Page 1291 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 29179111911241128112891290129112921293130113411391 ... LastLast
Results 38,701 to 38,730 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Holy $hit, did you guys see this (BAD NEWS LINK)? http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1 Oscar's story had been so inspirational!

They've been talking about it on the news nonstop here, Suja. What a terrible thing to happen. Guns are such evil tools. South Africa is known for its crime rate, isn't it?

Yeah I am not a dog novice and didn't do proper intro's with my dogs and my sisters....it just did not occur to me. He was fine with my parents dogs so didn't think about it. He is fine with the cat...he will go over to the cat and ask for the cat to groom his face. LOL And mine are not dog agressive....they like most of the neighborhood dogs just fine. But yeah Cosmo and him did NOT like each other and Molly was scared of him as he is big. They did better are my parents house (first intro was at his new house...bad idea). I would try to get them together more but it's not necessary. We sleep at my parents when we visit and they can babysit him when she comes up by me. I could not handle a dog that was aggressive or have the skills to train it out. And I avoid bringing home dogs that have a propensity for aggression as a part of the breed. .................................................. .New paragraph. I did puppy classes with Molly a year ago. But I am kind of thinking of doing another with her. A mommy and me kind of class....well they call it date night with your dog. She listens pretty well but I think could be better with me. She is better with DH. Sit and stay are pretty good. Come is good except if she starts sniffing something more interesting. Leash skills are awful and that is our fault as we haven't done much. And barking is bad. She doesn't bark in the house but outside OMG. Cars, people getting mail like 7 houses down...anything. When traveling and we stop at rest stop or for gas, I potty the girls. Cosmo is fine. Molly is so busy barking at anything that moves that she often will not go and than has an accident in her kennel. Molly is a little on the stubborn side and not quite as easy to train as Cosmo was. Just waiting until weather is better because I will not drive across town in the dark in the snow. And we are on vacation in May so don't want to sign up for one that goes during that.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I heard about that on the radio but honestly, that was the first I'd ever heard of him.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Oh jeez. That is awful. I wonder if he did it?

I took Sawyer to his one year check up. They are, as I figured they would be, concerned about his tiny frame. He's gotten taller and his head is growing, but he's not gaining weight. It's like Kai all over again. Difference being that Kai was a really fussy, sort of sickly (rsv that dragged on forever) baby and Sawyer is a healthy little dude. Anyway, they had to do a blood draw and it was soooo awful. He cried while saying "Mommy owie" the whole time they were digging around his arm for a vein and then they switched to his hand. Him and I were both sobbing. They wouldn't let me nurse him during, which I thought would have made things so much easier but they said they couldn't.

Yikes Bridget! I'm sorry it was so hard on both of you.

Aww, Bridget. That's ridiculous they wouldn't let you nurse him. Poor baby. I hope the blood test shows he's completely fine and healthy.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Oh, Bridget, that's awful about the blood draw! I hope there's nothing wrong with Sawyer. As you know, my Cash is a skinny little thang as well but no one here has ever been concerned about his.weight.

Rich came home with a new pair of jeans that he bought today. Do you know how much he paid for them? $120! Omg. I think the most expensive jeans I've ever bought were $60. Yikes.

AAAACK! Now I couldn't even imagine but I did buy dbf a pair of True Religion jeans for xmas one year and they were SO expensive. But i used to make around $300 every cocktail shift I worked so if I made a buy like that I would just pick up an extra shift and call it a draw. Never in a million years would I buy myself something like that and now that I have kids I wish I could get that money back! lol

I guess our pedi just wants to rule out anything that could be causing him malabsorbtion? Is that the right word? So he's testing for any metabolic disorders. I asked if his gut instinct was that something was wrong and he said no but that he'd hate to ignore it and have it be something. i can respect that.

Expensive jeans! Mine just likes a certain style of wranglers....easy enough to buy! My last pair was I think 70-80...but I had to take them in and get tailored as well...they were several inches too long. Weird as I'm average height and they were average height jeans. But they fit the butt and I'm hard to fit there. I generally only have two pairs of jeans at a given time....I cannot wear jeans to work so most of my pants are work pants. And once I get home, I change into yoga pants for around the house. I wonder if this computer will let me make paragraphs.I think taking blood and just double checking things was a good idea too.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I like my jeans used and already broken in. Preferably with a pregnancy waistband. LOL.

Bridge, I'm so sorry they wouldn't let you nurse Sawyer during the blood draw. I don't understand why, the poor thing! Bodhi got some vax shots yesterday too when DH took him for his 4 yr. They were actually more for Nicaragua than for his standard vax schedule. Steve said B cried for 30 minutes afterwards. He was also fussy and needy much of last night. I wish they could do these things without needles nowadays. Like, what about that puff of air thing? Does it not penetrate deep enough to administer a childs' vax?

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Poor Sawyer. Are they testing for iron/anemia and lead levels? When C & R got their blood drawn at their one-year check up, they each went in separately with me, while my mom waited with the other one in the waiting room. R. went in first and they couldn't find the vein the first time or two. R. started crying, and C. was out in the waiting room and started crying in sympathy when she heard him. ~ I have not had time to read everything in the past few days, and have just skimmed here and there, but I did catch the 23andMe reference. I have had some patients get that done. It's still too pricey for me, when they're probably going to have much better technology available for the consumer within the next decade at a reasonable price, but the diseases the patients had were reflected accurately with their results. It was tempting. ~ R ran away after school again today and hid from me. I just took all of his Legos and put them out in the storage area, including the big spaceships and boats and other crafts he'd put together. GRRRRRRR!

I think my most expenive pair was also around 60 bucks. Usually, I buy Calvin Kleins at Costco for 25 or so. But, I may have to look at other options, because I'm a smaller size than they tend to carry. My firtst instinct is to try Ann Taylor, as they have smaller sizes in petite.

Sorry about the blood draw, Bridget. I've had people dig around to get a vein, and it is AWFUL!
    Last edited by Suja; 02-15-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Savana was crying when I came back to the waiting room. She'd been out there waiting with dbf and Kai and could hear him crying. Dbf said he had to stop her from going back because she was so upset they were hurting Sawyer. %2
    Last edited by Bridget; 02-15-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Ah, most of my post disappeared!

Hmmm. Oh, I also said I don't pay more than $10 for jeans and they come from goodwill. I love a good worn pair myself.

And vax appts are very stressful. One of the biggest negatives of delaying and stretching out the vax's.

L, i am so sorry R ran off again.

Oh, Bridget, poor Sawyer!! I just want to cry... Can't believe they did all that to him and wouldn't let him nurse... Hope everything comes back showing how perfect he is!

Man, expensive jeans... I don't buy anything expensive, and buy very little new. I am so stingy!

L, sorry about R... I guess just holding his hand isn't an option...

I need to brag! Maiya is so awesome. We got a new toilet lid today, with a built in "Maiya seat", as she calls it (so it is now "a whole family toilet!"), and she loves it. Today, she was outside playing, I was inside doing dishes. She said "oh Momma, I need to poop!" Ran inside, and before I could wash my hands, said "I'm all done!" <faint> And, by the way, she really did poop.

Now, admittedly, she was completely naked so didn't have to deal with the hard part of taking her clothes off, but still. How awesome is that??

And another brag... She's doing so great in the pool! She's regularly jumping up and down in the water, can be lightly splashed by the other kids and not hardly react, is climbing in and out of the edge of the pool, is almost constantly putting her chin in the water, and even got her mouth under a little today. She's picking up new skills and tricks to practice every time we go. If she keeps this up, we might really have a great time at Hawaii!
    Last edited by Krystal5; 02-16-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Myles, I honestly want to know if you buy maternity jeans because I've thought of that before but I didn't know if they'd actually work for someone who's not pregnant (but appears to be, lol)Jeans are so uncomfortable for me. Between my tubby middle and the curve in my back, they just never fit me right. But I remember maternity jeans were oh so comfortable!

I.HATE.MY.BODY.

And something hates me. I swear I'm cursed. Doomed to never have a second child.

First, I was forced to skip my IUI because my period started on Christmas Day and everyone at the RE's office was on vacation. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Then, the next cycle, my period started Saturday, January 19th. The Saturday of a 3 day weekend (Martin Luther King Day, if I remember right). Which made CD 3, the day I NEEDED to have an U/S and start my meds, a holiday. Because of the stupid holiday, I was not allowed to start my meds until CD 5. But, by some painful, ironic twist of fate, the "meds" weren't Letrozole like I'd hoped, but instead birth control. Because EVERYONE who wants a kid should be on BC, right??

FINALLY I finished my BC, and was waiting anxiously for my period to start so I could call and start my next cycle and HOPEFULLY get that IUI I so desperately need if I'm to ever have a second kid. I expected my period to start on Tuesday. Again, quite the coincidence... Instead of starting on Tuesday, my period started TODAY. THE SATURDAY OF A THREE DAY WEEKEND.

Once again, history repeats itself. I will not be allowed to get an U/S or start my meds until Tuesday, CD 4, at the EARLIEST. And that's only if they can squeeze me in. Good chance it won't be until CD 5. Which is probably too late.

I AM SO FRUSTRATED. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY??????? THREE CYCLES IN A ROW I've been screwed over by freakin' holidays. I used to LIKE holidays, but I don't even work anymore. Now all they do is ruin EVERYTHING!!!!!

I mean, yeah, sure, there's still a chance that IF they get me in on Tues, my cysts MIGHT be gone, and if they are, it MIGHT not be too late to medicate... But that would be awful lucky, and somehow, I'm just not feeling that lucky right now.

So, please excuse me while my PMSing self goes and curls up in a corner and cries myself a pity party...

<headbang>

Sorry for the vent... I'm just getting SO frustrated with this. I hate STC... Why can't I get pregnant just with sex?? Why do I need REs and U/Ss and meds and injections and all the timing to line up perfectly???

I'm so sorry. I'm sure the wait is excruciatingly frustrating. I don't blame you for wanting to just let it all out.

Janet, I have been there and I can relate. One cycle the pharmacy gave me THE WRONG DRUG and I couldn't get the right one until CD4. The meds did work that time around, even though the cycle was a bust.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Janet, I'm so sorry. I can only imagine how frustrated you must be. Vent away!

Re pregnancy jeans: I confess (this is the place for it, right?)! I love maternity pants. Not the old-fashioned ones with the band that goes all the way over the belly... the newer, lower-cut ones with the nice stretchy waistband. I don't wear the jeans, but I have a couple of pairs of khaki pants with that kind of waistband (and yes, they were from the maternity section) and I don't care that I am 3 years out and will never be pregnant again, I won't give them up. They stay on, they don't bind, and they are sooo comfy. The ones I have are kind of like this: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=545330012 except that they have a little drawstring in the front so they look more like drawstring pants than maternity, and they have pockets in the front and back.

About expensive jeans ... I buy them. Almost everything else I buy is either thrifted, homemade or on sale, but I don't skimp on jeans. I just find that the pairs I've bought that are less expensive don't fit right, aren't as comfy and I don't want to wear them as much. So I buy just a couple of pairs of expensive jeans, wear the heck out of them (really get my money's worth, I think), and call it good because I don't spend so much on other stuff. Also, most of the expensive jeans I buy I get on a really good sale... I never pay full price.
    The other thing I will spend a decent amount of money on is shoes. I've found now that I'm getting older that better-quality shoes keep my feet from hurting, and they last a lot longer. So I just make sure that I only buy a couple pair per year, and I keep them forever.

My daughter is wandering the streets of San Francisco right now. It's full dark, and she's not answering her phone.
    That probably sounds worse than it is, but I'm getting nervous. I let her go with a friend (a female friend from school) today to have a public transit adventure to the Academy of Sciences. I have a tendency to be an overprotective worrier, but I've been trying to gradually give her some chances to spread her wings. She's been learning how to take the bus from Marin into the city. Until today, dh has always met her on the other end. But this morning, she and her friend planned out their trip. I made sure they had the routes right, knew where they were going, had a map, plenty of cash and she had her phone (fully charged). They got there fine, had a fun day at the museum (texted me pics), ate lunch at a cafe, and soaked up the sun in Golden Gate park.
    But then when they went to grab their first bus home, it was so packed they weren't allowed on. They missed their connecting bus, and she called me for alternatives. I told her she could catch another every half hour, told her where she needed to go to catch it. I haven't heard from them since. I called her twice and she didn't pick up her phone. Didn't answer a text. Meanwhile, it got dark (they were supposed to catch their bus before dark, but the full one messed up that plan). Now I don't know where she is. She'd better call soon, because I have to pick them up at the transit center. Also, because it's not nice to freak out your mom. She's going to get a lecture about answering her phone, too (it's not super uncommon for her to get caught up in what she's doing and forget to answer, but at a time like this it's a punishable offense).

I do that more with shoes than I ever did before. Until I was 28 and started gaining some weight, I had a hard time finding inexpensive jeans that fit me. I'm 5'8" and wore a 3 or 4 till then. Now I wear a 5 or 6 and find it easier to get jeans for $30 or less that actually fits me.

Oh id be freaked too...or getting ready to freak. I hope you hear from her soon.

Update: She's fine.
    She used up a lot of her phone battery accessing maps and bus schedules so they could figure out how to catch the other bus. So her phone was getting really low, and she did the right thing by turning it off so she could call me when they were on their way. I just had to remind her that she should send me a text to let me know it's dying so I don't start thinking that maybe it's off because she's in the car trunk of a serial killer.
    They found their way, caught a bus and arrived safely. Good job her... another few gray hairs for me.

Whew-I'm glad to hear it. And I'm glad you updated.

A couple years ago, my then 15 (or was she 16? Gosh, I can't remember!) disappeared for nearly 24 hours. Everyone on here stayed up with me and posted at all hours. I couldn't have managed to keep my shred of sanity without this thread. Even others that don't normally post here specifically came in to offer support. It meant a lot to me. So much so, I still feel a swell of love when I think of it.

I hope we never have to go through that again for any other mama.

I remember that, Chrissy. I was so terrified for you. It was one of the few times I shared with dbf what was going on in here.

I'm so glad N is safe. I read your post and got a littel worked up for you!

I'm so proud of Savana. She has always had a really hard time with self control and not being able to stop herself from getting really, really angry when one of her brothers messes with her stuff, or sits to close to her on the couch, or touches her after eating butter popcorn (lol, really. She is petrified by their dirty hands!) But she's been doing really well redirecting Sawyer out of her room without making him cry, and keeping her pokey little hands off Kai. But today was rough. She chased Kai out of the living room several times. She's not a hitter but a pincher and a poker and Kai will run from that. Anyway, she came to me this evening in tears and said she was trying really hard not to get angry with her brothers but that she could feel herself running out of patience and wanting to hurt them when they won't listen. She said she know she can't and she knows it's wrong to hurt but can she can jsut feel it growing inside her.
    Is it just me or is that incredibly mature of her? Maybe it's just because she has come so far from the days when she used to wash her hands raw and use a towel to open her bedroom door. She's so in touch with her feelings now and really gaining self control. We talked about how she should get up and go in her room right when she gets that feeling, or come and find me.

Awww...that really is very mature of her. She's an amazing child, and sure to be one of the best adults. Tell her it's ok to feel angry-we all do sometimes-but it's how we deal with that anger that determines our character. I think it's important for everyone to accept that despite our best intentions, sometimes we will feel anger and that's ok. It doesn't mean we don't love those we're angry with. And learning how to manage anger is really a process for everyone. In fact, I think I'm still working on that myself. She probably has a better grasp on hers than I do on mine at 37. What I wouldn't have given to have had the opportunity to pinch those at CIT that kept telling us it was our fault our calendars weren't working.

Oh yes, I do tell her it's ok to be angry absolutely. It's all in how we handle that anger. And she knows that I have had my times where my anger has made me yell at them and I am very quick to apolgize to my kids for that and tell them how i am going to handle it better next time. I will also say right out that I have to walk away for a few minutes because I am feeling angry. Unfortunately they usually follow me, very dramatically apolgizing. Goofs.
    Kai is such a trip. Lately he has been asking me how a loafer can make money. I don't even know where he heard that word! Anyway, I told him if a loafer is one who lays around and does nothing that it would be very hard to make money. He tells me he's going to figure out a way. Then with Savana telling me that she is not going to have a job like normal people. That she is going to live in the woods and live off the land and take care of the forest creatures. I asked dbf for all my endeavors of inspiring them to greatness, it sure sounds like my son is aspiring to be a drug dealer and my daughter is aspiring to be homeless! Ha!

I think that's very mature of her Bridget; a lot of adults can't control themselves when they feel themselves getting angry so that is wonderful of her.pepperlu-I'm glad your daughter is home safe and that she was smart keeping her phone working even if you lost a couple years of your life in the meantime. And thanks for the advice on maternity pants