Page 1317 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 31781712171267130713151316131713181319132713671417 ... LastLast
Results 39,481 to 39,510 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Oooh, thanks so much for the cauliflower pizza crust recipe!!! It looks delicious, and it's something I can eat! yay!!! I'll be trying that this weekend ...

I like Josh's new pic too. So grown up, and I love the hands under the chin.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

That siggy really is too cute Kate!!!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I cannot see DH waiting that long to watch Star Wars with our little dude. Especially the first ones, the older three. the very most recent one I thought was kind of scary so might try to old off on that. I am guessing DH was about 5 when we first saw them in the theater.

Myles definitely let me know about the pizza crust. We do like cauliflower and of course pizza. I just need to not make my very flour filled crust...seriously it's 2.25-2.5 cups for one crust.

No my digestive tract was forever changed. I had a RNY procedure where they cut a tiny pouch....they start very very very small because it does eventually stretch to a normal sized one. Additionally they bypassed the first 5-6 feet of small intestine so I absorb calories, alcohol and vitamins differently and less. Nice part is the new pouch didn't have much digestive juice so I rarely get heartburn and if I do it is mild. Bad part is I still have to really be careful to chew my food....if I get a chunk too big in there, it hurts for a good 20-30 minutes. Or if I overeat by even just a few bites, the pain again for 20-30 minutes. It's a pretty bad pain and I pretty much lie on my left side just trying to breathe. Thankfully I am generally pretty smart and only forget every so often. the other thing is dumping syndrome but I never had that very strong....some people have it pretty bad. That happens if too much fat or sugar is consumed and you get a whole host of symptoms...flushing, throwing up, heart racing. That I am pretty good at avoiding and only had a strong episode maybe a handful of times.
    you would think it would be hard with all that going on to regain it but I managed to get about 50% of my loss back. I knew I would regain but wanted to keep it more like 15-20% tops.
    In the beginning, if you ate with me, you totally would know something was up. But I'm 8.5 years out from it so you would never know it if we went out to dinner.
    Funny thing is after surgery, i couldn't burp anymore. For a long time after I actually had to have DH burp me. Even now I am still not able to do it all that easily but I at least can.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thanks guys for the compliments on the pic! I realized when I was looking through my pics I don't have many of Josh holding still. LOL

I have a really great one of him goofing around with my aunt and uncle's dog, but it's not Bo, so I feel weird using it. I'll post it here though, because I think it's really nice.

557664_10200559239882802_952423863_n.jpg
    Woops, that was supposed to appear, not be a link. Oh well!

He just had picture day today, so I hope it'll be a good one!
    Last edited by daylilies; 03-14-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Just checking in again. Been busy and my office is still occupied.

I have been reading here and on FB though in the computer lab at work. It was hilarious today because my old job called me, wanting me to answer questions about the work I was doing. They never hired anyone to do my job and the job I was doing there has to be done every day or there will be issues during audits. I know they have an audit coming up toward the end of the month and that they will fail it. A good friend of mine still works there and they have her doing a small portion of my old job lol. She is a social worker and I did procurement and contract administration so she doesn't know what the hell she is doing - which she admits. So it will be nice to see them fail. Heh heh!!

Gretchen that is horrible about your DH's family. I don't have any advice since that situation is so heartbreaking. I know I get upset when my DH's family mistreats him as well. They treat him like a child (even though he does act like a child a lot lol). The way they speak to him is very demeaning IMO and we have gotten into little spats about it (they now think I am 10% crazy - their words!). But nobody messes with him. Even though he is a trip and gets on my freaking nerves, I just think they can be very inconsiderate selfish people. Last time I went off on them because they wanted to host a meeting at our house, this was a while ago when DH was the only one working (he was working 2 jobs) and it was somewhat of a burden for us to host this family meeting as we had to supply a lot of food and drinks as they like to partake in alcohol, and expensive alcohol like hard liquors for all family events. So we spent all that money and they didn't even show up and tried to chide DH about it when he complained like he was a child - the little kid brother. DH is the youngest of all his family in our area and was the baby of the family until his younger brother was born and many of his cousins and aunts/uncles still treat him like an annoying kid. So I went off on them and now they think I'm 10% crazy. But now they show up when we host family get-togethers. And they will mention how they don't want me to go off on them so they better come to our house even though we are now "rich" lol. We are not rich by any means but they are weirdos.

Chrissy, I hope your brother doesn't have to kick this Todd guy's ass. Sounds like he needs it but I don't want him to get in trouble. I had to take HR training on sexual harrassment and one of the things we were taught was that younger people - especially teenage girls to young twenties are usually the ones target for sexual harrassment due to feeling they may be to blame or that no one will believe them. I would really contact Valero about this creep. If they don't take you seriously, you can sue the crap out of them and no company wants that.

I just heard that the guy who made our company have to get sexual harrassment training got a new job at an apartment community. He was fired after over 5 complaints of sexual harrassment and after it was found out that when he was a manager he was having young women perform oral sex on him in exchange for rent, which is freaking disgusting and stomach turning. I heard he is a manager at another low income community and am tempted to give them an anonymous call about his past.

Erin

Erin-it's so good to see you! That manager is a sick b@sterd. Ugh. I'm kinda glad your former employer is struggling so bad. Sucks to be them. I hope you didn't help them.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Hello all!

I haven't been able to get on here in something like a week, it looks like I missed a lot! Just glad it's working again, and seems to be back to normal. I was finally able to update my siggie. I loved the Rainbow Brite one, but I like change.

Since there's no way I'll be able to catch up... Let me just brag about our GORGEOUS weather! It was amazing yesterday, 80 degrees and sunny. We spent it swimming at the lake. Ah, good times... Maiya was even able to pee off in the bushes and NOT pee randomly on the grass at home. Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Mandy, how is Idol this year? I haven't watched it at all.
    It feels like a different show with all the new people, but it's a good change. Keith Urban is definitely a plus. And the women, well, drama! Not in a bad way, though. And for the most part, they all give actual constructive criticism. As a singer, I like hearing someone like Mariah Carey actually give pointers on how someone can step up their performance. In that respect it's way better than last year!

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Perhaps Bridget & Kai could help you construct a pair out of garbanzo beans.
    I'll say to you what I said to Bridget - the texture would just be wrong! Uncooked garbanzo beans would be way too hard for boobage, and cooked would be just bleah!

Erin, Yay! That's too funny about your old job wanting your help. I have that same vindictive streak and would enjoy watching them take a fall.

Janet, glad you managed to get back on. How is everything going?

I love all the new siggy pics! And Kate, that picture of Josh you linked to with the Other Dog is simple precious. He looks so happy!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Love the new siggy pics!!

The cauliflower pizza crust is awesome. I couldn't get Kai to eat it though. A meal is not complete around here unless gags and 1/2 throws up over the texture of something.
    I took the kids swimming at the Y last night and we did't get home until 8 and then they said they were hungry so didn't get to sleep until 9:30. Please let them sleep in or I am going to have a long day with tearful children.

Janet that is really unfair of you to brag about wonderful weather. It is snowing by me right now and we have a winter weather advisory. And another storm heading our way Monday. It makes it worse that last winter was so easy...only about 23 inches all season and last March was in the 60's. We are now pushing 60 inches of snow for the season and more to come.
    We really need spring to get going finally in Wisconsin! I really need to be able to start getting the dogs outside more.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thanks Gwenn!

It was partially because of their dogs (they have two Basset Hounds) that we decided to get Bo. My aunt and uncle and their kids (who are now in their 20's so not really kids anymore I guess!) love dogs. I was honestly always a little afraid of them but when I saw their hounds and how laid back they were I decided not all dogs were excitable things that smell funny. LOL And look, we got a pretty excitable dog anyway!

I might have to watch Idol then! It would be nice to hear criticism other than "make it your own" LOL. I always liked that bit of advice but felt like they needed to explain what that actually means to certain people.

That is an adorable picture Kate! Yeah bassets tend to be pretty laid back. Bo will get less excitable as he gets older but even older dogs get excited when their people are around. I do love the beagle personality though...very sweet and good family dog. I see a lot more beagle in Molly than poodle. Only thing poodle about her is long skinny legs. Other than that, she acts more beagle and looks like a petit vendeen basset griffon except with poodle and not basset legs. Which is funny because in watching dog shows, DH always has loved the looks of the PVBG and we ended up with a dog with those looks.....and we didn't mean to. Molly looks nothing like she did as a puppy when we got her. tired poogle.jpgMolly and Cosmo on the floor.jpg
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 03-15-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Wow, she does look really different! The bassets are so funny..the only thing I didn't like about them is that they're constantly barking. We both said we really didn't want a noisy dog. And Bo isn't at all. He's unusually quiet for a beagle.

It's funny, Bo sleeps all day and the minute DH gets home he wants to play. I think he gets it that DH is the more high energy one.

OH yeah the barking drives me crazy. I was thinking of a sheltie until I read that they are big barkers. Cosmo is pretty loud, she likes to hear her own voice I think. Outside she isn't as bad unless we are playing football or a dog walks past. Inside Molly is pretty quite unless she sees something out the window. Outside she will bark at anything. It's a work in progress because really someone should be able to get their mail 8 houses down the street. Molly barks...she tried out the beagle bay for about two weeks when we got her home but decided on a very deep big dog sounding bark.

The girls sleep all day too. I come home and it's all heck breaking loose. Evenings are pretty active but they like going to bed with me. Yesterday DH was up late...he normally goes to bed in the morning about 11am. Well it was 1pm and he was on the computer and Molly was sitting behind him crying because she was ready for her day nap. LOL

Molly definitely surprised us looks wise. We didn't expect that because Cosmo has always looked like Cosmo.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh hey, welcome back Erin! I missed your post before. 10% crazy isn't too bad! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Oh hey, welcome back Erin! I missed your post before. 10% crazy isn't too bad! LOL
    Ha, I thought the same thing reading her post. Only 10%? That's pretty good! Glad to hear from you, Erin.

Myles, that's so cute about your dh telling the Star Wars story. We are fans here too, but it will probably be some years before N is ready for any of those movies. She's a sensitive one -- she gets freaked out sometimes watching episodes of Little Bear and Kipper, and there are some Richard Scarry stories she says are "too scary."
    I'm going to look for you on fb now...
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Seriously 10% is NOTHING. I thought it was a typo and supposed to say 100%! I'm way more than 10% crazy and I think anyone who knows me irl would tell you that.

We recently watched the old star wars movies and the kids like them, Kai's been checking out a lot of library books that are star wars. But I know he was scared and I know the new ones with the more moder graphics would scare him. He gets very scared very easily. I know some people (irl) think I am an old fuddy duddy about making sure our movies are tame but Kai trusts me to not show his scary stuff so I feel obligated. He gets mad at me if I don't! Dbf brought home that Transylvania (?) and I had to ax it when I looked it up online because it would have mortified Kai.

I thought it was supposed to be 100% too!

The only movie Mira and I "watched" together - she was playing, and it was on TV was The Princess and The Frog. Even then, without any violence, when the mood changed or something became a little dark, she noticed and asked to turn it off. I'm in no hurry to get her to watch much of anything; kids get too much screen time anyway, and at some point, she will become more adament about it.

She picked out a book yesterday that scared her only 3 weeks back. She insisted that it did not scare her this time because "I'm a big girl now", but when we were reading it (love story; the bad guy was a handsome spider), she kept moving closer and closer to me, all the while insisting that she's most definitely NOT scared.

It's not being a fuddy duddy to monitor what kids watch. You know the kid and if they are scared easily, it's the logical and right thing to do. Being a little scared is fun....being a lot scared is awful.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I kind of wish Josh were more scared of things. I know that sounds weird, but nothing phases him. I like horror and I have an online community I go to (that one I posted a few months ago that I got chosen to help mod-and it's so fun!) that posts creepy stories, pictures, movies, etc. Josh has seen some of it by accident and isn't bothered.

Do you mean Hotel Transylvania, Bridget? We watched that at home with Josh. I fell asleep. Josh liked it. I'm glad we didn't waste the money seeing at the theater. We also saw Frankenweenie and Paranorman which were pretty dark (but really good). I worry more about violence than about creepy subject matter.

Yeah, that's the one. Kai is scared of creepiness, violence, even some wildlife stuff scares him. He is just very tenderhearted. I love him for it. Savana gets annoyed because she doesn't get so scared but we can't really separate everyone for movie night or it defeats the purpose! On the occassion that Kai watches a movie alone because he is sick or something, he almost always chooses Little Bear which I love. Little Bear never gets old!

Question for y'all. We are on a stricter budget now that I'm not doing full daycare. The kids I am taking care of now will not eat the food I serve them. Today I had to throw away 2 whole pieces of organic bread, the organic pb and jelly that was on it, 2 organic cheese slices and dumped a cup of organic milk. I'm always dumping out oatmeal (it's not sweet enough "Where's the SUGAR Miss Bridget??) burritos, pizza slices. Any of you who buy this stuff will understand how twitchy that makes me! It's so expensive! I try giving very small portions but even then, they nibble on it and tell me they don't like it. I have asked the parents to give me a list of what they like and what they eat at home and the lists include donuts for breakfast, salami, hot dogs, corn, fruit loops, white bread, chocolate milk. All of which I don't have. Should I get it for them and make their lunches individually? I mean, the donuts, chocolate milk, fruit loops are a no go for sure because, well, no. But is it awful if I make my kids organic chicken breast sandwhich and give the others salami? I keep thinking they will eventually get used my food but it's been a couple of months now and I am basically sending them home hungry. I know that it might be easier to have parents pack lunches...but then I worry about my kids wanting all that stuff (Sawyer mostly since Kai's allergic to most of that and Savana just knows better). I also feel i might have to lower my prices if I start asking them to bring their own food. Maybe I can do breakfast and snacks and they can pack a lunch? What would you do? I just can't keep throwing out my good food.
    Last edited by Bridget; 03-15-2013 at 01:00 PM.

That is tricky. How do your prices compare to others in town? Aren't some of the kids getting state money for the care? I don't remember how many kids you have right now or how many families.

Do you think that the parents care about the organic part? Generally speaking, when I was doing this informally (it was full-time for more than one family but was only summers and I wasn't licensed or anything), families packed a lunch. Course I was only getting like $20 a day from a family.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Nah, they don't care. Yes, some are getting state money and the rate the state pays just keeps getting lower as WI takes away from those programs. And mom struggles so I take less than my rate for now. We'll address it again soon. I have 3 that eat breakfast and 2 that are here through lunch which includes a morning snack. In the summer I will have 4 for breakfast through lunch. My rate is $5 hr for part time.
    Last edited by Bridget; 03-15-2013 at 02:11 PM.

If they don't care, I would probably drop the organic and either have them bring a lunch or feed what they like. Isn't it normal for a daycare for the kids to all be eating different things?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I don't know. It's never been that way here. I have always made family style meals.

It's a hard call because family style is obviously easiest. But I too would hate to throw away really expensive food and have the kids go hungry when the parents don't really care about organic.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'd have them bring their own lunch.

Bridget, I'd hate to be in your shoes, but I think I'd wouldn't mind keeping a stock of foods that the other kids will eat (minus the sugary cereals) if they won't eat anything else. Then over time, you might be able to transition them over to your foods. I'm trying to brainstorm inexpensive foods that are still somewhat "whole" but that they would eat. How about homemade pancakes? Boiled eggs? Organic crackers with cheese and salami? "Pizza crackers" made with spaghetti sauce and cheese? Mac and cheese? Baked sweet potatoes? Smoothies? Boiled edamame? Homemade refried beans?

Do you prepare food with the kids as an activity? Sometimes when Bodhi thinks something is "disgusting" (which cracks me up to hear him pronounce), it's suddenly delicious when he helped make it himself.

Erin, it's always nice to hear from you. I agree with the others that 10% is not that much. I reckon we're all at least 10% crazy in here. LOL.

Just for fun, here is a pic of B doing his "Angry Bird" brows:

Bridget, I would probably have them bring their own food, too. I would simply explain that they are throwing away the food you serve, and since the result is both that the kids are hungry all day, and that good food is going to waste, you can't continue to feed them.

That reminds me of a question I had. Years ago my mother worked in a children's crisis center (for kids who have been removed from their homes). They had a little school on site and she was the teacher for the older elementary students. There were never very many, usually 3-4 kids at a time. The center had a policy that the staff would eat with the kids so the kids had family-style meals, which made sense because many of these kids had never experienced a family-style meal. My mother was overweight at the time and her doctor had ordered her to be on a diet, and well, they served crap that was not on her diet. State institutional quality food - you can imagine. I can't remember if she insisted on bringing a bag lunch, or if they told her she had to eat what they served, but it became a big issue and was one of the reasons she ended up quitting that job. Apparently they wanted to close the school anyway and were trying to get all the teachers to quit so they didn't have to lay them off and pay unemployment.

In my early 20's I briefly (very briefly, because the place was totally corrupt) worked in a daycare center, and they also told me I was required to eat with the kids and eat the same food they ate. I didn't stay there long enough to take it up with them, because I quit over the fact that they wanted me to stay after hours until all the kids were picked up and not pay me for it. Nope, sorry, I don't work for free. Is the food thing a normal practice at daycares and childcare centers? And does an employer have the right to tell their employees what food they are allowed to eat? I have a big problem with that.

In Bridget's case, well, it is your home and you cook your own food. And when can I come over? But I see that as a different situation as someone working for a big childcare institution.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

It was the rule at the center I worked at in the 90's. I was a vegetarian at the time so I used that as my reason to not eat the crap they served and no one really pushed the issue. It would actually come up occassionally that I wasn't following the rule and I just pointed out that I was modeling healthy eating. It would be one thing if I came in with soda and mcdonalds every day and ate it at the table with my three year olds.