Page 1330 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 330 830 1230 1280 132013281329133013311332 1340 1380 1430 ... LastLast
Results 39,871 to 39,900 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

We did eggs today. I bought a Paas kit that went well and I put some oil in a couple of the colors. That effect came out nice on a couple of them.

Then we swirled food coloring into shaving cream and rolled eggs around in it. We have to wait until tomorrow to wipe them off and see how they turned out.

We got a last minute call last week from my aunt, inviting us up for Easter. Her son and his girlfriend are coming home for a visit and he told my aunt he wanted the whole family there for Easter. I'm thinking they got engaged. That would be awesome--she seems really nice.
    Last edited by daylilies; 03-29-2013 at 04:17 PM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

When I do paper/shaving cream I wipe it off immediately and it looks terrific. I even wash off the excess shaving cream and it's still beautiful.

http://blog.lyds.org/2009/08/10/shaving-cream-cards/

Ahhhh L, R and C are so little and so freakin cute!
    And thanks for the shaving cream idea -- it looks so pretty. We'll try it for sure.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Oh that is awesome L! I will have to try that sometime. Josh has already gone to bed so I'll wait until morning to wipe it off anyway.

Oh look at little C and R!!! Blast from the past...

We planned NOTHING for Easter. Then we got invited to the Easter Egg Hunt on St Patrick's Day, and she got some stuff there. Then she stayed with a friend for a while, and they decorated eggs cut from paper with markers, glue, and glitter. Then at school, the first day, they made big eggs cut from paper and painted, and then the second day, they made Easter baskets, with paper eggs glued together. For not planning anything, we've sure done a lot!

I have no idea if I missed something in her life, or if this was truly random out of no where, but this morning Maiya said to me "When will I get to go to a parade?" What? How'd she even know the word "parade"???

Anyway, I figured that since it's Easter weekend, there MUST be a parade somewhere, so I googled. Found a cool sounding Spring Festival that has a parade, games, rides, a petting zoo, and pony rides. Maiya is SO EXCITED TO GO. So, weather and health permitting, we will be going there on Easter Day! Again, so much for having nothing planned...

I just took the bait from a conservative friend who posted one of those stupid Facebook memes that said something about a sign saying don't feed the animals as they become too dependent and compare it to people on food stamps. I tried to be as nice as possible as I am not one for confrontation, but I am a little fed up with the religious people on my friends list being so nasty and mean. It feels like none of them want to remember Jesus saying it's harder for a rich man to get in to heaventHan for a camel to go through an eye of a needle or that you should give your neighbor the clothes off your back if they needed them.

Oh, Ash I agree. I cannot believe how many "christians", even in my own family, act disgusted by the less fortunate.

Uggg hypocritical religious people drive me nuts. Call me crazy but it seems like if one says they are christian they should at least TRY to be kind, caring and compassionate.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Janet, there is a Easter derby parade on Lakeshore today that we're probably going to unless it's too rainy.

http://www.lakeshoreoakland.com/26th...ring-festival/

Lydia, I wiped the dyed shaving cream off the eggs and not a lot of it stuck. Maybe I didn't use enough dye? I just used a few drops and swirled it in. It looked vibrant but not much of it soaked into the egg.

Josh loves parades!

Yes, it's the hypocrisy that I can't stand... Completely ridiculous! But I've noticed that seems to go hand in hand with organized religion...

L, thanks for the link! We did go. It was small and low key, perfect for a girl who is not feeling well today. I'm hoping she's just burnt out from being SO busy this week... She actually fell asleep in the car on the way home, so now I'm sitting here in the car with her while she sleeps, looking for something to do! Maybe I should nap, too...

Well I do know some people who do try to walk what they preach and say they believe. But of course there are those who are so christian....and than behave just totally opposite of WWJD.

So I made some taco lasagna tonight (which could be totally gluten free Bridget....mine wasn't but only because my taco seasoning isn't). it was really good. And I made mexican rice....and that turned out great. In fact DH was like, if you told me we had gotten this as a restaurant as takeout, I would have totally believed it. He was that impressed with the quality and flavor.
    I am getting better at a rice dish on the stovetop.....I need to stop checking it and lifting the lid. LOL

I haven't had pasta in a week! I am still having bread but just 2 slices a day for a sandwich. Will probably have a spaghetti night this week.

OMG, I discovered KIND bars. holy cow are those good. I will have to order some more from amazon as they are cheapest and the stores here mostly carry just a few flavors and they are out of date or close to it. These will be perfect for the road trip.

I also ordered this today http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...5/product.html Thanks for the suggestion Suja! Wasn't my favorite but all my favorites got shot down and I didn't care for DH's top choice. But this was one we both liked and think that the colors will work well in the room. Bad part will be hanging the thing. DH is a perfectionist....but isn't the handiest. Probably will be some crabbiness and swearing going on.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Congrats, Jennifer - that's a nice piece. It will look really good.

I love Kind bars -- the coconut and almond are my favorite. Like a candy bar, but yummier!
    The taco lasagna sounds really good.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I am such an idiot. I heard taco lasagna, and immediately thought about substituting tavo shells for lasagna. Martha Stewart, I tell ya!

I didn't go to the hat parade, despite having had the kids create the hats over the past week. I'm so sorry, Janet. Today was a fiasco. I'm glad you went, though.

My dad got here. It looked semi-rainy, like it was going to rain before the parade started. DH said maybe we should go to a science museum instead. The kids got super-jazzed about it. We waited and tried to call my mom, who was supposedly on her way. Couldn't get ahold of her. Then my sister called and said that the other friends who were in town wanted to go to the Adventure Playground. We asked the kids if they would want to meet them there instead of going to the science museum. They said okay. My dad got them to sign an agreement saying they'd go there. My mom finally called back and had to change out of her parade outfit into a playground outfit.

We drove to the Adventure Playground. DH took my dad, who made the trip bad for various reasons. Then we got there and DH tried to watch the kids and my sister ran up to my DH and asked him to push her on a swing. "WHAT?" DH felt like he was watching the kids plus my dad and my sister. At one point I walked over to the car with S., as DH had asked me to, to get snacks, and DH walked over to the group of other adults and snapped at them because they didn't know where Claire was. I reminded him later that they are not her parents and it is often harder with multiple adults around to watch the kids. It is our responsibility to take care of them, and that if he needs them to help, he needs to ask. He said he was too busy and they should have known. It was all downhill from there. He ate some of the kids' snacks because there was no food for him and he kept snapping at me and everyone knew he was angry. I was too upset at him for being angry at everyone, and I kept waffling between trying to make him feel better and being upset at him for being a jerk.

I told him to just leave and go get something to eat and get some quiet time. He refused because obviously there needed to be more supervision. So then I took S. to the bathroom and when I was gone my dad took his shirt off and went swimming in the Bay and the twins followed him in (not knowing how to swim) and Claire fell in the water and got soaked head to toe. R. only got wet up to his waist. I had a change of clothes for the kids in the car, but not for my dad. I put a waterproof changing pad under him in the front seat and asked him if he wanted the kids to follow him into the water.

I sent DH off to get food on the way home and my dad decided to go off and take a nap. So I warned him to avoid the poison oak this time. He came back at 4:30, too late to do anything else during the day. He played for a while, abandoned Claire in the back yard and made her cry, and left at bedtime to do it all again tomorrow. DH meanwhile did a bunch of work in the bedroom and hopefully is not as mad at me or anyone else as he was earlier in the day. I'm ready to have him not go to the Easter party tomorrow, it was so awful today. It's not just that it was unpleasant, but that everyone saw his irritable side today and didn't see his sweet and charming and interesting side.

Mmm... Taco lasagna sounds yummy!! Congrats on picking out a piece. That's exciting!

L, no worries. It was a great day for us, and it's probably better you didn't get exposed to us. Sometime around 2 or 3 Maiya started acting really tired, and we've been busy, so I didn't think much of it. She fell asleep in the car on the way home, and then I started to worry, but still had hopes that she was just tired from our long week. Well, she woke up in a HORRIBLE mood and screaming and crying and coughing and sneezing and whining. Obviously, she didn't catch it there, but she was definitely carrying the virus and probably exposed everyone. I feel so bad!! I am just glad we didn't expose you.

But, I am SO sorry your day was so rough. Why was your husband in such a bad mood???? Ugh, I hate when men act worse then our children...

Mine was such a butthead today, but he sure was acting like a 13 year old... First, he stayed up till 1 AM last night, then was too tired to get up this morning, so he missed the morning with us. He did, however, manage to drag himself out of bed just in time to go to the festival with us. Once there, however, he didn't DO anything with us. Just kind of sat around and didn't interact with me or Maiya. He was a total dud. I felt like he spent the entire time on his phone (he "liked" a picture I put up of Maiya in her Easter hat, but didn't say anything in real life... Sigh...), but he says he wasn't on it that much. Either way, he wasn't really with us, either.

Finally we get home, and Maiya fell asleep in the car. She is IMPOSSIBLE to transfer, so I stayed in the car with her, while hubby went in. Naturally, he fell asleep. She woke up less than an hour later. He woke up 4 hours later.

So, he gets ONE day a week with us, because Sunday is his day to do his own thing. Maiya slept till 10:20 (should have been my first sign she might have been sick...), napped about an hour, and was asleep again at 8. This means he had less than 9 hours of the day to spend with her, and the first 3 he was not involved, and then 3 more he slept through. That's nearly half the day, wasted.

But, that's who he has become since we got married (not before, or else we probably wouldn't have gotten married...), and I have learned to deal with it. What irritates me is that, tonight, he said he was glad he got to spend the day with us. I said that maybe next time he shouldn't sleep through nearly half of it. His response? "So even when I spend time with you, I'm just not good enough?" And he's been pouting all evening. Went to be at 9 PM... I think Maiya is more mature than he is... She, at least, can handle constructive criticism better!!!

That's frustrating! The only thing I thought at the end was just to ask if he actually knows how to spend time with his family? If he doesn't do it a lot and you are pretty streamlined as a team, perhaps he feels there's not an easy place for him besides silent bump on a log. Maybe next time he could be in charge of where you go and for how long, etc.? I don't know the dynamic of history, so please forgive me if I am off base here. Some are simply uninterested, but some I think are shy to ask about how they can fit in.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Not off base at all, thank you for the input!

I have asked him, we've talked about this a lot. After we talk, he always does better. For a little while. Last we talked was "a little while" ago... I know he CAN interact with us, it's just outside his comfort zone, so after a week or two of interacting, he goes back to not wanting to interact. He wasn't like this when we dated, and in fact, still isn't like this with other people. He can really be very sweet and interesting and charming- just not with us.

I think it is because he is shy. Not shy to ask, but shy to actually interact. He can put on a great show- sometimes. Like when we have company, or when we were dating. But he doesn't have the energy to do more on a regular basis. He doesn't like being "silly", which includes, say, decorating the easter hat we made today, or anything with her, really. He doesn't like "debating", which would be any adult discussion. So, that leaves sitting on the side lines where he's more comfortable.

Which I can handle. I don't like it, but I can handle it. It's the immaturity and pouting when I tell him the day is better spent together if he does NOT sleep. Grr.

Sounds like maybe he's an introvert and really needs some time to himself? Not to say that you don't - or that he should have large amounts of time alone when you are entertaining Maiya - but it might be something internally that he is driven to seek out.

I know personally, I'm an extreme introvert. I can be very social at work and in fact, talk all day long. Then I come home and I NEED to shut off for a while. It's draining to keep that up. It sounds as though it's an effort for him to maintain that social face and he needs to "recharge his batteries" so to speak. In my case, that doesn't mean I don't want to spend time with DH, it just means I need to pace myself. I bet he is similar, from reading this.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Yes, Mandy, I think that is exactly it. But we still need family time, ya know? I don't know how to get through to him that it is, indeed, ok to have time alone, but we also need time. And that needs to be QUALITY time. I don't care if we only get a few hours a week, we need to feel like we are the MOST important thing to him in those few hours.

But, even with that, as I said, I can accept that that is who he is. But the pouting makes me mad. Even if he refuses to stop sleeping during the only time we have together, then just talk to me. Don't pout and mope and hide in the bedroom... A simple "Yeah, I'm sorry I slept through our day again. I've just been so drained..." would have been fine.

Oh, there are definitely better ways to handle it than pouting! I'm with you there.

And he gets all day sundays to do his own thing? Yeah, I.d be very hurt that he didn't put m poo re effort into family time.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I am such an idiot. I heard taco lasagna, and immediately thought about substituting tavo shells for lasagna. Martha Stewart, I tell ya!
    LOL Well it is layered like lasagna and has cheese like lasagna and meat and tomatoes (salsa).....but totally mexican in flavor and not italian at all. And if you use corn tortillas and not flour and make sure the taco seasonings are GF, it's a pretty easy G-free meal.
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 03-31-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Long Dad visit weekend and the six-hour Easter brunch is over. Whew!

I did try the silk tie eggs. DH got a little unhappy with me, but he hasn't worn a tie in years and I picked the worst one. They turned out nice:

I also tried the plants and flowers wrapped in nylons in a pot of black beans. Not so great.

And these were the blown eggs we did this year:

Thank goodness we did a variety, because my dad bumped into the Easter egg tree and knocked the whole thing over, shattering eggs we've made over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Oh, there are definitely better ways to handle it than pouting! I'm with you there.
    I totally agree with this. And even if he is an introvert, he'd still need to dedicate some of his "extroverted time" to his family. I am an (outgoing) introvert. I most prefer time spent alone, and feel like I make a somewhat forced effort to be a part of my community. Anyway, there are times I reserve for being "on". Work is one of them (when I have to be in meetings or friendly to co-workers, at least. Luckily roughly half of my work is spent heads-down.) Being with family is another one of those times, well - particularly with B. I can't tell you how many times I've had to be thrilled at the most mundane thing, but I do it 'cause I love my kid and it is kinda cool in its own way that kids feel genuinely stoked on things that others might call boring minutia.

L, the part about J expecting the other adults to know he needed them to watch Claire... that's not entirely fair. I'm sorry he had a dark cloud over his head. As someone with a cloud over her head today, I can relate. But I wouldn't expect people to be mind readers or share my priorities. At least it sounds like your family was all together today, and that's something to be thankful about. Your sis sounds like she was being playful with J.

DH and I had a near collective heart attack today, coming down an escalator with Bodhi (we met friends in the city). He screamed about halfway down. I looked and saw the toebox of his shoe was stuck in the space between the step and the side wall. At the time, I thought his toe was also in that toebox, but I think it was the fact that the shoe is loose that caused the shoe to get stuck in the side. I saw us nearing the bottom of the escalator and his foot was still stuck. I had terrible visions of him getting crippled for life... or worse if we got to the bottom. I finally took one hand behind his calf and took the top of his foot in the other and gave it a thrust sideways towards him, and it finally gave. It probably wasn't as bad as I thought. Perhaps his foot would have come free regardless if we'd gotten to the bottom. But I didn't know that, in the heat of the moment. And escalators kind of freak me out anyway. I seriously needed a quaalude after that experience.

LOVE the silk tie eggs, L!!

Suja - HELP! I noticed puppy has started marking in the house. This is new as of this week, so far as I can tell. He has been solidly housebroken for months and we haven't had an accident in ages but just recently I've seen him just quickly spray.

Do I handle it the same way I would housebreaking? I reacted just by telling him firmly "no" and putting him outside immediately. He's still crated at night and penned during the day if we're out, and we still have much of the house blocked off so he can't reach it anyway. We're still firmly in puppy mode until he outgrows the chewing.

I don't want to neuter him too young. Nero was neutered at 8 weeks and that was one of the risk factors for the cancer he had. He never, ever marked but then again dying young isn't an acceptable compromise to get rid of the marking. I was planning to wait until maybe one year. Should I just deal with the behavior until he is old enough?

L, those eggs are great! Glad today seems to have gone better. I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    And he gets all day sundays to do his own thing? Yeah, I.d be very hurt that he didn't put m poo re effort into family time.
    Yes, yes, yes. This drives me crazy. I even remind him "You have all day Sunday to yourself, you can sleep then if you want." His answer? "I don't have Sunday to myself." He spends most Sundays playing volleyball, which is his only activity outside of work, and his only physical acitivity practically ever, so I definitely WANT him to go to volleyball. But if needs the sleep, I'd rather he sleep on his day, than on our family day.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I totally agree with this. And even if he is an introvert, he'd still need to dedicate some of his "extroverted time" to his family. I am an (outgoing) introvert. I most prefer time spent alone, and feel like I make a somewhat forced effort to be a part of my community. Anyway, there are times I reserve for being "on". Work is one of them (when I have to be in meetings or friendly to co-workers, at least. Luckily roughly half of my work is spent heads-down.) Being with family is another one of those times, well - particularly with B. I can't tell you how many times I've had to be thrilled at the most mundane thing, but I do it 'cause I love my kid and it is kinda cool in its own way that kids feel genuinely stoked on things that others might call boring minutia.

L, the part about J expecting the other adults to know he needed them to watch Claire... that's not entirely fair. I'm sorry he had a dark cloud over his head. As someone with a cloud over her head today, I can relate. But I wouldn't expect people to be mind readers or share my priorities. At least it sounds like your family was all together today, and that's something to be thankful about. Your sis sounds like she was being playful with J.

DH and I had a near collective heart attack today, coming down an escalator with Bodhi (we met friends in the city). He screamed about halfway down. I looked and saw the toebox of his shoe was stuck in the space between the step and the side wall. At the time, I thought his toe was also in that toebox, but I think it was the fact that the shoe is loose that caused the shoe to get stuck in the side. I saw us nearing the bottom of the escalator and his foot was still stuck. I had terrible visions of him getting crippled for life... or worse if we got to the bottom. I finally took one hand behind his calf and took the top of his foot in the other and gave it a thrust sideways towards him, and it finally gave. It probably wasn't as bad as I thought. Perhaps his foot would have come free regardless if we'd gotten to the bottom. But I didn't know that, in the heat of the moment. And escalators kind of freak me out anyway. I seriously needed a quaalude after that experience.
    I agree, Myles. He is getting better at it, over all, especially with Maiya. I guess he's still learning how to include family time in his "on" time. And I'm really, really trying to help him figure that out before he damages his relationship with what is looking like will be his only child any further than it already is damaged. I'm trying to do it nicely, but how can I nicely say "You're not as invovled with us lately, and you're sleeping during our time more", without him being able to respond with "So nothing I do is good enough???" Did I mention he pouts??

But, despite all my whining, he really is a good man and husband, and is learning to be a better Dad. One reason I fell in love with him is his willingness to listen to me and at least "try" (even though sometimes it's not a very energetic try...) to work things out with me. I know we can get through anything because of this. And in his credit, despite pouting like a preteen last night, he came to me today and apologized and we talked (for real this time, without him pouting and going to hide in his room) and it was good. He even apologized for being so stubborn and pouting first before coming around and really hearing what I'm saying.

And I would have been TERRIFIED, too!! I'm so glad he came free and it seems like it wasn't as close of a call as it might have been. Ugh. I am paranoid with Maiya on escalators, I don't know why. I'm not paranoid about many things, but those worry me. I still lift her by her arm so her feet get no where near the bottom... When her toes accidentally touch them (as is happening more frequently now, since she is 40 inches and 35 lbs, my little giant...), my heart skips a beat...

Mandy, are you sure it's marking? Our male dog was potty trained early on, and only ONCE (well, one period of time) started lifting his leg on things. It wasn't marking, though- he had crystals in his urine. Once we got that cleared up, he never did it again (and it's been 5 years).

If it is marking, my first thought would be to make sure he knows you are alpha. Are you training him? Regularly?

That sucks, though, hang in there! They're worth it, they're worth it....

He definitely knows DH and I are alpha ... I admit that I don't schedule regular training sessions, though. I take more of a deal with behaviors as they arise naturally approach and it's working, but I could stand to be more structured in my training. By that I mean that as we play or eat or do other daily activities, I work on skills like sitting or listening to my commands, and when I catch him in a negative behavior I correct it. But I'm not big on "formally" setting aside time just for training.