Page 1303 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 30380312031253129313011302130313041305131313531403 ... LastLast
Results 39,061 to 39,090 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I need to change my siggy pic-It's from the summer. But is there still a problem with changing sigs?

Nah, I wouldn't take it away. But I would talk to him, not at that moment when things are difficult but later, about how bedtime is hard and maybe night activities aren't a good idea for him yet and that after this you might have to wait until he is a little older. The talk may not fix the behavior but I have found it's good to keep an open dialog about these things. I can't even tell you how many times Savana has said, "NOW I know what you meant when you said..." Like she just had to let it sink in and grow up a little bit before she got it.

She told me tonight that she missed the friend she made at the nature center homeschool class so that is a plus that she is looking forward to going back. She also told me that when they were drawing, he kept saying his owl was stupid and he was bad at drawing. She said the teacher kept arguing with him that his picture was beautiful. She was like, "And you know what, Mom? It wasn't beautiful. He's not a very good drawer. That teacher should not have lied to him. The eyes looked really good so i just told him that instead of making up a lie." She just leaves me speechless sometimes!

Aww. She is wise beyond her years.

I will talk to him tomorrow about night time activities.

Wow at Savana!

Bridget, about that curriculum, I have used it with my kids and found that some of my kids have been a little "young" for it. But I actually think it would work for Kai - given what a bright little guy he is and the comments of his you've posted. He's ready and should get it.

If you look around the site they have a new curriculum they have developed for kindergarten (and maybe a little younger?) I have absolutely no experience with it so can't vouch for it, although I would recommend pretty much anything on that site without hesitation. MGW is really a pioneer in what she does. But I think Kai is ready for the one I linked to and it's a really engaging, kid-friendly product. I would just go for that one because the other one might be too babyish for him.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Well, shoot, I had a long reply typed out and I lost it. Hi everybody. There is more vomiting in our house, DH is down for the count, and I'm worn out.

Oh, L! That reminds me. I saw this posted on Facebook this morning and thought of you and your DH. http://www.openculture.com/2013/02/p...ics_paper.html

I'm sorry for the vomiting.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Oh, L! That reminds me. I saw this posted on Facebook this morning and thought of you and your DH. http://www.openculture.com/2013/02/p...ics_paper.html I'm sorry for the vomiting.
    That was adorable, and I love even more that you thought of us when you read it.
    'No control group, inadequate sample size, and unwarranted assumptions about future conditions ... but yeah, congratulations,' one Reddit user wrote.
    'While innovative and emotionally appealing, the submitted paper fails to cite any of its sources and skims over its methodology," another added. 'As such, I cannot in good conscience recommend it for publication.'

'Has it been Peer-reviewed? If not, the results could be bogus. But seriously: congratulations ,' said another, while one fellow scientist added her appreciation: 'As a scientist and a lady, this is the cutest thing I've ever seen. '
    Last edited by 3andMe; 02-27-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Oh, I didn't read the comments! The second one you quoted is hilarious.

The peers are presumably the "different co-bodies" in section 2. However, I think a further credit/acknowledgment of these co-bodies in the Acknowledgment section would be appropriate. Section 3 clearly indicates that the study was successful and the hypothesis correct. I qualify as a neutral peer and I believe this document is worthy of publication -- so take an upvote from me. I invite OP to provide an additional paper for consideration after the permanent full joining of the two initial bodies. It should include the details of the joining ceremony and the reactions of familiar co-bodies. Further, this reviewer would like a brief summary of the location and increase in happiness provided by the post-joining vacation.
    This redditor wishes both 'bodies' many decades of continued attraction and increasing happiness in your study. Study well and often.

Thanks Bridget! Hope you are rid of diapers soon. Yes, the novelty does wear off quickly!

Hate to just pop in and out, but it's been a long day. Our dog cut himself pretty decently on some barbed wire on our walk today, so we ALL (including Maiya) went to the emergency vet instead of going home to bed... So it's late, and I'm hungry, and I have my IUI tomorrow!!

Good luck, Janet!

Good luck!!!!!!

good luck!

Are we still manually making our paragraphs? I'm too lazy to test myself, so put the < p > in just in case.

I kicked butt yesterday and outsmarted a team of exchange engineers. Their changes and new process (Microsoft best practices, you know!) brought my Outlook to its knees (we migrated the night before last and spent yesterday assisting users that had some hiccups). I had several conversations with my buddy from CIT (our exchange team guy) about what I was seeing with my Outlook and he kept saying, "That shouldn't be happening." I finally said, "You say that a lot when it comes to us." And it's true. Anyway, they spent the day troubleshooting and changing things on the backend...and not really resolving anything. I theorized myself what was causing the problems (authentication on the resource accounts wasn't working, but Outlook kept trying-thus freezing my Outlook). I tested my theory on mine and then made my manager try to do the same. She had the same results and I totally busted Outlook as well-simply by following the new, published recommendations from CIT on how to add the shared calendars. I then decided to approach adding our resource accounts (the conference rooms) a different way using Outlook, and bam. It worked. My Outlook ran all night even and it's still functioning this morning. CIT didn't like it and said they couldn't promise it would keep working and reminded me the other way was Microsoft's recommendations. I said, "Since when does Microsoft know what they're talking about? If we experience flakiness, I'll know to remove the rooms and try to add them your way but as long as this works, I'm using it. AND I'm telling my users to add their resource accounts my way as well."

What was really ridiculous is initially, when I was the only one seeing the issues, they were trying to blame it on my network connection. I mean, come on! I insisted it was only Outlook that was experiencing problems and besides that I am a tech. If I have ethernet connectivity issues, I'm gonna be the first one to notice it. They should know by now that if I have to resort to calling them (I LOATH to), then we really got a problem because I will jump through every hoop trying to resolve it on my end before I contact them. Their knee-jerk answer to everything is either we're doing it wrong, something is wrong with our machine/network, and with Office 365 sometimes you have to wait 24-48 hours for 'things to sort themselves out.' I told them that's absolutely unacceptable. And then figured out a solution myself that didn't involve the nasty Outlook.com (their final response when they can no longer offer any suggestions)..

And 'we' as a university are supposed to centralize under these people. It's a horrible, scary, awful thought. They're really utterly clueless.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Chrissy, do you think they don't take you seriously enough because of your gender? I ask, because the field tends to be so male oriented.

Still in a funk this morning. A million things to do, and no motivation to do any of it.

I'm sorry about your poor doggie Janet but good luck today! I hope that smaller follies do the trick. Bigger isn't better with those things...when I was doing ultrasounds mine always ran 29-31 mm and my big ones didn't get me anywhere.

There is something going on at my MIL's job and she might be let go. Sounds like her husband is going to get the paperwork started for the divorce at the end of March and they have been talking to a realtor about the house and it sounds like it could finally sell for the loan and a bit more. So depending on how things fall out, chance she might be moving in with us. She might also go to Milwaukee and live with her dad...he's 92 but she would rather be with us (my DH is her only child and I'm the daughter she never had). If she comes by us we will need to finish off the basement...it's studded, plumbed and insulated so it's a bit done. The bedroom and living room down there both have real sized lookout windows. Only way we could all live together would be for her to have her own bedroom, bathroom and living room. It would be really nice for us though to have someone there to help with the baby and be there so we could get out for dinner once in a while....or watch the dogs if we wanted a weekend away. I don't see her having the funds to get an apartment....three divorces really hurts and the second one she got majorly screwed by community property laws and a really awful man. So we are just waiting right now and seeing how it all plays out.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh no, Janet! Barbed wire can make a nasty cut.

Our Lulu had to go to the animal ER yesterday too. She had a cyst behind her ear that was growing back, and we were going to have it removed anyway later in March, but it must have opened and she scratched it. DH called and described it to me. It was supposedly such a gaping wound that he said it looked like "raw hamburger" (sorry if that's too graphic). So she's back in doggie surgery today. Here's to our healthy pups!

On that subject, every time we go to the vet these days, they're telling us our dogs HAVE to have their teeth cleaned. We already caved once and paid for these expensive teeth cleanings, but do you guys think they're absolutely necessary? My DH is usually the one to take the dogs to the vet, so I'm never there to hear their sell on it, but the way DH describes it, it's as though they're suggesting that their uncleaned teeth pose a major health hazard that can shorten their life spans. Does anyone know anything about this? When we were growing up, we never had our family dogs' teeth cleaned. The vet is telling us we should have Lulu's teeth cleaned (a year after last cleaning) while she's there having the cyst is being removed, and we declined today. Their dental care is costing more than ours!

Oh, yes, and gosh, good luck on the trigger shot, Janet!

====

Chrissy, I hate dealing with techs who are inflexible like the guys you're describing. If they have a solid reason for saying your way won't work, they should at least be able to articulate the downstream implications. I know a lot of developers like that who like to insist "your solution won't work" and struggle to find the words to explain why. Then lo and behold, the solution works afterall when you find someone else willing to implement it.

Janet, good luck with the trigger. Sticky beans to you.

Hope all the dogs do well, recovering from injury/surgery.

Myles, you should be able to take a look at your dog's teeth and be able to tell whether she needs a cleaning or not. Pan, at 12, has never had one. Khan has had one or two, but that was because he was already under for having teeth pulled (cracked them). If you are concerned, give the pup a raw knuckle bone or neck bone to chew on, once or twice a week. That is pretty good for scraping the teeth and keeping them clean. Obviously, never give cooked bones, and I don't give weight bearing bones of any animal. You can also give tail/feet, but those tend to be more expensive.

Good luck Janet! And I'm sorry your dog got cut. I hope it wasn't too bad

Myles, our vet recently suggested we brush Bo's teeth. We're supposed to gradually introduce it, first on the finger just to lick off, then to rub on the teeth a little, and slowly graduate to using the toothbrush. I admit I don't do it every day, but whenever I remember.

Since we're talking about dogs--I had a dream last night that I was petting a dog (I've run into a lot of sweet doggies recently) and I woke up and I was petting DH's arm. LOL

I was hoping you'd respond, Suja. Thanks! I have to admit I've heard that dogs should chew on raw bones, and I've never once gotten them one. We gave them Greenies for their teeth. I know bones are something they'd love, so I just have to figure out a butcher, I guess, who can sell me the bones. Can they be any kind of bone (pig/lamb/beef) or does it have to be from a particular kind of animal? Which bones are weight-bearing bones? Sorry to be full of questions. I'll actually Google that now. Guess I'm just sharing what I don't know...

On another topic, I'm really bugged that the font editor buttons are missing and I have to use bb tags to make my text italicized. I'm sorry to see that APA has been having such a hard time vBulletin, because of all the BB applications out there, I think I like the look and basic functionality of vBulletin best. I'm building out a BB for my hubby's website soon, and it's a shame I can't consider it a candidate at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Since we're talking about dogs--I had a dream last night that I was petting a dog (I've run into a lot of sweet doggies recently) and I woke up and I was petting DH's arm. LOL
    Poor guy prob'ly thought he was about to get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Poor guy prob'ly thought he was about to get lucky.
    He didn't even wake up!

It can be any animal. Just keep in mind that pork tends to be fattier, and anything with lots of marrow = lots of fat = explosive diarrhea butt. When first introducing, you might want to take out some of the marrow and/or limit chewing time, to see how their tummies react. Weight bearing bones are generally femur. They sell them as soup bones or marrow bones. Typically, the "filled bones" you get at pet supply stores are femur. You can give them, but with supervision. Those bones tend to be extremely hard, and can break teeth, which kind of defeats the whole purpose. I just avoid them altogether, after having learned my lesson the hard way. I usually get beef/pork neck bones, as they are soft, pig's feet, ox tail, and in season, turkey necks are awesome. Butchers sometimes give away this stuff for cheap/low cost, as they tend to be cuts of meat that people don't generally consume.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Chrissy, do you think they don't take you seriously enough because of your gender? I ask, because the field tends to be so male oriented.
    With the one guy, I'm sure that is his problem. But there's a whole team, one guy rather likes me, and a couple women that are just as idiotic and stubborn as the chauvinist. I'm sorry you're still in a funk.

The only thing CIT can tell us is that "Microsoft says adding the group account through account settings could result in unpredictable behavior." The problem is, doing it per Microsoft's "best practices" simply does not work for us. At all. It will not allow us to even authenticate, much less access the group accounts. Once they're in there, it bogs down outlook because it's continually trying to authenticate...but it can't. eta: We can 'authenticate" in that it will allow us to add the group account and we're prompted at that time for our credentials. That piece works. But when we open Outlook and we're prompted there for our credentials, it fails. It doesn't give an 'invalid password' or anything, just continuously prompts again and again and again for credentials till you get tired of it and hit cancel.

Not only do we need to have access, so we did it the way that works, but everyone that was migrated was moved with their EGAs connected in the 'old' non-microsoft-best-practices way. Theirs are all working. I don't care if their way is the way to go. They need to make it so we can actually do it.
    Last edited by missychrissy; 02-28-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Myles...depends on the dog. My MIL's springer in 14 years never had a dental done. His teeth were white and just beautiful. My Cosmo is a totally different story. She's had a yearly one since she was 3 yrs, maybe even 2 yrs old. She could actually stand to have it twice a year but we won't do that. And she gets her teeth brushed every week. You can just see the buildup on her teeth, especially on the one side. She must chew on the other side only. and she gets really bad breath. A cleaning makes a huge difference. And yes the bad teeth=shorter lifespan just like humans. There is a link between infections in the teeth/gums and things like heart disease. Molly gets her teeth brushed when Cosmo does or when she eats Cosmo's poop because that is just disgusting (she does it less often now but still like once a month and her access to it is limited as much as we can).
    Molly loves to chew on things...a rawhide, a nylabone, her own nails.....Cosmo only chews food. Even a flavored rawhide she is done with after a minute or two and would rather roll on it.
    And yes Cosmo is expensive...dental cleaning plus all the bloodwork before (she is now in the senior panel...plus they test at that time the levels of potassium bromide that she takes for seizures).....that one visit runs $300-400. We are REALLY hoping that Molly has better teeth and doesn't need many cleanings until after Cosmo is gone.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Thanks Jen! Yep, those doggie dentists are making a killing. I wish I could be as thoroughly anaesthetized before all my dentist trips!

I have lots to write, but can't - sliced my finger up pretty good last night cutting a big block of parmesan. It's right over the knuckle, was gaping and still open/bleeding this morning... maybe should have gotten it stitched but I think it'll heal fine with steristrips & a splint. Just makes typing slow and cumbersome, so I'll be keeping replies short(er) for a while. Anyhoo -

L, sorry about the continued pukefest. Man, you must be exhausted.

Janet, good luck today!!!! Fingers crossed that this is your month.

Bridget, Savana is so wise. I hope you find some solutions for Kai. I'm sure he will mature in that way with time, but in the meanwhile I know it's heartbreaking to see.

As for me, I've been busy helping I with a video she had to film for her french class. It's a big part of her grade, and her group had a boy flake out repeatedly until last night they were on their last possible night of filming, it was soon to be dark, and we were at a park with no substitutes around. Guess who had to fill in? Never let it be said I don't love my children.
    (I'm hesitant to post this because I know Suja already thinks of me as Deflated Eggplants, and I hate to add in Blue Marker Mustache, but if it gives any of you a giggle, it's worth it.)

-- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Why Gretchen, how did I never see the resemblance before between you and Errol Flynn?

L, I dont' know how I missed the comment about all the tossage of cookie in your home. I'm sorry about that. I hope it doesn't hit you too, and I also hope your test went well!

Myles maybe if you threaten to bite your dentist..... LOL Actually when Cosmo was in for her thyroid test in Dec the vet was like, you should think about getting her teeth cleaned when looking at her. I was like we do and her last one was like 6 months ago. I would think that they were making it up but really there is a huge difference after the cleaning and the tartar you can see so easily now. We are thinking we might have them remove one her lipomas when she gets the next cleaning done in June/July. She's got a number on them and most on her belly/chest but she has a good sized one in her armpit and I think it bothers her sometimes when sitting....not running and walking but when sitting she often keeps readjusting that leg.

But yeah after feeling so awful for not getting her eyes fixed sooner....I should have listened to my gut that the vet was wrong and saw a specialist so much soon.....her eyes look 100x better after a year on prednisone and it's such a simple fix. And than feeling bad that I didn't realize her thyroid was low when I know signs.....I just couldn't handle if if she got sick and died younger than needed because I didn't want to pay for her dental cleanings. So we do them every year and probably will until she is close to the end....so hopefully 6 more since she is only 9.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Why Gretchen, how did I never see the resemblance before between you and Errol Flynn?
    I thought you resembled someone, G! Thank you for the laugh! I am so sorry to hear about your finger. That sounds like something I would do. My DH gets a fearful look in his eyes when he sees me chopping anything in the kitchen! I usually end up handing the knife over to him and giving up before I cut anything off!