Page 1360 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 36086012601310135013581359136013611362137014101460 ... LastLast
Results 40,771 to 40,800 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

I was left in the car all the time at 10 yrs old when my parents ran into the store. I mean if I got hot, I was old enough to roll down the windows or open the door. I liked to wait and read my books.

I was dreaming about my dogs and my house being full of fleas when I woke up to Cosmo throwing up in my bed. Didn't want to wake up that early on a Saturday! Luckily it was just the sheets and mattress pad....so easy to wash at home. The huge king size blanket I crocheted....that doesn't fit in my machine and would have meant a trip to the laundromat.

Wow, we went from snow to 70's.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I was left in the car all the time when I was little. My sister and I were in the car one time when my mom was in the grocery store and I had to pee really bad so I hopped out and peed in the parking lot. I must have been around 6 or 7, because that was when we lived in Portland and that's how old I was there. We also liked to read our books in the car. One of my friends also knocked a car out of park and it rolled down a hill when she was inside it and she broke her wrist.

Anyway, I can really see the truck incident happening to me, too. Maybe not the anger for what, being in the truck in the first place? Being in the truck without shoes? Or getting upset about not being able to go on the trip?. But if it was a short shopping trip, and if I had a book, I would have just been told I needed to remain in the truck. My parents would never have bought me a pair of shoes just so I could go with them. Never. My dad would have been more likely to have me tear some pages out of my book and fold them around my feet because who cares about those silly rules anyway. Or they would have had me stand outside the front door and watch them in the store, like a wistful orphan hoping to have parents of my own some day.

I am taking the twins to a Chuck E Cheese birthday party today. I don't think I have ever been to one of those places. I've heard horror stories. I'm hoping it will be better than expected, especially since it's mid-day and unlikely to be full of drunk rednecks.

Speaking of birthdays, S. is turning 3 on the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend. I had been toying with the idea of actually having a little party for him, maybe at my house or at a nearby park with a playground, and then I remembered it was Mother's Day weekend so I gave up on that idea and decided to have just a family party again and combine it with a Mother's Day party on Sunday for my mom. I talked to my mom about this, and she said no, we needed to have two different parties on two different days, one on Saturday and one on Sunday, and that it wouldn't be fair to combine them. I said S. wouldn't care, and she insisted that it wouldn't be fair, and that we wouldn't have the same people at both parties. So in the past few years, we have just had my family, my sister and her DH, and my mom at these Mother's Day events, which would be the same if we just had a family party for S. But Mom and S. like balloons and decorations and food and presents and all that stuff, so there is still work to be done. My sister thought Mom had to be joking when she said she wanted two parties, but I told her no, and I mentioned that to Mom, and she said of course not.

So this whole thing is making me want to give up and run away. I don't like planning parties at all in the first place, let alone two, let alone on Mother's Day weekend. My mom said, "Well, YOU chose to have him on that day. It's not MY fault." I'm trying to see if I can get her to agree to maybe have a mom-and-daughter brunch on Mother's Day instead of a party, and still have a party for S. on Saturday that she would attend anyway, but neither she nor my sister seems to be into that idea. Blah!!!!

L - can you have S's party on another weekend? He doesn't really know or care when his birthday really is, and it sounds like you need to offload some stress right now. Either that or move the Mother's Day party to another weekend. But out of S or your mom, I can already tell who would be more upset by that!

Ash -if it is worrying you then I would get it looked at. Your dreams sound scary! I had a dream last night that the doctor called and told me that I was right and my numb hands and arms were because of "that you know, whatever disease you keep talking to me about." I just thought it was funny that the doctor was so vague. I don't really have numb arms and hands, though I wonder what interpretation that might have in real life. Hmmm. I will have to think about it - what am I not feeling right now?

I don't remember being left in the car, though that doesn't mean I wasn't. I do remember my dad not allowing me to do flips on the roll bar of his jeep while he was driving it, though I was begging and begging and didn't understand what the problem was! I remember driving to my grandparent's house four hours away and dad would start a six pack of beer at the beginning of the trip and it would be finished by the time we got there. So weird to think about that now. After 6 beers in 4 hours I am pretty much wasted! I know he was bigger and a man, so maybe he was just pretty tipsy, but still. And no seatbelts, lying around in the back or up on top of the backseat waving to cars behind us. Just weird how loose everything was back then.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

L, it's hard to believe the expectations that some grown-up have for parties and celebrations! I just couldn't imagine giving 2 hoots about that kind of thing! I hope you can pull off a simple mother's day brunch and focus your energy on a small party for S.

I recently shared with my kids about how when we were kids there were no carseats and seatbelts weren't even a requirement for us until I was older. I remember my parents making the whole back part of the station wagon a bed for us on road trips and we would lay back there in our sleeping bags on the way to grandma's house. That resulted in a lot of wailing and moaning and groaning about how they wished they lived in "old times". So I had to counter it with the idea of flying through the windsheild if there were ever an accident to which Kai said, "I don't even care of that happens!! I don't even know what a windshield is!" Lol

Ash, sounds like something worth getting checked out. Please, keep us posted. I always have wacky dreams when I have worries. Like, lately I've had a lot of nagging thoughts of dbf cheating on me while he's traveling. I *think I know he wouldn't, but I thought that before too. Anyway, I keep having dreams that I cannot find him. Annoying dreams.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Oh yeah, I think I remember my dad drinking beer while driving, too. I do remember him reading newspapers. And we used to sleep in the back of the car, also, on the long road trips. My mom doesn't understand why road trips are more difficult now, but I remind her that the kids can't move around the way we used to.

My dad used to take us on fishing trips with him, and he'd get drunk while fishing and then drive us home. I think we're all pretty lucky to be alive! I'm sure I've told you all about the time my mom was drunk after a camping trip and wanted me and my sister to ride home with her but my aunt wouldn't let us go with her and she ended up totalling the truck in a ditch and knocking her teeth out...I'm sure we would have been killed/severely injured if we had been with her. Crazy stuff.

I don't recall specific incidents of riding with my parents while intoxicated but looking back at all the drinking that happened at family gatherings, I am quite sure it was the case. I do remember being driven home by the dad of the family I babysat for and knowing he was drunk. I don't think I even told my mom!

My parents were never drunk so I don't have those memories but I'm not surprised at all. But we totally used to have beds in the back of Dad's Scout for long trips. We used to fight over who got to lie down in back and who had to sit in the actual seat.

As scary as our childhood car stories were, my mother actually tells a few stories of driving through the desert between Phoenox and Tucson when she was a child in the 1940's (at that time, 100 miles of completely pristine desert) that seemed as archaic to me as a child as our stories do now. She didn't have a seat at all and the "air conditioning" was a bag of water attached to the window. AC had yet to be invented in those days, but the desert in summer is hot enough that you would die in a car without a cooling system on a long trip.

Our little LL Bean adventure was really devised as an entertainment for the family vs. a quick shopping trip. I don't think my parents intended to buy anything. For them it was more of a tourist attraction, so I guess Dad was mad because I ruined the day's entertainment. Although it still seems to me someone could have said something to me before they drove off. Even to ask if I needed to use the bathroom or anything. But of course it was my fault I ruined the trip and not theirs.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 04-27-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    L, it's hard to believe the expectations that some grown-up have for parties and celebrations! I just couldn't imagine giving 2 hoots about that kind of thing! I hope you can pull off a simple mother's day brunch and focus your energy on a small party for S.
    Really. I have never had a party for my mother or mother in law for mother's day. Sometimes I get them a card or take them to dinner, but not every year. I don't expect anything for myself either. If I get it, it's nice. But party? That seems over the top to me. I don't know anyone that does that.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    My dad used to take us on fishing trips with him, and he'd get drunk while fishing and then drive us home. I think we're all pretty lucky to be alive! I'm sure I've told you all about the time my mom was drunk after a camping trip and wanted me and my sister to ride home with her but my aunt wouldn't let us go with her and she ended up totalling the truck in a ditch and knocking her teeth out...I'm sure we would have been killed/severely injured if we had been with her. Crazy stuff.

I can't recall my father drinking and driving with me or my brother in the car, although maybe he did at the few family gatherings he went to. But he wouldn't have had more than 2 or 3 over the course of a day. However, being in a band he would often have free alcohol throughout the night and I remember him coming home smelling like cigarettes & alcohol. I'd always wake up and run out to hug and kiss him.

I also remember going to benefits or jamborees and dad's hatch would be loaded with band equipment. The back seat had to be folded down, and sometimes if he had to stop suddenly my brother and I would brace ourselves against the front seats to hold the amplifier back If we'd have even just gone off the road, that thing would have surely killed us. Dad was too cool for a station wagon or even a 4 door. He'd wrinkle his nose at those types of cars. Sports cars only. Rear wheel drive, 8 cylinders, and upstate NY. No other vehicle to drive in the snow either.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Ash, I hope your patch of skin is nothing, but it's always worth getting checked out. Is it the color of a bruise? Do you normally have dry skin? I get patches of nummular eczema that start off as roundish patches of dry skin about the size of a coin, and then they become rough and reddish or brownish. They stay for a long time. But they're itchy, and if this was itchy you probably would have mentioned it. Seems like you have had lots of body woes recently... that is really stressful. Will definitely cause bad dreams! Let us know what you find out.

I'm laughing at all of the car stories. My parents had a little Datsun pickup when I was a kid with a camper shell on it. We took a lot of trips down from northern to southern California in it - about 8 hours. My folks would just throw us in the back of the camper with a couple of sleeping bags, some toys and snacks. I shudder to think now how unsafe it was, but boy was it cozy.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

We didn't have a car, so no car stories. We used to travel on a scooter, all four of us, but that was fairly common in India.

I have an appointment with the IM vet for Pan. Just the ultrasound is 2-3 hours, and we want a rhinoscopy too. I think that I will be there all day.

Keep us posted as you can, Suja.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I hope it goes well Suja.

Wishing you and Pan well, Suja.

Please let us know when you can, Suja! Thinking of you and Pan.

Appointment is tomorrow morning at 11:00. They had one open on Saturday, but not with the IM vet I wanted to see. Pan sneezed a couple of times this morning, and there was blood all over, so this is coming at the right time. I'm forcing some calories into her, but not nearly enough.

Aw, no. Poor little kitty. I hope they can find something helpful.

Suja, I'm thinking of you and Pan!

Thinking of you and Pan, Suja!

I have no good car stories but my mom likes to tell one about the time she and my dad went strawberry picking and they put the pints of strawberries in the back of the hatchback. On the way home they got a flat tire and their spare was stored in the back so they had to pull over and take out all the pints to get to it.

I am glad you all are here to tell your scary car stories!

Happy news-Syd is no longer engaged! Unfortunately, she is already moving on to another guy. She even baked him cookies and everything. I have reason to believe she even plucked her eyebrows!

Hey, the strawberry story reminded me of something. This was before my time. My dad went to the beach, and it turned out, the fishermen were coming in with their catch. Live crabs. He got a whole lot of it, and lacking a good way to transport them, decided to hire a cab, and dump them in the truck. By the time he got home, no crabs in the trunk. They had all managed to claw their way to freedom (har, har), through the gaps in the trunk. He got to pay cabfare for all his troubles.

I'm glad she's not engaged anymore Chrissy.

Good story Suja! The strawberry thing was before my time, too.

Happy Monday all.
    Suja, hope to hear today that kitty has meds and is ok.

My aunt passed away this weekend. She has been suffering with cancer for a couple of years now. My dad's brother's wife. Talked to my dad for a long while yesterday and he's struggling with a lot of hard memories of my mom at the end, while trying to support his brother who is very angry right now. He tells me dad he worked so hard his whole life to buy the lakehouse they bought and retire with his wife and grow old together. I just can't imagine how defeated a person would feel from something like this. I saw my cousin post yesterday morning that her mom had gone to heaven and then last night I saw her post that heaven received another angel as her boyfriend's mom passed away in a car accident! Jeez. Simply awful. Hoping for good news in the days to come.

Oh Bridget that is a whole lot for one family to handle. I'm so sorry. Cancer really, truly is evil.

I re-connected with an old babysitter on FB and she told me that my dad would always offer her a beer when he was driving her home. She was like 15-16, LOL.

Thinking of you and Pan Suja!
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    I re-connected with an old babysitter on FB and she told me that my dad would always offer her a beer when he was driving her home. She was like 15-16, LOL.
    Oh my!!

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Oh my!!
    I say this while thinking...I'd have LOVED to have been your babysitter when I was a teenager lol

It's funny how our perception changes with our role in life. As a mother of teenagers though, my reaction is different.

I'm sorry about your aunt, Bridget.

That's very sad for your uncle, Bridget. . I half-wonder if you would want to recommend this book for him that's about what to do when you have been working intently towards a goal for a long time, and suddenly the goal moves or is taken away due to circumstances beyond your control. The only problems I see with that are a) when someone's grieving, a book recommendation seems so cold, like "here, deal with your profound loss by reading THIS. Over a million copies in circulation!" I'd sooner read the book myself and share some of the coping strategies offered by the book in heartfelt conversation. and b) the book is called "Who Moved My Cheese?", which in itself sounds way too irreverent for the situation. But still, the book talks a bit about how to find your flexibility when you've struggled towards something for seemingly your whole life only to learn there's no goal, or it's an impossible goal for you, or you realize your priorities have changed. If anything, maybe your dad could check out a book review of it on Amazon or Goodreads and summarize it in discussion with your uncle... that is, if he struggles to find words of advice for him. I'm sorry for your loss too, Bridget. A lot of sadness for you this weekend.

Ash and Suja, I hope each of your appointments fair well today. Please keep us posted. I'll be thinking of both of you.

Chrissy, her eyebrows? Did they turn out funky or something?

I have a crab story too. I went with aunts to visit family in Houston when I was 13. They went crabbing on one of the last days there, and wrapped up a bunch of live crabs to bring back to CA in a styrofoam cooler. So at the airport I went to the gift shop and had asked them to watch my backpack for me as they checked us in. When I got back to them, they told me the airline said they couldn't check the live crabs; they had to be carry-on, so they'd gone ahead and checked my backpack that had all my books and Walkman and other plane entertainment on it. So all I had were these live crabs as my carry-on for a 3.5 hr flight.. I'm still pretty mad when I think about it today. These are the same aunts who read my diary once too. I think cultural difference part-explains their thoughtlessness, but I don't think it's enough of an excuse for them to have been so inconsiderate and obnoxious.
    Last edited by demigraf; 04-29-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: I hate editing posts on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I have a crab story too. I went with aunts to visit family in Houston when I was 13. They went crabbing on one of the last days there, and wrapped up a bunch of live crabs to bring back to CA in a styrofoam cooler. So at the airport I went to the gift shop and had asked them to watch my backpack for me as they checked us in. When I got back to them, they told me the airline said they couldn't check the live crabs; they had to be carry-on, so they'd gone ahead and checked my backpack that had all my books and Walkman and other plane entertainment on it. So all I had were these live crabs as my carry-on for a 3.5 hr flight.. I'm still pretty mad when I think about it today. These are the same aunts who read my diary once too. I think cultural difference part-explains their thoughtlessness, but I don't think it's enough of an excuse for them to have been so inconsiderate and obnoxious.
    Uh...cultural differences? I would think they sound completely self absorbed and at least, dismissive of an adolescent's needs and right to privacy.

Her eyebrows looked fine. She's had years of practice doing mine (I cannot pluck my own eyebrows, I get nauseous and dizzy!). But the tweezers were out and I know I wasn't using them. Nor anyone else on me.