Page 1357 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 35785712571307134713551356135713581359136714071457 ... LastLast
Results 40,681 to 40,710 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Wow that is scary Chrissy

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

So my DH surprised me and seems to be really into getting the nursery together in June/July. He said he has a feeling our baby will come in late summer or early fall. I was feeling fall myself. First step is painting the room...it's grey right and while it's ok with the stuff I got, I don't want to keep it grey. Painting will probably be two weekends knowing us. And with new walls, they suck the paint. Another weekend will need to be a trip to Minneapolis...that is where Ikea is and babiesrus. I figure long as we are there buying furniture, might as well pick up the travel system I want....babiesrus is the only one that carries the color I want. At least with the van, we can get all the furniture and stuff home in one trip.

And maybe take a trip here http://www.cafelatte.com/desserts.html Cama....when you are up this way, if you get a chance....go here. Everything I have ever had there is fantastic.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    So my DH surprised me and seems to be really into getting the nursery together in June/July. He said he has a feeling our baby will come in late summer or early fall. I was feeling fall myself. First step is painting the room...it's grey right and while it's ok with the stuff I got, I don't want to keep it grey. Painting will probably be two weekends knowing us. And with new walls, they suck the paint. Another weekend will need to be a trip to Minneapolis...that is where Ikea is and babiesrus. I figure long as we are there buying furniture, might as well pick up the travel system I want....babiesrus is the only one that carries the color I want. At least with the van, we can get all the furniture and stuff home in one trip.

And maybe take a trip here http://www.cafelatte.com/desserts.html Cama....when you are up this way, if you get a chance....go here. Everything I have ever had there is fantastic.

Aw! I hope you'll post nusery pics!

Ill have to check it out. I'm going back possibly tomorrow, but more likely Friday. It will be a long while before I go again.

Chrissy, yesterday I had the same moment when I was having some coffee. It went down funny and I couldn't breathe. I was so panicked. I hate that feeling.

How exciting Jennifer! Oh Chrissy, I'm sorry you choked. That must have been scary!

L, I really like how you explained your internet time to DH. I'd have a harder time justifying Candy Crush, but I totally agree with what you said about what APA means to you.

Oh I will post pictures. I have been talking about it for a long time I think. Bought pretty much everything in this set maybe two years ago now? http://cf.mp-cdn.net/5e/7f/f29465ba4...27dbaa0fe5.jpg I have more than what is in the picture. LOL

Going with white furniture and the border halfway up the wall. Blue on bottom, yellow on top.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

OMG, Chrissy, how scary for you! I'm glad that you managed to dislodge it!

Oh I will post pictures. I have been talking about it for a long time I think. Bought pretty much everything in this set maybe two years ago now? http://cf.mp-cdn.net/5e/7f/f29465ba4...27dbaa0fe5.jpg I have more than what is in the picture. LOL

Going with white furniture and the border halfway up the wall. Blue on bottom, yellow on top.
    I still adore that Snoopy set!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Me too. I think it will be really cute. I have the matching rug, lamp, nightlight, switch plate. Every so often I will go in the closet and just look at it all. DH and I both grew up with Snoopy and I think Cosmo is sort of like Snoopy and Molly is part beagle. I just always had it in my head I was going to do a Snoopy theme.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Josh lost his first tooth today! It's been loose forever and the adult tooth was actually growing in behind it. I told him to keep wiggling it even though it makes me nauseous when he does it around me. He was wiggling it this morning and it came out! Whew!

And what will the tooth fairy leave at your house?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Chrissy that is scary.

Jennifer I love the Snoopy bedding.

yay for Josh losing his tooth. G keeps asking me when he will lose his first tooth LOL
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Probably not for over a year, Shelley! LOL
    I think she gives $5 for the first tooth, Chrissy.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Yay Josh!

Claire has two adult teeth coming in behind her bottom baby teeth. DH freaked out when he saw them, got his magnifying lens on, examined her mouth, asked me if it was normal, and scared Claire to death. I told him not to worry about it, that she was just growing up and getting some grown-up teeth. That got her all happy and excited. Later on I googled it and found out they're called shark teeth, and they're not uncommon. Her lower teeth are starting to get wiggly.

Shark teeth, how appropriate!
    Chrissy, I once choked on my own phlegm when I had mono. I woke up and tried to do the same think, hock a loogie, and also have never been very good at that plus my throat was so sore that I couldn't muster a lot of oomph behind it and it got lodged. Making myself puke is what saved me too. Sorry that happened to you! How are you feeling today?

My older brother loved the Peanuts and they did their first son's room in Snoopy style. It was very cute. I love cute nurseries, though I never did one myself. With Savana and Kai we were in 500 square feet and with Sawyer, also space issue and I knew I'd likely co-sleep anyway.

Yay Josh! Losing teeth is so exciting.

L, I love love love your siggy. That right there is Savana's dream come true. She has consistently told me for over a year now that all she wants in life is a stream to splash around in.

I just sent an email to Kai's martial arts instructor and I feel like a whiny whinerton (as Kai would say) Over the past few weeks he has increasingly let the next class of older children waiting to start their class, some of them there the whole time because they are siblings, he lets them join the little dragons. It really adds to the chaos, the waiting time for things they wait in line for and just takes the little ones completely out of their zone. It pretty much doubles the class size so instead of getting 4 chances to kick the bag, they only get 2. And instead of the teacher focusing on them and making sure their form is right, he's contending with all the kids in line. And frankly, not to be a piss ant but I presume we are all only paying for one class right? They get to join that one for free? I assume this because he only asks them to join sometimes, or at the end when they do the obstacle course. It's been bothering me lately and tonight when I was walking out I overheard the mom and dad of a very shy and gently boy say to each other that they wished it didn't get so chaotic at the end with the older kids. So I decided to send him an email. He's just such a happy go lucky dude, I feel bad. Would you guys have said something?

Congrats, Josh!

Chrissy, that is scary about the phlegm. I'm glad you were able to dislodge it but I can totally see how you'd be shaken up! What a freakish occurrence. I hope your cold is getting better.

Thanks so much for the input on the computer situation (of course, I'm behind reading it). L, I have talked to him a few times about how APA (and facebook, to a lesser extent -- I don't spend much time there, but I do spend a little, maybe 15 minutes a day) is my social outlet. It's the only place I can talk to other moms with similar interests and experience. I even had him read through one or two of our hilarious conversations. He gets it, but then again not really. He gets so much of his friend time and accolades at work, that even though on an intellectual level he can see how I don't get that and really can use a little camaraderie, I'm not sure it really sinks in. Like your dh once did, L, I also think that he believes everything I'm doing when I sit down at the computer is frivolous ... even though, like you, I'm often researching things for our home, and also looking up medical stuff, and even (gasp) working. And the time I spend online when he's home is really very little -- generally much less than an hour per night. It just seems that he's gotten a bug up his butt about that particular thing so that it's magnified in his eyes. I know that's something that's easy to do in a marriage -- to get sort of fixated on one thing that you resent and somehow it becomes a bigger deal than it should be -- which is why I'm hoping if I just lay low for a bit it will stop being at the forefront of his mind. For such a smart guy, he's really pretty simple. ;)

About the housework issue -- Bridget, I totally see where you are coming from and your issues sound a bit like mine (and I could just slap your dbf for walking through a room and complaining about the mess without picking up a thing... If I had a nickel for every time I tripped over one of dh's size 13 boats in the kitchen as I'm trying to cook!). My house really isn't very messy, although it could be more organized. -You guys probably think because I've mentioned it's not my top priority and that I think I could do better at it that it's really sloppy. But honestly it's pretty good most of the time. There are just a few things dh would like me to do differently/more often/more to his schedule, and has no problem mentioning. Which brings me to Jennifer's comments. I absolutely don't mind doing the lion's share of the work at home because I'm here, and part of taking care of the kids is cleaning up after them and doing the things that need to be done. But to expect that a mom of even one small child at home has "hours on end to clean" isn't very realistic, and I hope when your dh is home with your little one that you don't expect everything to be perfect, at least at first. Even one child at home takes up lots and lots of time, especially if you're trying to provide a rich and varied environment. Life is just busy, whether you're working outside the home or not. And we make a lot more messes because we're home playing a lot of the time, and we eat three meals at home every day. I know that next year, when she's in preschool part of the day, it'll be a little easier (though I hope to take on more work, too).
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Yeah, Bridget, I definitely would have said something. You're paying for the class and like you said, it's impacting the kids' ability to get the time in that they should. An email seems totally appropriate.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Chrissy, how terrifying! Glad you're okay.

Bridget, you were right to say something.

Gretchen somehow I never did picture your house as sloppy, even if your DH wasn't happy.

Christina, be serious. We you and your contributions in here.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

How weird you experienced the same thing B. i thought i was just a freak! And you were so right to say something.

I googled and found out about the shark teeth too! I was worrying anyway, even though it said it was common. I'm glad it came out because I was probably going to make a dentist appt. just to make sure. He is so excited about the tooth fairy.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Which brings me to Jennifer's comments. I absolutely don't mind doing the lion's share of the work at home because I'm here, and part of taking care of the kids is cleaning up after them and doing the things that need to be done. But to expect that a mom of even one small child at home has "hours on end to clean" isn't very realistic, and I hope when your dh is home with your little one that you don't expect everything to be perfect, at least at first. Even one child at home takes up lots and lots of time, especially if you're trying to provide a rich and varied environment. Life is just busy, whether you're working outside the home or not. And we make a lot more messes because we're home playing a lot of the time, and we eat three meals at home every day. I know that next year, when she's in preschool part of the day, it'll be a little easier (though I hope to take on more work, too).
    My comments were mostly based of my own childhood. My mom was at home when we were little but the house was also generally pretty clean. I think she is fairly organized but also said how much she liked being at home and that her job was taking care of us and the house. My dad was NOT a help. He would play with us and do man things like mow the lawn and shovel the snow that was about it. It wasn't until he retired and mom is still working that he finally vacuums and empties the dishwasher.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out for us. My DH will actually still be working but he will be home during the day. So I hope that he can sneak in some sleeping instead of cleaning. He is kind of a neat freak...not so much that it's spotless but that things are organized and in their place. I have a feeling we will mostly keep up with the chores we each do now. I only wish that he didn't have to work and would be here with me at night to help take turns and could pick up more of the house things....he really is a pretty good cleaner with most things.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah for Josh with the tooth! I am thinking $10 for first tooth and $5 after that.....wonder if Mr. Tooth Fairy will agree to it? LOL

Chrissy I haven't had the exact same experience but with the asthma, I am a choker. I keep water on me at all times. It is definitely one of the most scary feelings to not breathe. I actually wonder if 6 years ago I had something along whooping cough lines. I would start choking and it was awful, I couldn't hardly breathe, my face was red, I had drool falling out.....DH was so scared when I did that.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah for Josh with the tooth! I am thinking $10 for first tooth and $5 after that.....wonder if Mr. Tooth Fairy will agree to it? LOL

Chrissy I haven't had the exact same experience but with the asthma, I am a choker. I keep water on me at all times. It is definitely one of the most scary feelings to not breathe. I actually wonder if 6 years ago I had something along whooping cough lines. I would start choking and it was awful, I couldn't hardly breathe, my face was red, I had drool falling out.....DH was so scared when I did that.
    Yikes Jennifer!

I know by the time i thought to try to wake bobbie up, i wouldnt have made it to her room on the other side of the apartment. I keep feeling my throat and worrying if gunky stuff will build up again tonight. At least i know what to do, i guess.

Do you gargle with salt water, Chrissy? I find that usually helps stuff not build up.

Do you have a humidifier? That'll loosen things up. Hot shower right before bed as well. I hope you feel better soon!

Kai's martial arts teacher already messaged me back thanking me for letting him know and said he's relatively new to teaching the younger kids and will put an end to that happening right away. Gah, I hope it's not like a big announcement where he says they can't join anymore. I'll be over in the corner whistling and looking at the ceiling. lol

I hate it when I wait all day to talk to dbf and then he's all distracted and talking to other people in the background. I finished telling him the whole story about Kai's karate and then he responded with, "Hon, I gotta go. I just found an ashtray in my room and it's supposed to be a no smoking room."
    Allllrightythen! Nice chatting with ya.

Bridget, it's nice of him to take your concerns seriously.

Chrissy, glad you're okay. I've had a couple of food getting stuck incidents, but nothing like you experienced Even then, the panic is indescribable. On a related note, I was once driving, when the Lifesavers I was sucking on got swallowed, and stuck. After the initial panic, I realized that I could in fact breathe, and it was truly the mintiest breath I've ever had.

Jennifer, The Tooth Fairy is a dude?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Do you have a humidifier? That'll loosen things up. Hot shower right before bed as well. I hope you feel better soon!

Kai's martial arts teacher already messaged me back thanking me for letting him know and said he's relatively new to teaching the younger kids and will put an end to that happening right away. Gah, I hope it's not like a big announcement where he says they can't join anymore. I'll be over in the corner whistling and looking at the ceiling. lol

I hate it when I wait all day to talk to dbf and then he's all distracted and talking to other people in the background. I finished telling him the whole story about Kai's karate and then he responded with, "Hon, I gotta go. I just found an ashtray in my room and it's supposed to be a no smoking room."
    Allllrightythen! Nice chatting with ya.
    I'm glad the instructor was receptive. He probably didn't even think about the fact that the younger kids were losing time and simply wanted to include all the kids in some fun. But your point is valid, and I'm sure he'll follow through and it won't be a big deal. Stuff happens.

Can I please thump your dbf on the head just once?

So do you all remember how I was worried about Sawyer's speech? This morning he was playing with his motor vehicles and said to me, "This my digger. I can't sit on it. Too big right here," and pointed to his butt. And then I said, "Is that your train?" and he said, "Actually, it a bus."
    No more worries!

Aww! That is so cute Bridget! How old is he now?

Suja...I was referring to DH. LOL I have a feeling that I think the tooth fairy should leave that amount and I am willing to bet he will think it should be less.

So I didn't grow up eating lentils and beans. I mean I never had them until I had chili and that was within the past 10 years. I would like to learn to eat them but I have no idea what to do with them. I would prefer to stay away from canned if I can since I'm trying to get away as much as I can from BPA.
    I think I can tolerate chickpeas....those are the rounded white ones? Work has a soup those are in and they are ok. I know I don't care for hummus.
    Anyone have a favorite recipe or direction to point me in?

Ok so I was getting my hair cut last night and was chatting with my stylist and vacations came up which lead to bed bugs. She was telling me that another client of hers is a professional in that field and said that the best way to check a hotel room during the day is to whack the headboard and shake it. If any fall, the room has them. I guess that is one of their favorite places to hide during the day. I knew that but never could figure out how to check for them and didn't think to hit the top and shake it. So I will be doing that this trip and checked the mattress for stains and flecks.
    My stylist said she has done this a lot since she travels often and has only had one hotel where they found them and that was how she found them.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I like to put red kidney beans in lots of Mexican things to lighten it up. If I make chili or taco meat I add lots of beans and bell peppers so I only have to use a little bit of meat. I made tacos like this recently and they were delicious. I have to admit I've never cooked with chickpeas except to make hummus, and we used to make fried chickpeas at one of my jobs. I think we just used to soak them overnight and then toss them in a little flour, fry them in a fry daddy and toss them in salt and paprika when they were done.