Page 1324 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 32482412241274131413221323132413251326133413741424 ... LastLast
Results 39,691 to 39,720 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

We don't do tooth fairy, nor was there allowance at 2-3 years old!

Jennifer, we have the same little shelves over the kitchen sink but yours look prettier. mine are cluttered!

I made an ass of myself this morning. I smiled brightly at someone, thinking it was my cousin, and said a cheerful, "Good morning!" He was beaming back, "Hello!" and I realized...oops. Not Shawn. I was going into Dunkin and he was coming out when it happened and I didn't think too much of it till I saw he was still sitting in his truck when I came out, trying to get eye contact. I kept my head down and got in my car as fast as I could thinking, "Don't talk to me don't talk to me don't talk to me"

I totally flirted by accident.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

LOL Chrissy! I would totally do something like that.

Suja I never thought of checking out overstock! I will have to look at those with DH and see what he thinks. We both really like art....I have three paintings in my living room...well those are framed prints. I have two framed in my office and one original canvas. I have another original canvas in the guest room soon to be nursery and I think we will be able to keep it in there. And another original canvas over my bed. The cool thing is that my college alum association does a starving artist show every Sept. Usually there are a bit over 200 artists there and every single thing is $100 or less. So in addition to the three original canvas paintings, we got the vase in the kitchen shelf picture, a hand blown glass one that is in the office and a cool metal and wood twisted dragonfly that is my master bathroom. It is just this dining room wall that has been eluding us in finding the right piece. Something different than the rest of our stuff. Large scale and more earth tone colors.

Bridget, I love those shelves. I didn't even realize the builder has those in until I saw them. I had combined two different plans so didn't totally know what the kitchen layout was. I also got surprised and pots/pans lower cabinets have pull out shelves and so does the pantry. Love those! They have stuff on them though....the one picture was when we were moving in still. I realized that when I saw the temp frig and didn't have the barstools at the counter yet.
    I think we might have the same kitchen table too....if not it's pretty similar. Mine is from shopko and it's a mission style. I love how it looks....and that people thought it was a 750 set when I paid 150 for the table and chairs. I don't love that there isn't a leaf. That was fine in the apartment but it's a bit small in the space I have now and if we have more than two people over, I need to bring in a folding table and try to cover them with table clothes.

Janet that is a pretty packed schedule! Me, I like not being action packed. Generally try to not have more than 1-2 weekends a month that has stuff going on. DH and I both like being at home and relaxing and doing fun stuff around the house....reading, games, house related things.
    So far we my MIL, my sister and her gf visiting us in April, the vacation in May and we now have the hotels reserved and we ordered the baseball tickets. We will be seeing two games on this trip and the rest of the time sight seeing and museums. End of June we are heading down to Milwaukee and going to see Wicked with my sister and her gf. Some weekend in the next few months we need to go to Ikea....our closest is at the Mall of America in the twin cities. We need to paint the nursery once I officially decide on colors. Once the snow finally melts and it's a dry weekend we also need to stain the deck....just doing the floor and top of the railings this year. The deck is white so the floors tend to get icky after a year.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Chrissy where I live it's pretty common to smile and say hi or good morning, good night when walking past someone. Maybe he will just think you were from some other city. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer, I don't know a lot about art either but if you guys like photography, my dad has a pretty extensive selection. He's been to Africa, Italy, and Ireland, amongst others and also does some local photography around New England. His website is www.rosswarner.com (actually any of you can check it out and pass it on, I'm sure he'll appreciate the traffic). He only ships them as prints, so you'd have to get them framed somewhere else.

Do these hold any appeal for you, Jennifer?

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden.../product.html\
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...0/product.html

They are big; if I had the space, I would totally get stuff along these lines.

Yes I do like those. The second might be a bit too big. I think we were looking 40-50 inches for length. I will have to show those to DH but I do like the colors.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jen - I haven't had the chance to check out your suggestions, but wanted to throw in that you could look at some paintings on eBay. There are some sellers in China that churn them out - small and BIG pieces! - and they'll arrive stretched on a frame within a couple weeks, usually. Reproductions, but they're still hand-painted oils. I've bought a couple interesting diptychs and triptychs from there.
    Last edited by demigraf; 03-26-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Kate, your Sade's photography... OMG! They're gorgeous. Has he ever done Josh's portrait? Or your family's?

(That was supposed to say your *dad's* photography, btw. )

He has taken a lot of photos of Josh, and he took a lot of photos at our wedding. They're not online but he sent me a small album of them. He's never done a formal portrait of the three of us but he did a nice photo of me before senior prom that I believe he still has hanging up at his house. Too bad I don't look much like that anymore. LOL

This is one of my best friend's photography pages http://www.katestraitphotography.com. There are a few of my kids on there, but some of her landscapes and scenery are amazing. I have her stuff hanging all over my house.
    AKA Lisa724

Oh, fun. I was wondering who'd done your kids' portraits, Lisa. They're so beautiful.

I love sharing the work of my photographer friends.

http://www.carrievillines.com/
    http://www.demonicaphoto.com/
    http://www.racheldevine.com/

And I can't forget this mama in my Jan 09 birth room who did my family portraits when we were all in Maui: http://www.karmahill.com/

The bummer about having such talented photographer friends is that I'm always disappointed in my own pictures.

I did some nudes for Carrie in my 20s. Nothing where you could really see my boobs or private parts, but I was posing in the altogether. One of my portraits sold at a Venice exhibit to a woman who collects nudes. I sometimes wonder if I'm hanging in her bathroom or something. Or maybe she stuck me up in her attic where my photo ages like Dorian Gray. LOL.

Can I scream now? Work blows-perhaps worse today than yesterday but when you're this far in sh!t it's really hard to tell.

This is about family and people in general who flat out don't care what you got going on in your life, they want help and they want it now. Around 2-ish I got a call on my personal cell from a number I didn't recognize. Since work is hell I let it go to VM and figured I'd deal with it after work. I actually forgot about it and shortly after 4 I received a text from my aunt telling me she had problems with her laptop and asking if I'd help. It turned out the VM was also from her. A person I never, ever, NEVER hear from. Until now when she needs computer help. Have I mentioned I really resent that? And I can guarantee you she isn't going to offer to pay or even offer so much as a $10 gift certificate to a restaurant. I used to help her years ago so I know the deal.

After I got home I told her I didn't get home till 6:00 during the week and tonight I have Conner so I'm busy. I also explained that I save family/friends computer issues for the weekend because after working on them all day, it's really the last thing I want to do at night too. Her response? "I can understand that. Do you have any suggestions I can try because my internet explorer won't open."

She completely disregarded what I said about being busy today in particular, and in general not wanting to go through this after working on them all day! It's all about her and I can see how this will go. If I suggest something and it doesn't work, I'll have to suggest something else. Because she's the one clicking things, she justifies it to herself that she doesn't owe me anything.

I'm not even going to respond. I'm so freaking aggravated and pissed off. I'm not free computer support. And I have a right to a life with my kids.

*Hugs* Chrissy. Go ahead and ignore her. You don't owe her anything, especially when she's being so annoying.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Here, Chrissy, just send her this: http://bit.ly/10chTZh

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Or you can send her this, but I am feeling particularly testy and I probably wouldn't recommend this: http://bit.ly/10cidY2

Maybe this? http://bit.ly/10cixWS

OMG L those are GREAT!

I was feeling pretty testy today after some FB drama with DH's cousin. I tried to give her the benefit of doubt that maybe she didn't realize how rude and insulting she came off in online exhanges......but nope she stands by it. I am done with her. DH is pretty much done with her after how insulting and rude to me she was. I mean you can disagree but have some respect. Would do something like say "this is perfect and appropriate for the gun post below" To which is a picture that says something like you have the right to remain silent because whatever you say will be stupid anyway. She would tell me that she never said what I said was stupid. I'm like yeah you basically did and copied and pasted from her page. She said "well I never typed out the word stupid myself". All because she asked why kids have off school for good friday when we can't pray in school and I tried to explain why we shouldn't pray in public schools and if schools are off friday, it's generally tied to spring break. Or course there is a whole lot more to the whole thing and this isn't the first time. She insults me, her brother, my DH, his mom.....and than claims she didn't say someone was stupid because she was raised better than that and would never do it. WHATEVER Like DH said, we will ever see her anyway unless there is a funeral.
    It was pretty hot though how ready he was to jump to my defense.....he was really offended and I was more just annoyed and well I admit to not totally hating drama.

I will have to check out the photographs though generally we aren't so much into those unless it's person....family or the girls. I do have two in the office but one my "sister" sent from France and the other we bought of Milwaukee to balance it out in the room. We, especially him, want something different for this room since we have either framed prints or canvas in all the other rooms. It's so tricky to find something we both really like....since he's NOT into change and looks right in the space. This wall I want something for can be seen from three rooms.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Chrissy, that's so annoying. Seems you're pulled in all different directions right now, between her and work! Yeah, you should blow her off and not feel guilty about it at all.

Jennifer, of the ones you posted, I like the tree one best.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Chrissy, my husband totally sympathizes... He's IT, too, and deals with the EXACT same thing all the time. Even from his own biological mother!! She never calls him, not even on his birthday. Unless she needs help with her computer. Then she needs him RIGHT NOW. Doing a job he gets paid for? Doesn't matter. In the middle of bathing his infant? Doesn't matter. Kid sick? Doesn't matter. On our anniverary dinner? Nope, gotta help her RIGHT NOW. Oh, and by the way, that anniversar dinner? She never did wish us a happy annivesary... So yeah, you have his sympathy!

L, love those!

Jennifer, I guess that's one way that we're lucky. We only have three rooms in our whole house! Well, and 2 bathrooms and a "laundry room", which is really just a very, very small hallway to the bathroom. The living room, kitchen, and dining room are all open floor plan, so basically one big room.

L, those were great and made me LOL!! I needed that

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    *Hugs* Chrissy. Go ahead and ignore her. You don't owe her anything, especially when she's being so annoying.
    I did respond. I said, "I'm sorry, I really have no idea without looking at it and Conner is here now." and she wrote back that she understood. I don't think she does, but I don't really care. I might text her on Sunday and see if I can remote in but that's all I'm going to be willing to do. I'm not actually going to leave my house or anything

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    It was pretty hot though how ready he was to jump to my defense.....he was really offended and I was more just annoyed and well I admit to not totally hating drama.
    oo la la! That's great he had your back like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Chrissy, my husband totally sympathizes... He's IT, too, and deals with the EXACT same thing all the time. Even from his own biological mother!! She never calls him, not even on his birthday. Unless she needs help with her computer. Then she needs him RIGHT NOW. Doing a job he gets paid for? Doesn't matter. In the middle of bathing his infant? Doesn't matter. Kid sick? Doesn't matter. On our anniverary dinner? Nope, gotta help her RIGHT NOW. Oh, and by the way, that anniversar dinner? She never did wish us a happy annivesary... So yeah, you have his sympathy!
    Ugh. at her. I flat out wouldn't do it. I wouldn't listen to the whining either. I can be so cold (so I've been told by someone in my family) but I really don't care. When it comes to stuff like that, my time and space will be respected or I will have nada to do with that person. I don't care who it is. If that's cold, then fine by me. I'm not easily manipulated by name calling.

---

On a happy note at work-there are things that I do like here but it's too hard to keep track of because the BS is unbelievable. But, my manager is still great. I had my evaluation and she 'graded' me better than the director (Gravedigger, I call her) did. All 4s and 5s which I'm used to. But I had to ask her out of curiosity...what does it take to score all 5s around here? Because I'm working at a higher level than someone who is supposed to be a full letter grade above me. He does strictly desktop/helpdesk support. I love him, he's a great guy, but I'm into the imaging and more system stuff. And his title is actually System Administrator whereas mine is just IT Support Assistant IV. I told her that I know we're not really supposed to compare ourselves to each other, but really how else will we know how we're doing at our job unless we take stock of what our peers are doing? She was completely understanding and said it was a legitimate question and she assured me that it has been brought up numerous times, especially recently since she's become our manager. She said she's actually gotten borderline rude with 'people' about it.

While I can't say I'd stay if I got a raise (I really don't care what my title is), if I have to work I may as well make as much as I can. And I really do fly above and beyond what the other two help desk guys are doing. It's not that I think I'm great or anything...I just have that innate ability and I really enjoy it. I only wish, in this office, there wasn't so much of it to 'enjoy' all at once.

Between Myles' Dorian Gray portrait and Lydia's googling, I am giggling like crazy over here.

Jennifer, your cousin in law sounds really passive aggressive!

Chrissy your job always sounds so frustrating!

Kate that is pretty much it. I mean really there was a debate involving her, her brother and myself. So she saids, in light of my post below this is perfect and the picture says "you have the right to remain silent because whatever you say will be stupid". I call her out on it and her response is "I never said what you said was stupid. I was raised better than that". Ok so I copy and pasted her words and the words of the picture e-card thing. Her response, "well I never typed the word stupid". I mean seriously?

Ok you guys I saw that L you like jasmine rice. So I bought some and am going to cook it but is it much different than long grain white rice? If I can find the directions for my rice cooker, I will look and see if it says anything. The bag has stove directions too. I have just never cooked anything other than long-grain white rice.
    The whole gluten free isn't going to happen, I couldn't think of what to bring for lunch if I didn't have a sandwich. But I am trying to cut back and not have pasta 4-5 days of the week. Maybe just once a week.

I am looking for a great mexican rice recipe too if anyone has one that they love.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Jennifer, I cook with Jasmine Rice on a daily basis. If you are doing it on the stovetop, just be watchful, and use a timer (for next time). I find that there is about a 30 second gap between perfectly done and overcooked (slight exaggeration).

I just do 2 cups water, 1 cup jasmine rice all together in a pot, bring to a boil, put on lid (preferably see-through), lower to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until water is absorbed and I can see those little pockets in the rice. I like my rice sticky enough that I can roll it in a ball, though. You can add different herbs into the pot before you put the lid on, if you want to get all fancy. But the jasmine rice is so tasty as it is. I love the way it smells when it's cooking.

Last night I made one of my not-too-frequent decadent on-rice dishes.

Cut up 3-4 chicken breasts into bite-size pieces, roll in flour sprinkled with ground black pepper, shake excess flour off
    Brown on all sides in a thin coating of oil (about six minutes), remove from pan
    Add a bit of butter and a chopped shallot and sliced mushrooms and a tbsp of lemon juice, stir for a minute or two
    Cover pan, cook for about 3 minutes until the mushrooms release their juices
    Uncover, turn up heat to high until juice is gone, another few minutes
    Add a cup of white wine, reduce slightly, another few minutes,
    Add a cup of heavy cream and turn heat down a bit, reduce some more
    Add chicken back to pan and stir until chicken is cooked and sauce is thickened
    Top with chopped parsley (my fave) or chives and serve over rice

It was so yummy!

Is it better on the stove or can I do it in the rice cooker? I have generally sucked at stovetop rice things but my rice cooker is great. I am used to 1 cup rice to 1.5 cups water for long-grain.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

No mushrooms for us! But otherwise that sounds good.

I think first time around I will leave it plain because I don't think we have jasmine rice before. But we do like rice on the stickier side. I am thinking of making this tonight. We are having pork chops if they defrost enough and normally I would make a box of pasta to go with it. Plus a veggie.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yeah! Looking good....nbcnews seems to think the courts are going to strike down DOMA.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36