a little every time he moved. Then another dog. Then a kid who won't sleep. She has fixed my falling asleep problem, in that I'm so exhausted from not sleeping for 3 years that I can fall asleep at a moment's notice, but if I end up staying past a certain time (like 9:00), I still can't fall asleep until late at night. Anyway, that's more than you ever wanted to know about my sleep issues.

Myles, good luck with the new (old) job! Hope you can agree on the rates.

You know what my husband brought home for the child from his travels? A spin drum! He conveniently has one ear he can't pop and therefore not hear out of too well.

Ash, you really iron t-shirts? I'm in the no-ironing camp. Oh, once a month or so I iron a few of dh's buttondown shirts if they got wonky in the dryer, and I iron my fabric before I sew it, but that's about all.

We had a rough morning. DD1, getting ready for school, ran into her room for her shoes and slipped on our hard concrete floor in her socks. She fell so hard she fractured her tailbone. She was sobbing in pain and couldn't move. She was also in shock, shaking and her pelvis was numb. I called the advice nurse, who called the ER doc, who told us to call the paramedics to bring her in in case her spine was injured. So we had the excitement of fire trucks and ambulance at our house at 8 a.m. Noe, who wants to be a firefighter when she grows up, was very excited, but also very worried about DD. We spent 6 hours in the ER, most of it waiting around and getting pain meds. They told her not to eat or drink anything in case she needed surgery, and then it was noon before they tried to get her up to see if she could walk with a walker. When she stood up, she almost passed out and her blood pressure went down to 60/40. They had given her narcotics on an empty stomach. So then we spent another hour so she could eat, rest and get her BP back up. Finally we came home. The last hour was pretty funny as she laid in the bed eating a sandwich... the pain meds she was on made her loopy and talkative. She was cracking me up.
    Anyway, she's home now and feeling pretty good on the drugs. She'll be off school for a few days until she can walk ok or can handle the walker. I felt so bad for her when we first got her into the ER ... every time she moved her bottom half she would scream in pain. But I did tell her this was her most innovative way yet of getting out of a few days of school.

The crazy thing about it is that tomorrow dh goes in for a vasectomy, so he's going to be spending the weekend on the couch icing his nethers... and now DD is too. They'll be movie buddies. I'd better go out and get more ice packs.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

How scary! I'm glad she's okay, but what a scary and awful day.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I'm glad she's okay!

We're another household that irons everything and I'm not sure how we'd avoid that except to maybe hang stuff up as soon as the dryer's done? Otherwise it gets wrinkled.

I'm glad Travis had a great birthday, Ash!

Wrinkles, schminkles.

Your poor DD! What a frightening day! I am laughing at the visual of her and DH both icing their nether regions.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Wrinkles, schminkles.
    This is me. Confession: I went to work today in pants that have been sitting in the dryer for the last week. And I didn't even fluff them. I just put them on, wrinkles and all, and went to work.

I have not even an ounce of desire to air dry my clothing. We went without a dryer in our rental house and maybe it's the desert air, but even socks and underwear come out hard and crunchy here when it is air dried. They don't feel, smell, or look good. Must be the lack of humidity. But I definitely draw the line at ironing underwear (which was the only way to de-crunchify air-dried clothes). Now that I'm a big girl with a dryer, I'll do anything to avoid ironing. Next step, stove! LOL.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 05-09-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Wrinkles, schminkles.
    I couldn't agree more! No one seems to notice anyway.

I'm sorry about your DD. But glad that she's on the mend.

My kids once saw an iron and were all, "What is THAT??"

Pepperlu, that sounds awful! Poor dear!

Oh my goodness! I am glad she is OK! That sounds so scary

My manager is a wrinkle natzi, she actually sent out an e-mail a couple weeks ago that if we come in with wrinkled clothes we will be sent home

I don't buy clothes generally that need to be ironed so I pretty much never do it. And I air dry almost all my clothes except socks and undies. They hang on the rod in the master bath since that is just a shower and we don't use it. Clothes last so much longer and don't shrink. Even jammies I hang dry.

Oh poor DD1. My french sister did that once....fell on steps. She didn't know the translation for tailbone so she just told us she broke her butt. That is a pretty painful thing from what we were told.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah, she's been saying she "broke her butt" all day. She's also been making all kinds of jokes about being "butthurt" about it. Another thing that's similar about toddlers and teens - both groups find the word "butt" hilarious.
    It was really painful - she said it was worse pain than her surgery last year. But the painkillers are making it very bearable. Hopefully tomorrow she can go to just a high dose of ibuprofen.

So glad she's ok!!
    I only break the iron out when we have a wedding or something.
    AKA Lisa724

Butthurt! That made me laugh.

You all's clothes must resist wrinkles better than mine. I'm pretty low maintenance but I can't go out in wrinkled clothes. If they just look like they've been worn a little I don't worry about it but jammed into a drawer for over a day, they look pretty terrible. (I don't wear jeans so I at least have to iron my pants and skirts)

Maybe because I hang all my clothes they don't realy get wrinkled? Unless I forget about them in the dryer, which I do a lot, and if thats the case I just turn it back on for a few minutes

and butthurt is hilarious I work with grown woman who still laugh when we talk about farts, so I think some things you just never grow out of

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    You all's clothes must resist wrinkles better than mine. I'm pretty low maintenance but I can't go out in wrinkled clothes. If they just look like they've been worn a little I don't worry about it but jammed into a drawer for over a day, they look pretty terrible. (I don't wear jeans so I at least have to iron my pants and skirts)
    My clothes usually have so much animal hair on them, the wrinkles would be a welcome distraction I live in jeans, so those don't need ironing, and the tops tend to be cotton knit, so no ironing there either. Also, I just put my everyday clothes stacked on wire racks, and those tend to not get as messed up as when they were getting stuffed in drawers. If I wore pants/skirts, those would definitely need ironing. My work pants/skirts are dry cleaned and hung up, and I get multiple uses out of them.

I hang anything that would potentially get wrinkled. I wear jeans a lot too.
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I have not even an ounce of desire to air dry my clothing. We went without a dryer in our rental house and maybe it's the desert air, but even socks and underwear come out hard and crunchy here when it is air dried. They don't feel, smell, or look good. Must be the lack of humidity. But I definitely draw the line at ironing underwear (which was the only way to de-crunchify air-dried clothes). Now that I'm a big girl with a dryer, I'll do anything to avoid ironing. Next step, stove! LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    My kids once saw an iron and were all, "What is THAT??"

Pepperlu, that sounds awful! Poor dear!
    Yes and yes. I hate crunchy air-dried clothes, and I have zero patience for the labor involved. No win for me on that.

If I can't spritz my clothes with some water and toss them in the dryer to get the wrinkles out, I toss them. Ain't nobody got time for ironing. Except Ash.

Trip is going well. We're just waking up and being bums drinking our coffee. I'm trying to catch up and failing miserably. I miss you guys!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

LOL Suja....I like to wear a lot of black and dark colors and have two dogs that shed a lot of white. LOL I'm quite familiar with dogs hair distracting from wrinkles.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We have two cats and a dog...and a lot of lint brushes LOL

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Pepperlru, I was so horrified to read about your DD1's injury. I hope she is feeling better today and that she and your DH are both recovering well and hanging out and watching movies peacefully. How scary that must have been for all of you.

I don't iron, either, and I have a terrible small dryer (it's the only kind that will fit in the tiny space built for our appliances) so everything comes out kind of wrinkled. I try to only buy things that are wrinkle-free. Still, some things wrinkle anyway, and R. likes to wear dress shirts. Even after re-wetting and fluffing in the dryer, he has a number of shirts hanging up in the closet with impossibly wrinkly sleeves that I can't let him wear until I iron them "someday." I hang heavy stuff up on the back deck, but we have too much debris coming down on a regular basis to hang things out to dry and keep them clean. The bottle brush tree sheds a lot, and avocados are raining down from the other tree.

Two days ago I finally got this weekend straightened out. You might remember, my mom wanted me to throw a party for S (it's his birthday today) and a party for her on mother's day. I didn't want to throw two parties two days in a row, but I couldn't get anyone to agree on anything else. My sister didn't want to have a mother's day brunch on Sunday because she didn't want to eat twice in one day. Finally, T minus 48 hours, I got everything nailed down. I am taking mom out to brunch by myself on mother's day, and my sister will make her dinner that evening. Then, we are having a party for S. today (BA-APAMOMs invited, as well as any of the rest of you in case you want to swing by) and I frantically ordered presents, a pinata, got snacks, told some people about it, and argued with DH because he wanted to have it someplace else. One of my co-workers chided me because I didn't get a themed birthday cake for him, and I told her my mom went to two different stores and couldn't find anything, and she asked why she didn't go to a fancy bakery. I said because there were no fancy bakeries open at 7 PM less than two days before the party and she had to work during the day.

I have never had such a hard time with people getting all up in my business before, including people who have nothing to do with the event.

Anyway, my mother-in-law has been in town and has either gotten her phone stolen or lost it, and now wants to leave her hotel and stay with my mom. DH and I have reconciled after our argument, but he has been sick all week and it hasn't been easy for him to deal with this. All this stuff has been making me so busy that I've been up taking care of stuff and still doing my chores well past 10 PM each night. And now I have to go get ready for a party! Can't believe my youngest is 3!

Oh, and Claire lost her first tooth by non-accident last night. The tooth fairy came, although she doesn't believe in the tooth fairy. She suspects it's me, but she likes to pretend to believe. She got a sweet note from the tooth fairy thanking her for having such a clean room that it was easy to get over to her bed and find the tooth.

L, I love you for that sweet tooth fairy note. There was something about that one in that parenting article where she didn't leave one because the room was messy that just irked me! It seemed...cruel. But I'm a sap. And oh.my.goodness. That right there is the reason I don't plan bday parties for my kids yet. I mean, we celebrate, but I'd not be able to handle all the adult expectation and input.

Happy birthday to Sweet S. He will enjoy his day no matter what. Congrats to C on losing that tooth! That is such an exciting time for kids.

We looked forward all day yesterday (well, not me, I hate indoor pool swimming) to swimming at the ymca last night only to have our adventure cut short by a turd in the pool. Ah, good times.

Happy Birthday, S!

Congrats, C on the first tooth falling out!

I hear ya on the stress of birthday parties, etc. We've had Travis' booked for awhile at a kids play place, but for some reason this year I decided to make his cake since he loves Angry Birds so much. I don't know why I didn't just buy him one! I spent all morning making the cake and some Batman cupcakes for the party. At least everything else is taken care of by the venue. I'll spend my morning tomorrow flittering between cliques of people I know from Travis' school. Some of them don't interest me at all, but I'll be the polite hostess.

I think ironing is an essential part of the culture here. LOL. It's one of the things we complain about on Saturday mornings when we're out watching the kids play soccer. One of my friends said that she didn't iron one of her husband's t-shirts once and they were out and an old lady who was behind them in a line said to her, "I would NOT let my husband out of the house with such wrinkled clothes." LOL. I think she said something to her like, "Well, he's not YOUR husband."

Travis had a great first swim lesson. He didn't want to get out of the pool at the end of it.

I'll have to go for now; I'm putting both boys to bed tonight because DH is out at a gig. I'm sure I'll be back on later tonight.

Congrats to C and her lost tooth and happy birthday to S!

Mira had her second swimming class today, went under water (she was supposed to hang onto the wall, but her hand slipped), got pulled out by a nearby parent, and the instructor was completely oblivious to all of it. He had the nerve to ask me if I wanted him to continue to work with her, as I was taking her away to calm her down and talk her into going back into the water (I told him that she isn't going to go back in the water since she almost drowned). I'm lodging a complaint about the safety issue, and if it doesn't get fixed by next class, pulling her.

I am furious. If that parent hadn't been there, she could've potentially gotten into CPR territory. IF they are not going to allow parents into the class, then they need to either have enough people there to keep an eye on a bunch of 3 year olds, hanging onto a wall in 4 ft. of water, or not let them hang there unsupervised in the first place. It has taken a lot of work to get her to the point where she is comfortable in the water, and go willingly with someone else, and this could've completely messed it all up. The instructor didn't even ask what happened, never apologized, nothing. GRRRRR....

Oh Suja, how scary! I'm so sorry.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

R. went well underwater at a swimming lesson once. He was in a motionless ball at the bottom of the swimming pool. DH and I had been specifically not paying attention, actually, because we found after the first lesson or two that when we were watching the kids, they did all kinds of things to ham it up and get our attention, and did not pay attention to the instructor. So we turned half away and chatted with Soren or talked to each other, and only looked up occasionally or out of the corners of our eyes. R. knew to not let go of the wall, but he did anyway. He was frequently being reminded to hold on. Anyway, that really brought home that "drowning doesn't look like drowning" thing. He didn't make a fuss at all, just quietly sank. Luckily another instructor saw him and shouted, and several people dived in.

He coughed and sputtered a bit, but hadn't really inhaled anything. I think he successfully held his breath pretty well, and maybe it just seemed a lot longer to me than it actually was. DH and I very specifically did not make a big deal of it, even though we were both shaken, and we told him that we wanted him to keep holding on to the edge because it looked like he was trying to swim sooner than he could. We secretly referred to it as "drowning lessons" after that, instead of swimming lessons. In R's mind, he also developed the memory that he was trying to swim on his own. That experience, coupled with the fact that the "super-duper wonderful" swim school leader dunked Claire against her will to get her to put her face in the water, made me really unhappy with the place. The school gets wonderful reviews. All of the nearby parents rave about it. I really don't know where else to go. There were only 3 students in that class. My twins, and one other boy. And still, we barely survived. Needless to say, we're not going back there. That was more than a year ago, and we still haven't done any more in the way of learning to swim.

But they do need to learn how to swim. Ugh.

I'm exhausted, but pretty glad I have one event out of my way. S. loved his party. We got a cake with bright blue frosting at his request, and it stained everyone's lips. I pretty much relaxed all of my healthy food rules today. Claire drank probably 5 juice containers. Krystal5 and her mom and Maiya trekked up to see us, and it was awesome.

My mother in law is happy with me because I have been handling all of her problems and have not snapped at her at all about them. She had her phone stolen (or she misplaced it) and I have been calling phone companies, insurance companies, her boyfriend, and filing police reports on her behalf. DH is spending about 50% of his time in the bathroom and the other 50% of his time unhappy because he's so sick, and he has very little tolerance for anything.

I have a feeling I will just do a joint birthday party for the twins at some kind of party place. It will be more cost-effective for twins (two birthdays for the price of one!) and they have been begging for a bouncy house birthday. However, I was browsing birthday places recently (oddly enough, just about 48 hours ago), and saw there are all kinds of cool birthday events around here, like martial arts lessons birthdays, and circus arts birthdays, and all kinds of neat and interesting things. I'll just need to plan ahead a little more than two days, obviously. I'll send out a save-the-date for all of you guys.

Oh, and tadpole update: they are about the size of guppies, and are getting teeny tiny little leg stumps.

Sorry for your bad experience at the pool too, L

How do you guys feel about instructors who will pick up your kids and bring them in the water if they are unwilling? I understand it's important to know how to swim, but I am totally against someone forcing a child to get in the water when they're obviously unhappy. Josh had a teacher like that. She didn't have to do it with Josh, but she did it with another little boy. I was so appalled I talked to his mom and gently suggested they re-do the class where the parent gets to go in the water with the kid.

Oh goodness, that would've really freaked me out, L! It irks me more for some reason that Mira still trusts the instructor (we also didn't make a big deal out of it, and said nothing about the instructor), and thinks that Mr.S will teach her how to swim. I mentally added 'with the fishes'.

I don't believe in forcing kids into the water either, although I am one to push Mira into things I think she will enjoy once she gives it a chance. I am happy to report that her ninja class is going well, and she loves her instructor. We still don't have compliance on the uniform, but it will come with time.