Page 1325 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 32582512251275131513231324132513261327133513751425 ... LastLast
Results 39,721 to 39,750 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Lydia, that recipe sounds delicious! I'll have to try that this weekend!

That sounds so good, Lydia.

Last night Josh was nearly in tears, telling me he doesn't get to eat pizza enough. So today I made a pizza sauce chock full of veggies and I'm going to make little individual pizzas with him to freeze.

Quick one he might like is using english muffins....open them up, add a bit of sauce, a bit of cheese, meat if you like it....zap it a short amount of time until cheese melts and quick mini lunch pizza's. I used to do those a lot when I had kids during the summer. They liked helping make their own, quick and easy, all the food groups, and didn't heat up the kitchen during the summer.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I have to tell you this funny story from our weekend before I forget it again. We rented pedal boats on the Lake and went for boat rides. The twins were with DH and S. was with me and my mom. Near the shore, there was this man in his 30s, standing in the water in nothing but a white skin-tight swimsuit that clung to all of his curves. His long flowing hair curled down his back. He was standing in the water up to his calves, facing out to the middle of the lake, arms outstretched, looking peaceful.

R. shouted, "WHAT'S THAT GIRL DOING?"
    DH said, "That's a man, and I think he's meditating."

DH pedalled his boat away over to the dock, but I'd heard that exchange. S., who was unhelping us steer our boat, kept us going in circles near the guy.

S. said to me, also incredibly loudly, "I THINK WE NEED TO GO SAVE HIM. HE'S IN THE WATER!"
    I told him he was fine. He was standing up, he wasn't in any distress, and the water was very shallow where he was. He was okay.
    S. added, "BUT WE NEED TO GO GET HIM! HE NEEDS TO BE RESCUED! JUST LOOK AT HIM! HE LOOKS VERY VERY COLD!"
    My mom and I widened our eyes at each other and tried not to giggle. I grabbed the helm away from S. and pedalled away from there. The guy gave up meditating.

Ha ha! Your kids crack me up, L. So honest. I could feel sorry for the guy, but you know -- if someone's doing something in public that is very out of the ordinary, he has to expect to get a few comments. Maybe a public lake isn't the best meditation spot.

About pizza and Jennifer's english muffin idea -- we do the same thing around here with flatbread or pitas. Brush on a little olive oil, cover with whatever toppings appeal (Noe likes just red sauce and cheese -- I go for stuff like goat cheese, grapes and pecans) and toss it under the broiler for a bit. Quick hot lunch or dinner. We had pita pizzas for dinner last night, as it happens.

Oh, and L, your chicken recipe sounds delish. I make something similar but instead of the mushrooms, I love tarragon (fresh or dried). Halved grapes are good in it too, and some white wine. MMMmmm... getting hungry.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

OMG, that chicken recipe sounds SO good. And pepperlu, I bet it would be amazing with halved grapes.

I am cracking up about Josh's pizza trauma! Too cute.

And the poor meditating man! Perhaps he could have chosen a better spot.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

That is so, so funny about the lake!! Bwahaha!

Maybe Josh would also like tortilla pizzas (pretty much the same as English muffin pizzas, but with a tortilla instead of the muffin).

Speaking of tortillas, Jennifer, Mexican food is something I cook often because it's not elaborate and I can't mess it up. Or maybe it's just that the ingredients are so rich that they taste good in any combination. Give me tortillas, meat, flavorings (like oregano, cumin, chili powder or a store-bought sauce) and some other filling like canned beans and cheese, toppings like chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce or cabbage, avocados/guacamole or sour cream, and I can make just about anything. You can do burritos (if you stuff a big tortilla with the stuff), tacos (if you use smaller or crunchier tortillas), enchiladas (if you have enchilada sauce to pour on top of your stuff rolled up in a casserole dish and drenched in the sauce and sprinkled with cheese), fajitas (pretty much if you just add sauteed red/green peppers). You can do nachos by trading the round tortillas for a pyramid of tortilla chips and sticking in the oven.

For flavoring meat, you can try 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon each of (garlic powder, onion powder , red pepper flakes, dried oregano), 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, 1.5 teaspoons ground cumin, 1 teaspoon each of sea salt and black pepper. Good for browning about a pound of ground beef for your tacos.

If I want to get fancy and make my own chicken marinade, I combine 1 small onions, 1/2 cup of serrano or habanero peppers without the seeds (because I don't like spicy), red pepper flakes, tbsp of sea salt, and cup of olive oil in a blender and steep my meat in it for 14-24 hrs.

I also love making breakfasty things like chilaquiles and huevos rancheros, but I remember you don't like breakfast foods, so I'll hold off on talking about them.

¡Buen provecho!

I wish I was a good cook like you guys seem to be. We've been better lately about eating fresh, whole foods but it seems like such a chore to me!

Gretchen, your pizza toppings sounds so good and not what I would think to put on a homemade pizza. I'm adding pecans to my shopping list.

A funny story from school today: We had a substitute teacher after lunchtime and at 2pm, we take the kids swimming every Wednesday. We rounded them all up and got them all on the bus ready to go when I realized that the 2 students who are in student council had not come back from their meeting (even though I told them to not forget to leave the meeting early because we had swimming!), so I made a mad dash back to school just in time to see them heading my way as they apologized for being late. We all 3 ran back to the bus. When we got to the swimming pool, I was walking at the front of the line with them and one of the boys said, "Miss, we all saw you running....you are sooo fast! Were you an Olympian?" OMG, that made my day.

LOL, Ashley. You are pretty slick. Does every kid have to call you "Miss"? I love how polite and English that sounds. Oh, and speaking of English, I saw Digestives for sale in a grocery last night. They sell them in a plastic-top canister now, like the one you'd get Pringles in. I'm so tempted to get some. Digestives and tea are a weakness for me.

I love the faith children put in you! Not saying you COULDN'T be an Olympian, of course - but it's so sweet to see how much they admire you when they like you. I'm starting to miss when I had a "general" caseload of elementary kids. I loved building up that relationship with those little guys over time.

Yes, they call us all Miss even the Misters are often called Miss out of habit. Lol!

Were they chocolate digestives, Myles? I do love choccie digestives with a cuppa on a cold wintery day.

Mandy, being with the same class every day has been the best thing about my current job. I love these kids to pieces.

L, the meditation story made me laugh. I pictured a man like Russell Brand standing in the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    L, the meditation story made me laugh. I pictured a man like Russell Brand standing in the lake.
    OMG I can so picture Russell Brand doing that!

I'm going to be a grandma. Jesi.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

You ok?

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    I'm going to be a grandma. Jesi.
    Oh, Chrissy.

It's not the ideal situation one would dream for their own daughter, but Kaleb is the best and Jesi is a smart girl. They're happy, so I'm happy. They'll figure it out. Rich & I did.

I thought that's what you would say. (A baby!!!!)

Yeah, a baby. And Jesi is talking to me again Or she was. I think I upset Kaleb because after a few hours I did try to explain why I went off on her boss like I did. Jesi seemed to get it and neither of us were paying attention to him. He disappeared out the back door, then she went to find him. They ended up calling Rich to come get them. *sigh* Such is life. For me anyway.

Whoa. Wow!! Chrissy! I'm so glad Jesi's partner is a good guy. And Jesi's happy. You are a great mom, and Jesi will be so grateful for your support. Your grandbaby will adore you.

Ashley, that's the cutest about your student! What a sweetheart!

(I totally pictured Russell Brand as the lake guy, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    It's not the ideal situation one would dream for their own daughter, but Kaleb is the best and Jesi is a smart girl. They're happy, so I'm happy. They'll figure it out. Rich & I did.
    I have no doubt she'll do fine. She has you to look up to.

Wow Chrissy....that is quite the news. I am so glad that you have always had nothing but the best to say about Kaleb.

Oh the lake guy mediating story is pretty funny!

Ashley that is cute that kids thought you were so fast and I love the Miss!

Myles, we do make mexican usually once a week. Mostly burrito sized tacos or taco salad. I have a recipe to try that is a mexican lasagna casserole thing. Hard thing for me is I LOVE LOVE LOVE tomatoes. I mean I like to chop 3-5 for the two of us depending on how big they are. And tomatoes just kind of suck this time of year.

I made the jasmine rice tonight in the cooker....but didn't realize that I bought organic brown jasmine rice. Generally not a brown rice fan as much. It was good but I bet that I like white jasmine better.

OMG it smells so good in here right now. I had some too ripe bananas so I put a banana bread in the oven. I use an old family recipe and it's really quite good. I like to cook but have been in a rut of every week is a spaghetti night, taco night, mac and cheese night....

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

OMG Chrissy! Congrats to you all!

Everyone's stories cracked me up. And thanks for the pizza ideas! I was going to do the English muffin idea and just freeze them so I can just grab one and reheat it in the toaster oven. It's small and doesn't heat up much. I figure, I don't mind giving him something all the time if he'll eat it and pizza isn't so bad with the hidden veggie sauce.

Josh had his Lion King performance tonight and he was awesome! They're doing Aladdin next and he's begging us to let him join.

You guys have been talking a lot about food! I'm trying not to eat at night but y'all are making me hungry!

I've been allowing Kai bits of gluten here and there. I'm leaving it up to him and asking him to pay close attention to how it makes him feel. So far I'm not noticing the same reactions as before. No rashy face. It's a big quandry for me right now for a few reasons. One being that the gluten free substitutes are crap food. I'm talking about the bread, crackers, etc. They all have too much filler and crap. The other reason is that he's hardly eating anything anymore. He won't eat sandwiches because the gf bread he doesn't like. He'll hardly eat any baked goods at all unless they are store bought and that is because they are loaded with sugar and starches. I made him a regular sandwich with hummus, avacado, sprouts, and cheese and he ate it. If I had put it on the gf bun he would not have eaten it. What to do?! I'm thinking of going the summer trying gluten again and see if he continues to grow and see what happens with the tummy aches.

Good luck Bridget!

How would he feel if he just had the insides of the sandwich without any bread?

I wonder if he can handle it, but in more limited doses?

I was born with a casein allergy and almost died when my mom stopped breastfeeding me. They seriously had no idea what was wrong with me and it ended up being casein. I drank soy milk for years and then they re-introduced milk when I was 4 or so, and although I didn't have the violent reaction i had as a baby, around age 7 they realized I was going to the nurse's office every single day with a stomach ache and it was back to the allergist. Tested positive for a casein allergy and lactose intolerance. The doctor told my parents to take me back off dairy, but to allow me one milk product every month (I actually tested positive for egg allergy, too, and I've never in my life gotten sick from eating eggs. The doctor said I could have an "egg of the week" and "milk of the month.") We stuck to that for a while, and as I got older I took more responsibility on myself for managing my diet. Which meant a few time in high school of overdoing the milk and being in a lot of pain and throwing up. Now that I'm as old as I am, I consider that I've outgrown the allergy and can't remember the last time I had a reaction - years ago, for certain, and I consume dairy daily at this point. If I'm feeing less than great, I'll take it easy on the dairy, though.

I have to wonder if Kai was just having an extreme reaction because he consumed so much gluten, and with it out of his system and introduced in smaller amounts, he might feel just fine. I don't know if it would be monthly, or weekly, or just a certain portion of his diet, but you might try that and see if it works for him.

Kate, that's great about Josh and his Lion King performance! Do you have any pictures? I bet he was adorable.

Are you going to let him try Aladdin, or are you done with evening rehearsals?

Well, he wants to do it so badly, and he was starting to get better about going to bed towards the end. He liked it so much more than he liked soccer or swim class or anything. I think we'll do it.

I have pictures, I'll post them on facebook tomorrow.

That's great he enjoyed it so much, and I'm glad he started to get better about bedtime. I'll look for the pics tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I have no doubt she'll do fine. She has you to look up to.
    Awwwww :blush: You're too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Wow Chrissy....that is quite the news. I am so glad that you have always had nothing but the best to say about Kaleb.
    He really is the best. I get along with him better than I do Jesi. He absolutely adores her, but even though me and her have had some terrific disputes, he stays neutral. He's supportive of her, but won't bad talk me or give me an attitude just because Jesi is hot at me. I cannot help but really admire him for that. And he treats her so well. He treats her in a way anyone would want their daughter treated by their SO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I have to wonder if Kai was just having an extreme reaction because he consumed so much gluten, and with it out of his system and introduced in smaller amounts, he might feel just fine. I don't know if it would be monthly, or weekly, or just a certain portion of his diet, but you might try that and see if it works for him.
    I think that's a great plan. I agree with Mandy.

I really feel bad. I am trying to read and keep up, and so often I have thoughts about what I've read but by the time I get a chance to post any more, the topic is over or I simply do not have the time.

Work was still chaos and late in the day I realized 1 desktop I'd imaged failed to load some of the 3rd party software. Randall was imaging another one at the moment I learned this, and his failed as well. I have 1 or 2 more desktops on the "ready to be deployed to the user" shelf that I have to doublecheck before we actually set them up with the users. All that work. And Ted (the Sys Admin and SCCM guy) is out with shingles. I don't know when he'll be back and I have no idea how to fix the permissions on the containers that hold/host/whatever the technical term is for the 3rd party software. Office installed, but Symantec and Snag It did not. I haven't gone through to check each program but missing two is a pretty big deal. I cannot learn SCCM fast enough...but then, I don't really have the time to learn it either.