Page 1305 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 30580512051255129513031304130513061307131513551405 ... LastLast
Results 39,121 to 39,150 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Suja, did Khan dislocate your elbow from a leash incident? I can see that happening with my bigger dog; he is still confused about what to do when he sees another dog on a leash... or he's socially awkward or something. He goes ker-azy when he sees any other dog. I think he wants to play (because if he were off-leash, that'd be his instinct), but he sounds ferocious no matter what he's trying to say. When we were at a party in a park once, and he was off-leash, he bounded up to another big-gish dog to play, and the owner told me Cayo approached the other dog "like an un-neutered male", meaning that he looked aggressive, I guess. *shudder* about the sliver ER story.

Lulu is actually in surgery today. I guess they only had her in for bloodwork yesterday. Fingers are crossed it goes without a hitch. She's been acting her usual (very assertive terrier-personality, I-own-this-place) schnoodly self.

Jen, I hope the sliver is out and cleaned up by now.

Chrissy, I am stunned at CIT's response. They should be thanking you and apologizing. But sadly I'm not surprised. IT has its share of "technical egos", doesn't it? And then add to that the fact that the majority of men, in particular, have an extremely difficult time saying they're wrong (heard that on Freakonomics podcast recently), and I guess what happened to you becomes a classic situation in the industry.

Bridget, yay for the farm store! And that was a bold move on your DBF's part, which turned out really well for all parties involved. Can't say I'd have been brave enough to say something like that even if I thought it.

On dentistry: I'm glad to hear there's some of you would see a rationale behind the fact that I just haven't been consistent about going to the dentist. ;) Honestly, I think oral care is important, speakingo of which...I've long been fascinated by the findings of Weston Price when he went out and did his hybrid dental/anthropological research on nutrition and dental health out in the field back in the early 20thC. Sounds like it's as important to approach oral care from a diet as much as a hygiene standpoint:

Dr.Weston A. Price (1870-1948), a Cleveland dentist, has been called the "Isaac Newton of Nutrition." In his search for the causes of dental decay and physical degeneration that he observed in his dental practice, he turned from test tubes and microscopes to unstudied evidence among human beings. Dr. Price sought the factors responsible for fine teeth among the people who had them- the isolated "primitives."

The world became his laboratory. As he traveled, his findings led him to the belief that dental caries and deformed dental arches resulting in crowded, crooked teeth and unattractive appearance were merely a sign of physical degeneration, resulting from what he had suspected-nutritional deficiencies.

Price traveled the world over in order to study isolated human groups, including sequestered villages in Switzerland, Gaelic communities in the Outer Hebrides, Eskimos and Indians of North America, Melanesian and Polynesian South Sea Islanders, African tribes, Australian Aborigines, New Zealand Maori and the Indians of South America. Wherever he went, Dr. Price found that beautiful straight teeth, freedom from decay, stalwart bodies, resistance to disease and fine characters were typical of primitives on their traditional diets, rich in essential food factors.

When Dr. Price analyzed the foods used by isolated primitive peoples he found that they provided at least four times the calcium and other minerals, and at least TEN times the fat-soluble vitamins from animal foods such as butter, fish eggs, shellfish and organ meats.
    Janet, good luck with the IUI & follies!! I'll be super-hopeful for you these next couple of weeks. Maiya sounds like she'd be psyched to be a big sister.

On TTC over here, March is going to be our first real concerted effort, and as with much of everything I do, I set it up as a bit of a game. March is a high-stakes month. If we miss the March window, then it will become a bit more relaxed again, and I'd probably be happier to conceive later on this summer. If we conceive this month, then we stand a likely chance of having a 2013 baby, which would mean tax benefit! LOL. (I didn't want to try before now because of our travels taking place during March.) I have marked a slot on our shared family gMail calendar, and have deemed it "The Whoopee Window". DH is a little excited.

Lastly, my car is 500 miles away from hitting 300,000 miles. It's a 15 year old Toyota 4Runner I inherited from my dad. Never had major mechanical problems yet. I've been keeping an eye out for my next car since late last year, as I think mine could go at any moment. The search has been kind of a self-discovery, and I think what I've discovered the most is that I don't really know myself. I'm surprised at how indecisive I've been. In my rational mind, my priorities are: roomy (4 door + high cargo capcty), reliable (like all the Toyotas my family has ever driven - never any mechanical problems/drove them into the ground), fuel-efficient (I want to hit a minimum of 32mpg at least on the hwy), rugged (needs to do some light off-roading and withstand bikes/dogs/surfboards and, of course, a young boy). But my irrational mind is driving me crazy, turning my thoughts to risky/impractical makes based on styling, exterior colors, and feeling my own priorities are "boring". Perhaps the most practical car I could get would be a Prius V wagon (hello, roomy reliable fuel-economy!), but my brain screams at me that they're ugly, every time I look at them. They're also not quite rugged enough. Ground clearance would be a problem, for example. Others I've looked at: Lexus CT400h Hybrid (too small and a little 2Fast2Furious-looking for my taste), VW Diesel Sportwagen (was a big contender - nervous because it's outside the Toyota/Honda family of reliability, gets more "boring" the more I look at it), Audi A3 Diesel (too small; essentially a VW so mechanically risky), Mini-Cooper Wagon (low-cost, very fuel-efficient, but smallish and would be buying mainly because DH & Bodhi like the styling), Subaru Outback (great styling, rugged, bleh fuel economy & not so sure on reliability), Volvo XC70 wagon (love the look of Volvos, terrible fuel, once owned a Volvo lemon, dealer markup is insane on these, and let's face it; I probably really can't afford one). I kind of want a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. The 3rd row of seats would be so convenient when my parents come into town, but it's really just 28/28 MPG, and I really don't want to go as big as my 4Runner again. (I hate how short I am when I'm tying my surfboard on top of my car; there's also the fact that I really can't afford the Hybrid w/ 3rd row anyway). So the next most likely candidate is the Acura Sportwagon. It's basically a Honda, so I'd rest easy that I could drive the car for a dozen years without headache, plus it hits almost all my other criteria, except that it only hits 30 MPG on the hwy and that really bothers me, and the styling is...just ok. Anyway, so that's a glimpse into my twisted thoughts on car-buying. The process can send my mind racing. That's just the short-list too. I've started looking at mini-SUVs/crossovers, which make me even more confused, plus I'm open to buying a used car if it hits 100% of my criteria. The truth is, I think I've looked at every single car on the market (thanks to insomnia and the Edmunds.com app on my phone) and even if I could afford any car I wanted, no one out there makes the car I want.

I'm amazed that there aren't more hybrids out there for moms. Why can't the Acura wagon be a hybrid? Why aren't there mini-van hybrids? It seems to me that the hybrid manufacturers are missing out on only one of the hugest market segments in the country.

OK, I've been writing this post on and off for the last 1.5 hrs. Will hit Submit now to see what I've missed in the meantime.
    Last edited by demigraf; 03-01-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    M update. I stayed home from work today and right now he is cuddled up next to me on the couch snoozing. Would you believe he's never really been able to do that before? At first just getting up on the couch was a huge adventure and got him all excited. Then he would get up and want to play with me and end up just pestering me. I've been pretty clear that he can get up, but once he starts pestering he needs to get down. That usually takes less than five minutes. He's finally maturing enough that he can just cuddle - so sweet! I my puppy.
    Puppy cuddles are the best! Enjoy the rest of your day off.

Myles, I somehow missed your post. The main culprit that had me standing over the speaker phone nearly shouting yesterday (till my manager kindly put her hand on mine and gently told me 'back down Cujo') said in a generic way (and didn't mention our dept or names), "My apologies about the resource accounts. We have learned from Microsoft that..." and he presented the 'new' way of adding them to Outlook. Whatever dude. He's using my tutorial to build their documentation. Should save them time.

In other happy news, Jesi got a job! At the gas station a mile from her dad's (and a mile from mine, actually). She's pretty excited. ♥

I'm not sure where she stands with the National Guard stuff, but it's something she still talks about doing. I'm trying to give her space and not pressure her too much...but at least she's not sitting around 'doing nothing' while she figures her life out. I'm very proud and excited for her.

Congrats, Jesi!
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Congrats to Jesi! I sometimes wish I could go back to working behind a cash register. Life was simpler back then. The truth is, though, the few times I'd done it (in a coffee shop and at a florist), I thought it was really hard to stay on top of everything. When would J have to decide on the Natl Guard? Or is there no timeframe?

Congrats to Jesi!

I dunno...I think the age cut off is 42? I don't really know She didn't have a time limit because she didn't sign anything. I know she loved her first recruiter but for whatever reason she was reassigned and that guy was a flat-out jerk to her. It didn't help when I said, "Well, you know once you're in you're probably going to have a jerk-like drill sergeant." She pointed out that she knew that once she was in they would own her, but this guy was such a turn off she doesn't want to give him any credit for enlisting her. I encouraged her to call the first one and explain the situation to him and see what advice he could offer her (he's nice enough, he'd tell her the deal and if she had any options), but as far as I know she hasn't done so.

Holy crap, is this thread still going?! I tried like 20 different password combinations Chrissy, and I finally got in! So glad I don't have to make a new account. This one has too many memories.

Momma/Wife/Psych Nurse (these things go together better than you'd think)

Hi Shayla! Not sure if you remember me, but if I remember correctly you have a little girl? What is she like 5 now?

I do remember you! Yes, she's actually 6 now and in kindergarten. I have several APA members on facebook and just got to feeling really nostalgic and missing the forums so I thought I'd come back! P.S. I'm guessing something is going on with the forum? It won't let me edit my profile or siggy.

Hi Shayla!!!! Yes, the forums are jacked and none of us can edit our siggys right now. Many people (although not all) have to put in the < p > (without spaces) to make a paragraph. How have you been? What's new? How does Renna like school?

Quick update...waiting for my parents to arrive any minute. Went in, numbed it and dug around. Found something super tiny. did x-rays and NOTHING showed....this was magnesium so we are sure it would have showed. Now just waiting for it to heal and hopefully not have an infection. Glad we went but not looking forward to the bill....my deductible is 4K so it's all outta pocket and they did 4 xrays, cut into his hand and numbed it. I have a feeling next time around we are going back to the traditional plan at work instead of the high deductible....especially with getting a baby maybe sometime this year or next year.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Quick update...waiting for my parents to arrive any minute. Went in, numbed it and dug around. Found something super tiny. did x-rays and NOTHING showed....this was magnesium so we are sure it would have showed. Now just waiting for it to heal and hopefully not have an infection. Glad we went but not looking forward to the bill....my deductible is 4K so it's all outta pocket and they did 4 xrays, cut into his hand and numbed it. I have a feeling next time around we are going back to the traditional plan at work instead of the high deductible....especially with getting a baby maybe sometime this year or next year.
    Bummer, Jen. Do you know how much the bill is going to be? One of the things I hate about medical expenses is that it's hard to know what they're going to be up front. I know the costs are actually very structured, but somehow, the way you find out about them... they seem kind of arbitrary, and it's an unpleasant surprise every time you open up the bill. When I do ask up front about costs, I'm either told "I don't know; you'd have to check with billing." or I do get the costs, but I'm made to feel like I broke some taboo by asking.

She loves it. Like told me once that she would, "go to school twice a day if you could". I try to make it seem like school is super awesome and something she should enjoy. But I'm sure that won't last! She's just so smart and such a good student already! (Definitely not biased or anything lol).

Aw crap, I lost the longwinded post I had typed on the iPad.

Hi Shayla! I don't think we have "met".

Shayla, I like your siggy text about how being a mom, wife & psychiatric nurse are surprisingly complementary. Kinda like chocolate & peanut butter. Sounds delicious!

Welcome back, Shayla. I agree that your siggy statement sounds like a lovely combo.

I suck at getting my kids to bed on time. Sawyer did not even nap today and I didn't get him to fall asleep until 8pm! Now I have to get us ready for tomorrow we are going to magic show and then to my dads for a late lunch. Sawyer is so exhausting but such an entertaining sweet little dude. Tonight him and I made a big production of popping popcorn for Savana and Kai, my way of getting him to let them watch the movie in peace. He had to everything and it was a narrowly averted meltdown when I wouldn't allow him to plug in the air popper. Well he had to fill a (glass) bowl for each of them, scooping with a measuring cup and then carry it out to them. Then since he put such a small amount in, he kept going to get their bowls for a refill. A perfect little host. So there were about a dozen trips to and from the kitchen carring a glass bowl of popcorn. Each time, and I mean EVERY time he started off he'd look at me with his head cocked and eyebrows raised in a perfect seriously questioning face say, "I run?" and I would say, "Oh, no. You must walk with the bowl." And then he would say "Ohhhhhhhhhh" as if this was very new and interesting information. Seriously, every time. It was too adorable.

Um..what in the name of all things holy is this crap about only one space after a period????? I'm mortified. We learned 2 spaces after a period. I remember my highschool typing teacher was a total drill seargent and she would kick our feet if they weren't in "home position". Ms Radke.

Bridget, I learned 2 spaces after a period too! I've been going crazy trying to correct myself.

Shayla, wow! I could have sworn she was younger than Josh. He's in K too.

We just went to a thing at his school that was a Dr. Seuss celebration and a book fair. It was really fun and Josh made some good choices of books. I was afraid he was going to go nuts and get all Power Rangers books or something LOL. But he's really into the educational stuff too. He surprises me all the time.

The popcorn thing is too funny Bridget. Josh is actually pretty good about his bedtime unless we disrupt the routine like with the lion king or with the school thing tonight.

Don't you love that, Kate? Mine surprise me all the time too. I hope it's always like that.

Mine are actually pretty good about bedtime too. We have our routine locked up tight. It's me that sucks. I will say to myself I want them in bed by 7:15 but then so many distractions. Like tonight I was trying to read bedtime stories and it took for.EVER. I had to change Sawyer twice because when he pees in his diaper it smells strong (I need to strip my diapers) and Savana and Kai wig out like they can't breath. Then the cat was getting all crazy so Savana had to run down and give her food. And of course Kai waits until she comes back and sits down to say he has to go potty. Along with that is all the countless unmentioned times we are interuppted by Sawyer doing whatever the hell he can think of to distract us from the book we are reading. He stops at nothing. He's got no shame. lol

Did anyone else see the post on facebook with the youtube video of the guy popping corn in bacon grease? I can't stop thinking about it. I want to buy bacon, so I can try it. The guy was this big ole Bubba, that I am sure will be offered a cooking show on Food Network. Sorry for the injuries and dog mishaps. Hope everyone is healing now. G I am glad you never did take the saw to the salmonberg!!! Hope your finger is better.I just hope Gilly has better teeth than I do/did. I think every tooth in my head has had a filling My folks spent a fortune on my teeth. Janet, good luck on your IUI!!Welcome Shayla.Anyone have fun weekend plans? We're having a cold snap here-read 60's and the old folks freak out-heh. I think we'll take G to the zoo, they have new cheetah's we haven't seen. I figure since it's cooler the animals might actually be up walking around. Last time we went it was April and they animals were napping, wishing they were in Milwaukee.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

I saw that on fb, just someone talking about it. I thought about the whole time that Sawyer and I were making ours. I bet it's wonderful.

Tonight was a bit of a disaster. One of our employees was supposed to leave at 10 today, to start an implementation in Thailand. He got to the airport at 8:00 PM, to find out that his flight had left. At 10:00 AM. This of course, becomes my problem, and I spent over two hours, first trying to change flights to tomorrow, and finally canceling the entire thing, and rebooking from scratch. In the meantime, the kid is running around and climbing the walls like she is high on something, since it was way past her bedtime, and she had two super distracted adults on her hand.

I was pretty shocked to learn about the one space as well. And I stubbornly refuse to do it.

I refuse to do one space, either, but I remember hearing someone tell me recently that it was 2 spaces when using a typewriter but only one when using a word processor. Why, I have no idea. Something to do with typewriter mechanics, I gather. But I still insist on two spaces.

I was never taught two spaces. I thought it was absolute nuttery when I heard about it. Don't suppose it's a regional thing, do ya? ;)

Suja, sorry about your day today. I have been in situations where I'm doing something business-critical and B was swinging from the rafters for attention. It's a recipe for becoming frazzled, and that would only be a good thing if a Frazzle were some sort of cocktail with an umbrella sticking out of it. :/

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Here is an article about why typing two spaces after periods is wrong: http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._invaders.html

I took a typing class in the 80s, learned to type 80+ wpm, and had it drummed into my head that one ALWAYS puts two spaces after a period. I only learned that this was incorrect recently, and it actually messes up the formatting in my blog, although a lot of programs correct automatically for it. It has been really hard to unlearn.

ssssssx ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

The above letters were brought to you by S. ("An 'S' for me," he crows, sitting on my lap, "That's for my name!")

Shayla, welcome back! My twins are in kindergarten, too.

Shelley, so glad to hear you are enjoying your job.

Suja, your day sounds miserable. Although now I think we need to invent a Frazzle. I have a friend in San Francisco who owns a bar, so maybe we can help him come up with a signature cocktail for the busy working mom.

I don't know if any of you saw this thread about how much we let our older kids do in New Moms, but I have (again) cut out all tv except on weekend mornings, and that is only until they wake me up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I have had the recent bright idea to tape a note on the tv on weekend mornings saying, "You can watch a show you ALL agree on only until I wake up. It is in your best interest to stay quiet if you want to watch tv." Since they don't really get to watch tv at other times, they have been loving this.
    Last night, I found a note Claire had written. It said "You kan woch a sow tat Claire piks. Luv, Lydia." It was next to a list of 10 things she loves about Daddy. I seriously think she might take over the world someday.

Claire ROCKS!

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I agree, Lydia. Claire will take over the world.

If S doesn't beat her to it, that is.

sssssssssssssssssssss

(For S)

S and C made me LOL. How sweet!

I'm using 2 spaces. F-'em all!

Sssssss for S and Ssss is for snakes as Cash likes to say! I love how Claire wrote that note; did she do a good job of copying your handwriting? I used to be pretty good at writing sick notes for my cousins at school when they would forget to bring one in from having days off sick. I think the school probably would've thought my aunt's real signature was fake for how many times I actually wrote their sick notes!

Bridget, I dreamed about you and the kids last night! I think it might have been the first time I've ever dreamed about someone from this site! LOL. We all went on vacation to Spain together and were checking in at the hotel and Kai and Savana came running up and asked Travis and Cash if they wanted to go play outside in the courtyard; DH looked at me and I was like, "Oh, we can trust them; they are Bridget's kids."

We've had a really good weekend so far. We went swimming this morning with the whole family (6 adults and 5 kids who are 5 and under). Then, we went to the pub and let the kids play some more. I love how much we hang out as a family. When we were swimming at the pool, I looked around at us and thought about the times we've all been to Spain together and really long to do that again. I think we will probably look at going away this August with everyone.

I learned to type on a typewriter in the 90's, and we always did 2 spaces after a period (or full stop as they call it here). Something else that has blown my mind just recently is learning about how the British used speech marks (or inverted commas as we are supposed to call them nowadays!) I was always taught that you put the punctuation inside the quotes, but here it's the opposite. For example, I would write something like this: The boy can't pronounce words like "blue," "black," and "brown." Here, they teach it as: The boy can't pronounce words like "blue", "black", and "brown". I actually see the rationale with the British way, but it offends my eye since I learned it the other way!

Oh, and hey Shayla! I don't actually remember you from the first time around...did you used to post in here back in the day?