Page 1359 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 35985912591309134913571358135913601361136914091459 ... LastLast
Results 40,741 to 40,770 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Mmm. Will have to try.

DH just made the most amazing stir fry. Simple but so much flavor! He's not a big stir fry guy, so I'm overwhelmed. I detect ginger (not too much) and coconut oil. Did I mention amazing?
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Omigosh dbf's has the WORST phone ettiquette ever. He called me three times in an hour tonight. Right during bath/teeth brushing/story choosing, pj wrangling aka total chaos. First time he is walking into a crowded restaurant so saying "pardon me" type things as he's walking in. Then he has to talk to the hostess, he's perusing the menu to see prices and then he's like, "I gotta go, babe. These prices are outrageous. Call ya back." Second time he's driving so his navigation voice is talking while he's talking. Third is to tell me he's lost and that could I believe that an appetizer was $45 dollars at that first place? "Ok, I'll call you when I get somewhere."
    STOP calling me! lol. I mean, wait until you are somewhere quiet and you have a freaking moment. Can you imagine calling someone as you are walking into a restaurant to eat? We gonna have to have a chat when he gets home.

Savana decided not to do piano anymore. The past few times that I have reminded the kids that lessons are coming up, they groan. So I let them know that they asked for these lessons and would like they like to choose a different instrument, a sport perhaps? To which they both responded that they were doing piano to make me happy. While I appreciate the effort, I would like them to do something that makes them happy so I told them they had until yesterday morning to let me know. Kai said he IS doing it only to make me happy but he would like to continue to make me happy. Savana said she doesn't want to do it and asked me a dozen times if that was ok while closely watching my facial reaction. I finally took her little face in mine and said, "It's ok. I promise. Find something you love and let me know when you do and I'll help you figure out how to be great at it." To which she told me she is going to invent her own songs and that she'd like to do swimming lessons.

The daycare family I was telling you guys about, they are going to stay until school is out, which is good as they showed up here monday very forlorn because mom was going to look at a new daycare for them. Mom said her oldest wasn't even speaking to her because of it. The county STILL has not even sent me the timesheets for the past 3mos. They kept telling me that the mom wasn't working the hours her kids were in daycare which I knew wasn't accurate since I've known her for years and I call her at work and I just KNOW she's working. When she finally got ahold of her caseworker she said she'd get the timesheets out, "in a few days." I am going to look into who I can talk to about this because I called the supervisor and she was so rude and condenscending. I need to go above her. This is ridiculous for me to wait this long for payment and whenever I call to inquire they act like I am trying to steal from them.
    Last edited by Bridget; 04-25-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Oh Bridget!!! That system just pisses me the F off! WTF are they trying to do?! Your poor family And you. I know it must be a struggle to provide services for (as yet) free. You're such a good soul. I cannot help but believe somehow, some day, you will be rewarded for this.

Savana really is a darling, isn't she?

I'm glad you have such precious children, because their dad just makes me wanna

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Hi Aelith! Why the kibosh on chili?

That recipe looks amazingly good, Mylah. That may be right up my alley - I'm trying to limit carbs as much as possible and that might satisfy my carb cravings a bit. I have found that if I eat bread or other carby-carbs I get incredibly hungry the next day. Like I cannot eat enough to feel full even though I am stuffed, if that makes sense.

I treated myself to some silk underwear and silk slip-shorts for summer! I am super-excited to wear those slip-shorts. One thing about this weight gain that drives me crazy is that when it is hot, my thick thighs start rubbing together in a really annoying way and it is so uncomfortable. So I can wear these slip-shorts under dresses and not have my thighs rub together! Yay! I hope it works.

So the chickpeas didn't work out so well. I did the recommended time and they were still not crunchy all the way through, and I really needed them to be because the texture of chickpeas bothers me. So I put them back in for another 7 minutes but kind of lost track of time. The cinnamon ones were smoking balls of charcoal by the time I remembered. The savory ones were just on the wrong side of done, but I could still kind of get the idea. I think next time I will toast them for 15 minutes and then coat them in the seasonings and put them back in. That way I can get them good and crunchy without burning them up.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    I treated myself to some silk underwear and silk slip-shorts for summer! I am super-excited to wear those slip-shorts.
    Oh, they sound nice!!

He is a freaking trip isn't he? I just hang up the phone and shake my head.

I will admit I am getting really nervous that they will find a way or reason not to back pay me. I only became officially certified 5 weeks ago but I was assured countless times by my certifier that it's common practice to start care while you are in the process and they back pay. But she also said it would be no problem and when I talked to her last week she said it would be done by the end of the day. So...she's blowing smoke up my arse at least to a certain extent. The redeeming part of it all is that I do really, really love these kids and they are so wonderful to mine so having them here is a very positive thing for our family.

My experience with roasted chick peas has been hit or miss too! When they were good they were really good. But when they were bad, ew.

That is crazy Bridget. Can you just keep calling them every day until they send you the papers you need?

How long did the kids do piano? I agree that they should find something they love or at least enjoy. But I will also say from my experience....it wasn't until I could actually play some things that I liked the viola. And I certainly didn't love it every time I practiced. It was often frustrating. But man there was nothing like finally getting it and being able to make beautiful music. That just takes a lot of time. When all I could do was scratch out hot cross buns....wasn't that fun.

I was so irritated last night and still am this morning. My agency has a FB group for waiting families. Someone announced about 6 weeks ago that she had a match. Baby was born around April 10th. And she has been waiting about 5 months than me....which happens since it's not matched on who has been waiting the longest. So last night she changes her profile picture to an ultrasound....I'm not sure how far along but definitely second trimester. We are supposed to tell the agency if we turn up pg and you are taken off the books and into a holding pattern until after the baby is born. Which is what the others we knew who turned up pg while waiting did.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh Bridget, your kids are so sweet! I know the type of person who always calls at weird times. I always see people on the phone while they're ordering coffee or are doing something at the post office and it's like, really?

Yesterday Josh told me he has to do too much around the house. We usually ask him to let Bo out to pee and bring his dishes to the kitchen after we eat. That's it. "But you make me do it EVERY DAY!" he wailed.

Katy, those slip shorts sound nice. Sorry the chick peas didn't work out very well, maybe you could boil them first so you wouldn't have to roast them for so long?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I was so irritated last night and still am this morning. My agency has a FB group for waiting families. Someone announced about 6 weeks ago that she had a match. Baby was born around April 10th. And she has been waiting about 5 months than me....which happens since it's not matched on who has been waiting the longest. So last night she changes her profile picture to an ultrasound....I'm not sure how far along but definitely second trimester. We are supposed to tell the agency if we turn up pg and you are taken off the books and into a holding pattern until after the baby is born. Which is what the others we knew who turned up pg while waiting did.
    Oh that's rotten!

B I also think it is important that children do an activity they enjoy and at least give it a good faith effort, if they don't like it after they've really tried, time to try something new! I think S will love swimming and it is great exercise! Also, the system sucks and I hope they get the papers out to you soon, ridiculous that you have to go through that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Ugh, so they got pregnant on their own (awesome!) but than didn't tell the agency to be taken off waiting? That must be very hurtful

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post

Yesterday Josh told me he has to do too much around the house. We usually ask him to let Bo out to pee and bring his dishes to the kitchen after we eat. That's it. "But you make me do it EVERY DAY!" he wailed.
    Poor Josh, life is so hard

People come into the credit union talking on their cell phones all the time. I've even been shooshed a time or two when I ask a question during their transaction. I than repeat the question a bit louder

Jennifer I can't thank you enough for the consumer reports! I was looking them over and talking to my mom about getting a blood pressure monitor when she mentioned she had bought one a while back, just so happens it was one that the report recommended I can definitely tell a difference in my BP after relaxing for a bit in the evenings vs if I take it in the middle of the work day (I keep telling hubs I need to quit my job its too stressful for me and the baby ) The past two nights my BP has been mere points away from a perfect 120/80 Very, very excited and hope it continues!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

I'm sorry Jennifer. Surely the agency will find out she's pregnant? What happens then?

Yeah I was looking at the dates and am thinking it was probably just the timing. Might not have known when the match was made or maybe she had a history of miscarriage and just assumed this would end too. I don't really know. And the birth mom picked them and maybe she would be happy to have a sibling for the baby or maybe she is annoyed that her baby will not be the only baby after just a few short months.
    It's just annoying for those of still waiting.

You're welcome! I'm glad that it helped. I knew that they generally did reviews of those every year. I have looked for those before...that and glucose monitors. Definitely helps when you are relaxed and not stressed or nervous!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Probably nothing Kate unless the birth mom changes her mind if they haven't been to court yet. In WI they have to go to court to terminate rights and you cannot petition for a date until after the baby is born. So generally it takes 3-5 weeks after the birth to terminate. Up until that point, birth mom can change her mind. Generally baby is in a bridge care home until the court date.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

That's such a mess, Jennifer. It's understandable why anybody in line for a baby would be upset about her profile picture.

That's so upsetting, Jennifer. And to post that as her photo without letting people know about it beforehand. I might just take her to task and ask her outright what the deal is.

Kate - the chickpeas were canned, so already cooked. Maybe our oven temp is off - I may try it again sometime. Frustrating because it took f.o.r.e.v.e.r to peel them and then I just burned them all up.

I hope you get paid, B.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

B, I'm keeping my fingers crossed too that you get paid. It's so frustrating when you feel like it's all in the hands of some faceless bureaucracy. At least that's how I felt when I was waiting to get paid for Disability and Family Leave by the state. Hugs to you!

I'd like to share this other recent nugget from my Catch-22 life at the office:
    Me: Apparently, <this one stats group> used to be contacted every year by (this other team) to find out how many licenses they needed for a particular system (which they share with the other team), and no one contacted them this year. So theyíve been operating without proper licenses. S (the director of the stats gp) told me A (from the other team) was the one who used to poll her every year for the # of needed licenses. But S canít remember what specific system it was they were purchasing licenses for.
    Boss: Yes, A has moved on to another department. What system were the licenses for?
    Me: Iím not sure. I asked S and as I mentioned above she was uncertain.
    Boss: Ask S again.
    Me: She doesnít recall. Iíd like to contact A for clarity. A was the system owner at the time and can probably easily recall which system S was talking about.
    Boss: You canít contact A. Sheís with another department now. Ask S again. Or ask PQ. If S was buying the licenses, PQ would have had to buy for his team too.
    Me: I asked PQ and he hasnít ever had to purchase licenses for any of his systems. Is there a specific reason I should stay away from A?
    Boss: You canít ask A. Sheís with another department now.
    Isn't that lovely?

Does another department = another planet?? WTF?
    AKA Lisa724

That conversation made my head hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    That conversation made my head hurt!
    Me too!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    B, I'm keeping my fingers crossed too that you get paid. It's so frustrating when you feel like it's all in the hands of some faceless bureaucracy. At least that's how I felt when I was waiting to get paid for Disability and Family Leave by the state. Hugs to you!

I'd like to share this other recent nugget from my Catch-22 life at the office:

Isn't that lovely?
    WTF?

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    Does another department = another planet?? WTF?

Oh Myles. I feel your pain. There's a little bit of that here, except sometimes I just go ahead and call the formerly-in-my-dept employee and ask them. It's easier to beg forgiveness & all that. So far, it's not bit me in the butt yet.

And then the conversation stopped being conversation and turned all stabby! Argh - I would rip my hair out if I had to deal with that. I need to read Catch-22 again. What a brilliant book. But I need to start on some anti-depressants before I start reading it.

I loved that book too, Katy. And Alan Arkin as Yossarian in the movie gave me a crush that's lasted a lifetime.

Sadly, I tried to read the sequel, "Closing Time" and just couldn't get into it.

I made salmon and artichokes for dinner. I'm feeling proud because DH has never liked artichokes and he loved them tonight. I just steamed them in the microwave with chicken bouillon and made a lemon mayo dipping sauce. I love it when I "turn" his palate.

Alan Arkin was perfect in that role.

We went to a Vietnamese restaurant for dinner. I had a 65 minute hard workout with my trainer (I went insane and spent a lot of money on 15 personal training sessions to try to help lose weight) so I don't feel guilty. And I didn't actually eat anything too bad. Those artichokes sound yummy.

Had to share this with you girls. DH and I were watching TV and I saw a commercial with a kid with no shoes. It took me back to my childhood and I started to re-tell this story (DH has heard one time too many) of when I was a child and went camping with my family in Maine. I remember taking a book and curling up a nest of blankets in the backseat of my parents' truck to read it because there wasn't really anywhere I could curl up comfortably in the camp site. I can't remember if I had fallen asleep, or if I had just been really focusing on my book, but I looked up and the car was moving and my parents were going somewhere. They all decided to go to the LL Bean store and everyone got in the car (I was already there) and took off without saying a word to me about it. I had had no idea they were planning to go anywhere at all, and I was in the car barefoot with no shoes. When I pointed this out my Dad was of course angry - with me - and rather than turn around, apparently decided that he wasn't turning back but that I could stay in the car while they went in and looked around the store. (I was 10 or 11, and it wasn't hot - but just think of the number of things that would make a modern parent cringe! Lying in the back of a moving vehicle, leaving your child alone unattended in a car in summer, leaving your child unattended in a parking lot in a strange place ... the list goes on). Anyway, I clearly remember them leaving me there with my book to read and my mother buying me maple sugar candy, apparently as a guilt offering because I think she felt bad.

So I re-told the story to DH tonight, and he pointed out to me that LL Bean sells shoes. They could easily have gone inside, bought me a pair of flip-flops, brought them out to me, and I could have gone shopping with them. Problem solved. Would you believe that in 30 years, that solution had NEVER occurred to me.

And then I thought - any one of you girls would have done that. Probably left your DH in the car with the kid, gone inside, bought some shoes, and then the whole family could go in. Simple, not a problem.

No real point to this story, other than to either show how much parenting has changed, or to show that my dad was kind of a jerk. Either way! LOL...

Dad was going "I'm NOT buying her those overpriced shoes when she has perfectly good ones already!'

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Dad was going "I'm NOT buying her those overpriced shoes when she has perfectly good ones already!'
    Clearly you have met my father.

Maybe they had LL Bean embroider your initials on the flip-flops, and they forgot to pick them up?

In all seriousness, I do recall being left in the car a few times at that age. One time, in a car with my younger cousins, I took the car out of park and it roooooolllled. LOL. I wonder if the world is really as proportionally more dangerous today as we are more cautious with children.

Aw, that's kinda funny, Mandy. I remember once my mother decided on a whim that we were going to a theme park one day after we'd been to my grandma's. I guess we didn't wear our shoes to her house (we often went places without shoes-I tell ya, I am true blood hillbilly) because I remember my mom going and buying me and my sister some new tennis shoes from the General Dollar store. I had neon green and she had neon pink. I can still remember the smell of the cheap plastic soles of them.

We got back from soccer practice about an hour ago, and I'm still not thawed out! My toes are froooozen, but it was worth it because Travis won the trophy of the week for trying really hard. I love the transformation he's gone through with soccer. It's taken some time because he was so reserved before, but now he really works well with the other kids and joins in as good as anyone else.

I am trying not to freak out about a small bruise-like patch that is on my back. It's about the size of a dime and been there for about 3 weeks now without seeming to want to go away. It felt like dry skin before, so I didn't worry about it, but I guess I'm freaking out because it's still there and still discolored. I'm going to book an appointment on Monday. I guess my brain was dwelling on it last night because I then dreamed that I had small blisters all over my body! Ugh. A few nights ago, I dreamed that I was sucked up in a tornado and buried beneath some rubble...I have not slept well at all this week! Ack.