Page 1336 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 336 836 1236 1286 132613341335133613371338 1346 1386 1436 ... LastLast
Results 40,051 to 40,080 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Chrissy, I found some stretch jeans at H&M not too long ago that have a high waist. Pretty comfy. I hate having to hike up the low-rise pants too (or have them slide off my butt while I'm bending over at the playground or something). Do you have an H&M anywhere near? Unfortunately I don't see them on their website, but they don't carry everything online.

Myles, I bet getting bits of trout out of your dog's ear was not something you ever really envisioned yourself doing.

Bridget, my super-nurser never responded well to any of my efforts to space out or shorten her sessions. If anything, she freaked out and wanted it more. I do think that trying to keep her busy and her mind off the milk was about the only thing that helped, but I'm not sure that was any less exhausting for me than just to have her latched all day. Even when she was almost 3, she never slowed down like I heard about other toddlers doing, and when I finally decided I was just too worn out to do it anymore, around her her 3rd bday, we just had to quit cold turkey. It took her two months to stop asking. That is not a very positive story to tell you -- sorry! I completely understand how it can just be too much. But it only took me a little while to start missing it and feeling nostalgic...

Jennifer, I want to see pictures of your new art too!
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Chrissy, I found some stretch jeans at H&M not too long ago that have a high waist. Pretty comfy. I hate having to hike up the low-rise pants too (or have them slide off my butt while I'm bending over at the playground or something). Do you have an H&M anywhere near? Unfortunately I don't see them on their website, but they don't carry everything online.
    I'm not sure. I've never heard of H&M, but I'm not exactly a shopper either. "We" had a Michaels for 8 years before I was aware of it. In my defense, the only places we have in my enitre county to shop are Family Dollar and Dollar General. Anything else we have to drive 15 miles away for.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Had a fun afternoon at the pool swimming with Krystal5 and Maiya! We got to hang out with them at the kiddie pool. Noe had a great time splashing around with Maiya in the water.

We did have an instance of the mortifying "runaway kid mouth" from Noe, though. In the changing room at the pool after swimming, we were waiting for a shower to open up. A very nice older woman was washing out her swimsuit while in her birthday suit. She was very large, and Noe was transfixed. At the first "Mom, look at that lady," I could see it coming. I jumped in (and so did Krystal5) with a hopefully-distracting "Yes, she's washing out her swimsuit! Because it's got chlorine all over it! And she wants it to be clean!" but of course, that didn't do it. "Mom, she's so big and fat!" Aaaghh... cue my fervent wish to be swallowed by a sinkhole right at that moment. Luckily, the lady was terribly sweet and took it in stride, laughing and saying, "Yes, I am!" I managed a "Isn't it interesting how we all have different-shaped bodies" response, but geez louise. I thought about apologizing to the woman, but it felt like it would be out of place since she took it well and moved on ... didn't want to make it a bigger deal. Any other good off-the-cuff responses to those cringey toddler statements? I have the feeling we'll be getting more, even though we talk about it not being polite to mention appearance, because she's just so talkative.

(and yes, we do avoid labeling people with words like "fat" at home, but I guess she heard it somewhere. We do sometimes call one of our kitties fat... wonder if I should try a different word for that too...)
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Awwww...we've all had those moments. My best advice is to keep a sense of humor. Children really do not have impulse control for a few years, so it's impossible for them to resist the urge sometimes. Most people are understanding. Those that aren't simply have issues and I wouldn't worry about them.

Did you guys see this?
    http://www.wsav.com/story/21866654/macon-students-fight-segregated-prom?fb_action_ids=10152688556765291&fb_action_typ es=og.recommends&fb_source=feed_opengraph&action_o bject_map={%2210152688556765291%22:258368887633123 }&action_type_map={%2210152688556765291%22:%22og.r ecommends%22}&action_ref_map=[]&ref=feed_open_graph&refid=28&_ft_=qid.58627523964 50660817:mf_story_key.-3929097870752342661

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Arrghh, yes. I have been trying to talk to the twins about using words like fat. I have told them it is not polite to comment on someone's appearance, unless you are going to say that you like what someone is wearing or how they have styled their hair or something like that. I tell them that it is better to compliment an aspect of character rather than appearance, since that usually is longer-lasting and that is what bonds us to our friends. I have told them that fat is an anatomical term, and that fat does exist as part of a body, so it can be used to describe tissue, but it is usually seen as an insulting or derogatory term and can make people feel bad.

DH thinks it's okay for the kids to be familiar with the word fat and think of it and use it, because he doesn't want them to grow up to be fat, but I have told them the far greater concern is that they'll be 8 years old and on diets. Despite a lack of media, C. has already told me once she thought she had a fat tummy, and she absolutely does not. I have no idea where she got that from. I have a pretty healthy body image compared to most women I know, and I want her to grow up loving herself as much as possible.

Fortunately, DH usually listens to me when it comes to parenting. He knows that I do a lot of research and that I don't pull these opinions out of thin air.

R. told me tonight that I was the most beautiful person in the family (he whispered this to me) and that he loved me. He asked me if I loved him more than anyone else. This was pretty unusual for him, since he normally makes no secret that he thinks DH is the cat's pajamas. Meanwhile, C. was in the kitchen writing notes for each of us with a heart saying "I love you." After a solid hour or two of being yelled at by little S., I felt all warm and loved and appreciated. It was wonderful.

Last night, DH was home for dinner and was talking to the twins about math at dinner. He was talking about negative numbers with them, and asking them about things like "What is 2 + -1?" and they were getting it every time. So then he asked them what 2 x -2= and R. said -4 and we were just amazed and R. was able to talk us through why he came to that conclusion and he was right. R's report card this time was still showing difficulty sitting still, but he is able to do a lot of math, including advanced math, including multiplication and squares, and he can explain it so other people can understand it. I am so glad his teacher appreciates him.

CamalamaRach, welcome so very much to our group. I'm glad you are here and I look forward to your posts. I just realized I have to finish this in a hurry so I don't have time to check back for your exact user name, so I'm mixing your screen and real names in a blend so I don't have to be precise.

Bridget, I can only wean by saying "you can only have some after _____" or whatever. S. still is milk-crazy, not nec. mama-milk, but he would subsist entirely on milk if I let him. I have to tell him he can have milk after he does something or after he eats something or after we go out or after 3 pm or whatever. I have to set limits and stick to them. Right now he can only have milk at breakfast and dinner, or he would drink milk all day and never eat.

Okay, have to run. I got home after a late meeting, had a late dinner, late kid bedtime, late dinner for me, late laundry, late chores, and now I have to run off to DH and then go to work in the early morning.

I don't have much day weaning advice either... Maiya reverse cycled at 3 months when I went back to work and never became a regular day nurser again... But I would probably do like L suggested. Good luck!

Jennifer, I want pics, too!

Chrissy, I wouldn't worry about it. "Fair" does not mean identical- that's one thing I've learned with my brother and I. People are different and things change! For the record, my mom did buy me a few maternity shirts- but they were my Christmas present!

We had so much fun with you, too! Thanks for meeting us- I know Maiya loved having a friend there. And thanks again to Noe for the birthday card! I will probably get to my pictures hopefully tomorrow night. Want me to email you some? If I have any good ones, want me to share one here?

And I think you handled her run away mouth well, and thankfully so did she. I tried, but haven't dealt with that yet, so wasn't much help, sorry! Though afterwards, while I was drying Maiya, she mentioned to me "Momma, people come in all shapes and sizes." To which I responded "Yes, aren't they beautiful?" Part of me wonders if, when she said "Look" the first time, maybe responding with "Isn't she beautiful?" would have been good. Or would that make the lady feel more awkward...? I don't know...

In my post in the main forums about swimming, one of the things I mentioned was that showering there is really good for Maiya- and that is a big part of the reason! I want her to see all different kinds of body shapes. The other part is what you saw with the shower- she hates it, so it's really good exposure!

Ok, I have a situation... Great timing after that pre-k thread where I said 3 is too early for religion...

Let me start by saying my mom is a WONDERFUL, sweet woman who does a great job respecting me as a parent and my parenting choices- even when she doesn't agree. She did CIO with me, and believed I should have with my horrible sleeper. Despite that, she took Maiya over night a few times, and sat up and rocked my screaming infant all night long so I could get some sleep. Wonderful woman!

She's also a wanna-be Christian. She goes through phases of being no religious at all, and then trying to be "a better Christian". She knows we're not in to that, and knows I'm not introducing Maiya to it, but I've never explicitly banned it, since she hasn't gone through one of her "better Christian" phases in a while, and I just never thought about it. I have explicity "banned" all commercial characters- and you don't get any more commercial than organized religion- but I never specifically mentioned it.

Anyway, I'm sure you can gather where this is going. We opened a few presents today, and some of what she got her were not one, but TWO Bible Story books. I swear an awkward silence fell over the room, haha.

As I said in the pre-K thread, I don't mind fictional stories- but I know my mom will treat these as fact, and that thought makes me cringe. No big deal, just don't read them, right? Well, my mom explicitly said she wanted one or both at her house, and Maiya spends a LOT of time there. I know with her current phase, she will make an effort to "teach" her with these books as much as possible- and Maiya loves to read, so that is a lot!

Luckily, both books "accidentally" got burried beneath all the birthday stuff and are still at my house. I really want to just let them sit in oblivion for a while, but I know my mom will not forget, as long as she's in this phase (and who knows how long it will last this time...). But I really need to address this now, because she's already started telling Maiya that my Grandma is in heaven (the most I tell Maiya is that no one knows what happens when we die), and especially with the introduction of these books, it's bound to only get worse before it gets better.

I'm just so sad I will be breaking my mom's heart. If she would just go back to her normal self sooner than later, I wouldn't have to do it, but as long as she's in this religious mood, I'm going to have to give her boundaries. She's over here telling me that she wants to take Maiya to church with her Sunday mornings (she went on Easter morning, and hadn't been for years before that, but I wouldn't be surprised if she started going again, for at least a few months), and how it would be "So wonderful to hear (Maiya) singing out loud and clear about the love of Jesus". Yes, that's a direct quote... Suffice it to say, I feel as though I have no choice, and I dread it!

In happier news... I finally found some local egg laying chickens! A friend of my mother in law's chickens have started laying eggs again, and I just bought a dozen from her. They are beautiful and so colorful, I am so excited! Maiya will LOVE her green egg!

We were just eating out on the way home from our vacation and a very, very large man walked in. I'd say 400+ lbs. I was on high alert for running mouths when I saw Savana look over and she said, WHOA! and then I could see her stopping herself and she said, "That man has a tiny but very handsome head!" Lol! I found that so adorable. She is such a sweetheart.

Ack, I wanted to say more but Sawyer is up...

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    R. told me tonight that I was the most beautiful person in the family (he whispered this to me) and that he loved me. He asked me if I loved him more than anyone else. This was pretty unusual for him, since he normally makes no secret that he thinks DH is the cat's pajamas. Meanwhile, C. was in the kitchen writing notes for each of us with a heart saying "I love you." After a solid hour or two of being yelled at by little S., I felt all warm and loved and appreciated. It was wonderful.

Last night, DH was home for dinner and was talking to the twins about math at dinner. He was talking about negative numbers with them, and asking them about things like "What is 2 + -1?" and they were getting it every time. So then he asked them what 2 x -2= and R. said -4 and we were just amazed and R. was able to talk us through why he came to that conclusion and he was right. R's report card this time was still showing difficulty sitting still, but he is able to do a lot of math, including advanced math, including multiplication and squares, and he can explain it so other people can understand it. I am so glad his teacher appreciates him.
    Awwwww!!! Those moments are what we live for.

And I can only say---woowww!!!! R is amazing! All your kids are, of course, but being math challenged I am super, uber impressed!!!

Wow, those are GREAT math skills! I don't even remember what to do with negative numbers. LOL

Ok so this is my take. I don't see anything wrong with the word fat. It is what it is. If a lady is ok being naked in front of others, she is likely pretty cool with her body. Those of us that are fat....we know it so it's not like a little kid saying it is really a big deal. At least it's not been to me when a little kid has said something.

Janet, sorry your mom has gotten all religious on you. No advice though because I would probably let my mom read the stories. I couldn't see my mom doing that but I could see my MIL doing that and will likely eventually be living with us so will have a lot of little dude contact. But I'm also not hardcore anti-religion either. I guess I went to sunday school or something and told my mom my heart was warm because jesus loved me. Okie dokie. I didn't go for all that long and was an atheist in college and agnostic now....though I do put up a nativity at christmas but really the baby and animals are so cute. LOL So not really sure that the early exposure did any harm or impacted me.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    I don't have much day weaning advice either... Maiya reverse cycled at 3 months when I went back to work and never became a regular day nurser again... But I would probably do like L suggested. Good luck!

Jennifer, I want pics, too!

Chrissy, I wouldn't worry about it. "Fair" does not mean identical- that's one thing I've learned with my brother and I. People are different and things change! For the record, my mom did buy me a few maternity shirts- but they were my Christmas present!

We had so much fun with you, too! Thanks for meeting us- I know Maiya loved having a friend there. And thanks again to Noe for the birthday card! I will probably get to my pictures hopefully tomorrow night. Want me to email you some? If I have any good ones, want me to share one here?

And I think you handled her run away mouth well, and thankfully so did she. I tried, but haven't dealt with that yet, so wasn't much help, sorry! Though afterwards, while I was drying Maiya, she mentioned to me "Momma, people come in all shapes and sizes." To which I responded "Yes, aren't they beautiful?" Part of me wonders if, when she said "Look" the first time, maybe responding with "Isn't she beautiful?" would have been good. Or would that make the lady feel more awkward...? I don't know...

In my post in the main forums about swimming, one of the things I mentioned was that showering there is really good for Maiya- and that is a big part of the reason! I want her to see all different kinds of body shapes. The other part is what you saw with the shower- she hates it, so it's really good exposure!

Ok, I have a situation... Great timing after that pre-k thread where I said 3 is too early for religion...

Let me start by saying my mom is a WONDERFUL, sweet woman who does a great job respecting me as a parent and my parenting choices- even when she doesn't agree. She did CIO with me, and believed I should have with my horrible sleeper. Despite that, she took Maiya over night a few times, and sat up and rocked my screaming infant all night long so I could get some sleep. Wonderful woman!

She's also a wanna-be Christian. She goes through phases of being no religious at all, and then trying to be "a better Christian". She knows we're not in to that, and knows I'm not introducing Maiya to it, but I've never explicitly banned it, since she hasn't gone through one of her "better Christian" phases in a while, and I just never thought about it. I have explicity "banned" all commercial characters- and you don't get any more commercial than organized religion- but I never specifically mentioned it.

Anyway, I'm sure you can gather where this is going. We opened a few presents today, and some of what she got her were not one, but TWO Bible Story books. I swear an awkward silence fell over the room, haha.

As I said in the pre-K thread, I don't mind fictional stories- but I know my mom will treat these as fact, and that thought makes me cringe. No big deal, just don't read them, right? Well, my mom explicitly said she wanted one or both at her house, and Maiya spends a LOT of time there. I know with her current phase, she will make an effort to "teach" her with these books as much as possible- and Maiya loves to read, so that is a lot!

Luckily, both books "accidentally" got burried beneath all the birthday stuff and are still at my house. I really want to just let them sit in oblivion for a while, but I know my mom will not forget, as long as she's in this phase (and who knows how long it will last this time...). But I really need to address this now, because she's already started telling Maiya that my Grandma is in heaven (the most I tell Maiya is that no one knows what happens when we die), and especially with the introduction of these books, it's bound to only get worse before it gets better.

I'm just so sad I will be breaking my mom's heart. If she would just go back to her normal self sooner than later, I wouldn't have to do it, but as long as she's in this religious mood, I'm going to have to give her boundaries. She's over here telling me that she wants to take Maiya to church with her Sunday mornings (she went on Easter morning, and hadn't been for years before that, but I wouldn't be surprised if she started going again, for at least a few months), and how it would be "So wonderful to hear (Maiya) singing out loud and clear about the love of Jesus". Yes, that's a direct quote... Suffice it to say, I feel as though I have no choice, and I dread it!

In happier news... I finally found some local egg laying chickens! A friend of my mother in law's chickens have started laying eggs again, and I just bought a dozen from her. They are beautiful and so colorful, I am so excited! Maiya will LOVE her green egg!
    I think in the end, your daughter is going to find her own belief system anyway. My own experience wth my daughters is that church didn't hurt them one bit. It didn't cause confusion or unnecessary guilt at all. And two are most definitely atheist and the other is 'spiritual' in that she really wants to believe there's something after life. My two older girls went to church with my father every Sunday for many years. I didn't really discuss religion then because I wasn't sure what I believed. By the time they started asking real questions (as in, more than just childish curiosity) I was a solid atheist and discussed my beliefs frankly with them. They weren't surprised, shocked, or impacted negatively at all. And they mostly agreed with me. So even though religion was something I rarely ever talked about, and they went to church regularly, my views still won out. Don't ask me how, I just know that's what happened to us.

Bridget - does he drink regular milk? I wonder if you could designate a special cup/sippie for him and for a while just hold him while he is drinking from that (emphasizing how much more he can see and do with the cup instead of nursing) and then if that works, let him have the cup but don't sit down with him, etc. Talk about how babies nurse and big boys drink from cups or something? It would be hard to have that going on all day and night. Maybe just lay it out and say he can nurse at night or during the day but he has to choose? Just somehow make it his choice.

L - glad you felt loved. And WOW on the math thing - he's smart!

Krystal5 - that's tough. I would let it lie until she brings it up and then have good idea of what I would say. Maybe that she is free to read her the stories as long as she doesn't tell her they are true? Or that it makes you uncomfortable and that those books can stay at your house so you can supervise?

We had a wonderful neighbor who used to sit on her porch and we would see her when we got drove into our driveway, so the comments on size that just seem to tumble out on sight were confined to the car and it gave me time to discuss commenting on appearance, etc. without the awkward witnesses. She died a few months ago and we miss her - she was a very cool lady.

I hate jeans shopping. hate hate hate hate hate it. worse than shopping for a swimsuit.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Where do I go to edit my signature? I used to just go to quick links, but I can't find it there anymore. TIA!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Quote Originally Posted by girlwonder View Post
    I hate jeans shopping. hate hate hate hate hate it. worse than shopping for a swimsuit.
    Oh, that's a tough call on that one. I'll have to think about that and whether I agree or not!!!

Although, I will say that once I find the 'right' bathing suit, that feeling is beyond anything I've ever felt finding the 'right' jeans.

Speaking of my jeans shopping experience that I cannot seem to shut up about (see how scared I am?!), I realized that the red/orange skinny jeans I did buy at what I thought was a bargain of 12.99 actually rang up at 3.50. I'm going to return the too-big-for-me 6's and get some more brightly colored ones!

Katy it's under settings at the top. Took me a while to figure it out the other day!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

thanks!

L - That's awesome! Both the love and the math skills. The concept of a negative number is not easy to understand in general, and at that age... just WOW!

Janet, we read religious stories at home. Actually, just yesterday, DD asked me if Krishna was pretend. I told her that some people think he's real, and some people think he's pretend. I don't intend to hide religion from her, and will continue to take her to temple, show her how to "pray", that sort of thing. At this stage for me anyway, it is cultural. I want her to be able to integrate into society when we go back home. FWIW, I grew up with a religious grandma (who is extremely well loved), went to temple religiously, attended religion classes, but grew up with parents that weren't particularly religious, and look where I ended up!

L, I am impressed by the math skills as well! I work with 10 year old kids who struggle with multiplication tables, so for him to be able to do that at his age is very impressive! That is so sweet that they were both loving up on you!

Chrissy, I looove shopping for clothes. I wish I could go shopping for all of you who don't like to go. I live in skinny jeans these days. The last ones I bought were a sky blue color and I really love them. I love wearing dresses mostly and that's what I wear to school for the most part. What I hate shopping for is house decorations. I looked around at our house the other day and realized that it looks so bare because both dh and I are not in to buying wall art or what-nots or anything like that. It lacks character, I think, so I have resolved to save up and to try to keep an eye out for little things that might make the house look more like a home.

I have had this week off work and next week as well, so Travis and I have been finding bits to clean every day. He has enjoyed helping me. My house has never been so clean! Of course, it will go back to its old state once I'm back at work after next week!

Regarding the religious stories, I wouldn't sweat it too much. They teach religion here in schools as a subject, and they've just recently been talking about christianity in Travis' class. He's been telling me all about Jesus dying on the cross recently. I just nod and tell him that it's an interesting story. I see it as Suja says about it being cultural. People grow up with it and it's good to know about it. I'm glad that Travis will learn about all sorts of religions at school; actually, I think I'll be learning a whole lot about relgion this year as I will be expected to teach it as a subject as well once I get my qualification next year!

I just spoke to my mom on the phone and she was telling me that my brother was pestering her for money again, so she hung up on him. I'm glad she did. I asked her about his tax return as they always seem to get thousands of dollars back and do the whole white trash thing of spending it all in a day on big TVs, electronics, etc. and she said she didn't know where the money went this year because he did get a big return but he hadn't bought anything flashy this year....I have my suspicions that he and his wife are probably hooked on prescription pain pills as 75% of the people on my mom's side of the family seem to be....where else could the money be going? It really frustrates me when he does this to them.

I'm too am SO impressed with sweet, smart little R!!! How did you introduce the concept of negative numbers? Did you use a number line? I'm afraid I'm going to be mostly dependent on DH (Mech.Engineer/minor in Math) for Bodhi's math instruction, and even then, I get a sense that he's more about the application of it and not the theory, because that's how he is in general. Which means my poor boy will have not-the-best people to talk him through the early concepts. Is there a website or book anyone can recommend that does a good job of going deeper into the theory for young minds? I'd like something that doesn't just say "there's such a thing as negative numbers" but also "here's why we need them". I can venture a guess, but I'd rather back my claims up.

Gretchen & Janet, your day at the pool sounds lovely. And you hit the weather just right, since today is rainy and cold and so was the day before yesterday! I'm trying to guess which pool you went to. I'm a big fan of Rinconada Pool in Palo Alto, which only goes to 3 ft deep, and has spouting jets, slides, water horses that spit water and, mushroom-shaped waterfalls for the kids to shower under. If you know of one that is anything like that, I would love to hear about it. I keep hearing good things about the one in Newark. Like Palo Alto, that's a bit far for me.

Janet, I know I'll be in your shoes at some point in your life. My suggestion is to dive RIGHT into the dialog and stay an active participant. If you know your mom is going to cover the Bible story with Maiya, read it to Maiya first and start talking about other stories from other religions' texts to provide Maiya with some balance. I was really excited to find this website that talks about World Religions at a child's level: http://www.uri.org/kids/world.htm I'm definitely going to use to give Bodhi some perspective on how many people believe many different things. Good luck with your mom! The hardest part is her hurt feelings, but she did violate your rules by giving Maiya those books to begin with.

I'm sorry Ash

Josh has been talking a lot about God lately. I'm not really sure why. I just always say "some people believe he exists and some don't" and his thoughts right now are that God does exist. I'm just letting it go. I'm interested to see how he works through it, actually

Oooh, that's a good link, Myles! I'm going to bookmark it!

I actually wish that I had been exposed more to religion, well the bible. I think it was a disadvantage in school, especially in college. It just comes up so much in literary discussions and other classes. A lot of the time I was like, huh? It just kind of went over my head since I have never read any part of the bible except Job (and that was required for class).

I love my MIL dearly....she is a Catholic though not really a good one (about to get their 3rd divorce) or practicing one. I said that I couldn't really stand behind a religion that wasn't friendly towards women. Her reply, oh you don't think the catholic church is friend towards women? And she was serious.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh, boy, Jennifer.

And Ash, I'm so sorry about your brother. It's worrisome and frustrating all at the same time!

You guys probably remember how I struggled when god kept coming up in the daycare. I cringed when my kids would speak up because I feared that the other children would go home and repeat it and it would seem like I was teaching it. We have always read religion stories from all over the world so the bible stories, to my kids, are just more myths. The major difference being that everyone else around us believes it to be true. They have asked me before why we are the only ones so sometimes I show them y'all's pictures and say, Look! More like us!

It's official. I'm going to have a "bionic" tooth, according to my dentist. And it's expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    I just spoke to my mom on the phone and she was telling me that my brother was pestering her for money again, so she hung up on him. I'm glad she did. I asked her about his tax return as they always seem to get thousands of dollars back and do the whole white trash thing of spending it all in a day on big TVs, electronics, etc. and she said she didn't know where the money went this year because he did get a big return but he hadn't bought anything flashy this year....I have my suspicions that he and his wife are probably hooked on prescription pain pills as 75% of the people on my mom's side of the family seem to be....where else could the money be going? It really frustrates me when he does this to them.
    Ugh. That really is so frustrating. I'm glad too that your mother hung up.

I'd love to have you shop for me! I'm not good with household decorations either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    It's official. I'm going to have a "bionic" tooth, according to my dentist. And it's expensive.
    Oh no.

I'm glad you're getting the tooth replaced Bridget. I think you'll think it's worth it in the end

I'm really happy that the people I mostly talk to share my views.

I think we had a discussion about dyscalculia in the past? One of my church friends on facebook posted something about how she thinks she has it and I started talking to her about how I relate to it too. She was so happy to have someone who understood her and I felt so glad that I could help her. So if I'm right in thinking we have talked about it in the past I wanted to say thanks for making me aware of it so I could help someone else If anyone knows ways to get around learning challenges like that I'd love to pass them on to her. She's trying to get through veterinary school and she's having some problems with the material.

I'd forgotten about that, but yeah...I'm certain I have dyscalculia. I hope she can find help. If she does, let me know. I don't really consider going on for a four year degree simply because it took everything I had (and 3 attempts) to get a B- in 200 level math. I do not think I could manage to pass anything more difficult. And I know I'm not dumb at all. I simply do not get it at all.

Ash I am sorry about your brother, I've been there with my own brother

Myles I am loving that link, thank you for sharing!

Bridget that stinks about your tooth

So I had high hopes for my MW appointment today and I knew I shouldn't have. She tried at two different intervals and neither time could she find a heartbeat She thinks it is due to my tilted uterus, but is having a radiologist in my town set me up with an ultrasound to ease my mind. Needless to say we are holding off telling people... again

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Chrissy...depending on the major but not all require math. I took some really super easy college math called applied math. it was probably more on level with junior high math or maybe even 6th grade. I only did it because I just didn't want to bother with a higher level math when it was necessary for me and I could focus on classes that were more important. I got as high in math in high school as calc. in 12th grade but I dropped it as it was 7:30 in the morning and I wanted to sleep in.

I would love to shop for you all in home decor. That is my favorite. I love walking through furniture stores and picking out various art pieces.
    One thing we like to do is try to pick up things while on trips. Like one vase we have is quartz that we got visiting a cave. Another piece we got visiting the aquarium in chicago.
    It would just be slightly more fun if DH and I didn't have to totally 100% agree on everything and he is really picky.

I don't necessarily buy to match something or have a theme most of the time....though the nursery does have a theme. I just buy items that we like and try to find ones that are attached to memories or "speak" to us in some way.

Bridget I'm sorry that it's going to be super expensive but I think in the long run it will be better off to get things cleared up and you will be happy that you went for the bionic one.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    So I had high hopes for my MW appointment today and I knew I shouldn't have. She tried at two different intervals and neither time could she find a heartbeat She thinks it is due to my tilted uterus, but is having a radiologist in my town set me up with an ultrasound to ease my mind. Needless to say we are holding off telling people... again
    When is your appointment?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Chrissy...depending on the major but not all require math. I took some really super easy college math called applied math. it was probably more on level with junior high math or maybe even 6th grade. I only did it because I just didn't want to bother with a higher level math when it was necessary for me and I could focus on classes that were more important. I got as high in math in high school as calc. in 12th grade but I dropped it as it was 7:30 in the morning and I wanted to sleep in.
    I don't think I can skip out on any math classes in my field. Computers and math seem to go hand in hand.