Page 1304 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 30480412041254129413021303130413051306131413541404 ... LastLast
Results 39,091 to 39,120 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Myles maybe if you threaten to bite your dentist..... LOL
    I wouldn't put it past Myles to try that!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I think vBulletin is pretty good as long as one can keep up, at least to some extent, with the upgrades. Every time things get bad with spam here, it tends to be solved with an upgrade that had not been done for a while, and from what I've heard about the current issues, they will be solved as soon as it can be upgraded.

I am having to manually enter all of my paragraphs. Luckily, after the first one, I just copy and paste.

DH is starting to take shaky steps around the house and drank a bit of Gatorade. R. went back to school today but I just got called to go bring him some clothes because he had an accident in his pants. I got there with a bunch of plastic bags, a change of clothes, baby wipes, and hustled him into a private bathroom, and he pulled down his pants and they were clean. I questioned him about this supposed accident, and he told me that he'd told a classmate he pooped his pants because he thought he had. He never actually even went to the bathroom to find out.

I encouraged him to try to go, and then I was going to take him back to class and he said his stomach was hurting. I tried to talk to him more about it, since he denied any complaints when I first got there. He said it was hurting because he didn't like school and just wanted to go home. I said there was only an hour left of school and this was the best part of the day, and I found his change of story suspicious, but in the end I'm glad I brought him because he's been running to the toilet every few minutes since we got here. So here we go again.

I have been encouraged to take my cats in for teeth cleanings under general anesthesia on a regular basis, but I have to admit I have not done so. In fact, I don't even take them in for annual physicals.

I haven't had any problems with paragraphs. Am I a special snowflake?

Ash, now I want to book into the dentist just to sink my teeth into him. Wish he were cuter!

Oh L I sure hope your house gets better soon. That just sounds miserable.

I cannot make paragraphs and have to the html for it.

My dentist actually will do sedation for those request it. Just never tried it myself. I can resist the urge to bite him. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I can do paragraphs as well on my phone and laptop...freaky!

My dentist is a beautiful young Indian woman called Heena, but I don't think I'd ever bite her...hehehe. My dentist before her was a big fat guy who looked like a walrus because he had a bald head and handlebar moustache....I much prefer my new lady to him-his belly used to be waaay too close to my face when he was cleaning my teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I have been encouraged to take my cats in for teeth cleanings under general anesthesia on a regular basis, but I have to admit I have not done so. In fact, I don't even take them in for annual physicals.
    If you don't already, I would strongly encourage you to take them in at least every couple of years. The reason being that cats hide illness really, really well, and sometimes, you don't know something is wrong until you've got a dead cat on your hands. I know that my brother more than had his hands full, but I am a little put out that my conscience is biting me in the wallet. I was just supposed to get a middle aged cat. Instead, I got a middle aged cat with double ear infection, heart murmur, possible hypertrophic heart and CHF (waiting for the ear infection to resolve before going to the cardiologist), and if he can stand the anesthesia, then tooth cleaning, extraction, etc. He had no idea, and if you look at the cat, you wouldn't be able to tell either.

And I'm going to confess that I don't go to dentists. We have great dental insurance, but I don't trust them. I think I have mentioned before how my cousin's husband went to 5 different dentists for their 'complimentary' checkup. Each one told him that his teeth were in dire need of cleaning, he needed root canal, etc. No two would agree on which teeth needed the work. He got nothing done, and has had no problems. This was 8 or 10 years ago. I have gone to dentists in India, who tell me my teeth are in great shape, to keep doing whatever I'm doing, and to NOT get routine cleaning like they recommend in the US, because it's essentially power washing your enamel, and you can erode it simply by doing that. I have all 32 of my teeth, no cavities, and so far, no problems.
    Last edited by Suja; 02-28-2013 at 03:22 PM.

I have gone every 6 months since I was a baby and no cavities. But have only seen a few my entire life. My childhood one who also did my braces. On to my parents. Tried one in Milwaukee who wanted to drill for cavities that day. I left crying and went down to my old one who told me that I didn't have cavities...I had an odd tooth on each side (same on both sides) and that it was just how my teeth are and they just need to be watched. When I moved across state I was so nervous to find one but realistically I cannot drive 5 hours for the dentist. I got lucky on the first try and mine here says the same thing. Just spots to watch. And they don't do the power washing cleanings here, just scraping cleanings. I had my first adult guy do power washing though and it didn't seem to hurt my enamel since last year I had some kind of laser diamond treatment to get rid of some stains on the front teeth and was told I had too much enamel. If I ever was told I had a cavity....they better show me the xrays before they are touching me.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Suja, I've always felt the dental industry in the US is a HUGE gimmick. They'd have us believing glow-in-the-dark teeth were attractive if we listened to them. I personally think it's nasty if someone has teeth whiter than their eyeballs.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

We have only taken our cats in for shots and when they show signs of illness. Our vet is so strange. He is a really large, hairy man with a thick austrian(?) accent. The last time I brought Apple in for her shots I had Savana and Kai with me and he was like, "Ok children. You must not let your cat play with toys. They will eat your legos and choke." Then he looked at me and I was I was looking at him like wtf? and he winked and said, "They will not do it for you, Mom. But they will do it for the cat." Then he told me to watch out for tinsel at xmas time and I said yes I'd heard about that and he said, "You will hear many things, Mom. Many, many things, most of which are not true." And then he just stood there staring at me and it was so awkward! When we left the kids were like, "Why did he say the cat would eat our toys?" and I said that I thought he was trying to help keep the house picked up. We had a good laugh.

We went to the farm store today and I forgot they don't take credit cards so I had no money to pay for my $300 worth of groceries. The whole reason I went is they have this chicken sausage that Kai loves and good gravy I cannot get this boy to eat anything these days so I NEEDED them. Plus I was out of raw honey and that's an every day staple here. Can you believe the girl at the counter did not even flinch. She grabbed an envelope, wrote the address on it and told me to mail a check!

Next stop was a thrift store where I realized when I got to the counter that I must have left the credit card on the counter at the farm store. So I pulled out another one and it was denied. I remembered that we had reported that one missing when I lost my purse once so no biggie except Savana yelled, "That's the EXACT same thing that happened at the last store!" I gave a meek and distracted smile as I dug through my purse because I knew I had a 20 in there somewhere and I was trying to tell Kai and Sawyer to pick up and hold the beach ball we were buying instead of kicking it around. As I found the 20, Kai gave the ball a good kick and it flew threw the air and bounced off the head of the kind old woman admiring the children at the checkout next to me. Holy mortification. I apologized profusely while Kai shoved the collar of his shirt in his mouth and turned bright red, knowing he'd made a big mistake. he is not allowed to touch the beach ball until i catch him making responsible choices ten times. And I did not make eye contact with anyone leaving that store!

Aw Bridget. Kids do have a way of throwing us under the bus sometimes. We were at the vet the other day and Josh was giving this detailed description about how we always hit Bo and then he's afraid. None of us hit Bo except DH who will occasionally tap him on the nose or tap his butt if he's doing something that he really shouldn't be doing, like begging for food. Josh made it sound like we abuse the poor thing!

That is awesome about the farm store!Bo just did the funniest thing. When he's thirsty he goes and lifts up the toilet seat a couple times so it makes a banging noise. He never drinks the water, just makes some noise.

Oh, man, Bridget! That sounds like an awful shopping experience!

Myles, it's not so much vBulletin as the fact that we are running an out-of-date version. Whatever upgrades were required for the new server are not compatible. The site should run just fine once the upgrade is complete.

As for pets and dentistry, we never took in Nero or Gwennie for dental work. N was two years older than G and had perfect, white teeth his entire life. Gwennie is 9 now and her teeth are in bad shape. Bad breath, and she will need a tooth extracted soon. They ate the same diet (in fact, Nero ate pretty much everything so I'm certain he ate far more junk than she ever did). It seems to be genetic and some animals need it more than others.

Vampire Kitty is only 3 and her breath stinks to high heaven. To the point I can't stand her breathing on me. Her humans gave her canned Fancy Feast or similar crap daily and my commitment to high-quality pet food is even stronger after getting to know her. Her teeth smell worse than Gwennie's do and Gwennie is three times her age. Oh, and VK's human told me that she cried in the night for no reason and they never knew why. She did cry when she first came to us. Since we switched her to Blue, she stopped the random night crying (she mews a lot, though). I think it was upsetting her tummy.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

B, that store right there that gave you an envelop to send in a check, totally makes up for the twilight zone you sometimes feel you live in. That rules.

Finally got confirmation from CIT that I was right all along. Can't wait till tomorrow's webex conference call. Neener neener neener.

Good for you, Chrissy!

I knew I was right. The frustration has all stemmed from their flat out refusal to believe me when I walked them through the steps I took and told them the results I saw. I spent 2 hours going through all the steps, including clearing all the cache and stripping my Outlook. I took a screenshot of each step. They couldn't deny it...so they tried it themselves and guess what? They got the same results I have been telling them about. Jerks.

Good news for my MIL is looks like she will be safe and not out of a job. But still getting divorced and once the house sells moving anyway. but at least it's much better to leave she wants to leave the job instead of leaving by force. And after talking to her more, sounds like she is going to go up to milwaukee and stay with grandpa. I kind of had a feeling she would feel obligated to do that. He does good for 92 but just a few months ago finally stopped driving and really probably shouldn't be living alone.

My sister is getting our tickets for Wicked tonight. She loves it but DH and I haven't gone yet so the four of us (her gf too) are all going in June. Right around what will be our 10th wedding anniversary.

My parents are coming for the weekend tomorrow! I was going to do a half day at work but am now taking a whole day because I have to take DH to urgent care in the morning. He works with metal and has a sliver of it stuck really deep in his thumb near the joint. I cannot get it and he hasn't been able to either. Hopefully it will be easy for them, just numb it up and go in with much better instruments than my crummy tweezers. Hate to pay for an appt just for a sliver but it's irritated and swollen and red (not infected looking yet). Well at least I know he had tetanus back in Sept when we both got a Tdap.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Owie. Rich has had those. They are painful...and can easily lead to infection, which it sounds like this one is trying to do. Best to have it taken out professionally.

Sounds like a great way to celebrate the big 10! And yay for MIL not losing her job. Boo about her not moving with you guys quite yet.

Is your mil still planning to eventually move in with you?

Chrissy, you'll have to let us know how they grovel tomorrow. Will they?

Myles, you are totally a special snowflake.

L, I hope the tummy crummies are headed out. I can't imagine dealing with that as much as it seems like you guys do. We get a lot of cold/cough type stuff but puking has been very rare thank goodness. The last time I got the pukes was right before I found out I was pregnant with Sawyer. But I had been exposed to a virus by one of my daycare kids who puked all over me, plus I think my immune system was suffering from lack of sleep and that's when my mom got really sick so it was just par for the course at that point. It's a sh!tty illness.

So dbf called me all flustered a couple of days ago. When he visits stores that are opening, he works with the manager and they go out into the community to promote the new joint and offer free pizzas to local businesses, shake hands with the community so to speak. Well the gm of this store apparently was a dream as far as his personality and had not problem doing everything they wanted him to do (a lot do have trouble with it. I know it takes a certain type of person to have that sort of "energy". I couldn't do it.) Anyway, apparently the guy has awful teeth. Like, sparce and black. So when the owner of the store called dbf to see how he'd done, dbf told her straight up that the guy was awesome and hard working and she couldn't ask for a better manager but he's the face of the company and should get his teeth fixed. I admit, I cringed when he told me the story. It felt wrong deep inside me where I know it's wrong to judge someone for how they look. But I saw his point. I also worried about his wording because he is not bubbling with couth. Fast forward to today and that gm called him in tears, thanking him for whatever he said because the store owner is paying for him to have his teeth fixed! He said he just can't believe it and he's so grateful. All's well that ends well, I guess!

omg-I couldn't have seen that coming B. I cringed just reading it...but man, dbf's insensitivity actually helped someone tremendously. How about that. Good for him.

No, there will be no groveling. They will blame Microsoft (they actually have 3 Microsoft guys on sight this week) and make excuses about why they didn't try it themselves first, if they even bring that up at all. Faye assured me she is going to nicely put them on the spot and be a b1tch in a sweet way tomorrow. I can't wait.

Wow I thought the teeth story was going to have a bad ending but what a great one! I mean not great teeth is one thing but really bad ones, yeah that can affect how people see you. It's so great that this worked out so well.

Chrissy that is beyond frustrating and what a mess! All above my head. My frustrations are much simpler....like publishers changing names of journals. A pain to update everywhere and change shelving and all that. Or my favorite this week is people who cannot count. One journal....last month was fine. was Vol 38 issue 4. This month it was Vol 40 issue 5. Ummm yeah someone cannot count. I have another that has been Vol 15 issue 6 for THREE months. Kind of a pain when I make in the catalog that it's 16(2) and the stupid physical copy says 15(6).

Well I don't know. I think that all of us would probably have her getting her own apartment as the ideal. So much is up in the air and depends. She doesn't want to be a burden on anyone and I think would ideally prefer her own space and kitchen.....and I'm not the problem but sometimes her and DH can just be too alike. Really it will come down to the money. She is 62 in two weeks but wants to hold off on claiming her ss and we are still hoping that once divorced, she can claim on her second ex husband whose dead. I'm positive she can once divorced but the ssi office gave her the run around on the phone. So I plan on going on in person with her to apply once the divorce is done. I have documents from the SSI website and will print those out and highlight exactly where it says she can claim on a dead ex husband long as she's not married. So hopefully she can live with her dad pretty much rent free, work full-time with health insurance or part-time and collect on her dead ex. The biggest issue is health care until Medicare kicks in at 65. So we are waiting to see what the health exchanges do this fall or WI has a high risk plan right now she could do. Basically though most of her money would go for health insurance and pills....she has a couple where there aren't generics yet and she can easily spend over 100 a month on pills WITH insurance. And she will likely get inheritance from grandpa if he doesn't go through it (which hopefully when he goes, it's something nice like in his sleep instead of this lingering suffering BS that some people go through). This current husband really effed up things for her though. I mean she was fine, had a good job and a house in milwaukee and he talked her into moving to chicago and promised to always take care of her. he decides after 7 years he is "not in love" anymore (though says he loves her) and thinks it should be all easy to just move on and get a divorce...no counseling, nothing to try to get the spark back. that was over two years ago since they had a house underwater until recently. Nothing like being in your 60's and thinking about a new job and moving and worrying about your health insurance......when a few months before it all went down, she was thinking about retirement in a few years. Uggg, I love my MIL but OMG she has the worst taste in men. DH's dad was ok and she got him out of it but he never could grow up and is a loser. Number 2 who thankfully is dead was an abusive *insert bad words*. And now number three, the fake irritating liar. We told her no more getting married unless he is really rich and there isn't a prenup. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh Jennifer, Wicked is awesome. I don't know if any of you guys remember but something that attracted me to the Secular forum was that you all were talking about Wicked. I'm sure not all of you were here, back then.

Wow Bridget, that is sort of great in a weird way that your dbf saying that allowed him to get his teeth fixed. It reminds me of that show Undercover Boss where a head honcho of a company goes in disguise to see how the employees of his company are doing, and he rewards good workers with money for school, or a vacation or something.

I do agree, that the face of a company does not necessarily have to be attractive, but they do have to look like they take care of themselves.

Bridget, I am actually proud of your DH.

I know! Me too. He is really good at this job.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Bridget, I am actually proud of your DH.
    Me too. I was worried about the direction of the story as well.

The only problem I have with the site now is that I can't change my siggie... But otherwise, paragraphs and everything seem fine...

I never take my pets regularly to the vet for anything. My last dog did end up needing a lot of dental work in her old age, so obviously I need to brush their teeth more often (need to, but so far, am not doing a great job...).

We, however, do go to the dentist regularly. Maybe it's all a gimmick, but I feel better knowing they're looked at, and if we ever did have a problem, hopefully it would be caught early. My dentist has never tried to pull anything on me. But, then, I did end up marrying his grandson...

Bridget, sorry about that trip to the store! Sounds rough... And amazing the way that story ended up. Sounds like the dental work will be much appreciated!

Chrissy, good job showing everyone up!! I hate dealing with IT, they're basically useless, and everything is "user error" until YOU manage to convince them otherwise. Ugh, bringing back not so fond memories!!

Jennifer, hope things with your MIL work out well. I know what it's like, though, to have a wonderful woman who finds the worst men. My Grandma was the same. Sweetest woman EVER, everyone loved her. She died at 82, after being sick for years, and still had hundreds of people come to her funeral. But she also had HORRIBLE taste in men. She went through three husbands in her life, and luckily, stopped there. Hope your MIL stops, too, and can get on with her own life!

L, hope you all are recovered soon! Maiya still asks every other day to go back to Fairyland with you guys ("and hopefully Claire won't bump her teeth next time..."), so maybe we can try again when you are well.

And thanks all for the well wishes for my IUI and my dog! The IUI went well, we had 21.6 million sperm, which is still definitely MFI, but also one of our best ever, and more than we had for Maiya. For Maiya, I had 5 follies, and this time only 4, but we shall see. I am still hopeful! I'm trying to take it easy. We will know in about 2 weeks! And my poor dog... He only has one gash, but it was wide open, and cut through all layers of his skin. He is miserable today, and can't run for the next 2 weeks. He is a very high energy australian shepherd who is used to going for 5 hour hikes every few days. It's going to be a long 2 weeks for him (and all of us who have to deal with him, poor boy), too!!

Janet, that number may not be ideal, but it's definitely enough to be successful! Good luck!

That will be a long two weeks for everyone. Poor puppy!

I am IT. I'm the intermediary between my users in Alumni Affairs and Development and Cornell's central systems (like our email). I mostly do desktop support, user training, and image the new computers (or re-image existing, broken ones). If I reach the point where I'm calling CIT, they should just know I've done all the troubleshooting on my end that could possibly be done. I might suck at a lot of things, but not computers. And my manager is smarter than me, so if she's saying to call them...it's beyond our control. Like I said, it was just frustrating to continuously hear back that everything was our fault, our users were doing x,y,z wrong. I knew they weren't. In a lot of cases, it IS true that the problem is a PICNIC (Problem In Chair Not In Computer) but if it had been the case I wouldn't have been calling CIT.

Jennifer, I'm sure things will work out for your MIL. It's always an anxious time when you don't know for sure what the next step is going to be, but it sounds like she has great options and a couple back-up plans. She'll get her ex's SS. I don't know why some workers give people a hard time about that because she will be eligible. My mom should be able to get SS through my dad once she's 62 I think. Maybe 65. It's a few hundred more a month and she's going to apply as soon as she's eligible. She only gets 600-something now. :/ Maybe close to 700, but seriously, how can anyone live on that?

It is pretty much impossible to live on what SS provides. That's part of the reason my parents lived to India. Multiply the few 100 bucks SS pays by 50, and OMG, they can't spend all their money if they tried. Back home, they can live as well as they want, go to shows, take vacations, come here to visit us, etc. without a second thought.

Janet, poor pup, and poor you! Can't imagine having to live with a crazy Aussie that cannot be exercised. YIKES!

Bridget, I was SO sure where that was going. Good to be proven wrong. I'm sure that DBF was effusive in praise for the guy, which probably helped him keep his job.

Jennifer, did they get the sliver out? Way back when Khan dislocated my elbow, I was at the ER, waiting to get it taken care of. A bunch of young people came in, accompanying a girl that had a rather large wooden sliver embedded under her finger nail. You could see it through the nail, and it was AWFUL. So, there I am, with my arm bones making a T instead of a ball/socket, almost ready to throw up from seeing a sliver under the finger nail.

L, hope The Plague is gone now. We've only had to deal with a stomach virus a couple of times, and it's awful, awful, awful.

Love that story, Bridget! I was wincing too... but what a sweet ending! Sometimes blunt honesty is sorely needed, and yay for your dbf being brave enough to say what needed to be said. Really bad teeth can definitely hold people back in life. It's a real problem. How sweet that the owner is stepping up -- that's a great employer!

Suja, I'm sometimes skeptic of dentists too. We always go every six months, but I used to have a family dentist who I'd seen since childhood and trusted. Since we moved here, I had to pick a new one and I just didn't like the guy. Seemed smarmy, and a couple of the things he said I needed to have done, I just didn't trust. I went to someone else -- a mom in my mom's group, actually, who was highly recommended -- and she agreed that the stuff he wanted to do was unnecessary. It's awful that medical professionals can take advantage of folks like that. I don't blame you for being wary.

Jennifer, I'm glad your dh is going in to get the sliver out! That happened to my dad once - got a tiny sliver of metal, almost invisible, in his thumb from a diy project. It was a little sore, but he was on a trip and decided to wait to take care of it until he got home. Well, on his long flight home, it swelled up and started hurting him so much he almost passed out. By the time he got off the plane he was a shaky, feverish mess, and his thumb was the size of a lemon. He needed a little surgery and lots of abx to treat the infection. Good for you guys for being on top of the situation!
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

M update. I stayed home from work today and right now he is cuddled up next to me on the couch snoozing. Would you believe he's never really been able to do that before? At first just getting up on the couch was a huge adventure and got him all excited. Then he would get up and want to play with me and end up just pestering me. I've been pretty clear that he can get up, but once he starts pestering he needs to get down. That usually takes less than five minutes. He's finally maturing enough that he can just cuddle - so sweet! I my puppy.