Page 1371 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 371 871 1271 1321 136113691370137113721373 1381 1421 1471 ... LastLast
Results 41,101 to 41,130 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    All these sleep issues are scary! I mean I knew about it with babies but not older kids. So different from how we were raised. Bedtime was 8pm until I was 13. We never slept with the parents, hardly ever even went in their room. They didn't lie down with us....we had twin beds. No elaborate bedtime routines. Pjs, brush your teeth and go potty and off to bed. If we came out and tried to pull stuff, we just got mom with a firm mom look and a quick, no go back to bed. If sick or a special once in a while weekend thing....we got to sleep on the couch with the TV running. I had a couple of VHS tapes with bootleg disney movies and a couple full of Peanuts cartoons that we would watch.
    Do you remember your toddler years? I couldn't tell you how my parents put me to sleep, not even in the least. I don't think I've ever asked. I do know my mom was CIO proponent when we were little though, so I assume it was the same when we were toddlers.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I remember age 4 and up for myself. But I do clearly recall my sister's toddler years as she is quite a bit younger than me. And I know what my mom said over the years and what I was taught while babysitting (did that full-time as a teen at my mom's house). Babies get rocked and are not allowed to CIO of course. A toddler that is sick is also different.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I remember age 4 and up for myself. But I do clearly recall my sister's toddler years as she is quite a bit younger than me. And I know what my mom said over the years and what I was taught while babysitting (did that full-time as a teen at my mom's house). Babies get rocked and are not allowed to CIO of course. A toddler that is sick is also different.
    Interesting. Most of what your describing is what I remember as an older kid. Probably about 8. I have no idea what the bedtime routine was at 2,3,4. Although if I asked my mom she would probably say we were amaizng sleepers, no problems. She always remembers things in a softer light than reality

L, I'm drowning in work over here, but at least a heartfelt blanket thank you for your thoughts on sleep had to be said.

It was better last night. I think, as much as I'm B's comforting presence, DH is really better at being B's regulating presence and inspiring confidence in him. DH's thing over the last 2 nights has been getting Bodhi to smile and fall asleep smiling. It's worked so far, but in the middle of the night it requires waking B up more before getting him to settle back down.

More later! Work! Urgh!

Myles, I don't know if you're interested or if B might be almost too old for it (I can't remember exactly how old he is) but I have the No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers. I'm obviously not using it anymore. It was really helpful to us and our sleep problems at the time. I'll mail it to you if you like.

Holy chicken malfunction. The little cluckers keep escaping! We have a part of our yard fenced off that was supposed to be for our dog before we re-homed him. Ah, we were so stupid! Lol. It's not chicken proof. Funny thing is, if we leave them alone, they don't try to leave but as soon as they see us in another part of the yard, they find a way to come to us. Much friendlier than I anticipated. It's been a comedy of errors around here all morning. Savana was laughing while carrying one back into the pen and said, "I had no idea I could love chickens this much."

They sound so cute!!! I love that they're friendly and want to be with you.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

How old is B? I know I had issues with Cameron sleeping through the night until she was almost 6. So it's been pretty recent. I have an awful time getting her to go to bed and stay there. I hate bedtime. Hate hate hate it.

Well, hate her bedtime. Love mine. Lol!

It sounds like your mom was very lucky, Jennifer. Sleep issues develop independently of anyone's desire for early and regular bedtimes. Babies/toddler/children have a mind of their own about just about everything.

I'm so very sorry, Suja. I think at this point it would come down to quality of life vs. length. How much longer would a 12 year old Great Dane live naturally? My understanding is that the larger dogs have shorter lives on average.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Suja, I missed your update the first time. I'm so sorry. I agree that it doesn't seem worth it at her age to put her through treatment. Poor girl. I know her remaining days with you will be filled with love. She's lucky to have you.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Suja, I missed your update the first time. I'm so sorry. I agree that it doesn't seem worth it at her age to put her through treatment. Poor girl. I know her remaining days with you will be filled with love. She's lucky to have you.
    Perfect words. I agree totally.

Naw I think my mom was just mean. I was born a night owl and still am a night owl and fight sleeping even today. I just think she's the boss and didn't engage in power struggles. I know I tried and I remember trying when I was older. Not just for sleep but keeping my room clean, helping with chores, doing the dishes. Tears never worked but I was stupid and tried them anyway (they do work much better on DH! ).

I just so clearly remember tiptoeing out of the room and peaking around the living room wall and seeing that MOM look and a firm, Jennifer go back to bed now. Wouldn't do any good to fight her on stuff, she would win. If there was a good reason to be up like we were sick, we got comforted. It's the times when we just were trying to be sneaky and just didn't want to go to bed that she was firm on. I know if without a doubt that if she threatened something, she would follow through.

That is why when I read about things like the sleep issues or other parenting....it's just do different now then what I remember growing up with and comes as a surprise to me.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Well, there's only so much I can do when Josh comes out of his bed to ask questions. He doesn't react to a "look" and if I ignore him it escalates until he's in hysterics. If I answer his questions he takes that as the go-ahead to ask more.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Well, there's only so much I can do when Josh comes out of his bed to ask questions. He doesn't react to a "look" and if I ignore him it escalates until he's in hysterics. If I answer his questions he takes that as the go-ahead to ask more.
    We live the same life

I don't remember exactly how bedtime was as a young child at my house growing up. I feel kind of sure, knowing my mom, it was no nonsense. But honestly, much as I love her, I don't really parent the way she did and I have good reason for that.

Suja, I am so sorry about Pan.

When G has had plenty of outdoor activity he is tired enough to go to sleep right away. But there are a lot of nights when he drags it out forever. He will come out, and say I can't sleep, mom I need to tell you one more thing, just one more thing.

I remember hating my bedtime, because I felt all the good stuff happened after I went to bed. My mother was a night owl, my brother #2 was 7 years older than me, so had a much later bedtime. All the good shows were on tv and I could hear them. I used to sneak out of my room and hide behind my dad's lazy boy and watch Hart to Hart while my mom was cleaning up the kitchen. I would watch Johnny Carson's opening monologue all while hiding behind my dad's chocolate brown leather chair. My mom had no idea. Although one time my brother caught me, and scared the crap out of me lol. Most the time my mom would allow me to sleep in her bed while listening to my mom & dad's cassette tapes-Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, and Anne Murray would lull me to sleep. My dad worked out of town for weeks at a time and so I would sleep with my mom 99% of the time.

On Friday, G is graduating from his VPK program, he is so excited to wear the dress(cap&gown). I cannot believe how quickly the school year has gone. The charter school for next year is looking promising. It's seems like a really good group of people. We have been attending the PTO meetings and G has made a friend already.

I am going on 3 weeks of hell that is called your dryer is broken. Even though I loved Little House on the Prairie, Ma Ingalls I am not. Clothes are **** wrinkled after hanging to dry. Ashley, I need to come on over and iron for me. Good news is, that dh has been a big help with the laundry, but I just want a functional dryer again.

What are your plans for this Mother's Day weekend????
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

My mom and her boyfriend are coming down on Sunday. I think we're going to order a pizza and I'm making banana nut cake with maple frosting for dessert. We'll exchange presents--she'll have my birthday presents too since it's on the 14th. Her boyfriend's birthday is on the 15th so I'll be giving him his gift that day too. Presents for everyone! LOL

Josh never tires out! I think he feels like we do cool stuff at night too. All we really do is watch tv and go on the computer. But I guess he feels like he's missing out. I'm sorry your dryer is broken!

When will you get your dryer? I would be upset too! I do hang my clothes but dang what if it's raining or something??

Kai will call me into his room and say the most hilarious stuff. I will tell him just one more thing or that I don't want him to call me in again unless it's an emergency but I can't bring myself to get mad. Sometimes he will come out and say everything in his room is creepy. "It's the stillness" I kind of get that. Anyway, I will tell him he can go lay in my bed and wait for me and then usually, unless dbf is out of town, I move him back to his bed when he falls asleep but he always comes back at some point during the night and climbs up between us.

I am talking Savana and Kai to see Aladdin at the community theater. Very excited about that.
    I have found 4 ticks in our house over the past few days. One was walking across my chest, one on Sawyer's head this morning, not embedded thank goodness but wasn't there when I put him to bed to mean he got it while sleeping, One was in the tub after I sprayed off Savana and Kai this evening and one on her wall when tucked her in. WTF??? I'm freaking out.

We will be at a baseball game with MIL Sunday. Normally we wouldn't be doing anything but it just happened to fall out this way. Not sure what else we will do that day/night but probably go out to dinner.

B, I hate to tell you this but the only thing I found that helped with the ticks was the bag of chemicals at menards. I don't even have really any grass or trees....well I have some grass but it's patchy and never tall. The dogs don't go out in the woods or the field. I usually start finding them on the dogs or on me or in my bed around Memorial day. We will be putting that stuff down after the 20th. It's been a little colder here until just recently (I mean last week this time we were getting over 9 inches of snow). I have just known too many people who have gotten Lyme and Ehrlichiosis and now Babesiosis.

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/avoid/in_the_yard.html

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Shelley, I'd love to visit you in Florida to do your ironing! Maybe I can earn my keep by ironing and you'll let me stay and lounge around in the Florida heat?

I really love the FL climate, esp in Feb/Mar. I still think a secular meet up in the Keys would be fun.

The bank I contracted with immediately before this current job - the one that lets me work mostly from home - is calling around again. They're super low-balling me this time, though. It might be the agency that's trying to take a bigger cut, though, or the bank has really slashed its rates. In any case, fingers are crossed they meet my requested rate. I would totally jump back to their ship. There are frustrations there, but overall, a good team and good work/life balance.

Not wanting to go to sleep and not being able when you want to go to sleep are two different issues. Kids are no different with adults in this respect, except they think mom/dad can fix it, always. Luckily (knock on wood) Nolan is a beautiful sleeper (minus sickies or something like that). He must get that from hubs, as soon as his head hits the pillow, he’s OUT. If this LO is like me in that regard we are so F’d. I can’t shut my brain off to save my life. Confession: I tell myself stories to go to sleep. It keeps my brain spinning, but in kind of a circular go nowhere fashion til I fall asleep.

Maybe I am weird, I love hanging my clothes to dry. As long as I use fabric softener that is. I hang to dry pretty regularly on the weekends during the hot months (which you know, is almost all year here ). Though, it would be annoying if there were NO other option tough. When will you be getting a new dryer?

B, I hope you have fun taking them to see Aladdin! Sounds like a great time!
    Ugh and ticks. I wish I had some advice but we’ve always had to spray for ticks, fleas, etc to keep from getting them.

Mothers Day - I told DH I wanted to keep it simple this year. Mostly I just want to sleep I took my mom (and my Aunt) out shopping yesterday and than we went to dinner. Than Saturday hubs is taking me shopping for maternity clothes and than to lunch/dinner (Olive Garden ) and than Sunday I told him I wanted to sleep in and for him to cook me dinner. This is the first weekend he’s taken off in MONTHS and I am taking advantage of it! I figured we both need a ‘down day’ and that would work out perfectly.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, I hate ironing. Ick.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I really love the FL climate, esp in Feb/Mar. I still think a secular meet up in the Keys would be fun.

The bank I contracted with immediately before this current job - the one that lets me work mostly from home - is calling around again. They're super low-balling me this time, though. It might be the agency that's trying to take a bigger cut, though, or the bank has really slashed its rates. In any case, fingers are crossed they meet my requested rate. I would totally jump back to their ship. There are frustrations there, but overall, a good team and good work/life balance.
    I loathe the FL climate, but since I am already here I vote a Secular meet up here would be awesome

That sounds amazing, I hope they meet your requested rate! I would love, love a position that I could primarily do from home.

Speaking of which. I am officially a graduate in 6wks and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Holy chicken malfunction. The little cluckers keep escaping! We have a part of our yard fenced off that was supposed to be for our dog before we re-homed him. Ah, we were so stupid! Lol. It's not chicken proof. Funny thing is, if we leave them alone, they don't try to leave but as soon as they see us in another part of the yard, they find a way to come to us. Much friendlier than I anticipated. It's been a comedy of errors around here all morning. Savana was laughing while carrying one back into the pen and said, "I had no idea I could love chickens this much."
    I'm so glad I caught this!!! Bwahahahaha!!!

Hi all! Checking in from sandersmommy's couch. Having a great time! Plan for today is to find a hot spring, dunk my head in hopes of getting some mental help (ha!) and we're all heading to New Castle. Fun, fun times

I miss you and hope everyone is doing well.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Bridget on the chicken front! A few years ago my parents had what I called 'fancy feet' chickens. Their feathers went down their legs, kind of like bell bottoms. Anyway, they were the most friendly chickens ever! They were always wanting to play and hang out with us when we were outside and they ate dog food They loved the stuff, couldn't keep them out of it! They were great companions and I was really sad when we had to give them away when we moved and couldn't take them with us.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaLamaMama View Post
    How old is B? I know I had issues with Cameron sleeping through the night until she was almost 6. So it's been pretty recent. I have an awful time getting her to go to bed and stay there. I hate bedtime. Hate hate hate it.

Well, hate her bedtime. Love mine. Lol!
    B is 4, and has NEVER been a good sleeper. I love my bedtime too, whenever that rolls around. I actually get some decent naps in on weekends. I've been reading so much lately how important it is (e.g. hormonally, metabolically) to get at least 8 hrs of sleep a night that I'm pretty certain I'm physiologically screwed in a longterm way from how I've been sleeping since B was born.

That is so adorbs. I would love to get chickens, but even with our never-snows climate, I don't know what I'd do with them in the winter. I did look into getting some quail, when Bodhi was on a quail egg bender last November. But that never happened. And then there's the dogs. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Confession: I tell myself stories to go to sleep. It keeps my brain spinning, but in kind of a circular go nowhere fashion til I fall asleep.
    I took my mom (and my Aunt) out shopping yesterday and than we went to dinner. Than Saturday hubs is taking me shopping for maternity clothes and than to lunch/dinner (Olive Garden ) and than Sunday I told him I wanted to sleep in and for him to cook me dinner.
    How is your mom anyway? Is she still seeing that boyfriend with the chicken dinner? And do tell us more about these stories you tell yourself.

Ash, I don't think I have a single thing in my house that I'd need to iron. How is that possible? What exactly needs ironing in your house?

Christina, I spent my whole childhood telling myself stories before I fell asleep. I tend to be chronically sleep deprived these days and drop off as soon as I go to bed, and I miss tellng stories to myself.

I have been very good this week and in bed by 11:00 every night this week. And I feel good today, too. I need to keep this up. I just don't like going to bed.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I used to tell myself stories too. Savana does. When I come to tuck her in she will tell me she's in the middle of the BEST story. I don't tell myself stories anymore. I am waaaaay to tired when I lay down to think about anything but sweet sweet sleep.

Myles, all of our clothes get ironed besides socks and underwear: my dresses, work trousers, t-shirts, the husband's work shirts and sweaters, Travis' school uniforms, etc, etc. I really don't mind ironing so much. I usually do it while watching TV and feel like I'm burning some calories instead of just sitting on the couch.

Travis has had a great birthday today. He was chuffed to bits with his presents. He has his first swimming lesson tomorrow and is so excited about that as well. All is well over in this corner of the world right now. Oh, well, except for Cash turning in to a little demon. Terrible 2's are in full force; his favorite phrase right now is, "No, mummy, Nooooooo!"

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post

How is your mom anyway? Is she still seeing that boyfriend with the chicken dinner? And do tell us more about these stories you tell yourself.
    She is. Kind of. Things are complicated for her being that she has no income coming in and is still getting denied for disability. She's living with my aunt (not with him) and I'm not sure what her next move is. She pushed for weeks (before she moved into my aunts) about moving back in with me. I made it clear I couldn't do that again, yet she pushed, as is her way. I think she got the hint when we gave away the extra bed and tore into the 'spare' room. to prepare to move Nolan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Christina, I spent my whole childhood telling myself stories before I fell asleep. I tend to be chronically sleep deprived these days and drop off as soon as I go to bed, and I miss tellng stories to myself.
    I used to tell myself stories too. Savana does. When I come to tuck her in she will tell me she's in the middle of the BEST story. I don't tell myself stories anymore. I am waaaaay to tired when I lay down to think about anything but sweet sweet sleep.
    Even sleep deprevation doesn't change my inability to fall asleep. It was the worse when Nolan was a NB. It was awful. He'd wake me up at night and I couldn't go back to sleep. I'd end up cleaning in the wee hours of the morning after I nursed him to sleep cause I couldn't fall asleep.

One upside though, I find it SO much easier to fall asleep while pregnant. It's quite refreshing to lay down and be asleep in a short amount of time.
    Last edited by Smplyme89; 05-09-2013 at 02:52 PM.