Page 1329 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 32982912291279131913271328132913301331133913791429 ... LastLast
Results 39,841 to 39,870 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Glad she is OK!!!!

ETA: She is going to have a September baby
    Last edited by Smplyme89; 03-29-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Chrissy, glad Jesi and the baby are fine.

As for Missy, try a long line, a light one. And standing around the corner, so she can't see you. Lots of dogs won't do their business if they feel watched. Also, she will eventually have to go, so it's a matter of waiting it out. It's likely not worth the risk of her getting run over by something, letting her off leash.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Whew! They always say threatened miscarriage when there is any bleeding. My twins were a threatened miscarriage around that same time period. It's still not easy to relax with it, though.

My dad is coming into town this evening. We are having an Easter brunch and egg hunt at my mom's house on Sunday and a ton of people are going to be there. Any of you are welcome to come, too. We've reached the critical mass where a few more people won't make a difference. We don't even have a head count. I keep hearing about more and more people there. My mom invited a college buddy that she just re-discovered who plays in a band in Sausalito. My high school best friend and his partner are coming. My sister's best friend from her childhood and her family are coming from Oregon. My uncle and aunt are coming. Another aunt may or may not come. A young cousin and her boyfriend are coming. My mom has been getting emails from people saying that they can't make it, and she didn't even know they were invited.

So I'm going to double up on the breakfast casserole and muffins I was going to bring, and now I think I have to make something else as well. I'm trying to put together a shopping list.

Oh goodness L! I hope you all have a great time! I'll have to decline, sorry. Although I don't have any Easter plans myself.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

L that sounds hectic, but lovely! We don't have any Easter plans so far.... That's what happens when your procrastinator of a husband says he wants to make plans with his family, than proceeds to put off asking everyone what they are doing

I wish I had some easter plans. Last year it was very spring like and we had family and friends over and I hide eggs for the kids. I had decorations out and a themed table.

This year, we still have a foot of snow on the ground. Nobody coming over. I think DH and I will make and frost cookies and that is about it. I have family visiting in three weeks and will probably do an easter dinner that weekend...ham and cheesy potato casserole and rolls.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Chrissy, I'm glad to hear Jesi is ok. I hope the blood draw shows healthy sticky baby hormones!

L, that sounds crazy and fun. I really like those types of parties where they just get bigger and bigger. Seems like it always ends up a really good time. My parents are coming up from SoCal to spend the weekend with us, or we'd hop on over (get it... hop... I crack myself up). We're really just going to have a low-key weekend, I think. Hiding eggs, eating food ... we're brining and bbqing a turkey for Easter dinner this year, which we usually don't do but we had a free turkey from dh's work in the freezer taking up space. I was puzzled about what to make with turkey for a spring dinner -- didn't want to do the typical fall stuff. So we're having apple-brined, hickory-smoked turkey, roasted new potatoes, grilled asparagus wrapped in prosciutto, fresh peas, and mixed greens with strawberries and goat cheese. Nearly threw my back out hauling a giant sack of peas, potatoes, asparagus, strawberries and eggs from the farmer's market yesterday. It's funny about peas -- buy a ginormous sack of peapods, shell them and end up with one bowl of peas. But they're so sweet - these are our first of the year and I'm not sure they'll make it to Sunday dinner. Noe's been eating them like candy.

There's an egg hunt Saturday morning at a neighborhood community center, but it would be our first time and from what I hear it's kind of crazy, like if you're even 2 minutes late you miss out and it's basically a horde of kids racing around for the eggs and taking each other out like in the Hunger Games. I don't think we're ready for that.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I'm taking off work early today and doing an egg hunt with B, Santi & Santi's mommy in the afternoon. B already did an egg hunt at the mall last week, when I took him there for an Easter themed kids' night. We dyed eggs two nights ago when DH was working late and had a really great time together in the process. We had gotten a "tie-dye" egg pack from a box store and it was basically a kit with a dropper included. So we placed droplets of dye on an egg, then blotted. Dropped more on, then blotted. Then we shook glitter and glued sequins on them. B decided to color a few with crayons before dipping too. They turned out really purrrrty.

The rest of the weekend, we're trying to decide what special thing to do for Easter Sunday. One year we went snowboarding. Last year we went kayaking. We might have a little guest stay with us overnight on Sat because I offered to take in my pregnant friends' 4 year old son so they can have some time for themselves. I'm not sure yet if that'll happen. I love having Bodhi's friends over. I have to say it's one of my favorite things. I love it when one of his little friends run up to me with arms open to give me a hug because he's excited to see me.

Whatever we do, it sounds like we're not going to be eating half as well as some of you ladies. I've been having a hard time deciding on what I feel like eating lately.

Crissy... fingers crossed that things stay sticky and positive for Jesi!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Here is another recipe (I made it last night) that I put on jasmine rice. It's yummy. DH loves it. R. loves it. C and S turned up their noses.

Thai style ground beef.

I decided to add caprese pops to my menu for Easter. They look easy, elegant, and yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    I'm taking off work early today and doing an egg hunt with B, Santi & Santi's mommy in the afternoon. B already did an egg hunt at the mall last week, when I took him there for an Easter themed kids' night. We dyed eggs two nights ago when DH was working late and had a really great time together in the process. We had gotten a "tie-dye" egg pack from a box store and it was basically a kit with a dropper included. So we placed droplets of dye on an egg, then blotted. Dropped more on, then blotted. Then we shook glitter and glued sequins on them. B decided to color a few with crayons before dipping too. They turned out really purrrrty.

The rest of the weekend, we're trying to decide what special thing to do for Easter Sunday. One year we went snowboarding. Last year we went kayaking. We might have a little guest stay with us overnight on Sat because I offered to take in my pregnant friends' 4 year old son so they can have some time for themselves. I'm not sure yet if that'll happen. I love having Bodhi's friends over. I have to say it's one of my favorite things. I love it when one of his little friends run up to me with arms open to give me a hug because he's excited to see me.

Whatever we do, it sounds like we're not going to be eating half as well as some of you ladies. I've been having a hard time deciding on what I feel like eating lately.

Crissy... fingers crossed that things stay sticky and positive for Jesi!
    I always loved having my kids friends over as well. Even as teens, they're a ton of fun to hang out with or just have around. It doesn't happen as much as it did just a couple years ago. I miss it.

Hmmm....I wonder why you're having a hard time knowing what you feel like eating lately?

I have no plans. It's dawning on me that this Sunday is Easter, and it's Rich's turn to have Conner. He hasn't mentioned anything about me being there for dinner, so this will be the first official holiday without being with my kids. It kinda hurts.

These are some of the eggs we've done so far this Easter. We've done a lot of other things in the past, and my mom has saved them (we usually work with blown eggs), so I like to do different things every year. Claire is doing a lot of the stickers. We tried putting postage stamps on some of the eggs (saw it on Martha Stewart) and my grandma, who collects stamps, even sent me some, but those turned out terrible. They wouldn't contour to the eggs very well.

Very pretty eggs L.

I just realized I never picked up the kit to decorate eggs....

and I'm not even sure I have eggs....

Oy, mommy fail....

You can also cut large ovals out of construction paper or even regular paper and paint or color them or put stickers on them. There are tons of ways to decorate eggs without having eggs around. R. drew this at school the other day:

and ever since then the children have been making their own eggs and coloring them and stickering them and leaving them all over the house.

That's an awesome idea L!

I have a hard time figuring out stuff to do with Nolan on the Holidays... He's still so young and not all that interested in crafts since he still wants to stick everything in his mouth

I love the one with the handprints the most, L!

Do your kids have an ok time handling the blown eggs? Bodhi broke a few that weren't even blown!

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Hmmm....I wonder why you're having a hard time knowing what you feel like eating lately?

I have no plans. It's dawning on me that this Sunday is Easter, and it's Rich's turn to have Conner. He hasn't mentioned anything about me being there for dinner, so this will be the first official holiday without being with my kids. It kinda hurts.
    Oh, that's so sad. Hopefully you'll have some of your loved ones nearby (though a nice long bath in a quiet house wouldn't be so awful either.) Is Rich doing anything special for Conner on Sunday?

Not quite sure why I can't sort out what I want. I know I want something to eat but nothing specific seems appetizing. It's kind of like those times you've let yourself not eat for too long. And then you get to a restaurant with a huge menu and, you've waited so long, but suddenly you can't decide what would be the exact thing you want to put in your tummy at just that moment. I've been feeling like that ALL the time this past week.

SCUBjia! We are almost home, stopped for lunch and Sawyer is asleep so him and I stayed in the car. Sweet silence.

Chrissy, I hope J's appts continue to show baby is doing well. That must have been terrifying.

Christine, congrats! Glad to see you back.

Katy, are you going to the lake too? I am probably overprotective as well but that scene would worry me too. Sorry she has been difficult. Kai is giving me a run for my money these days too.

I recently read a blog post by a mom that vowed not to yell at her kids for a year unless they were in danger. I'm in. I hate myself when i yell and feel like i have been doing it too much, with Kai testing me. But truth be told it doesn't work, raises the noise level in my house, and makes me feel like crap. I am on day 4 of nary a yell.

Family is back!

My brother's GF posted this the other day: http://www.boredpanda.com/easter-diy-ideas/ I tried #7, but that didn't work. I'm sure I was supposed to use more than water and color or something. I do so badly want to try the silk tie one, but all our eggs are brown, so I'll pick up some white ones next time, and then give it a shot. I should have some old silk scarves somewhere, but darned if I remember where.

I've been thinking about the silk tie one, too.

With the blown eggs, I have the kids keep the eggs in those plastic cups that little fruits come in (like chopped pineapple or mandarin oranges). I don't buy those fruits very often, but I always save the cups because they're awesome for paints and holding little craft items. They can do what they want and just roll the egg in the cup. But we've had plenty of cracked eggs here. Ro was putting some stamps on one of them and cracked it, but enough stamps actually stabilized the egg more.

I would like to yell less, too. I would love to make a vow to go for a year without yelling, but I think that is just one more thing I would fail to live up to and then feel guilty about. I just need to keep trying to do the best I can and start over if I have a less than stellar day.

Welcome back, Bridget!

Love the eggs, L! And the caprese pops -- I love caprese salad so I'll definitely try those this summer when we get our tomatoes in.
    We've been doing easter crafts, too -- decorating construction paper eggs with glue and bits of tissue paper, etc. We made paper flowers earlier in the week and they came out really cute. N's at the age where she wants to do crafts all.day.long. We'll be dying eggs tomorrow. We only ever have brown eggs, so when we dye they always come out a bit more earthy and mellow colorwise, but I really like them better that way. Not quite so bright. DH's mom sent us a kit with some sort of gold glaze, so that will be fun to try.

Yeah, Myles, wonder why you are so undecided? FWIW, for me at that phase (and why I wanted it was still a complete mystery at the time) it was macaroni salad. I was bringing home whole tubs of the stuff, all different brands and deli types, trying to find the Ultimate Mac Salad. Thank goodness that didn't last long, but I can still drain the color out of dh's face by saying "hm, I have a hankering for macaroni salad."
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I recently read a blog post by a mom that vowed not to yell at her kids for a year unless they were in danger. I'm in. I hate myself when i yell and feel like i have been doing it too much, with Kai testing me. But truth be told it doesn't work, raises the noise level in my house, and makes me feel like crap. I am on day 4 of nary a yell.
    That is awesome Bridget! I've really strived since having Nolan in changing that about myself. I grew up in a 'yelling' household. My parents yelled all.the.time!

I've really found that I feel more peaceful when I can work through that spurt where I feel the need to yell.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    My brother's GF posted this the other day: http://www.boredpanda.com/easter-diy-ideas/ I tried #7, but that didn't work. I'm sure I was supposed to use more than water and color or something. I do so badly want to try the silk tie one, but all our eggs are brown, so I'll pick up some white ones next time, and then give it a shot. I should have some old silk scarves somewhere, but darned if I remember where.
    Those are some awesome ideas Suja!! I can't see any of the pictures, but I am going to check them out today. I have tons of scrapbooking stuff, I am sure I can pull out some stuff for Nolan!

Another thing Nolan might like would be decorating cookies. I have a great sugar cookie recipe and we cut out from that. I have a few easter shapes and spring shapes. Of course one is an egg. Little kids generally like frosting those up and if he got it in his mouth, no big deal. I usually just buy white frosting and divide it up and dye different colors. Plastic knives are way better for spreading than regular ones.

I had to buy DH a few piping things because he was frustrated decorating last time. Now we have bags and tips so he can do lines and dots. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Another thing Nolan might like would be decorating cookies. I have a great sugar cookie recipe and we cut out from that. I have a few easter shapes and spring shapes. Of course one is an egg. Little kids generally like frosting those up and if he got it in his mouth, no big deal. I usually just buy white frosting and divide it up and dye different colors. Plastic knives are way better for spreading than regular ones.

I had to buy DH a few piping things because he was frustrated decorating last time. Now we have bags and tips so he can do lines and dots. LOL
    Genius! Cookies are a great idea. Plus I've got tons of decorating stuff leftover from Christmas! Though, no easter shapes, but I can make some oval-ish looking shapes and work with that

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Oh, that's so sad. Hopefully you'll have some of your loved ones nearby (though a nice long bath in a quiet house wouldn't be so awful either.) Is Rich doing anything special for Conner on Sunday?

Not quite sure why I can't sort out what I want. I know I want something to eat but nothing specific seems appetizing. It's kind of like those times you've let yourself not eat for too long. And then you get to a restaurant with a huge menu and, you've waited so long, but suddenly you can't decide what would be the exact thing you want to put in your tummy at just that moment. I've been feeling like that ALL the time this past week.
    I've had moments like that, where I was hungry but didn't know what I wanted. Not more than 1 meal though. A week would drive me crazy!

Rich is having a Sunday dinner. He was telling me about it while we were waiting for Jesi, and once I was home I realized he didn't ask me up. Just another example of how he's going to act 'different' now that he has a gf. It's not like we were holding hands or anything when I was up there before for the holidays. But that's Rich. He cannot be 'nice' to me if he has a woman. imo, he's sacrificing his children's happiness on a level because he's like that, but fighting with him about it won't change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    SCUBjia! We are almost home, stopped for lunch and Sawyer is asleep so him and I stayed in the car. Sweet silence.

Chrissy, I hope J's appts continue to show baby is doing well. That must have been terrifying.

Christine, congrats! Glad to see you back.

Katy, are you going to the lake too? I am probably overprotective as well but that scene would worry me too. Sorry she has been difficult. Kai is giving me a run for my money these days too.

Family is back!
    Yay for no yelling for 4 days! For me, I'm afraid that would be too ambitious of a goal to achieve. I was proud I went 2 weeks without yelling about the dishes not being done by my 19 year old, but then I more than made up for it last Saturday morning and she threw it back in my face, "Well, you didn't say anything!"

Totally different scenario though.

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Genius! Cookies are a great idea. Plus I've got tons of decorating stuff leftover from Christmas! Though, no easter shapes, but I can make some oval-ish looking shapes and work with that
    Soon as you said putting things in his mouth, I thought frosting is way better than paint! I don't even know what shapes I have. I know I have a chick, bunny, egg, flower.
    It was a tradition in my family growing up. We did Christmas, Valentines, Easter, and Halloween (pumpkin shape is the best...I have a bat and a cat too but they like to fall apart and it's just hard to get the right color frosting....though I suppose I could buy chocolate....hmmmm).

Not sure colors. I had DH buy two things of frosting. Thinking white, yellow, pink, light green, light purple and maybe light blue.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm so glad Jesi is okay. I was worried last night without an update.

I yell at Puppy a lot. A lot. I've been trying so hard to back off and talk to him calmly and quietly. It definitely works every time. Although I think he's maturing a little and his behavior was improving. When he was tiny he couldn't get up on the furniture, and then suddenly he was big enough and would take flying leaps up into the bed to greet me and step all over my face. I admit I panicked thinking of how big he was going to get and have really trying to target that behavior. He's much better about listening (although he still has selective hearing like Missy). I realized recently that now that he's even bigger, he can walk right up and greet me in the morning when I'm still in bed from floor level and he doesn't have to get up on the bed and step in my face. That combined with his listening and responding more quickly is really making me feel better about how he is turning out.

Christina, I bet you could even try cutting out round circles, either with a cookie cutter or just the edge of a glass. With some white or pastel frosting as a base, any decoration on top of that would look very eastery to me even if it isn't egg shaped.

I will say that Easter as a family celebration is pretty much pointless with two adults. I just have no interest in dying eggs by myself (DH has no interest). We did buy some easter candy, which is sitting in a bowl on the table. Other than that, I don't think we will really have anything going on.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I cannot go that long without yelling at Molly. LOL This morning she got yelled at twice for going on the couch uninvited because she wanted to bark out the window. Nevermind that she can see out the window without having to be on the couch. But Cosmo is allowed so suddenly Molly is testing me to see what she can get away with. We make her have an invite up because we want Cosmo to have a space to get away and we don't Molly to accidently push Cosmo off the couch....Cosmo likes to lie on the top like a cat and twice has fallen and gotten stuck between the window and couch!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Mandy just wait....he will be totally fine and suddenly want to "test" you! See my post on Molly above! LOL

Yup I get it with the holidays. Last year I had people coming over and it was really fun. I had themed placemats and some traditional foods and got to hide eggs outside. I must say that DH found some great spots considering our yard is rather barren in landscaping still. But Cosmo was telling the kid were they were! LOL

But this year with still having a foot of snow on the ground and nobody coming over, not doing much. Only cookies since they are yummy to eat and I want to test out the decorating tips.

I hope that next year maybe I will be putting together a first easter basket. I have mine from my entire life and want to use that. it's nice and big and can hold a lot of fun summer toys. Oh and a cute little outfit. I'm kind of old-fashioned and love little hats and bonnets.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thanks ladies! I do have to run into the store and get Italian Bread for dinner (Spaghetti, YUM!) so I'll see what they have, that's at the front of the store, cause I do not have the energy or dedication to go searching through the store.

I suppose we'll be mostly winging it this year