Page 1319 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 31981912191269130913171318131913201321132913691419 ... LastLast
Results 39,541 to 39,570 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Yeah I don't think that is fair either Chrissy. The adults should make absolutely sure they're staying together for a good while before they even meet the kids, at least that's what I've always read, and I agree.

Joshua prefers to be called Joshua, too. He doesn't mind if I call him Josh but if anyone asks him his name he'll say Joshua and correct them if they immediately shorten it to Josh.

Suja, I'm so sorry to hear about Khan.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Yeah I don't think that is fair either Chrissy. The adults should make absolutely sure they're staying together for a good while before they even meet the kids, at least that's what I've always read, and I agree.

Joshua prefers to be called Joshua, too. He doesn't mind if I call him Josh but if anyone asks him his name he'll say Joshua and correct them if they immediately shorten it to Josh.
    Good for him. I still have a hard time correcting people if they call me Chris, and I literally cringe inside when they do. I hate that name, for me. I don't mind calling other people Chris though if that's what they prefer. I just don't feel like a Chris at all. Christina or Chrissy please, and if I don't like you, Christina. lol

Conner referred to himself as Nonner, so that became his nickname. Now he's in school and all about proper pronunciation and he corrects us, rather sternly, if we call him Nonner. It sorta breaks my heart a little.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I get it Chrissy. I do not like being called Jenny. DH's family does it anyway because his cousin is Jenny. I'm ok with Jen but really most people call me Jennifer. But I'm bad to because DH prefers the full version of his name but since he introduced him to me as the nickname, I call him Tony and not Anthony. But he goes by that at work and he did in school. Just his family and I cannot get around to calling him what he likes better. Though mostly we go by personal nicknames anyway.

Suja I'm so sorry.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Suja, I'm sorry I missed the post about Khan. I'm sorry you have to let him go

Bridget, have you noticed any difference with Kai since he went gluten free?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thank you, Mandy... Though I'm so sorry that you know, I wish this on no one...

Thanks everyone for your input on the birthday party! I almost went and set it up for this coming weekend, but hubby is against the idea. I think he just doesn't want to deal with it, so will put it off as long as possible... So, it's looking like my April 3 baby will be having a May 4th birthday party! I won't be sending out invitations for a bit (still watching the weather...), but everyone is invited! It'll be an evite, so if you are close and might want to come, I'll include you!

And, L, even though hubby nixed the idea of a March 24th birthday party, we can still get together! It's still looking like that day should be nice (71 and partially sunny). We could try Fairyland again...

Bridget, I hope your tooth is ok!! When will you get an answer?

I don't think 2 parties would work very well, mostly because the only "family" that would only go to one is my brother and his family from Utah, and they probably won't actually come out at all. My parents and hubby's parents would want to come to the first one, too, so then if we did a second one, it would just be the same people again. Thanks for the idea, though!

Oh, Chrissy, office politics... There's no escaping that, is there...?

Erin, where ever you end up going, I hope you have a great time!! I'm much more of a nature girl, so I would pick any National Park over NYC, but that's just me. I love the Grand Canyon and that whole area- 4 corners, Mesa Verde... I love Zion and Bryce, too. Gorgeous!! But I pretty much love all the National Parks... It would be very cold now, but more favorites of mine that I feel often get left out are the Badlands and Devil's Tower. Also gorgeous!

And yeah, we have junk quite often, too. And I don't feel bad one bit. I try to eat and feed her really clean, healthy food most of the time, so when we go to, say, the Easter Party we went to today, she can have junk and I don't worry at all. Still, the snacks she picked were raw carrots and broccolli (never ate the broccolli, though), and a green cookie that she only ate half of. But she loves junk, and I figure as long as she knows how to eat well, she's good!

I love pasta with just butter, mmm... Sometimes also with a dash of parsley.

Aw, Travis, little sweetie. Maiya does not like nicknames much, either. But we call her "Mai" and "Miss Mai" and she's ok with it. For myself, I don't care. People online often call me "Krystal" (gee, wonder why...?) and it's fine, I wouldn't even mind in real life, I'm pretty laid back. But despite that, NO ONE calls me anything but "Janet". It's so boring! And I don't know why. Am I just a boring person?? Well, ok, there was ONE person in my entire life that called me "Jan", and that was the stage manager at our local little theather that I (did) volunteer at. I don't as much since having Maiya, though I still do some. But she is the only one...

I agree with L! I'm still a bit sunburned from my day at the lake, and Maiya was running around in a sleeveless summer dress all day today for her Easter Egg hunt... And kept going back in the house because it was too hot out! Though, that cold and cloudy spell that was supposed to hit nearly two weeks ago is still predicted for the week after next, so this next week is supposed to start a cooling and clouding trend... Still, "cold" here is about 50!

Beautiful picture, by the way!

Chrissy, that sucks about Rich and the "playdates". I hate when people put their own selfish wants over their children's needs...

Oh, Suja... I am so, so sorry. I made that decision just over a year ago for my search and rescue partner Peach... It is so hard. But you are doing the right thing. I waited too long (she had cancer and it came on FAST and I was caught off gaurd over a weekend...), and I really regret it. So many hugs for you...

Our story of the day... I mentioned we were at an Easter Party. Well, Maiya found some older boys to play with. She LOVES older boys, always has. But still doesn't know how to play with them! She seemed fine, but the interactions today made me sad... They must have been about 5 - 7, and were playing "good guy vs bad guy". So they kept running around yelling to the invisible bad guys "prepare to die!" Maiya doesn't like that type of play, so she kept telling them "NO! Don't play bad guys!" Then she found some dinosaurs (she LOVES dinosaurs), and wanted to play with the boys with the dinosaurs. So the "dinosaur" would say "Hi! I'm a dinosaur, do you want to play with me?" But then the older boy would say "No, you're a dinosaur, you can't talk!" To which she would respond, as the dinosaur "Yes, I do talk, see?" The boys kept kiling bad guys, and Maiya kept trying to talk to them, and kept asking him to be the dinosaur.

The boys then decided that if the dinosaur kept trying to "talk" to them, instead of try to kill the bad guys with them, that that must mean that the DINOSAUR is the bad guy, so they then pretended to blow him up. Maiya really didn't like that (she wasn't "upset", just told them "NO! No please."), so I stepped in and reminded them that the good guys don't die, and the dinosaur is a good guy. So they got bored and moved on, but Maiya REALLY wanted to play with them, so she followed them... And pretty much the same thing happened a few more times...

I know it's good for her to try to learn to play with kids like this, and she wasn't upset at all (she wasn't happy, but wasn't upset), but it makes me sad! They weren't being "mean" per se, they just wanted to play rough and she didn't, but still really wanted to play with them.

Ah, learning experience for us both!
    Last edited by Krystal5; 03-17-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Awww, that's hard. Conner is 6 and he could go either way in that scenario. He likes to kill bad guys too (zombies), but he also LOVES dinosaurs and he totally makes his talk often. In fact, for many years he's had an invisible friend, his "best friend Al" and he's an allosaurus. imo, if she wasn't upset then you, dear mama, shouldn't be either. It's actually a really great sign that her feelings didn't get hurt. She's not oversensitive. (I would have been bawling at her age in that situation, so that's what I mean by oversensitive). She sounds like a very strong girl.

Thanks! She is pretty strong, I'm very proud of her. Except when it comes to watching TV, then she's a wimp, hah. I wasn't really upset, it just made me a little sad. Let's just say, I look forward to the day when she knows how to jump in and play with the people she wants to play with!

That's so sweet about "Al"! Maiya doesn't have an invisible dinosaur friend (yet), but she does have some invisible dogs / cats (Umba, in particular, is sometimes a dog and sometimes a cat, but Arrow is always a dog. A blue and green dog.). She does have a ton of dinosaur toys and blanket and pillow case...

These two boys actually did play with her some, but once they started the good guy vs bad guy game, she just couldn't keep up, and they were having too much fun to stop, which I understand. But she didn't quite get it!

Oh, and other than the few times it was the dinosaur, I never did figure out what the bad guys were! They were just invisible bad guys... Even though Maiya couldn't figure out how to play with them, I gotta say that I love kids' imaginations!

It sounds like Maiya has great social skills! Good for her. I know what you mean though. It's hard to see them struggle.

Jennifer, I do believe Kai is growing steadily now that he's off gluten. He's also lost the rash around his mouth, a regular infection he used to get in an unmentionable area, less irritability in general. He is finally not peeing every five minutes but that didn't go away with the other things, only recently. He hasn't been complaining of a tummy ache since we started the dichatamus earth but, again, can never be sure if it's a coincidence or not. It seemed like his behavior improved but lately it's been challenging again. I've actually been contemplating letting him try bits of gluten here and there to see but not sure if I should or not. I believe I will leave it up to him.

I went to the parade in madison today and then we had lunch at the dive bar I used to hang out at. Seemed like a good place to not have to wait for a table and we were right. I couldn't believe when we walked in and it was the same bartender from 10 years ago!! He owns it now. He walked by me and did a double take and came over to give me a hug and I was so surprised that he recongnized and remembered me and was so happy to see me! Truth be told I always had a big crush on him and I am pretty sure I was blushing the whole time I was talking to him. Ha! I haven't felt like that in a long time. All flustered because a cute boy was talking to me.

The kids did great in spite of crowds and noise and they were freaking elated that candy was being thrown. They were cool about trying not to eat anything brightly colored but they still ate a lot. Kai was having a great time choosing what other child around him to give each piece candy we decided not to eat. For all his obnoxious behavior and lack of manners in most situations, his good heart really shines through. He'd be like, "Catch! I have a surprise for you!" He told me the most important thing he learned today is that tootsie rolls are disgusting.
    Last edited by Bridget; 03-17-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I went to the parade in madison today and then we had lunch at the dive bar I used to hang out at. Seemed like a good place to not have to wait for a table and we were right. I couldn't believe when we walked in and it was the same bartender from 10 years ago!! He owns it now. He walked by me and did a double take and came over to give me a hug and I was so surprised that he recongnized and remembered me and was so happy to see me! Truth be told I always had a big crush on him and I am pretty sure I was blushing the whole time I was talking to him. Ha! I haven't felt like that in a long time. All flustered because a cute boy was talking to me.
    Awww...that's so sweet!

Kai sounds like a true darling. What a sweet boy. I'm glad you & the kids had fun.

I finally took Syd out for her dinner & shopping. I'd promised her a mommy/daughter day for her birthday. Since it's on Christmas, I always try to do something special for her so that she doesn't feel robbed. She opted to get these ugly hightop sneakers of some important name (I don't remember and they're truly hideous!). I think they're supposed to be skater sneakers, but I'm not sure. I'm very uncool. Zumiez had a special, buy one pair get the 2nd 1/2 off. They were a bit pricey but she has two pair of good sneakers so she should be set for a while. She was on cloud nine. She dyed her hair black, her sneakers are black (one pair red/black, the other gray/black), and she's bought more and more dark clothes...but she picked out a pink and purple Nike bag, a pink speaker thing to connect to her iPhone, and she has a penguin phone case with a pink bow on her head. She's a hybrid-a 'dark' girl who loves Eminem, as well as a spunky girl that likes girlie colors.

As much as I hate shopping, I had a great time with Syd.

Aww Chrissy, how fun

So...my manager & I were supposed to sit in her cube as we do every day and attend a phone conference regarding the migration to O365. She started in about how Obama took money away from the military's education budget. I said I wasn't going to discuss it (we'd previously had heated debates about politics) and she repeated herself. I got up and walked to my own cube and called from my own phone for the webex conference. Now she's refusing to even take a break with me.

Why is it so difficult to understand that both sides of the political party dumped in lots of things that were so horrible they thought for sure the other side would never let the this happen, and both were wrong. I blame both parties for the mess we're in. But Obama isn't a dictator. He didn't put anything into action all by himself.

Suja, I'm so sorry about Khan. Thoughts going out to you, Mira and your dh for peace and comfort. It's so hard to say goodbye to a good and loyal friend.

Janet, that's so cute about Maiya and the big boys! She really does have good social skills, and how great that she wasn't upset.

Chrissy, I'm sorry about the stuff you have to deal with at work. Your date with Syd sounds wonderful! It can be tough to connect with teens, but it sounds like you really know and respect her as a person, and can appreciate all of her qualities and have fun together. Recipe for a healthy mom-teen daughter relationship!

Bridget, Kai is such a sweetheart. I love that he was so excited to share what he couldn't eat. And I agree -- Tootsie Rolls are kind of disgusting.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I agree about the tootsie rolls! One of Rich's friends recently bought me some because they saw them in the shop and since they are American candy, I guess they figured I like them. They've been sitting in the cupboard ever since!

Mmmm Tootsie Roll Pops. I'm not a big candy person but that is one that I like!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I don't really like Tootsie Rolls or Pops. For candy I like sour chewy things, mainly. Sometimes I like assorted chocolates.

Suja, I am so very sorry about Khan.

---

I love Tootsie pops but hate a tootsie rolls.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I don't like candy. Mostly because it hurts my teeth to eat something so sweet.
    Chrissy, sorry about your co-worker. How unprofessional!

Speaking of candy, i let Kai have a piece of candy from the parade today, about an hour before karate class. I usually avoid red dye like the plague, especially for him with all of his food sensitivities. It was one of those round peppermint type candies that are red and white. I can't be sure the candy was to blame but he was just awful in class. Not following directions, not yelling in unison with the other children when they were supposed to repeat the martial arts code but instead yelling after in a loud obnoxious voice. He also kept punching his teacher instead of the punching bag. I mean, it was totally playful and not hard and I know he thought he was being funny. Still. The whole class he was just off. It's the only time I have ever addressed him during class and went to offer him a drink from his water bottle taking that chance to tell him if he didn't start to focus and listen that we would be leaving. He did slightly better after that. I the end they were supposed to freeze in a martial arts pose every time the teacher tagged them and Kai did one with his finger up his nose and one sucking his thumb. Every parent in the room turned away to laugh into the wall. Even the teacher closed his eyes, looked at the ground and I could see his shoulders shaking. At the end of class he came up to me and said Kai has great sense of humor. I told him if he could only figure out when to use it and when to reign it in. And I thanked him for his patience. Kai and I had a talk about his behavior and how it might have been the candy. I am excited for our next superflex lesson which gets really into the exact functions of the brain. (Thanks again Mandy!)

Oh, dang, Suja. I keep thinking about Khan all day and then forgetting to mention when I come in here. I'm sorry for you and I hope that it brings all of you peace. Hugs, my friend.

Did anyone end up making the cauliflower pizza crust?

Brrrrr, it snowed AGAIN today and it's the blowing drifting stuff. Of course the garage door I use to let Cosmo out faces the west so the wind usually hits hard there. And I was going to make breaded pork chops for dinner....thought about them all day but got home and decided the meat looked off and tossed it. End up with defrosted chili and some buttered noodles. I think I have 6-7 boxes of pasta left to get through before we give the gluten free a try. I think that the books I ordered from amazon will come tomorrow.

Suja I have been thinking of you.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I've made it and it's great.

And hell yes it's cold and so windy that the snow keeps hitting my windows and making me jump.

I'm sorry, Suja. I know that you are going to be so sad.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I somehow missed the cauliflower crust recipe.

Bridget, it was probably the sugar. Since he rarely has candy it probably affected him a lot. Josh is off the wall after eating sweets sometimes.

I suppose it could have been the sugar but it was only one piece of candy, you know? Plus, we aren't sugar free. I buy maple yogurt (it has like 20grams of sugar!) and we use honey and maple syrup like it's going out of style.

No kidding about maple syrup! I was looking at that...getting a real one because I currently have a light one that I'm pretty sure has gluten in it. But that amount of sugar would make me so sick. Looked at the label and that went back on the shelf. I can hardly handle a piece of french toast now without getting sick from the sugar rush.

Seriously I am not a summer lover but I'm so beyond ready for spring. Took me like 15 minutes trying to get all the snow and ice off my van after work and my hands were so cold from the wind. It's not that it's so cold but the wind is just awful and snow kept hitting my glasses. I wear gloves but they are just leather for work....my heavy duty ones are at home because I cannot drive without things on.
    The plow was just down my street so Molly has been whining for 20 minutes. She is terrified of the plow.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I know, Jennifer. I seriously don't know how much longer I can live in WI. Before kids it didn't seem so bad but being stuck inside or taking 20 minutes to get ready to go outside for 15 minutes is just BRUTAL.

And yeah, I usually buy one maple and one plain and mix them together. We've been talking so much about sugar lately because the kids are just always asking me if they can have this or that (another symptom of being stuck inside) so been checking labels and that maple yogurt is our highest one. We're on a point system so they can decide what sugar they want each day.

Our kitty Tigger died today. Not totally unexpected, but still so sad.

Chrissy, I'm so sorry. I hope it was peaceful and that you can find some comfort. Are the kids upset?

I'm also sorry -- although not at all in the same way -- for those of you battling the cold. I don't know how people can stand it up north. Here the coldest it gets is in the high 30s... most of the winter it's in the 40s and 50s. And I still wear wool socks and a down coat and sleep under an electric blanket and have rice bags and hot water bottles. I think if I had to deal with snow and ice and 0 degree weather I would just weep all winter long. And not to gloat, although I think Janet and L did a little of that earlier in the week, but we've been having some lovely weather over here on the west coast. Over the weekend it was in the 70s. We spent it boating on the river. We didn't swim -- the river is runoff and it's freezing! -- but the sun was great. And today Noe spent all day running around the backyard in a dress and bare feet, digging in the garden and stacking wood scraps, until dark. And we had the sliding doors all open to let in the fresh air -- I just closed them now at 8:30. So anyone out there who wants a bit of sun, please come out our way.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Conner doesn't know. Syd and Bobbie were very upset. I haven't talked to Jesi (she's still not talking to me for storming into her store and going off and the manager and his wife about their sexual harassment).

I'm moving in with you. I seriously get very, very depressed in the winter. The first smell of fall makes me want to cry, literally, because I know what follows and how long it is until spring gets here. And every year, I swear is harder for me than the last. I do not like anything at all about winter. Not one thing. Hate hate hate the cold. Hate it. And I've never felt too hot in my life (not even in the 90's with 90% humidity). I LOVED it! I could stand winter better if it were shorter, but up here it's really only warm (to me) from June (if I'm lucky) until August. The rest of the year I'm varying degrees of cold.