Page 1318 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 31881812181268130813161317131813191320132813681418 ... LastLast
Results 39,511 to 39,540 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I see the reasoning from a child development perspective, but really, I do have a big problem with an employer telling an employee what to eat. I'm glad your employer didn't really push it with you. They really went after my mother about that.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

LOL Myles, very cute!

I agree with Mandy, Bridget. It doesn't make sense for you to throw away food and for them to be hungry. I'd probably ask them to bring their own food. But, like Myles mentioned, maybe there are some "bridge" foods? I don't know, though -- pb&j, sliced cheese, milk... that's really typical kid food. If they won't eat that, well, jeez. I know it would be really hard for you to serve them absolute junk every day, even if it was brought by the parents. How can kids be healthy and energetic on nothing but donuts, froot loops, hot dogs and chocolate milk? I guess I'd keep trying with the family to come up with a list of foods that the kids will eat that are okay to be served in your house. If the kids end up at a regular school someday, there might be food rules, too. Lots of places ban junk food in lunches, so the parents are going to have to get their kids used to eating real food at some point. Right? (I mean, i hope?)
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Our daycare only provides snacks, so we have been packing JoJo's lunch forever. I would just have them do that. But I wouldn't blame it on the fact that they don't like the food, just say your business model is changing or something.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

The rule in Josh's class is that they're supposed to bring in a healthy snack but then they're served junk for lunch. I have to laugh at the mozzerella stick day. Yep...mozzerella stick lunch. With like, canned veg on the side.

What if you had more choices--would it be too much work to plan out a monthly lunch menu and send it home so the parents can look it over with their kids and prepare them for what you're serving every day? Have a main meal and a fallback sandwich or something. That's what Josh's school does. They do a meal and they have the same sandwiches all the time that the kids can get instead.

The thought of planning meals a month in advance makes me shudder! lol. That was suggested to me by my food rep from usda as well but it's just so against my nature! I plan the week and even that is daunting sometimes! Oh and there are always lots of choices. I will make pb&J if they don't want my lunch. Difference being if I make it on the bread I buy for SAvana (she is not gluten free but I can't homemake bread anymore because that would just be cruel to Kai since his favorite thing in the world was fresh baked bread) they won't eat it. I used some white bread that I had frozen from when my aunt was here ages ago and they ate most, but still complained about my peanut butter!

Just keep a jar of jiff on hand for them. And cheap white bread. Saves you money and gets them eating. Plus it's not like you are giving them a lunchable. I don't think having the same thing for lunch is a bad thing.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thanks Mandy! It was weird, just glad it's working correctly again. And things here are amazing! My IUI failed, of course, but I'm trying not to focus on that. The good news is that the doctors said I can "try" an unmedicated cycle this time, but we can still do an IUI. That will be interesting! And hubby said that he does really want another baby, so he wants us to try as often and as soon as possible. That surprised me, in a good way.

Aw, Jennifer, sorry about that! You just need to come visit. ; ) If it helps, we are DESPERATELY low on rain, it will a drought summer for sure...

Funny story about dogs barking... My current dog, an Australian Shepherd, hardly ever barks. The dog before him, an Akita, used to NEVER bark. She was my search and rescue dog, so I was constantly looking for cool new things to train her on. We did everything- rubble piles, rappeling, even hot loads in a helicopter. Plus the basics, like sit, stay, down, come. So one day I got the brilliant idea to teach my COMPLETELY silent, never make a sound dog, to bark on command. It took a while, but I finally did. Yay!! ...she never shut up again. Hah! Be careful what you wish for...

It will be a LONG time until Maiya is ready for something like Star Wars... Like N, she is very sensitive. She gets scared with Diego... And she's never watched the Lion King movie, but I have the Broadway sound track in my car. She asks me to tell the story of each song "What's happening with this song?" And when we get to the part where Mufasa dies, she either tells me to turn it off, or tells me "I think this time the baby lion saves the daddy lion and he doesn't die!" Though I look forward to the days we can have family movie nights!

Aw, Suja, cute story about Mira and the spider... They try to be so brave and big!

Myles, B is so cute!!

Oh, Bridget, that is a tough situation... I can't speak from a provider's point of view, but as a mom, I know what I would want. Have you asked the parents what they want? I know you said they don't care what the kids eat, but do they have a preference between you continuing to feed them healthy meals, even if the go hungry, versus them bringing their own food? Have any parents compained about the kids coming home hungry?

As a mom, I would want you to continue to provide healthy food, and if they go hungry, they just go hungry. But that's me, and I DO care what she eats! I agree with the "bridge foods" idea. Can you just keep some healthy, kid friendly snacks around? Like cheese slices, fruit slices, veggies with dip? Maybe just make ONE PB&J sandwhich, cut it in to small cubes and split it between all the picky kids, and give them some of the "munchies", and let them eat what they will?

I'm having a dilemma ladies... Maiya's birthday party is outside, and I can't figure out the date. Weather is so unpredictable now! I've been watching the month's weather forecast, and except for the last few days, cold, cloudy and rainy was predicted for the end of March and beginning of April. But it seems the forecast was wrong, because now next weekend is looking GORGEOUS, and the next three are all nasty. I'm really, really wanting to throw her birthday party next weekend, but that is literally only one week away. Too short of notice! But April is looking so cold and nasty, that otherwise it will probably end up being in May.

I SHOULD just do it indoors like everyone else, but she is such an outdoor girl, and has been talking for months about her birthday party at the park...

I mean, obviously I'm not going to spring a one-week's notice birthday party on everyone (especially since I'm hoping to bribe my brother and SIL and their boy to drive out from Utah, hah!). But I sure wish I could. Or that I could control the weather. Either one!

Bridget, want me to scan and send you Mira's lunch menu from school? The menu will be pre-planned for you, one month at a time, and no thinking! It isn't terrible either, and I'm sure you can make more or less healthy versions if you want.

Janet, I'm SO sorry...I know just how it feels.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I have a work conference all day on the 23rd, but we could come to a party on the 24th, Janet.

Suja, thanks for the offer. It's not the making of the menu so much as the planning what to have so far in advance. I don't even always know when I can get to the grocery store since we don't shop in town. I'm not doubting that meal planning might help with my organization but it's just not my style! I make a general plan on Sunday what I will serve during the week and pre make whatever I can. The kids are involved in preparation, setting the table, clearing the table, sweeping the floor, etc. I even offer choices when I can. Like, oatmeal or cereal (I did buy some cheerios for the first time ever!) and they will choose oatmeal but then say it doesn't taste right, or ask for sugar and then say they don't want it. I will encourage them to eat it since they did ask for it but I will not battle children at mealtimes. I think I may ask that they pack a lunch and I will do snacks and breakfast.

I am so,nervous that I am going to lose this tooth. It's loose. And I don't even want to know the price on getting a fake one.

Janet, could you do 2? One with local friends more spur of the moment and one with family?

Bridget, I think it would be totally ok to have jarred peanut butter, salami, and that sort of thing on hand just for your daycare kids.

I've been overwhelmed with work and stuff with Jesi and Rich. I have zero time for anything fun it seems. Yesterday, I nearly cried because I was already carrying a full plate of work and my stupid director kept dumping more and more stuff on me. One in particular could easily have been a full day's worth of work in and of itself.

It's funny, my immediate manager is so sweet. She's appreciative of the smallest thing. "OH THANK YOU!" she gushes-and it's really sincere. If I make a mistake or run out of time, she's always, "It's ok, we'll just _____" and she has instant solutions in her head as a work around. She never, ever brings it up again. Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, I'm the one that's going to her and saying, "I found I made a mistake with ____." I don't think she's ever come to me with anything. Anyway, the director is never grateful. She's always emailing or coming out of her office with more work. More and more and MORE work. "Oh, you did 10 things at once? How about you try 15 and they're all due in an hour." Ok, that is an exaggeration, but the point is the same. No matter how intense my workload, it's never enough with her. I could always do more. And that attitude makes me just want to do less. Yesterday afternoon I was so burned out I stopped doing all my work and went into the workroom and started organizing back there. It needs it, but we also have some priority projects going on.

Oh, that's the other thing. We always have more than 1 huge project going on at the same time, and there are really just 3 of us to carry the brunt of it. As we focus on one project to get it done and out of the way, she'll be harping about the status of the other huge one. Much of what's going on is detail specific and multi-tasking is not an option. I'm so **** frustrated.

I finally got full administrator rights to SCCM. Ted, the system administrator, has started introducing me to it. Lisa, the director, keeps interrupting with things we have to do 'right now.' I have zero time to poke around and even get familiar with the layout. I'm going to go to training and be completely lost. Everyone else in the class will have actual SCCM experience. I'm a little afraid I won't be able to keep up.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Bridget, I agree with Jen that I would get some cheap bread and Jif. I don't usually buy Jif either and my kids have never had it until recently since my aunt has been staying with us. Luckily they didn't like it because it was "too sweet."

Do the kids like smoothies. An easy fruit smoothie is a good option for them if they don't like lunch or I would just ask their parents to let them bring a lunch and give specific guidelines for lunch since they provided you a list of what the kids like. Something like salami sandwiches if your kids are eating chicken sandwiches wouldn't be a big deal. I wouldn't know how they would go over for that though. I would think they would want you to lower your price since people are just like that. I would just get them some regular bread and salami and fruit for their lunches or something. I certainly wouldn't continue to let them waste money by throwing away your good food. I barely even give my own kids our good food when it is something they don't like.

We are having some great weather here today too and I am trying to think of something to do. Elle just wants to go to the park. I am taking Ky over to his friend's house to play with the lego robot, but other than that I don't know...

And the 10% crazy isn't a typo, it is just evidence of the weirdness of DH's cousins. They are used to me being really nice since I am really nice most of the time and that was the first time I kind of "let them have it" in DH's words. So me being like that was really surprising to them.

I am also trying to plan a birthday get-a-way for myself. My birthday is next month on the 12th. Something just for a weekend by myself in my general area and am having problems. I was thinking of going to Las Vegas and then getting a tour of the grand canyon since I've never been there. Or going to NYC to see a play or something. I cannot decide. So many decisions....

Erin

OMG Erin, NYC and Vegas/the Grand Canyon are all amazing.

Bridget, I still think if they don't like what you serve they should bring their own. You're not a restaurant. Maybe work in some lessons on nutrition, show them visually how much sugar is in the PB they like, or how much salt is in that salami, and how it can hurt their bodies. You don't want to go over their parents' heads, on the other hand, and make them feel bad for giving trash to their kids. Or do you? LOL

I won't lie, we have fast food and gross stuff more often than we probably should but then I try to balance out the rest of the day. DH has started working Saturdays so I took Josh to IHOP for breakfast today. Chocolate milk and pancakes with strawberry syrup for breakfast! But now I need to make sure he eats healthy for the rest of the day.

Chrissy, I'm sorry you're so overworked! I think sometimes upper management is so above it all they don't have a grasp on how much a person can do in a day. Or they don't care.

Janet, I'd probably throw together an outdoor party whenever you know it's going to be nice out, and invite whoever can make it on short notice, and then maybe have a second, simple party more in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    OMG Erin, NYC and Vegas/the Grand Canyon are all amazing.
    I've been to two of the 3, and the Grand Canyon wins hands down in my book. And I hate gambling...the lights, noise, people. Ick. No thank you. Go to the Grand Canyon!

Erin, a trip to London would be good! You could see a show there and everyone will love your accent!

Jennifer, I have never heard of eating needles with just butter on them...sounds kinda yummy, but I've always had a sauce for noodles/pasta. We're really in to peanut satay at our house lately.

Bridget, I think you definitely should ask the daycare parents to start bringing a packed lunch or start stocking some things the kids will eat. At Cash's daycare they all eat the same home-cooked meal; they are all made from whole foods and they are really proud of that. That's really sad that those kids won't eat your food. Travis can be a little bit picky at times for me, but when he goes to his auntie's house after school most days, he will eat whatever she puts in front of him (they eat a lot of fishy things we don't eat at our house like tuna and salmon).

Travis made me laugh yesterday. He was telling me about the 2 nine year old girls who like to mother him at the after-school club that he goes to once a week and he said, "Mummy, guess what M and C call me." I was thinking to myself what on earth could they call him, so he was like, "They call me Trav....and I don't like it!" The thing is, everyone calls him Trav! Every time I said his name today I was like, "Trav-------is." LOL.

Ash, I actually would love to go to London but money for that kind of trip is not available right now. I would rather go some where outside of the country period. I was thinking of going to Belize as well and still might but I only have a little bit of time to take off from work and would rather wait until I have 7-10 days to go and not just do one weekend. I am also just thinking of staying closer to home and visiting the Savannah resort area (Tybee, St. Simon's Island, Jekyll Island, etc) and maybe take the kids, which may sound mean, but I don't want to do. I like taking a trip by myself for my birthday and DH has been working my nerves lately as have the kids and I'd rather get away from them, but I do think they'd love to go and since we have a free car rental due to our last rental having mechanical problems, I might just take the free car and just pay gas for a 4.5 hour trip to Savannah area.

I was thinking of doing the GC via Vegas because flying to and staying in Vegas would be cheaper. I am trying to do the whole trip for $500 or less, but can up it to $700 if I want (don't want to due to being cheapo me). I don't like drinking or gambling so would only go for the tour of the GC.

Too cute about Travis and his older girls! Maybe he doesn't want them to baby him so much so would rather be called his proper name lol.

Erin

Erin, we don't have the cache of Vegas or NYC, but you can do A LOT in DC for that kind of money. I think Air Tran has non stop flights for not a lot of money.

I don't know when you were planning to go, but check the weather in GC before you do (http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisi...-condition.htm ). It is at a pretty significant elevation, gets plenty of snow, and if it is too cold, it won't be easy to enjoy it. The North Rim is not even open until May. We went to that general area in 2009, before I had the kid, and I MUCH preferred Zion and Bryce to GC. Bryce might be too cold, but Zion wouldn't be. If you can do Bryce, I would strongly recommend it. The formations are spectacular.

we went to gc in late March and it was 65 degrees. locals were wearing winter coats. me and my kids had sweaters, and I believe I was wearing shorts.

I gotta say, Ithaca is Gorges. :-)

The temps can be quite variable. Highs generally in 50s and mid 60s, lows in the 30s. This also says that the temps are cold/freezing over 60% of the time: http://weatherspark.com/averages/303...-United-States

When we went in September, days were warm, sometimes a little hot, and nights quite cool. Something like a 30 degree temperature drop.

The weather on the Colorado plateau (where the GC is) varies a lot and it can be quite cold in March. I lived in Flagstaff (closest city) for a while and it was often snowy into April. But the canyon is definitely an amazing sight. I've never been to Zion, but I hear it's incredible.

I was quite let down by the canyon. We did Zion and Bryce first, and those were so much better. GC was just really **** big.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I've been camping on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It is beautiful, and it is huge. I think where you go may have some impact on the actual outcome of the experience, too.

But Zion and Bryce are probably much better for "Oh wow, this is incredible" right here and now and for beautiful pictures and hikes. All of those places can be cold in the Spring.

You know what's not cold in the Spring? Bay Area, California. That's right. My kids have been running around in shorts and t-shirts and asking to go to the beach. DH has re-started his twice daily showers because he's sweating. I have actually removed one layer of fleece, and wore sandals yesterday.

I just took this picture yesterday when I was trying to figure out which of the blooming flowers smelled so good:

We have museums, nightlife, opera, concerts, the ocean, Napa and Sonoma wineries, amusement parks, tons of areas to explore on foot or by car, outdoor recreation, and a host of lovely people.

---------------

Bridget, there are some sorta-compromises you can get for lunches. DD is very picky. She only likes smooth bread ("AAAUUGH! That bread has seeds! I can't eat it!), only likes smooth peanut butter, etc.) Sara Lee makes a very inexpensive whole wheat bread that is 'soft and smooth' and doesn't have HCFS or artificial colors or flavors. It probably has stuff you wouldn't want for your own kids, and isn't organic, but would be palatable to kids that have a hard time eating the food you make. Same for peanut butter. You could get a big jar of Jiff Natural to keep on hand for the daycare kids without buying the more expensive and organic foods, but there is no hydrogenated oil.

I would add that the one less-than-positive thing about my kids' daycare is the food. It's mostly good, but I do not like that they have dessert with every lunch. My twins were 18 months before they had their first dessert or sweet. However, I would FAR rather that they eat during the day (S. is the only one still going there, but I feel the same way about school lunch) than be offered exemplary nutritious food all the time and not eat it. I know for sure that DD would not eat at your house. She has not eaten anything for Thanksgiving dinner for years in a row, despite having a taste of about 15 different things on her plate. Luckily, I've gotten her to stop shrieking at stuff in public. She won't take a no-thank-you bite. S. is showing the same impending levels of pickiness, and it doesn't help that his older sister is sitting at the table screaming about how horrible something is. So of course he doesn't want to try it. R. is also getting pickier, but he likes completely different things than his sister. He likes guacamole and mangoes and miso soup, whereas she likes typical kid food.

Kai is extremely picky eater and has a very sensitive gag reflex. The poor kids LOVES all things bread and does not like most gluten free options. So I am already catering to him while trying to keep him healthy since a lot of the gluten free options have additives that I don't like. I think that is a lot of the reason I am daunted too. I feel like I'm catering to a lot of different things at each meal and it's a lot of work that takes away from my time just being with the kids. I did pick up the natural jiffy peanut butter and also some lighter bread that was decent but not that I would buy for us. No hfcs but still a long list of ingredients. One of my fears is that if I start buying more of these types of things that my kids are going to want it to. Not having it available to them has always made it easy.

I think it might warrant a conversation with their parents about the issue of lunch. You can tell them you're concerned that they're going home hungry, but you don't want to have those options available to your kids as it might grow to be difficult to refuse them. Although, if you have 'daycare food' and keep it strictly at that, it could work.

I do think that if I were a parent that had food included in daycare and suddenly I was asked to bring a lunch, I would have expected a fee reduction as well.

------

I'm really getting concerned. Rich has met someone and while I'm happy he's moving on with his life, I'm alarmed that their first 'date' they included their kids and called it a "playdate" Rich has never done a playdate and I hate Conner being involved in this. It's been like a week and they're already talking about making it a 'permanent' relationship and Rich wants me to get my stuff out of the house.

I really don't want Syd and Conner in the middle of that. I'm afraid things are going to get really, really ugly.

That's tough, Chrissy. Syd is old enough that I don't think it would affect her too badly, but Conner is SO young!

Put in a call to the vet's office today. It's time to let Khan go. I'm hoping that his regular vet can come home tomorrow to do it.

I'm so sorry Suja.

And those were my thoughts exactly, Conner is too young. We'd agreed we'd have to be dating for a solid 6 months and everything must be looking like it was going forward before he would be involved. The first girl that comes along and Rich does the exact opposite.