Page 1366 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 36686612661316135613641365136613671368137614161466 ... LastLast
Results 40,951 to 40,980 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

All the doggy sadness . So sorry, guys. Truly.

Christina, I toh-tah-ly agree with you and all counts. A puppy is such a huge commitment and no WAY would I do that with an infant. No way. And I could live the rest of my life with no indoor pets, much as I love Apple and Pawprint and will keep them forever. After that I want farm pets that live outside.

I could do with no more pets ever, too. We are down to two cats and every time somebody mentions they want something else (a hamster, a snake, chickens...) I say "They're just going to die. I hate it when they die."
    It really is the worst. I love animals and I enjoy having pets as companions but they just don't live long enough.
    Big hugs to everyone going through loss.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I hated coming home to a dogless home. HATED IT. I'll be ready for a dog before DH.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    I could do with no more pets ever, too. We are down to two cats and every time somebody mentions they want something else (a hamster, a snake, chickens...) I say "They're just going to die. I hate it when they die."
    It really is the worst. I love animals and I enjoy having pets as companions but they just don't live long enough.
    Big hugs to everyone going through loss.
    omg-I could have written this exact post. I've said for years, "no more pets!"

And I allowed a little 5 week kitten in my home this last week.

I'm off to bed, and knowing me I'm going to be neurotic, anxious, and barely make my plane so I likely won't get to check in with y'all till later in the day. From my hotel room in St Louis!!!!!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Have a great trip, Chrissy! You deserve the break.

Oh I am so sorry for both the dogs! One of my favorite quotes in regards to dogs is "A dog's life is too short. His only fault, really."

And I am torn... I love having a dog and cat, but I hate all the work. I don't even want to think about maybe getting another when something happens to these guys.

I know I'm missing a ton, just keeping very busy. Barely making enough computer time to keep up with my recents threads in NM! I do miss you all, though, and hope to be more active again later.

Oh Suja, I'm sorry.

Christina, let me tell you I wouldn't take that on right now. When Parker came home from the nicu I barely got my cats taken care of! My dogs were here a week later and it's been crazy. They stayed at my neighbors for a week since we've been home and life is easier without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Christina, I toh-tah-ly agree with you and all counts. A puppy is such a huge commitment and no WAY would I do that with an infant. No way. And I could live the rest of my life with no indoor pets, much as I love Apple and Pawprint and will keep them forever. After that I want farm pets that live outside.
    Well, we have chickens already, does that count? I just call them our yard chickens, but really they've become more neighborhood chickens than anything. They roam to our neighbors houses that live next to us, they told us they like it - they've had less bug issues since we let them roam I keep telling DH we should give them away, we don't do anything with them, but he likes having them around so, they stay

and I agree that pets definitely don't live long enough He really wasn't that old either, 9-10years old. Well, I guess that is kind of old for a bigger-outside dog. If he brings it up again, I'll just try to go through the motions of reminding him what having a newborn is like and that combined with puppy - no thank you.

We agreed a while ago that once ALL of our pets were gone that we wanted to return to a one-pet-only household. That was only because hubs was SO set on having a dog.

Chrissy I totally missed you were going on a trip! Have a good time mama!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I think we are done getting new pets too, but now Josh is talking about getting a kitten.

So sorry to hear about all the pet sadness I've been noticing how much our dog is aging lately and it makes me sad. We talked about getting a second dog, but decided that is just too much for us right now. I think we will always have one though. DH is allergic to cats so none of those. We are very much dog people and almost all of our travels are to places we can take a dog so we rarely have to leave her. (camping, the lake, etc)
    AKA Lisa724

Christina. chickens totally count! We are working on getting some right now!

I'm with Suja...I do not want to come home to a dogless house. I don't even like it when we only had one and she was gone a few hours at the groomers.

On the other hand, I'm back to rethinking the having a kid. The older we get, the more set in our ways we are and just not sure if it seems worth the lack of sleep, the constant worry (and I would because I'm bad enough with the dogs), and the expense....and that is a big issue.
    It would have just been so much easier in our 20's to be like, let's have a baby that sounds like a good idea and bam your having a baby. Instead it's 7 years later and we have had way too much time think about it and rethink it and rethink it again.
    I'm not ready to pull my name from the agency yet but also not going to start tearing up the guest room and buying more baby stuff. At this point we haven't gotten that much and what we do have, I could probably eventually resell as it's brand new.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm sorry you are having second thoughts Jennifer. It sucks that you have had so much time to stew on it.
    AKA Lisa724

Bridget- I had sheep, goats and a horse growing up. I loved it. We had lambs were rejected by their mothers in the house with us for a while. One goat, Kevin, was my buddy growing up. They are like dogs with horns. LOL!

Jennifer- I'm sorry to hear you are having second thoughts.

Christina. chickens totally count! We are working on getting some right now!
    Having the chickens would be awesome if we got eggs from them, I love fresh eggs!

Jennifer, I couldn't imagine having that much time to 'debate' the issue, so I can only imagine your feelings

We 'babysat' a goat once. DH hated it, it ate everything, it even tried to eat a lawn mower tire He tried to convince me to get a pig (or hog, or soemthing), but I can't handle having animals that we are to eat at some point. I would be useless on a farm.

I'm in St Louis & in my room...finally!! When I went to rent my car, the Hertz guy realized my license was expired. I know I renewed it, but I'm lost about where it could have gone. I had to go to the police station at the airport and have them run a check to verify my license is valid before they'd let me rent a car. The car rental place said they were surprised I got through airport security with it, so now I'm worried I won't be able to board the plane to Phoenix.

And THEN my phone died 10 miles into the 30 miles to my hotel, in the midst of navigating me. Of course that was the ONE map I didn't print a hard copy of. So I had to pull off at a Subway and charge my phone and get written directions. I was regretting my decision to travel solo at that point, but I'm past that now

Oh, Chrissy...sounds like a nightmare so far!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Oh, Chrissy...sounds like a nightmare so far!
    It's not really. I was 'over' the expired DL issue as soon as I was able to successfully rent a car. I'm mildly concerned about getting turned away when I try to fly to Phoenix, but if worst comes to worse I'll rent a car (as I've proven I CAN do that!) and drive home. A mere 15 hours.

And once I found a Subway with wifi and was able to write down instructions from MapQuest, I was over my anxiety attack about my phone shutting down. My hotel is directly across the street from a Wal-Mart. I got me a car charger These will be the only 'events' (of the negative sort) for my trip. I'm enjoying myself now-sipping wine (also bought at Wal-Mart which cracks me up!), catching up here and on FB and listening to a murder mystery on TV.

I've talked to Rich & the kids. I do miss them...but Conner has some friends over and he's excited for his opening day of baseball tomorrow. I do wish I could be there for that.

Sounds like you deal with setbacks way better than I do! And a hotel room and a glass of wine sound idyllic right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Sounds like you deal with setbacks way better than I do! And a hotel room and a glass of wine sound idyllic right now.
    I won't lie-when my phone shut down I wanted to cry. For real. But I had to be a grown up and forced myself to stay calm and think about what a reasonable person (not myself!) would do. It worked!!

And once I'm ok, I do let go. I'm not letting those incidents ruin my vacation. No way!!

Cool, Chrissy, that's the only way to survive mishaps! Deal and move on. Story of my life!

Today when I said, "Hi Baby!" to Sawyer, he said, "Not baby nee-more, Mama. Yo-yer now." (Love how he says Sawyer)
    My heart broke just a bit. My baaaaaaybeeeee!

Awww *sniff* That's so cute. And sad.

Cool, Chrissy, that's the only way to survive mishaps! Deal and move on. Story of my life!

Today when I said, "Hi Baby!" to Sawyer, he said, "Not baby nee-more, Mama. Yo-yer now." (Love how he says Sawyer)
    My heart broke just a bit. My baaaaaaybeeeee!
    Awwwwww......

3andMe is online now Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Sawyer is just adorable. Don't let him break your heart, Bridget. My children are pretty tolerant of me reminding them that even if they're not babies, since they are my children they will always be my babies and that sometimes I will forget and call them baby when I'm looking for an affectionate nickname. It's kind of like giving a hug with words.

S. is kind of like those kittens that think they're ducks because they're raised by duck families--he's imprinted on his older siblings and thinks he's older than he is. He doesn't understand why he's not in kindergarten, or didn't get a ribbon for a science project. Also, so many strangers comment on him being a big boy that when I tell him that something is only for big kids, he tells me, "But I AM a big kid, Mommy, so I CAN do it." We met two 5-year-olds at a playground the other day, both of whom were there with their grandparents, and they were trying to get their kids to play with him gently and were worried about him keeping up, and I told them not to stress about it. Yesterday he was playing with 5th-graders.

Chrissy, your trip sounds really stressful, but I love how you were thinking on your feet and managing it so well. I guess this is all the years of being in charge of everything at your house and managing all of life's small and large catastrophes, but it was wonderful how when you got to your hotel you were able to just let it roll off of you, relax, and enjoy yourself, and still have a plan for managing future complications. Way to go! For some reason, I thought this was a work trip and not a vacation.
    What are you doing in St. Louis?

L, my cousin is getting married.

eta: It's a big deal because I haven't seen her, her brother or mother since I was a child. Her father commit suicide when I was 10. There was a couple camping trips our grandparents took us on in the following year or two together, but we totally lost touch when they moved to the St Louis area. It's going to be very emotional for me. I'm already feeling it and have been a bit teary eyed all morning.

I'm staying till Monday, then if the airport lets me board the plane (), I'm going to Phoenix and taking a road trip with ShannonG up to CO. We're picking up sandersmommy (Kim) along the way and spending a couple days in New Castle, CO.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 05-04-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Chrissy, I had to travel on an expired license last year. The air travel boards all suggested coming an hour earlier just in case you get stopped by an overzealous TSA agent who will pull you aside and try to verify you in other ways. They let me straight thru without hassle last year, through.

Bridget, Sawyer says his name the way some LA baseball fans sometimes pronounce the "Dodgers", although it's often "Do-yers". I miss hot nights at the Dodgers ballpark (though I'm not a fan of baseball at all. I just love that stadium in the summer).

Sawyer is so cute! Cash loves being the baby. I'll say "Who's the baby?" and he'll shout, "Cashy's duh baby!" We call him Cashy's as well as the Cash-dash, and he often refers to himself by those names!

Chrissy, your trip sounds like it's going to be so much fun. I hope you don't get any hassle at the airport. Those people that work there in security really intimidate me! When we go back to visit and travel through Newark, I feel like I'm
    Being interrogated!

Our weather has been decent the past few days. We've already spotted quite a few young women with the daisy dukes. I think the warmest it's been is 60 degrees! We're off to the zoo tomorrow with some friends to celebrate their son's birthday. I told Trav that we were going, thinking that he'd be ecstatic; however, his response was, "zoos smell like animal wee and poo." He is a nut.

I feel like I have loads to update on, but I hate typing on my phone, so I'll leave it at that.

Chrissy, at least now you have a good adventure story! But why is it funny buying wine at Walmart?

Aww Bridget, that is cute but sad.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36