Page 1312 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 31281212121262130213101311131213131314132213621412 ... LastLast
Results 39,331 to 39,360 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

She thought she sharted. That is my best guess. Or a premonition but let's hope for the former.

LOL Bridget! Maybe she farted.

Ha ha, Suja. That does seem to be one of those things where if you did it, you'd know. Maybe she just had gas? Noe still gets confused by that sometimes -- she's not entirely sure whether she's got gas or poop. She pooped in her undies the other day and when I asked her how it happened, she said, "It was a surprise!"

Speaking of N, we got her acceptance packet from the ritzy preschool by our house today. It's like college letters: we knew the day they were mailed out, and I kept checking the mailbox and hoping to see a big fat packet instead of a little skinny letter. It's a very strange notion to me, having to do interviews and tests and then applying and waiting to see if she got in ... to preschool. But it's a good school and literally just around the corner from our house, so the rigamarole was worth it. And I'm very glad to be done with it and have her school in place, because I really wasn't sure what I was going to do had she not gotten a spot. Wasn't thrilled with the other options. So that's a load off.

DD1 told me today she wants to quit the school swim team. I'm annoyed because it's such good, free exercise, and in general she's happier when she gets a lot of physical activity. Also, I just paid $63 for the team suit. But I get where she's coming from -- she's been getting overwhelmed with work in a couple of classes and feeling really stressed. We actually have an appointment on Monday with a therapist because she's been having random panic attacks at school. So while I know exercise is beneficial for stress, I think she does need more downtime in her day to get and keep herself together with her heavy load of schoolwork and her "job" (she is a very prolific artist who takes commissions online for artwork -- she charges between $35 and $50 per piece and she's building up quite a paypal account). So, I have mixed feelings about her quitting. I love how healthy and strong she is when she's getting two-hour daily workouts, but she probably does need to dial down her commitments.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Oh, that IS a tough call. I agree that the excersize is so important but so is down time. Congrats on the preschool!

Dbf and I aren't getting along very well since he has come home. I guess he thinks I'm ungrateful because the other night when the house was a mess and Sawyer was fussy, he asked me if there was anything he could do and I said it would be awesome if he cleaned the kitchen. So he went in there for awhile and then came back to sit down. After I got Sawyer to sleep I went to the kitchen. The dirty dishes were piled in the sink. The counters and the table were not wiped down, still crumbs and food everywhere. He hadn't swept. So basically he just put food away. I told him next time don't even bother because now I'm just annoyed that he offered to help and then did such a half assed job. He is shocked at my ungratefulness.

Kids had dental appts today and all is well. Phew.

Oh and the other issue is that I thought him traveling would make him more attentive to the children when he was home. He is constantly talking about how much work he has to do every day. First of all, he doesn't manage his time wisely at all. Like he will want to try to send out emails during the loudest and most active part of the day when he will have so many distractions instead of doing it after the kids go to bed or while we are outside. And when he does finally get spare time he chooses to go to the gym or snowmobiling. I feel so bad for them. He is missing so much. The other night I asked him to get me a pair of socks for Sawyer and it really hit me like a ton of bricks when he had no idea where I even keep Sawyer's clothes. He has never dressed him in 2 years.

Suja, what do you mean, no naked moon dancing? I do it every month! Y'all betterbe doing it too!

We went out with friends tonight and had a really good time. Our town used to have loads of oldy worldy pubs, but most have been shut down since our town got a huge indoors skiing place that has loads of bars in it. We still had a good time going around town and even met another American girl, but disappointingly, she wasn't very friendly-my Cajun friend and I put it down to her being "northern" as she was from California...we always do that as a joke, but in all honesty, I do notice that southerners and northerners are different as expats.

Gretchen, I think you're right about I andswimming. I feel your pain on the cost of it all! And well done to N for.getting in to school!

I had loads of vodka tonight and am feeling very tired now, so I'm going to head off to bed now and hope that I don't have a hangover in the morning (we have two birthday parties to go to in the morning!)

Congrats on the preschool! It's too bad she might quit swim team, but it sounds like she's overloaded. Maybe if she did a less competitive physical activity, it would be beneficial but not as stressful or time consuming.

Oh Bridget, that broke my heart when you said he didn't know where Sawyer's socks were. He really needs to get more involved. DH is kind of the same way with his time. He does his own thing before and after work and doesn't realize sometimes that he can't just stop and relax when he gets home. He may work but he's still a dad and husband when he gets home. On the positive side, he does clean, but that's because it really bothers him when things are not clean, like crumbs or plates everywhere like you described. I think he's one of those people who can't relax until things are neat--which is sort of a losing battle when you have kids! LOL

Aww, Bridget. I hope he wakes up and realizes what he's missing (and what his priorities and responsibilities need to be). What a shame.
    My dh is going through a "not helping with housework" phase right now too. I know he's been working hard for a year now and is really burned out, but so am I. He used to be really helpful with vacuuming, kitchen etc. and now he can't even be bothered to rinse out his lunch containers or dinner dishes, or put his soda cans in the recycling. It's maddening. When I mention it to him, he gets defensive and acts put-upon and says "So now I have something else I'm supposed to do, too?" I know he thinks that because I'm here all the time I should be happily doing it all. And I am glad to shoulder most of the household work, but I'm tired too and it would be nice if the other adult in the house would at least not ADD to the mess.

At least he has a sense of humor. I sent him an email at work telling him Noe got into the preschool. He wrote back saying, "OK. Could you please send me all of the exorbitant fees, the total dollar amount, and the payment plan? And could you ask them if they could come over and kiss me, because I like that when I'm getting f***ed."

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    At least he has a sense of humor. I sent him an email at work telling him Noe got into the preschool. He wrote back saying, "OK. Could you please send me all of the exorbitant fees, the total dollar amount, and the payment plan? And could you ask them if they could come over and kiss me, because I like that when I'm getting f***ed."
    Hee!

SCUBA or WTF -every y'all say....

I just got back from my bookclub slumber party. No events with Judy worthy of note. She was so herself last night that I could have fooled myself into believing nothing was wrong. Barb had decided to make arrangements to take Judy home herself so she could gently broach the subject....after our slumber party and alone so Judy wouldn't feel attacked. And with someone that's been a good friend and coworker for over 20 years (if not 30?). I haven't heard how that went yet. Following them down the road was kinda sad for me.

Other than that, I had the best time! We watched "Romantics Anonymous" which was hilarious. I think it's in Dutch? I've never watched a subtitled movie before and didn't think I'd like it, but I was game to do whatever everyone else wanted to do. It was hilarious and sweet. We had dinner, talked, watched the movie...then this morning Barb made a breakfast casserole which was to die for (I need to get her recipe). It was sweet and cake like (and i hate cake) and had cream cheese and blueberries in it and you eat it warm. Yum!! We did our regular bookclub discussion and left at about 12:30.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Sounds like a wonderful time! I'm so glad. If you get that casserole recipe, please share! Sounds right up our alley.

Wow, Chrissy, that does sound cool! I agree about the recipe; I neeeeed it too!

Ashley I have made that cinnamon cake you posted twice now...once when DH's mom was up and last weekend when my parents were up. It disappeared fast!

Bridget I know you do gluten free....any favorite recipes or tricks? My MIL is going to give it a try which I have thought she should for a while and has a lot of health problems that could be celiacs.

Chrissy I am glad that you had a good time and it does sound like that was the best way to approach her....a group thing would have likely felt like an attack.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I'm glad the sleepover went well, Chrissy!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Ashley I have made that cinnamon cake you posted twice now...once when DH's mom was up and last weekend when my parents were up. It disappeared fast!
    I love that recipe! I keep thinking of making another one, but I'm also craving German chocolate cake. And I really want to do some no-bake peanut butter cookies. I'm in a baking kinda mood since it's so cold and dreary here.

It is just really so perfect with coffee in the morning! I just cannot make it for just the two of us, though maybe I could try halving it. But really I try to not have sweets in the house that much. I do like making cookies for holidays though!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Is it freezable? I don't often have baked goods in my house either.

I've sent the request asking for the recipe. If she shares it, I'll pass it on for sure. It's worth having for special occasions.

Blech. I just tried a recipe for homemade cream of chicken soup and it just wasn't good. Trying to get away from the canned version but this wasn't even close.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

What was the recipe? You need lots of butter and real cream or 1/2 and 1/2 if you ask me.

I received an invitation to my cousin's wedding in St Louis. Silly question...how do I RSVP? There's a line next to an M, which I'm assuming I write in my name (like Ms Chrissy Seymour) and then Accept or Decline. Do I simply check accept, or should I write in a 1? The invitation was sent just to me, not "and guest" or "and family" so is it safe to assume that if I simply accept they'll understand it's just me? I do have 4 kids...I don't want them thinking we're all coming. TIA!

You guys are all having problems with getting APA to load unless you quickly click on a sub-forum, right?
    Karen (28), DF (28), DD (3), DS (2 months)

Beanpop's Fluffy Butt Diapers *GRAND RE-OPENING 3/13*

I think if it's sent just to you and doesn't have a space for the number of guests attending, you can just write in your name. If you know any of the organizers really well/speak to them often, you could casually mention that you got the invitation, are excited to attend, and want to be sure they know it'll be just you.

Re the cream of chicken soup -- is it for inclusion in a recipe, like a casserole? Or to eat on its own? If it's on its own, I agree that quality ingredients like butter and cream make a big difference in taste. Although in most of my cream soups, I find whole milk and a bit of butter make them plenty creamy. I will sometimes also put in a dollop of light sour cream for extra creaminess with less fat.
    If it's for a recipe like a casserole, I just sub the "can of soup" for 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp flour, 1 & 1/4 c. milk, one tsp. chicken bouillon or soup base (I like organic Better than Bouillon), and seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder) to taste. I melt the butter, whisk together the flour and milk, add it to the butter, add seasonings and simmer until thickened. If you're putting it in with other ingredients, like if you're sauteeing onions or veggies or meat to put in the casserole, you can just add the butter and milk/flour mixture to the same pot and stir until thickened. If you'd like it thicker, add up to another tbsp. flour to the milk.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Ooh, Pepper, that is really good to know! I can do a basic roux with my eyes closed and one hand fixing a toy or holding a baby, and it never even occurred to me to sub a cream of whatever soup in a casserole because I tend to be focused on speed and time management while cooking more than a lot of other things. BTW, congrats on Noe's first successful entrance exam, and I thought your DH's comment was pretty funny, too. Is she going to be going M-F, or only a few days a week?

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I found out Friday night while getting ready for bed that my MIL was coming up on Saturday and would be spending all day Sunday with us. DH forgot to tell me earlier. Then on Saturday night as I was cleaning the house, DH told me that he'd found out she wasn't going to come on Sunday morning after all, but would be coming around 3 PM. Then today he checked in with her and she changed it to 4 PM. I asked DH if he thought I should get supplies to cook dinner, and he said no. So we went out to play and then dragged the kids away from a playground to be home by 4 PM. Then 2 minutes before 4 MIL called and said she was still an hour away and hadn't eaten since breakfast and so she was going to eat and then come over. The kids have been asking all weekend how soon they can see her, and now I'm doubting they'll be seeing her at all before they go to bed. Grr.

Quote Originally Posted by beanpop View Post
    You guys are all having problems with getting APA to load unless you quickly click on a sub-forum, right?
    There is something weird going on - 404 error. But, I don't know, under what circumstances.

I think it was some of the seasonings. And it tasted like paste. It was supposed to replace four cans worth. Butter, flour, half and half, chicken broth and seasonings. I think it was the flour. I make a roux when I make mac and cheese but the time I tried with flour I didn't like it. So I always use corn starch for the cheese sauce and make gravy with corn starch. I should have just used corn starch. I don't eat a lot of cream of chicken but DH's family has a favorite meal of cream of chicken with peas and turkey or chicken served over rice. I only drink skim milk so we never have whole in the house....I use 2 cups skim and 1 cup half and half for the cheese sauce for the mac and cheese. But this family meal is one of the few things his picky uncle will eat when they visit us and if I didn't use campbells I doubt he would eat it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

To be honest sometimes if I don't feel like making gravy I get a jarred gravy (usually Heinz).For mac and cheese you can make a bechamel first (milk and roux) and then add a bunch of cheese. I've never tried making cream of anything soup but I think if you made a thin bechamel with some chicken broth instead of milk that would work.
    Last edited by daylilies; 03-10-2013 at 08:52 PM.

I've made cream of potato and cream of mushroom soups that are really tasty. WAY better than anything that would ever come out of a can. And I can make a good homemade mac and cheese, too. I just never even considered making a cream soup as an ingredient, although it's probably a lot easier to just mix a bunch of stuff together to put in a casserole than to get the taste exactly perfect to serve as a standalone meal. The cream of mushroom soup I make has a tiny bit of rosemary and I think maybe a touch of wine or sherry (its been a while since I made it), but it was yummy. I don't make it very often, because DH doesn't find soup satisfying, and since speed is of the essence, most of my meals are one-dish meals or main-dish and side. A cream soup is not a healthy side dish. Real butter and whole fat dairy are essential, though.
    Kate, thanks for reminding me that a roux is not the same as bechamel. And so nicely. It's a vague memory of seeing the word before, but never would it have occurred to me to retrieve it out of my brain or use it in this context. See? Do you remember when you mentioned that you could perhaps offer people knowledge about NKOTB, implying that there wasn't much else? I could maybe feel a little dumb for not knowing this, since cooking is one of the things I try to pay attention to and improve upon, but instead I am just happy to know such a wide variety of people here who can offer such helpful advice and useful facts. Also, it's nice to know that you take shortcuts too.
    My MIL made it over right as the kids were supposed to start eating dinner. DH strongly encouraged her to leave after we put the children to bed, saying it was a school night and he had three hours of work to do tonight. She showed the kids the museum tickets from her excursion today, so I guess she didn't come earlier because she'd been at the SFMOMA. Which is okay if she would rather do that. I just wish that she had kept us better informed about all of her changes in plans, particularly the last one.

Sorry about all that wall of text above. Paragraphs not working at all for me anymore, not even with the html programming. And I'm getting kicked out of the forums and directed to a 404 error page every time I post. We're trying to get help. But I know it's frustrating.

Mmm...all this talk of food is making me hungry! I ended up making no-bake peanut butter cookies. DH and the children devoured them. They were yummy and very easy to do; I will be doing them again for sure. Tonight, I roasted a gammon joint in the oven for the first time ever. Although it takes some time, the end result was delicious!

We had such a fun-filled weekend. On Saturday, Travis went to 2 birthday parties. One was a typical play place party and the other was a swimming pool party. I wondered how T would be at the pool party, but he was like a little Nemo swimming around and socializing. He loved talking to his soccer coach (it was his son's pool party). We decided we will enroll him to start taking some swimming lessons (he currently wears arm bands to swim in the pool and we show him how to do his arms and legs). SIL's boys swim really well since they've been taking swimming lessons since they were newborns, so T now wants to swim without arm bands as well.

And following on from that, T's behavior has been so exceptionally good this past week. He's like a little angel child compared to how he was a few weeks ago. I really don't know what's changed in him other than maybe he's maturing a bit. They've started using the vocab at school like "good choices and wrong choices," and ever since we've adopted the same at home, if I tell him he needs to think about his choices, he's pausing for thought. He is so proud of himself when we tell him about how good he's been. Sometimes I look at his little face with his big hazel eyes (magnified by the lenses of his glasses!) and I just think he looks like the cutest little Ewok I ever did see and my heart bursts with pride.

On Sunday, we went to the city centre via the train because the boys were dying to go on a train. We went out for a meal since it was Mothering Sunday here. The boys were very good to me and bought me some new perfume, made me breakast in bed (pancakes) and treated me to dinner out. T is now saying he wants to go somewhere on the bus...I told him the reason we have a car is so that we don't have to ride a bus! I don't know about where y'all live, but busses here aren't the nicest of things to be on.