Page 1363 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 36386312631313135313611362136313641365137314131463 ... LastLast
Results 40,861 to 40,890 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Ugh-you wouldn't think you'd have to pay if something broke. How are you supposed to know?

Our local evil utility company is NYSEG. New York State Electric and Gas. You don't get an option...if you chose another electric company you still have to pay NYSEG for the delivery. I've never lived anywhere, whether it was just me & Rich or all 6 of us, where our monthly electric bill was less than $125/month. That's without gas. As the girls got older and we added computers, tvs, etc, the average was 150-175/month.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Weird conversation at work today ... My partner G noticed that a little boy we were working with suckled on his tongue. Like thumb-sucking but without the thumb. It was actually a little unusual, like he flipped his tongue backward and sucked on it. Not something I think is common but recently we've seen two kids do this, this little guy and a little girl.

So going over the results with the mother, G mentioned that he did this and she'd only ever seen one other kid, a little girl do it. And she said, "We should get them together!" The mother and I both, at the exact same moment, said, "NO!!!" We must have both had the same graphic thought. I can't decide if it was hilarious or disturbing!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

We don't have any choice at all in utilities. I think it's all a racket.

Lol!

Mandy, that is a bit disturbing!! Why would she say such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Mandy, that is a bit disturbing!! Why would she say such a thing?
    Maybe her mind just isn't quite as dirty as mine apparently is? Otherwise ... yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Maybe her mind just isn't quite as dirty as mine apparently is? Otherwise ... yeah.
    I admit to sometimes having a predominantly adolescent brain, but I cannot think what other motivation she could have for saying it. It was likely a slip-of-the-tongue (pun intended!) moment where her thought just popped out of her mouth, but still. Ick.

Maybe just thinking they were two peas in a pod ... but yeah. In this case, adolescent thoughts win.

LOL Mandy. Hopefully she was just wanting to get them together because they have a lot in common and may bond over their tongue sucking experiences lol.

Practically all our utility companies are evil here. Ironically, even with the crazy prices, the water company isn't as bad as the others, them and the garbage service are pretty good. Garbage is paid yearly with our escrow. I think it is $400 a year or something. Both of those are city run. I wish people wouldn't privatize everything under the sun when it comes to utilities. We had a similar situation here with gas Chrissy in that we used to have only Atlanta Gas Light. They privatized gas in 2000 with the promise of better rates and service, but since then we now still have to pay Atlanta Gas Light because they own all the lines and we have to pay private companies for their service and even "customer service fees" which for some companies can be about $20 a month, which to me is a lot for something I'm not using and which is horrible - their customer service that is. Privatization of gas is the reason we have an all electric house. We only have one option for electric here too, Georgia Power, and they are the most evil IMO. Last year they charged me a "deposit" because we were past due. I admit I was past due but honestly, I didn't want to pay a full $500 for a month of service, our electric bill in winter is ridiculous, worse than in the summer even though we have hell on earth in summer and run the AC constantly. I can take the cold so keep the thermostat in the 65 - 68 range in winter in an attempt to keep the bill under $400 for those few months. To make my budget not get so jacked up, I'll just pay $350 a month for 3 months until the electric bill goes down and I've been doing this for years, so 2 months out of the year we are usually past due. So they charge us an additional $200 right before I made my last $350 payment last year and that made me go past due another month because they put $200 of my $350 on their "deposit" charge. When I asked why they did it, they said we "might not pay" and "might get disconnected" and then the electric company would be out of all that money. So I asked them how long we have had service with them, they said 13 years, I asked how many times have we been disconnected, they said "none" so I wanted to know what would make them think that all of a sudden after 13 years that for some reason without contacting them for help, that we would get disconnected. They were silent. I fought with them a few weeks but they then threatened to charge me another $150 deposit because I was still past due, which happened only because of their "deposit" charge on the bill. If they hadn't have charged that we would no longer be past due. It still makes me angry thinking about it. I was really pissed I can't switch my service for electric unless I move to a far out suburb where they have co-ops for utilities.

Erin

Ugh. I think they must talk to NYSEG. After our bankruptcy, we had to pay a deposit. Which I expected, but they kept 'renewing' it for 5 years.

Erin! I am growing grass too! Or trying. Our front yard is patchy. So I collected dirt from some big holes I dug in the back yard for a different project and brought it by wagon load to the front try and even it all out. I threw grass seed own but I have clover on it's way as well since it is to be tough to kill. The hard part is that the patch is kind of in the center of the yard and we all, including me. keep forgetting to stay off! lol. Let me tell you how heavy a wagonload of dirt is to push up a steep incline (our back yard is 3 tiers) with a 2 year old "helping" you! Long day!

Y'all are talking about growing grass.

Ha! Keep off the grass, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Ha! Keep off the grass, man.

this is when I start wondering if there's something wrong with me. Not literally-but I do not 'get' this love of dirt and growing things.

If my grass wants weeds, it'll have weeds. I ain't doing sh!t about it.

...and there goes my good mood.

There's some dispute going on at Rich's and I'm being dragged into the middle of it, acting as mediator. I don't know why they can't figure their own stuff out without me.

Jesi & Kaleb get Conner on and off the bus. They've recently talked about moving in with me, but I've put them off for a number of reasons. One of the things I pointed out is they'd no longer get the $ from me because I'd then have to give it to my mom to get Conner on/off the bus. They've told Rich that I told them I'm not paying them any more, therefor they're not getting Conner off the bus. So now Rich has told Syd she has to come straight home to his house (rather than stopping in at mine) so she can be there to get Conner.

It's 11:00 p.m. I don't have time for this!

this is when I start wondering if there's something wrong with me. Not literally-but I do not 'get' this love of dirt and growing things.
    If my grass wants weeds, it'll have weeds. I ain't doing sh!t about it.
    Yes and yes.

And why can't Rich get Conner off the bus?

Rich is still at work when Conner gets home. As am I.

I'm with you chrissy! Although I had my backyard sodded last year. We ripped out our pool and put in a deck and playground and after all that I had a mud pit. I didn't want to wait for seeding. I am thinking about doing the front this year.

I don't garden at all. I put in hosta like 2 years ago and I don't plan on ever doing anything else.

Jenn. I would love to find the dogs a home. Cameron is very attached and I just don't feel like I can change one more thing in her life right now. I am a cat person, so i still don't know why my ex got me two dogs for Mother's Day, but here they are, 3 years later. I love them to pieces. I just don't like them. If the makes sense.

I do understand pets being babies. My cats are my babies. I love them like they are my children. They sleep with me. I would let the dogs join if they were housebroken and wouldn't try and play with the cats, which just causes a fiasco.

I live in a mad house.

Erin, I literally laughed out loud about the burning in hell comment!

I don't care about weeds unless they are thistles and I great satisfaction from digging those out since they have such deep roots. I just want nice soft grass for the kids to run barefoot in. Did y'all ever suck on the clover flowers when you were kids? Such fun, I tell ya. Another reason why I want to sprout clover in my front yard. We have loads of dandilions which I know is considered a weed to most but in our family it's an herb and the leaves actually are great on salads and we make tea as well. I caugh dbf spraying them in the back yard one year and AW HELL NAW. I chewed him out in front of his friend and I NEVER do that. I only like to be a biatch in private. lol!

Chrissy, I would be very annoyed if I were you as well.

Oh, and I found a tick crawling across my neck *shudder* (i just did) tonight while nursing Sawyer. Dbf was flipping.out. I am freaked out by it as well but I asked him several times to please stop talking about it and googling pictures of ticks because I'd prefer not to obsess over it. But then I totally obsessed and cleaned the hell out of the house, even sprinkling dichatomous earch around the perimeter and washing the floors with a neem oil solution. And vacuuming the shiznit out of my house...which is all hardwood.

Tiny little disease carrying and/or parasitic creatures freak me the hell out. Could very well be my greatest fear.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    We got Bo in Feb. 2012. The first night we had him we put him in a crate in the mudroom downstairs and tried to go to bed. He barked and howled (he's a beagle) so much we looked online and said it was common for beagles and to try crating him in the bedroom. It worked like a charm. We keep him in a crate because he can't be trusted on the loose by himself. He likes to get into things and chew them.
    Welcome back Erin!
    Yeah beagles are really into their families and like being with their people! I cannot totally trust Molly either. But once she's in bed with me, she doesn't get up much unless it's to go to the bathroom. thankfully at this point the only thing I worry about her chewing is just gross but not something that wrecks my house.....Cosmo's poo. She's doing it less often now but if cosmo gets up and goes in the middle of the night, sometimes Molly comes back with disgusting breath. If that happens, she will spend the rest of the night in her kennel. Thank god Cosmo usually doesn't go during the night (for any lurkers who don't know....my dogs are litter box trained as well as going outside).....and if she does get up, I usually feel Molly getting up and I have started going out and seeing if there is anything that needs to be picked up.

Erin ours was just starting to look good last summer finally....and we got a super hot summer that was really rare for us where we had a LOT of days above 90 and not much rain. Add a sandy lawn and we just eventually gave up. It's hard too because we don't have much going for us shade wise. And our yard is fairly large. I regret not getting a sprinkler system when we built the house and just adding that to the loan. Now it would be close to 4K to add one in and I just don't think we want to spend that much money. I'm hoping to mostly focus on the front yard and at least get that looking better. I think the seed we buy is a combo of fescue and bluegrass and maybe something else. it's a blended one.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Cama, what kind of dogs do you have? What have you tried, in terms of house training them?

Jeez....ticks already. I find a number of them in my house every single year. In my bed or on me or on the dogs. And I treat them. Last year it got better after I treated the lawn but I'm guessing you don't want to do that. I got a bag at menards that is red and has a tick and some other bugs on it.

Just got Molly and me signed up for date night with your dog. Or as I'm calling it, a mommy and me class. LOL We did the puppy class last year but I think we need some more work.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I've found two embedded ticks on me so far. Hate those bloodthirsty suckers.

Suja - I have a Dachshund and a Chihuahua. My ex tried to crate train them when we first got them. We had some success with that, but they never only went outside. When he moved out they got worse. I started over last summer with the crate and taking them out on a leash, lots of praise for going outside. I admit that once I started getting more pregnant I was too tired to stand up long enough let them go potty and they still needed me to be there with them.
    I'm back to working on it now, but sometimes keeping track of them and the kids gets to be overwhelming and the kids come first.

I am praying I can housebreak them before Parker is mobile. If not I am prepared to find them a new home. I really would like to avoid that, Cameron loves her doggies. The Doxie and her are inseparable, it's sweet.

Bridget, I loathe ticks! I haven't seen any yet. Cameron's hair is perfect for ticks to hide in and last year I found one on her head and freaked! Ugh. I shudder thinking of it.

I found one on Savana's head too one year. I normally check the kids every night but hadn't started that routine yet since spring just arrived five minutes ago.
    I made a repellent with neem oil and aloe vera gel. It doesn't smell very good but can't say I care too much about that!

My DH is obsessed with our grass. He's always comparing it to the neighbors and suggesting we use a company that is actually called Chem Lawn. Seriously. No frickin way. I couldn't care less what it looks like as long as we keep it mowed.

We are finding ticks around here already too. Luckily our yard is pretty free of them, but we spend a lot of time in the woods and stuff.
    AKA Lisa724

Lisa, my mom uses Chen Lawn. Don't tell your DH, but she has a beautiful yard. She has 16 acres and a huuuuge part of it is yard.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    My DH is obsessed with our grass. He's always comparing it to the neighbors and suggesting we use a company that is actually called Chem Lawn. Seriously. No frickin way. I couldn't care less what it looks like as long as we keep it mowed.

We are finding ticks around here already too. Luckily our yard is pretty free of them, but we spend a lot of time in the woods and stuff.
    Chem Lawn?

Ticks have been getting worse in recent years. At least in areas that are prone to them. I never ever saw a tick till my later 20's (if not 30!) and now the animals, kids, or adults get them every year. At least 2-3 of us!

I'm hoping the next two days fly by. My normal Thursday lunch has been moved to today, since I'm up on the hill (campus) in training. My friend didn't know if he'd be able to do lunch & make his appointment if we met up here. It's going to be a challenge to make it back to class on time