Page 1367 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 36786712671317135713651366136713681369137714171467 ... LastLast
Results 40,981 to 41,010 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

In NY, only liquor stores can sell wine (and liquor). In PA, only 'beer' stores can sell beer (I'm not sure what they call them, but no alcohol is sold at Walmart, at the gas stations, nor the grocery stores). It's always a hoot for me when I go in a normal store & see liquor or wine because it's something I never, ever see where I live.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Ha! Chrissy, that's the way I was used to growing up in Arkansas and found it strange that you can buy alcohol any time anywhere here in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Ha! Chrissy, that's the way I was used to growing up in Arkansas and found it strange that you can buy alcohol any time anywhere here in the UK.
    That's the other thing here-you cannot buy alcohol in any store after 1:00 a.m. (like in the 24 hour gas stations that sell beer in NY). All the liquor stores are closed by 9 no matter what day it is. And no alcohol can be bought/sold on Sunday after 5:00. At all. It's very weird. I'm not aware of any liquor stores that are even open on Sunday near me, but I'm not sure if that's a law.

What are you wearing to the wedding, Chrissy?

Here we cannot buy any alcohol after 9pm. Made for some mad dashes back in the day!

Lydia, maybe Sawyer is going for the same angle as S since say, "Not for babies" to things like chewing gum and Kai's bike.

I've never needed to buy alcohol past 1 a.m. but I know the stores are open on Sunday here-I think they all close at different times though, so I'm not sure how that works. I know the latest one I've found closes at 7 on Sundays. I think some of them close at 10 or 11 on weekdays. I do wish we could buy alcohol in regular stores though. Even though the liquor stores are really close to where we live it's still sort of a pain to have to go to a whole different store to buy it. We're spoiled...I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    What are you wearing to the wedding, Chrissy?
    Ugh-nothing fancy. I bought an outfit for the wedding and didn't like it this morning. So I'm just wearing a maroon short sleeved sweater dress thing & black leggings. I'm also going to freeze my ass off. It's outside, cold, and raining. But they say it's good luck if it rains on your wedding day, so I'm happy for Heather

Oy, dbf is going to a big outing/conference for a few days and needs a suit and tie. That's right, we've made it this far without one! Anyway, all morning he was saying how "we" were going into town to Boston Store. I didn't want to be rude but bringing 3 kids to Boston Store to watch him try on suits is NOT how I want to spend my saturday. Thank goodness Yo-yer fell asleep so I dodged that bullet. I'll admit I picked him up and started nursing him in hopes that would happen. (SHhhhh)

Today we are going to my brother's bday party (one of 3. Yes, for real) It's a bar/restaraunt but thankfully there is a large patio so we can be outside. I wasn't planning to go to this one but my dad is going to be there and haven't even been able to hug him since his brother's wife died so that's enough of a reason for me to go. My brother's been weird to me ever since I didn't go to that wedding I wasn't invited to so I hope he's cool when I see him. I am feeling nervous about my fake tooth because it still doesn't fit quite right and I haven't really worn it much since, let's face it, in my town I'm not the only one walking around missing a few teeth! I wear it where I know I'll be having conversations like to the kids' lessons and such but not for any long period of time. I'm going to be really self concious about it.

Bridget, Yo-yer is so adorable! I can just hear him. Maybe he'll go back to wanting to be the baby when he gets a little bigger -- now that Noe is 3 and going to school in the fall, she is constantly (and annoyingly, honestly) pretending to be a baby. "Look at the baby," she says while crawling around the floor sucking on a pacifier she found at the bottom of one of her toy bins.
    Or maybe he'll just stop minding being called "baby" when he gets big enough to be a real big kid. I always have used "baby" as an endearment for dd1, and I remember when she was about 10 once my mom heard me say it and she said, tsking, "You should stop calling her 'baby' now that she's so old," and dd1 turned right around to my mom and said "No! I like it!"

I hope you have a good time at the party. I'm sure no one will notice the tooth at all -- we're always so much more self-conscious about our own stuff than anyone else would notice.

Chrissy, your trip sounds super fun! So glad you enjoyed the wedding and were able to be there for your cousin. And APA meetups -- woo hoo!
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

The wedding was phenomenal So sweet and... indescribable. I kept bursting into tears though...but I wasn't the only one. My Aunt Kim's father did too. Just hearing I was from Owego, and then remembering the night he got the call that Uncle Leon had commit suicide. I knew it would be rough, but they were in the same mental state I was so it was ok. Even my dear 'little' cousin Justin (who is 29 now but I haven't seen him since he was 2-ish) hugged me tight. I apologized for bursting into tears every time I looked at him (he looks just like his father). He squeezed me tight & said, "You're ok. It's ok."

I'm so glad I came. Heather's husband is just as nice and sweet as she is. Everyone was wonderful. We all froze and laughed about it. We're going to the after party/reception in about an hour. I'm really looking forward to that.

Here, beer and wine are available rather freely, but liquor is bought through a state run store. They used to be closed on Sundays, but I think that might have changed. I found it pretty funny that there were giant signs on the interstate for liquor, when we were driving through NH. Liquor ads on roads where people are driving really, really fast. What could possibly go wrong?

Mira gets that I can call her my baby, but often corrects me anyway. And it sounds like she is being drawn and quartered if someone else calls her one. She does say 'I'm a baby!' from time to time, totally based on her convenience. It often involves asking to be picked up.

Chrissy, hope the rest of your trip is only eventful in good ways.

I used to call B "Baby", and then one day he said "I've been meaning to talk to you about that, Mom..." LOL.

Keep having fun, Chrissy!

I'm glad you're having a nice time, Chrissy!

We pass that liquor store just over the border of NH when I go visit my dad. I actually stopped there once, not to buy alcohol, but to let Josh go to the bathroom. It was so busy I didn't bother to buy anything!

I forgot about the alcohol buying being so different. Here we buy everything at the grocery store or walmart or target. I think that there is one liquor store in town but stuff is cheaper at the grocery store. I love it, I can get a gallon of milk along with my vodka. LOL Just cannot buy like Bridget said after 9pm. And yes DH and I have run to the store at 8:45 when we decided late that we wanted some that night. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

LOL. DH says we could buy wine and beer 24 hours a day when we lived in Tennessee, but not hard liquor. I honestly don't remember.

Oh, Yo-yer, one day you will understand how you can be so big, and always be your Momma's baby.

Maiya insists she's a big girl, too, but doesn't really notice when I call her Baby. If I say she IS a baby, then she objects, but not if I just call her Baby. She likes to pretend to be a baby sometimes, too. Even still pretends to nurse occassionally!

Chrissy, so glad the wedding went so well!

Hmm... I don't buy hardly any liquor of any sorts (in fact, I think the only thing I've bought in my entire life is Vodka. So I can make home made vanilla extract...), but I'm pretty sure we have no alcohol buying time restrictions here. I've even worked at a grocery store, and there was none that I knew of, so either there really is none, or I was VERY poorly trained, hahah.

What a day!!! I was able to have some pretty fantastic conversations with Heather, Justin, and their mom Kim. I bonded instantly with Kim's 2 sisters and their father. What a wonderful, fantastic, extraordinary day!! I am SO GLAD I came!!

We all really want to stay connected now. Heather & Justin both want to hear all about their dad. They don't know any of us on their father's side of the family. I've been encouraging them to plan a trip up. Everyone would just love to see them, and they're bound to have many more stories than I do. They're both darlings and I just LOVE them!!!

I really thought I was freaking Justin out because for the first hour every time I looked at him I'd start weeping. He looks just like his father-a spitting image and he's 28. His father was 27 when he passed-so the perfect age and everything. He stands like him, walks like him, has his sense of humor and fixing everything. Just EVERYTHING about him is his dad all over again.

I apologized for crying every time I saw him and he hugged me tightly and said, "It's ok. You're ok." Later we had a nice, long talk and I gathered that my reaction actually pleased him. I mean, he apologized for upsetting me but that was silly and I told him so. But he said that it was nice for him because of course his mom always tells him how much he's like his dad, but for me-someone from his dad's side of the family that remembers him to react that strongly...it really touched him and pleased him greatly. He's so thirsty for stories about his dad. I wish I had more to share, but I was only 10 myself so I don't have that many.

I do hope they come up. The family would just love them. I'm sure my dad would be as emotional as I was because he adored his younger brother a great deal.

I added some of you lovely ladies on fb. So if you have a friend request from a Rachael, it's me. If you don't, I didn't mean to miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaLamaMama View Post
    I added some of you lovely ladies on fb. So if you have a friend request from a Rachael, it's me. If you don't, I didn't mean to miss you.
    Accepted

The wedding looked lovely, Chrissy. I'm glad you had such a nice time

Chrissy I am so glad you are having such a good time!

I think the only restriction we have on alcohol here is not before 11 on Sunday (I am not for sure on the time anymore). Other than that beer and wine are readily available at pretty much all retail stores/gas stations/etc, but liquor is only generally available at liquor stores. Which we have a plenty of, so no trouble getting any

So, we had the 'new puppy' talk. Kind of. My hard-headed-loveable wasn't really seeing my point of view, he is in such a state of just wanting to replace him as quickly as possible. Sigh. So I ditched the 'we don't have time' argument and went with something a bit more concrete. I told him that I refuse to even consider a new dog, without getting an electric fence. We've talked about it for a couple years now, but never got around to it. We do have a fence, but a dog who wants to get out - will get out. So, it came down to after the room is remodeled, and after we've made the big purchases for the baby, we'll revisit the dog situation. It buys me some time at least so that he's not rushing out grabbing the first puppy he sees (which is precisely what he was talking about doing).

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by CamaLamaMama View Post
    I accepted because I figured there was an APA connection And I never do that, without knowing who exactly the person is.

We can get liquor pretty much anywhere. I think till 12. Buuuut I don't really drink. But since becoming a single mom I think I may change my ways.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Janet, I know for sure that we can't get alcohol anytime, because when I used to do my grocery shopping at 4 AM when the kids were asleep, I was not allowed to buy wine. It really irked me because I needed it for that recipe I still owe your mom, the braised chicken thighs with carrots and potatoes. I think it has to be after 6 or 7 AM, and I don't know what time they stop selling it--maybe 1 or 2 AM? So you probably broke the rules when you worked at the grocery store.

California has the most amazing alcohol selections in grocery stores. They have wine selections by country, by type, by class. Multiple aisles. In Wyoming, we had drive-through liquor stores. It was very convenient to be buying for a party and pull up to a window and place an order for a pony keg, a bottle of vodka, a bottle of rum, and some mixers, and have it all come through the window. In California, they have drive-through pharmacies, which I'd never seen before, but no drive-through banking, which we had all over the place in Wyoming.

I remember Pennsylvania having really weird alcohol laws. In Texas, there were blue laws. A lot of items couldn't be purchased on Sundays, including alcohol. Whole aisles of the stores would be roped off. I just was trying to look this up, and apparently this dates back to the puritan days. It has been getting less strict since 1985 (I lived there in 1980). Blue laws are responsible for car dealerships not being able to be open on both Saturday and Sunday in a lot of states, also.

-----------

I will apologize now for not taking friend requests, even from people I've known and loved for ages. I am absolutely terrible at FB-ing. In fact, I just found out that one of my friends had a baby a month ago, and only announced it on FB. I didn't know, and now I'm trying to figure out if I go onto Facebook and congratulate a month after everyone else and look like an idiot, or just ignore it and send a card or a personal email. I am friends on FB with people I know in real life, and from sheer necessity, the mods on APA just because I need to be able to have a way to message if/when APA is down. But I don't want to give anyone the impression that I can actually pay attention to what is going on with FB, so I try to keep my friends to a minimum and I tend to only check it when my husband or I think to ask what someone we know has been up to lately.

My DH and I have discussed that this is probably the first major sign that we're getting old besides wrinkles and gray hair, as well as the fact that we're fussing about those #%&^ hashtags and !#&^%@ twitter. He at least used to be in the front edge of the socio/technology curve, to the extent that he could afford it. We now realize this is what it's like to have the world sort of pass you by. Now it's hard to be involved in FB, although we both have accounts by necessity (we don't want to be labeled as psychopaths) and we don't care much about a lot of the things people care a lot about. I pick up the gossip magazines in the waiting room at work and I only know one or two names they mention, and I don't care about any of them.

Anyway, I have had APA people get really upset at me for not friending them, so I'm a little sensitive about it and may over-explain myself, but it's probably easier to just make it a rule, especially since I don't use Facebook much.

I almost lost my post, so I'm going to exit now after that near-tragedy.

Chrissy, that is so sweet. I bet it means the world to him!

Christina, I'm glad you guys came to an agreement on getting a dog. I hope things work out smoothly for you guys.

L, actually, now that you mention it, there was a totally separate night crew. "Day crew", that I was, only worked between 6 AM and 1 AM. So maybe those are the hours you can't buy alcohol, and they just never mentioned it to me because it would never become an issue. Ya learn new things every day! And to think, I've was born and raised here, and never knew that... I'm so sheltered!

So at Maiya's request, Thursday night she went to bed with no diaper. And woke up dry! Last night, Daddy put her to bed and put a diaper on her, and she woke very wet for the first time in a while. Tonight, I put her to bed, and Maiya again asked for no diaper. I was a bit nervous, since she just wet last night, but went with it. Figure that she needs to learn to make these choices. So here we go, fingers crossed!

I couldn't imagine getting upset if someone didn't 'friend' me on FB! No one should have given you a hard time about the L. Geesh.

I fly to Phoenix tomorrow!!

L- I did look for you, but was not successful. Buuuut i totally understand. I refuse to friend people who I went to high school with and am no longer close with. I have my close friends, APAers and then work people. I wouldn't ever be mad at you for making a personal choice! What horse poop!

And you are not old because of hating hash tags and twitter. I'm 25 and hate it!!! I didn't have a Facebook for a few years. I loathe seeing things that are all "#nofilter" "#lovinglife" "#omg" or whatever. I'm all "#stfu" I feel like people are becoming self obsessed between tweeting to tell people what they are doing, instagramig a picture of it, checking in on four square and linking all of it to Facebook. I will admit that my Facebook is a steady stream of pics of the babe though...

One thing I do love about Facebook, I have many of Parker's NICU nurses on there. They often comment on his pics or my posts about him. I love knowing they care beyond the hospital.

Chrissy - aren't apa meet ups the best? I have been talking to a momma that's not on the boards anymore for years and we finally met up when Parker was home. It was the best, we got to hang out for a week!

APA meet ups are the awesomest. I've met 10 moms from my Jan 09 DDC alone as far as Hawaii, Texas, Maryland, Mass, and then of course, CA. I think it's so great to see our kids together. I used my air miles to bring B to go see Abbeysmom, who was my lifeline the first 6 months that we were new moms. And this time last year, one of the mamas was coming out to the Palm Desert for a legal librarian convention, so I met her down there and we had 3 glorious days of hiking in Palm Springs/Joshua Tree, cooking, reading quietly, and watching Almodovar movies.

APA secular meet ups are a special breed of fun. We seriously all have to go to Suja's or the FL Keys.

Ugh, B was in bed at 8, and he cried every time I left the room. He didn't fall asleep until 11:30. Poor kid's gonna be exhausted tomorrow. I need to find some bedtime stories that "sell" him on the concept of sleep. Does anyone have any book recs? I started telling him to think of sleep as a protector of sorts because he's gotten so scared of it. He's gotten so dependent on me at night. I haven't slept in my own bed since last Tuesday. He says he keeps thinking spooky thoughts. This is so tough for all of us in this house.

I'm not sure if there are time restrictions on buying alcohol here, but you can buy it all in the grocery store. Liquor, beer, wine, there is an entire aisle of liquor, 3/4 one of wine and a whole corner of beer. And the NH liquor store is awesome, but I've only ever stopped there one even though I've driven by 5632473298432 times.

Bridget, Sawyer is too cute!!
    AKA Lisa724

FB is an easy (lazy?) way for me to keep family updated on Nolan mostly. It keeps me from having to actually 'talk' to them on the phone

I hate, hate, hate twitter. I the twenty million ### updates annoying and pointless and I have a ton of friends who couldn't live without it, it baffles me.

I've never got to meet any APA mamas! I would love to meet up with people, but I seem to live on the opposite side of the country of every.single APA mama I make a connection with. Oh wellz, maybe one day!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog