Page 1302 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 30280212021252129213001301130213031304131213521402 ... LastLast
Results 39,031 to 39,060 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Come to think of it, they do a 'Stop' song at Mira's school as well. It goes something like 'Hop and hop and hop and hop ad hop and STOP! Tiptoe, tiptoe, tiptoe, tiptoe, tiptoe, tiptoe and STOP!' There is more to it, I just don't know what the remaining actions are, in the right order.

Mandy, I don't know what her prognosis is. The oncologist was supposed to tell them about the type of cancer, stage, etc. today. I don't think mom is too old either, as my friend is in her mid 20s.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Bridget, I have to go to bed and I have an all-day test tomorrow, but here is a link to a huge amount of resources from the system that my school uses: http://www.pbisworld.com/tier-2/teach-social-skills/
    They use Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS) for discipline and recognition, and tie that in to a cultural framework of respect for each other and their surroundings. I love the way they handle problems and try to catch people being good. They encourage students to do so as well. I also just found out that our school is going to be an example of "a school that works" in George Lucas Edutopia projects.

Myles, I hope your house works out for the best!

Suja, I'm so so sorry... That sounds horrible. Cancer is evil...

Kate, I think you did fine with Josh. If it was geared towards kids, even older ones, then kids were welcome, and noise just comes with kids. When it got too loud, you removed him. Sounds perfect to me!

Bridget, poor Kai! He is such a sweetie, I hope you guys can work that out. I'm sure he will have tons of friends soon enough!

I've also heard that games / songs that encourage kids to stop are good for them. If nothing else, it improves listening skill and encourages stopping as a good thing, not bad. We do simple things like red light / green light and Simon Says (though that's a bit different, it's still good listening practice).

Chrissy, I'm so sorry about your work! My ex-job was horrible like that. Constantly. Every day. UGH. I hope things go better than you expect!

And thanks, all, for the input about Maiya. I think you guys were right, because today, she didn't ask or try to pee on the grass even once! Let's hope that's the end of it. And next time we use the pottette without a toilet, I think I will make sure she pees in the bag, not on the grass. ;)

I have news about my IUI! I will trigger tonight, IUI on Thursday morning. I'm so nervous. I have 4 follies, and they're not that big. Biggest is 19.5, and she wanted to see a minimum of 21. But she doesn't want to wait longer, because I have a lot of smaller follies that will catch up, and then I'll be at risk for septuplets or more (well, in theory I'll be at risk for them, and she doesn't want to take that chance, even though realistically, I'll be lucky if I get one!). But for Maiya, my biggest was 17... It's gonna be a LOOOOOONG 2 weeks!

Yay Maiya! I can't WAIT until we are done with diapers. The novelty of cloth diapering has worn off and then some. I am just sick to heck of washing those diapers.
    Thanks for that link, L. I can't wait until I have some time to look at it in more detail. Great stuff there. How cool for your kids' school. I wish they could all be like that. I am feeling fresh today and ready to deal with Kai's behavior in a more productive fashion than scolding him all day. Yesterday was a crap day. I have done the Go Go Go Go STOP type activities with him. He loves them. BUT he's the one that freezes, and then falls over SPLAT on the floor because he thinks he's funny. He does the same thing at martial arts although that is getting much better. Every time he would do a kick, he'd fall after. His teacher has really been working with him on maintaining eye contact and staying on his feet. I feel like the teacher must notice my worried face as he's talking to the kids about focus and concentration and Kai yells out, "ARE WE GONNA DO SWORDS TODAY?" Oy. He came up to me after last weeks class and said that he can see tons of improvement in Kai's focus from day one. I could hug him for his patience.

I forgot to tell you guys at church we parked across the street. Josh saw a car coming at the end of the street, said "Car!" and proceeded to dash across the street in front of it. It wasn't a near miss but close enough to bother me. Then I had a dream last night that he did it again!He's good at games like freeze tag and Mother May I, or What time is it Mister Fox, which is a similar idea, so I know he can control his body when he wants to, but it's a reoccuring theme that he thinks he cannot.
    Last edited by daylilies; 02-27-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Got a call yesterday, from one of DH's college classmates. It looks like their college reunion is a go, and it will be in August. DH is suggesting that we take a vacation in Europe before going to India, 'cause once we go there, all we do is sit around with family (and he's apparently had enough of that). Only thing is, I have no idea where to go, that would appeal to Mira as well. What I'd really like to do is go on an African safari, but that'll probably have to wait until she's older.

Ooo, that sounds fun!My dad has been to Africa a couple times and has brought back some amazing pictures. How does one go to the bathroom out there though, do you have to go behind a bush or do they put portapotties every few miles? LOL

I think you sweat all the water off, which solves the peeing problem :-) Having gone to school in India, I'm pretty used to holding it for 8 or 10 hours at a time. When we go to India, one of the flight legs is generally 14 - 15 hours long, and I usually go once, twice max.

You shou come see me, Suja!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    You shou come see me, Suja!
    The thought had crossed my mind. Mira would love to add a few "brudders" to her list.

Sorry about my spelling error before. I tried to edit it but can't seem to do so.

We could meet at Disneyland Paris or something...or maybe London. Lol. I'd love to meet my apa ladies. I feel weird calling y'all that, but that's what you are!

I simply refer to everyone as "My Mama Friends" I think I've even mentioned this group at work. lol

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Yeah, I refer to y'all as my MomFo friends - to distinguish from my DogFo friends ;-).

And I will henceforth call you guys "The Momfia" (ok, I stole that from myself from awhile back, but of all them momsies I know, it most fits us heathens.)

L, thank you for sharing that link. I bookmarked it, and would love to be able to read every single resource it shares, although I have to confess that titles like "How Being Less Naturally Social Can Affect Your Interpersonal Success" terrify me. LOL.

Kate, I don't blame you for having a nightmare about Josh jumping out in front of the car. I can honestly picture Bodhi doing the same thing, and thinking it's hilarious. Hugs, mama.

Yesterday, I walked past a kids consignment shop, stopped in and picked out a few books for B. I saw this one very cool-looking Usborne book that was basically a bunch of pull-out stencils shaped like construction vehicles. Bodhi loves to draw, and he loves all kinds of diggers, loaders, etc. But some instinct told me not to buy the book for him. I just had this feeling that stenciling - like perhaps tracing - might interfere with his creative development and contribute to a habit of using "shortcuts" to doing things, like drawing a picture from scratch. Do you think there's anything to the way I felt?

I usually just say, "A friend of mine" and then Savana will be like, "Who???" and then I'll say, "Uh...Ashley." And she's like, "Who is ASHLEY? What are her kids names? I have never heard of them!" and then the person I'm talking to is probably thinking I made the whole thing up. Lol.

Oh, and Suja, what a fun quandary to be in! I've never had to think about taking Bodhi to Europe, but I'll bet that if you search the forums at TripAdvisor, you'll find all sorts of ideas for child-friendly itineraries. Let's just hope she doesn't decide to speed off on a moped down the Spanish Steps, only disappear for hours and, later, you'll find her skinny dipping in the Trevi fountain. Hee!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I usually just say, "A friend of mine" and then Savana will be like, "Who???" and then I'll say, "Uh...Ashley." And she's like, "Who is ASHLEY? What are her kids names? I have never heard of them!" and then the person I'm talking to is probably thinking I made the whole thing up. Lol.

LOL Bridget! Josh is like that too. He wants to know who all those kids are on facebook. "Who is that? Can we visit him? What's his name? Can we be friends?"

Bridget, take a look at this article: http://www.socialthinking.com/what-i...e-unthinkable-

Here is a quote:
    Without realizing it, those of us who develop along a normal trajectory of social learning ("neurotypicals" or NTs) intuitively develop an "inner social coach." This coach gets started in infancy and continues evolving non-stop through our lifetimes. The social sense we gain helps us negotiate the changing, shifting, context-driven world of social interactions. Without direct instruction we learn how to behave in the presence of others. We stumble along a little while we're young but quickly learn more sophisticated skills. We come to understand that interactions with one or more people involve more than just outward behaviors. Their success depends on a careful back and forth dance that includes assessing our own needs and those of others, the history (if any) between us, and the thoughts we are thinking about each other during the interaction. It's complicated! And, constantly shifting and changing! A child learns that when his play partner turns his body away or his peer starts looking around the room, those are signs of boredom and he'd better change something to keep the partner engaged. As an adult we learn to wait until the boss shifts his focus away from us in a meeting before looking down at our watch for the time.

Those born with their social thinking brain wiring fully functional may find it difficult to appreciate the absence of this social intuitive learning. It's so second nature to NTs that trying to imagine any other way of thinking is perhaps, unthinkable! We teach and coach others predominately through a framework that is built on social thinking. But, what about those who don't have this innate framework? How do we reach them?
    This is a curriculum, developed based on the research done by the author of the article above, that I have used to teach social thinking skills (i.e. teaching the thought processes behind social behavior rather than teaching explicit behaviors, which is the focus of traditional social skills training). I think Kai might really enjoy this: http://www.socialthinking.com/books-...package-detail

The target audience includes kids with ADHD although again, much of this comes out of the research being done for kids with Asperger's syndrome. Many kids with AS have co-occurring ADHD (or it's just part of the diagnosis, depending on who you talk to) so the deficits overlap in some ways.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 02-27-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Mira is seriously testing my patience. I feel like running away from home.

Yikes! Sorry, Suja. Run west, if you do run away.

When G sees APA or facebook he always wants to book multiple play dates. Then sometimes I hear him talking about his friends "Connor" or "Josh" Work is going well, I am feeling more confident on the phone and computer. I am still learning all the medical terminology. I had no idea the problems your bladder can cause you as you grow older! It's fun to have co-workers again, I am getting to know them a bit better. Two of the women I have bonded with said they thought I was from Illinois, because I am so cool. LOL! Never been to Illinois, but okay. Some of the office politics/gossip is tiresome. This is the first large company I have worked for. Before I worked in my family business, and then very small offices. Gilly has adjusted very well. We are so lucky is a go with the flow kid. I am still trying to figure out what to do with him this summer. I think I have decided on the parks and rec program, it's sounds pretty good and several moms from work have given them high praise.I have caught up and would think of comments but now of course I can't remember anything. So peace, love, and donuts to all my Momfia friends.I am thinking 8 would my minimum age for a true African safari. Before that age I think it would wasted on them, and you may to run away and leave them in the African wild. Knowing my kid, he would love that.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Nice to see you in here, Shelly! I'm glad you and Gilly are adjusting to the change.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Mandy, do you know my Kai or what?? A comic is the way to that kids brain, I tell ya. I can get him to practice reading and writing if it involves reading or writing a comic! He comes up with some pretty cute ones. It does say it is for 2nd grade-5th grade. Do you think it would be appropriate for him? I am getting ready to sell some of my waldorf books that we've used already so I should be able to buy some new materials as soon as they sell.

I took the kids swimming at the Y tonight. We had to get out of the house! It was really fun but I caught a glimpse of myself in my swimsuit and i'm not impressed. I have some tightening and toning to do big time. Ugh. I gain around my middle so my arms and legs are still thin but it's like a tire...NOT cool.
    Shelley, I am so glad to see you in here and awesome to hear how things are falling into place with your changes.

Suja, I felt like that yesterday. They can be so exhausting. I forced myself to handle things differently today and lo and behold it wasn't so bad!

Oh Shelley, that warms my heart to hear that he talks about Josh.

We had Lion King rehearsal again tonight and getting home and going to bed was another struggle. I brought him a clementine to have for a snack in the car but he wanted a drink and we were out of juice. I didn't think to bring something that would go with milk. So he had a meltdown in the car because he had no drink and it just went downhill from there. I don't think I'll be doing night time activities for a while after this lion king thing is over.

That might be a good idea, Kate. Sorry it was rough. Sometimes no matter what ya do, ya can't win when they are tired. I was nervous about tonight because the open swim at the Y is from 6:30-8:30 and we normally start our bedtime routine before 7. I kept telling them that we were up late and that their behavior was going to be the deciding factor in my future decisions to take us night swimming. I had to say it to Kai about 12 times from the moment we got home. He was exhausted and on the brink of meltdown. Like when I told him to go brush his teeth and he said his legs didn't work. The idea of possibly losing the chance to go night swimming again got those legs moving. In fact, they had so much power in them that he was actually able to stomp the entire way. Lol

lol Bridget! That's a riot!

LOL Bridget!I've threatened to not let him go back to lion king rehearsals but that doesn't seem fair. He loves it and he tells everyone he knows about it. I can't take it away just because he's all wound up after rehearsal, right?

I would like, for once, to pee in peace. Without screaming, tantrums, and water dumped on the bathroom floor. This was afer she had been setup in the shower with toys. I ended up not talking to her, other than absolute essentials. Nothing good was going to come out of my mouth, until I had calmed down sufficiently.

Anyway, she had her 3 year checkup today. 70th percentile for height, 60th for weight, and all is well, otherwise. She still needs to have her lead/iron test, pending from her 2 year checkup ( the blood guy was out sick, then out on vacation, and today, his basement got flooded, so he had to leave), so we have to go back for it. I'm starting to think she's got some sort of voodoo capabilities.

Shelley, good to hear from you, and that everything is going quite well.

Mira also wants to know who everyone is, and especially, who the kids are. She has her favorites - Ky and Elle, Bodhi, Emme, etc. i think it's based on the siggy pics.