Page 1296 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 29679611961246128612941295129612971298130613461396 ... LastLast
Results 38,851 to 38,880 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I don't think my mother had to sew anything for me. Speaking of sewing we did an activity day at church today and Josh made a cloth postcard. It's really very pretty, I'll take a pic and post it when I get a chance. He really got a kick out of it. I was busy and didn't get to see exactly how it was done.. I keep forgetting how young he still is. I keep expecting him to think things like that are boring. I'm not sure why. I made cookies with the kids and they were a big hit even though one batch got burned on the bottom We've also taken a look at his tv viewing habits in light of recent conversations and realized a lot of the stuff he watches could probably wait a couple more years. We're aiming towards talking animal movies now instead of Transformers and Star Wars. Not as entertaining for me and DH but probably better for Josh

Ooh, i'd like to see the postcard! Sounds like a good project. Last winter we were really into sewing and also I would burlap on a crochet ring and use a big tapestry needle and yarn so they could stitch designs. My mom was really into sewing. She always told me a door to door sewing machine salesman came to the farm when she was 17 and she begged my grandpa to buy it for her. He said only if it meant she'd start sewing her own clothes. And she did! Everything. Even her wedding dress. She made us tons of clothes when we were growing up and it drove us crazy because we would see clothes we wanted at the mall and she'd say, "I can make that!" But she even went so far to appease us that she would find brand name stuff at garage sales and cut out the tags to sew on our clothes. Otherwise she had tags that said, "made with love by margaret" She made me and my two bff's MC hammer pants in middle school. We were the shiznit.

Pictures! Bridget, you have to post puctures!

I wish I'd seen how he did it because he used a bunch of scraps but you can't see the seams where he sewed them together. I don't know how to do that. I'm sure it's quite easy. One of the ladies was trying to teach me how to knit, but I couldn't wrap my head around that either. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Ooh, i'd like to see the postcard! Sounds like a good project. Last winter we were really into sewing and also I would burlap on a crochet ring and use a big tapestry needle and yarn so they could stitch designs. My mom was really into sewing. She always told me a door to door sewing machine salesman came to the farm when she was 17 and she begged my grandpa to buy it for her. He said only if it meant she'd start sewing her own clothes. And she did! Everything. Even her wedding dress. She made us tons of clothes when we were growing up and it drove us crazy because we would see clothes we wanted at the mall and she'd say, "I can make that!" But she even went so far to appease us that she would find brand name stuff at garage sales and cut out the tags to sew on our clothes. Otherwise she had tags that said, "made with love by margaret" She made me and my two bff's MC hammer pants in middle school. We were the shiznit.
    Haha! I love it. I am also totally guilty of the "I can make that" thing. Drives I crazy sometimes, but she does like it when I make clothes for her. That reminds me - I forgot to take a pic of that little vintagey dress I made for Noe. I made her a cute upcycled dress for V-day too. I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

I'm glad you had a good time at the play (and that you were able to go this time!). Sawyer sounds so adorable.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Sounds like a nice time at the play, Bridet. We borrowed "Too Many Frogs" from the library once. Is it the story (SPOILER ALERT!!) where she ends up with 1 million frogs in her basement? I always just read 1 million as "one hundred" because there seemed to only be that many in the illustration.

Oh, Jennifer, somehow I missed your post about a baby! I hope this is your year. How exciting!!

I'd better not EVER get any sewing projects for Maiya. I am pathetic. You should see the horrible patch job I did on one of Maiya's babies that the dog chewed up. Looks awful! But, oh well, Maiya doesn't mind one bit.

L, I'm so sorry you guys are so sick! So you mean, on top of the knocked out tooth, C is also sick? Poor thing, I was just going to ask how she was feeling... Hope you all recover soon.

Myles, sorry about your sister... I don't know what's going on, but it sounds bad...

Did my first injection of this cycle tonight! This time seems to be going by so fast... But I doubt the 2ww will...

We're going back to the farm tomorrow, hoping to see some brand new born baby sheep! I've been hoping to see them actually BEING born, but man, it's impossible to time like that. Darn. I'm sure they're (at least some of them) born by now, though, and think Maiya would love to see the "brand new born baby baas"!

What is the farm? Is it a family farm? I wish we had access to one to just hang out at!Well my peaceful night took a wretched turn. i got the kids to bed really early because I could tell Kai was a little under the weather, although it didn't seem serious. He's had a minor runny nose and infrequent cough for about 3 days now. No fever or slowing down at all. Out of nowhere last night during bedtime stories, he starts this really loud, unproductive cough. I set him up in front of the cool mist with eucalyptus oil and he fell asleep quickly. But he kept coughing and it was getting worse and worse. Twice he started gagging so I quickly sat him up and he threw up phlegm. I gave him a spoonful of honey, rubbed eucalptus on his feet and he seemed to settle. About 20 minutes later, at around midnight, he had the most insane coughing spell and I was coming to him when he met me in the hall and his face was bright red. When he said somthing it was, "I can't breath, mama. I can't get my breath" and he was taking really quick inhales of air. It was the scariest thing. i panicked and I called 911. They came, took his vitals, said they wanted to bring him in for a steroid treatment and look at his lungs. Of course I am alone so I had to wake up S and S and take everyone in together. I followed the ambulance and they let me pull into the garage so that I didn't have to take the kids through the blizzard that conveniently started about 15 minutes before Kai woke up. They were kind enough to start my van for me also and kept offering to carry one or more of the kids but of course my won't let any strange person touch them with a ten foot pole. They diagnosed him with croup at the hospital and gave him a nebulizer treatment and an oral steroid which frankly doesn't seemed to have helped him much as he still coughing horribly. Anyway, we leave the hospital around 2:45am and it's a crazy winter storm. On the way home I cannot make it up a steep hill so have to slide back down backwards and taking a running start on it. That did it. We get to our street and I am just praying (to who?) that I can make it up our hill. Thankfully, I do. But get this. We always use our garage opener to get in the house, instead of house keys. We never lock the door from the garage to the house because it's just not neccessary. But last night, right after the kids went to the bed, the wind was making a lot of bumps outside, I got nervous and locked that door. WHY? It doesn't even matter unless there was someone actually hiding, trapped inside the garage! When we left for the hospital, I locked the front door. So we came home and were locked out. It's a blizzard. I try every door, knowing full well it's all locked up tight, per my double and triple check every night. I put the kids in the car to stay warm and then I got out the shovel and shoveled 2 feet of old hard icy snow off of our egress window. Mind you all I am wearing is a sweatshirt in my rush to leave the house. So I pry up the egress window cover and convince Savana to crawl down there and check the window, assuring her a dozen time that every single spider that lives in there all spring is dead as a doornail. (first time she's ever shown fear of bugs but who can blame her??) THANK GOODNESS the window was unlocked down there. She was able to crawl through and let us in.I finally got everyone back to sleep at 4am. Sawyer was up at 6. Kai at 7. I am so tired I think I slept about 2 hours total in monitering Kai well he slept because I was so scared for him. Today we are supposed to go visit our cousins in MN with my dad and I have to break the news to them that we cannot go. They have 4 kids that don't need this cough. They will be devastated.I need coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. With whiskey.

OMG Bridget!! What an absolute nightmare!!!! How scary! I'm so glad you are all OK and you were able to get in your house.
    AKA Lisa724

Omg, Bridget! What a night! Trav once had croup and we had to dial 911 because he couldn't breathe either. So, so scary!

I'm so sorry Bridget! What a nightmare.

Oh, Kate, when the stitches don't show it's done by making the stitches then flipping it inside out.

I might post the picture on facebook (because I'm lazy about photos and it's so easy to take a photo with my phone and post it right to fb)

Janet, I am thinking that this year this group is going to start seeing some baby action. I don't think that there were any 2012 babies....and a couple of us trying to get one.OH Bridget, that is an awful nightmare of a night.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Bridget, oh my stars! That's the worst night I think I've ever heard of. You deserve a medal (and lots of sleep, and whiskey). Poor Kai - and poor you, that just sounds so scary. You must have been terrified. And shoveling snow at 3 a.m. with three kids in the car, one of whom was just at the er - I can hardly fathom it. You are made of some tough stuff.

And L, I forgot to mention earlier, but I'm so sorry your family has had the yucks. I feel so bad for S -- it's so scary and icky for little kids to throw up, I don't blame him for not wanting to.

Janet, good luck on this cycle!!! Wishing the best for you! And Jennifer -- this does sound like the year for you, and I hope it's soon, soon, soon.

Oh goodness Bridget...what a night! And croup is the worst. Bobbie had it and I've never forgotten how horrible that cough is. In fact, I felt anxiety every time I heard the croup commercial they were playing a few months ago. I hope he feels better very, very soon.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

What a horrible night - you are a strong and resourceful person.

I am in trouble if people expect me to sew anything beyond curtains.

I am feeling better today than I have been in a while. I have been feeling stressed and upset over everything lately, like pms or something similar. I had a meeting with another gallery yesterday and when that was over I just felt better. It was weird. I really hate showing my work to galleries and telling them how much it costs. But I felt bad before I made that appointment so I don't know why the feelings would hinge on that. Anyway, I ended up going to Michaels after the meeting to pick up a few supplies that I will need for showing my work there (because she liked my stuff and will show it for Easter, so that's good) and found the perfect thing to finish my re-do of JoJo's room for not too much money and then went to my favorite little resale boutique (thrift store!) and found several good shirts and dresses for summer, since it got up to 79 degrees yesterday. I still have a ton of work to do, but it doesn't feel quite so heavy today. Give me a day or two and I'm sure it will start weighing again.I was listening to the Fresh Air podcast last night and there was an interview with a doctor about near death experiences and what medical death really is, etc. I'm a little disturbed because the doctor was talking about how they can bring people back to life after hours even as long as the brain is kept cooled down. So now when someone in my life dies I am going to be freaking out about getting their head on ice and to someone who knows how to do what this doctor is doing. Something about knowing there is a place in this world that knows how to do that is going to really make me upset if there is a situation where someone I love has a heart attack or something recoverable from and that we don't live near that place. And in Japan and some other Asian countries they hook up a dead person to a machine that oxygenates, cools and circulates their blood so that the doctors can work to try to repair what caused death in the first place. It was all just too weird and disturbing and full of questions for me. He did talk about the commonality of experience in people who die and come back to life and that they are collecting that information. He mentioned that sometimes if you talk to a person right after they come back to life, they will tell you in detail about things that were going on in a room away from the body of the person. Things that are verifiable and true. Weird. And that the person might tell you these things right after being revived, but then a couple of days later they won't remember in the same way that you don't remember a dream later. Anyway, I would recommend the interview in that it is interesting but it is also creepy and the moving line between death and life is disturbing. I just wish I didn't know that there was such a big window between the heart not beating and actual brain death.

I am also having some stressful decision-making to do about school for JoJo next year. You don't have to read the novel I just wrote about it below - just tell me how important you think a bilingual education is! Our home school (public) is adorable and great and everyone who goes there loves it. There is one dual-language kindergarten where they have Spanish speaking kids paired up with English speaking kids and they teach everything in both languages. The teacher is our neighbor down the street and I would just love to get her into that class, but it is a lottery that is decided in the district offices downtown. But then I heard recently that it is in fact decided by the principal at the school. And that two of the three people I know who got into that class wrote letters to the principal and the teacher saying how important it was, etc. There is also a dual-language school not too far away where the whole school is like that and so J would be guaranteed to get into a dual-language class. It was cute and the principal is nice and I was so excited for her to go there when we toured. I applied and will find out sometime in the next couple of months if we get in there (also a lottery). There are several problems with the dual-language school: The school itself doesn't have a great rating on Great Schools (less that school 1) so am I sacrificing the rest of J's education so that she learns how to speak Spanish? School 2 only goes to 5th grade so she would be going to 6th grade at middle school which I don't want (but then I have talked to a few people who say that their kids took that option even in schools that go to 6th grade). Anyway, I should probably just relax about it and wait to see what lotteries we win and then make a decision.
    Last edited by girlwonder; 02-22-2013 at 10:48 AM.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

I keep trying to edit to put in paragraphs, but it's only letting me have three when I need four for my extra long post! Sorry. Never mind - I fixed it.
    Last edited by girlwonder; 02-22-2013 at 10:48 AM.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Wow Bridget! The only silver lining I can find is that the neighbors didn't call and turn you in for attempting to break in.

Last night, I went to bed with one bowl that was soaking in the sink. This morning, there are 4 more, one plate, two spoons, one small saucepan, and a strainer. All this is from DH making Mira her breakfast. ONE breakfast. That did not involve any actual cooking.

Katy,
    DH listened to that too and told me all about it last night right before I went to sleep. It is so cool, the medical advances we are making now... but some of it did creep me out. I don't like the idea that the brain is still "alive" for hours after a person dies. I yelled at dh, "I DON'T WANT TO KNOW THINGS AFTER I'M DEAD!!!" What a creepy thought. He reassured me that "they" say it's a very euphoric feeling and not scary, but still. bleck. DH said he told me all of it so that if he ever has a heart attack, I will know to stick a bag of frozen peas on his head to keep his brain cool while he's getting cpr.
    It truly is amazing what they can do now, though. A family friend, a man in his late 60s, had a massive heart attack a few weeks ago. His heart stopped, but there were EMTs present who gave him cpr until he got to the hospital. His heart stopped three more times, and he ended up having an emergency quintuple bypass. A week and a half later, he was home from the hospital, and is recovering well. He 'died' four times! And was home a week later! What the heck???

Regarding the school situation... hm. For me, I don't think I'd make a school decision based just on a language immersion program. We live in Cali, so I know Spanish is a very good thing for a person to know, but I'm just not sure I'd turn everything around just for that. But then, we have never done an immersion program, and aren't bilingual at home, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. The school does sound great.

Do you ever put in a bunch of messages to people, and it seems like no one is getting back to you, and you start to wonder if you actually exist?

I sent unrelated messages to my doctor, I's doctor, my mother, and a friend this morning and I've got radio silence in response. Is this thing on?

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Do you ever put in a bunch of messages to people, and it seems like no one is getting back to you, and you start to wonder if you actually exist?

I sent unrelated messages to my doctor, I's doctor, my mother, and a friend this morning and I've got radio silence in response. Is this thing on?
    I feel like the right thing to do here would be for all of us to take a secular break and leave you hanging, but me and my big mouth, can't help myself.

Katy so there are some schools in the district that start middle school at 6th and some at 7th? I don't know if I would think about that too much at an early age as that can change. My hometown was 7, 8 and 9 for junior high. It's now 6,7, and 8 for junior high and 9th if finally located at the high schools. So some kids started K thinking that it would be K-6 but ended up for them being K-5. I think for me, it would be a big deal to get the dual-language program. i don't know much about how they do school ratings but really believe that a child gets the best education when the parent is involved. So as long as the school isn't awful or unsafe or something, I don't know that I really would look into the ratings so much. I really wish that I could speak Spanish and it is truly so much easier to learn when younger. I didn't start French until 8th grade and had about 5.5 years of it.....I could probably get by ok if I did a vacation in France and my reading was always much better than my spoken. On the flip side, I have a woman that I consider my sister but not related. She is French and started the first language in grade school...her choice was English. Her grasp of English and fluency is so much better than mine....thankfully or we would have a hard time communicating and wouldn't have gotten so close. We don't even have much of a spanish speaking population where I live now and I would still love to have my child start a language asap. I just think that sets up your future and job options so much more than a slightly better scoring grade school.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

suja! Hahahahah!!! I was thinking the same thing. tee hee

Pepperlu - I have heard a couple of stories about after death experiences that made me feel a little better about death. That they were seeing what was going on down there with their body but had no emotional reaction to it (one story had a guy seeing himself screaming and writhing in pain after a wreck) and didn't feel the pain or worry too much about it beyond a mild interest. And that they really did not want to come back - that they felt happy and complete and welcomed where they were. I just think about that when I hear terrible stories of people dying and it makes me feel a little better - that at least they were released from that pain/terror/whatever into this wonderfully compassionate and welcoming feeling. Who knows - most of the time I think it is simply a coping mechanism your brain comes up with to deal with things but whatever it takes I guess.

LOL Suja! Medicine is interesting. It does change so much....our knowledge and and research. When I first started, anything 1998 and above was current. Today, I will not buy a book that is older than 2010. Journal articles, I almost always search 2007 and up and only go back further if my patron is looking for something historical or I just cannot find anything newer. My boss was just telling us about some research he was reading that talked about within 10 years, they should be able to PRINT you new skin. Just culture a few of your own cells and from that, print skin. How cool is that? A burn, a graft needed and you could use your own skin. They had a little 2 year about 10 years ago at my hospital that died and came back. He was outside for 3.5 hours in jammies in subzero weather. His heart was stopped for 2 hours and had no brain activity. No pulse, no respiration, and no neurological activity. It has something to do with he was breathing while getting cold and his organs had gotten enough oxygen. They were able to warm him slowly with fluids until a certain body temp and than a bypass machine to warm the blood more safely and quickly. Only his left hand today shows minor damage from the whole thing. The whole thing is just amazing but they did say that certain conditions need to apply to the whole freezing/dead/coming back. And in his case, being so young was part of it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I feel like the right thing to do here would be for all of us to take a secular break and leave you hanging, but me and my big mouth, can't help myself.
    That would have been so, so awesome.

Jennifer - yes, some schools stop at 5th grade and some go on to 6th grade. maybe a size/space issue. And then some kids who are in the schools that go to 6th can opt in to middle school for 6th anyway, which is what I have heard from almost everyone I have talked to, that their kids are chomping at the bit to get into middle school. And then there are the gifted and talented programs that start in 6th grade that you have to audition for. but ugh - I am really worried about her being around 8th grade boys with sex on the brain. One thing I have been thinking about it sending her to the dual-language school and then pulling her out for 4th grade to 6th grade so that she has a couple of years to make friends before she goes to junior high. I went to a junior high where I didn't know anyone and everyone else had their already established cliques from elementary and I had a terrible experience.

There are lots of stories like that out there, mostly involving the cold (being out in cold weather, falling into cold water, etc.). My dad had his heart stop a couple of times, for a few minutes each time (thankfully, he was at the CCU when it happened), and I asked him if he saw a bright light or angels or heard a harp playing or something. He said that he just has a time gap in his memory, that's all. Dad is completely lacking in imagination.

I think school ratings can be misleading. A school that ranks high may just be teaching to the test. I would also lean towards a bilingual program myself. But just the fact that you are putting so much thought into it makes me know she is going to be just fine no matter how the cards fall. I really want to find someone to teach mine a second language and have been putting out ads but getting no response. I'm leaning towars German since that is where dbf's family come from.