Page 1365 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 365 865 1265 1315 135513631364136513661367 1375 1415 1465 ... LastLast
Results 40,921 to 40,950 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Our new manager wants everyone to go out next Friday for dinner after work. Which isn't a big deal, we do it a few times a year, but for some reason she said no families. I was like um.... and you would like me to do what with my kid? Hire a sitter for the evening so I can hang out with work folks? Yeah, no.

I've become pretty close with a few co-workers and we go out to lunch/hang out on the weekends when our schedules allow for it. I like them though, not so much the rest of the people I work with

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

YAY for the heartbeat, Christina! And your new manager is crazy (and probably, childless).

I've been putting off getting a Kitchen Aid. Mostly because I love to bake, and that would make it too easy, and then I'd have to eat what I baked, and no good can come of that.

Hooray for a heartbeat and an active little bean!

Myles, I meant to reply about your boss. She sounds really unreasonable in her expectations (which you already know). Your lunch is *your* time. She shouldn't dictate what you should be doing with it, and for her to somehow judge you for not being "friendly" enough with your coworkers is just weird. I'm glad you're not looking at this as a permanent situation.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Congratulations Christina!

Myles, I couldn't imagine being 'mandated' to be social with my coworkers.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Congratulations on feeling movement, Christina~

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    How do you volunteer for studies like that? Josh and I happened to be at a children's museum a couple years ago when a group of college kids was doing a study on children. They asked Josh to be a part of it and I thought it was really interesting.
    I think I just got something with the newborn packet at the hospital or they mailed something to my house a few weeks later. I've been taking them to studies since they were very little. They were mostly interested when they were infants and toddlers, and sometimes I could bring the twins for one thing and S. could do another study at the same time. Once I was on their list, though, they approached me whenever they had a project for an age group that my kids fit.

I think you could probably look at nearby large universities specifically, or google child development research and sign up for and nearby universities. I found this, for example: http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~lds/index.html?spelke.html

A lot of times, though, if it's any length of a drive, it can be kind of a pain to go that far for only a 15 minute study, especially since parking around a large university is often difficult. They keep the studies short because they are kids and they don't want to lose attention.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    Congratulations on feeling movement, Christina~

I think I just got something with the newborn packet at the hospital or they mailed something to my house a few weeks later. I've been taking them to studies since they were very little. They were mostly interested when they were infants and toddlers, and sometimes I could bring the twins for one thing and S. could do another study at the same time. Once I was on their list, though, they approached me whenever they had a project for an age group that my kids fit.

I think you could probably look at nearby large universities specifically, or google child development research and sign up for and nearby universities. I found this, for example: http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~lds/index.html?spelke.html

A lot of times, though, if it's any length of a drive, it can be kind of a pain to go that far for only a 15 minute study, especially since parking around a large university is often difficult. They keep the studies short because they are kids and they don't want to lose attention.
    Cornell publishes theirs. As does VT (I'm sure they all do). KimJ sent me a link to a cocaine study they're doing at VT. They wanna scan brains of people that use cocaine recreationally. Adults, of course.

I have participated in exactly one study, on language processing, I think. They were trying to establish that first languages are processed differently in the brain than second languages. I'm fairly certain I messed with that hypothesis, based on the questions they had for me after.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Appointment this morning and we were able to confirm that the 'maybe' movement I've been feeling is definitely the baby. She wasn't able to find the heartbeat until I showed her where I thought the baby had been hanging out I think he/she was sleep, heartbeat 143
    That makes me so happy to hear, Xtina. Go, little heart, go!

The more I think about my boss, the more inappropriate I decide that she is. I mean, yesterday, she said it like this, while subtly shaking her head: "Maybe it's your personality?" I think she's trying to continue a long-dead conversation we had about me coming onto her team full time, and I think she thinks she's coaching me. But I've been evaluating her as a possible longterm boss too, and she does not get the job.

OK, OK on the paddleboarding. Well, the invite is still open to Janet, of course. Heads up, then, that my activity group is going dancing at an 80s club in SF some time in June, and maybe you ladies will want join us for that.

I'd be too tempted to interate to her how much her personality sucks. Passive aggressive, maybe. But sometimes it just feels good.

Bad news on Pan. It's a large mass. It has basically infiltrated her entire left nostril. Estimated size is a minimum of 7 cm x 4 cm. Her right nostril is fine.

We don't know what this thing is. Vet said that it doesn't look like a typical adenocarcinoma. But, it also doesn't look like any other kind of easily treated cancer either. We'll likely get pathology results on Wednesday.

Pan came through the procedure just fine. She's agitated, probably because I'm not there. I'll be bringing her home later today.

Oh no Suja!!

I'm sorry, Suja.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I'm sorry Suja
    Congrats on feeling movement, Christina
    There was only one job where I enjoyed hanging out with my coworkers outside of work. We only did it a couple times but we used to go out for a couple drinks when someone had a birthday. Everyone would chip in to give scratch tickets to the birthday boy or girl (probably hoping they'd get a portion of the winnings!)
    Thanks for the info on child development studies. I'd actually be curious to see what someone with a knowledge of child development would think of Josh, since I've noticed a couple things I wouldn't expect from someone his age, but what do I know?

Oh no Suja....I'm so sorry.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Suja I'm sorry

Our bulldog died last night. Hubs noticed he wasn't eating much a couple of days ago, but we thought it was because we switched dog foods, so he went out and got the old kind and well, apparently it wasn't the food We have no idea what happened, i mean literally 2-3 days we noticed something was a little off. Such a short time. DH is taking it pretty hard..... Is it horrible of me to be dreading the 'we need to get a puppy' coversation already? I am so beyond not ready to be taking care of a puppy and DH works entirely too much, but I already know it'll be an argument if I say no since his way of grieving will be to fill the void with another - I know my husbands process. It's not going to be an enjoyable conversation.

Suja, so sorry about Pan.

Christina, yay! for a heartbeat!

Kate, any large research university will have studies ongoing. Check with the psychology department and/or the speech-language department directly for information. Our university was always doing something and the majority of them were looking for typically developing "controls." You can often get free hearing or speech or developmental screenings as part of the process of participating in the study.

I was a participant in a hearing study as an undergrad, and then later volunteered to conduct some of the hearing testing for the same study. I also did a lot of research with stuttering in grad school, but that involved analysis of transcripts. I never got to meet the people involved.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Suja, I'm sorry to hear the news about Pan. Christina, I'm so very sorry about your doggie too. I hope your dh is open to your need for no new puppy stress.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Man, so much sadness in here with our beloved pets.

Xtina, I'm so sorry about the loss of your doggy. Was it an English or an American bulldog? I think you should lay out all the tasks that come with having a puppy in the house and ask your DH if he's going to do all of them... AND help you take care of Nolan AND your new little one. I agree that some life stages are absolutely wrong for bringing home a new pet.

Suja, what crappy news. That just really sucks. I'm so sorry, mama! Your head must be racing right now thinking of all the possible ways this could play out. I hope your friends in the dog lover community out there will be there in person to give you support, and your family will also be helpful to you while you're dealing with Pan's illness.

Oh, yeah, Kate. You've got to be near tons of universities! I hope you find a study that Josh can participate in.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Was it an English or an American bulldog?
    I didn't realize there were so many different kinds of bulldogs.

He was a mix of two different types bulldogs. Half American bulldog and half ??? something. He looked like an American bulldog, just shorter and stockier. Whats even worse don't think I have a recent picture of him now that my phone killed over and they couldn't recover my pictures Sigh.

ETA: and you are so right about the responsibilities surrounding a new puppy. Maybe if I put him to it in a way that amplifies how *I* pregnant or caring for a NB can't properly care/train a new puppy. He'll be more open.
    Last edited by Smplyme89; 05-02-2013 at 03:07 PM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I am very, very sorry to hear the news about Pan, Suja, and sorry for your loss, Christina.

Christina, I'm sorry about your dog. What a shock!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I'm sorry about your dog, Christina We lost a cat very quickly when he developed kidney problems a couple years ago. He seemed fine, we went away for vacation for 3 days, we came back and he was in bad shape and we had to put him to sleep. Do you guys like cats? They are much lower maintenance than dogs. And you won't have to change the litter box, since you're pregnant

We do have one university in town, which happens to be the same one one of the marathon bombers attended and they just arrested 2 or 3 of his friends who also went there and were trying to cover up for him after it happened I was going to go there, too--remember when I said recently I was applying to college--and I know crazies are everywhere but I just feel sort of demotivated about the whole thing now. Especially since I was trying to send a transcript to them electronically and it took 3 weeks for them to tell me that they do not accept e-transcripts, after I already paid for it. Anyway...It might be worth looking into some studies there, maybe a few months from now when they've finished cleaning out the terrorists (hopefully).
    Last edited by daylilies; 05-02-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Kate, I forgot to mention that you should also check with the linguistics department. I don't know how close you are to MIT, but they have one of the most prestigious linguistics departments in the country. It would be really cool to have Josh do a study there!

Christina, sorry about your doggie. I agree, worst time ever for a puppy. My DH is the same way about wanting to rush right out and get a new puppy. Just look at my siggie for the results of that!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I'm sorry about your doggie Christina

I'm sorry you lost your dog, Christina. Whether they go quickly or slowly, whether you can see it coming or not, it's never easy.

I agree that this would be a terrible time to add a dog to the family, especially a puppy. They are SO much work!

We're about an hour away from Boston. Not convenient. We're closer to Providence.

Thanks for the condolences. I am still in a sense of denial about it I think, it'll hit me at some point.

We do have two cats already. Honestly, I would be perfectly happy not getting anymore animals, ever. I feel like we neglectthe ones we have. Well, I mean, we do take care of them, but just don't have the time for them that we once did. Its not fair to them.

I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks this is wretched time for a puppy. I can not take on another responsibility right now, seriously I am drowning for time now. crazy man.

I totally understand.