Page 1290 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 290 790 1190 1240 128012881289129012911292 1300 1340 1390 ... LastLast
Results 38,671 to 38,700 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by missychrissy View Post
    Mandy, that is so frustrating! Are they all such sheep that the second someone does something just a wee bit different, their world is in turmoil?
    Oh, hell yes! People are sheeple!

Chrissy, it must be satisfying for you to be right, although now you've got to figure a way out of the giant mess too.

Bridget, no surprise that these folks want to return. Me, I would've never left. Most of the homeschoolers I know in RL have no business teaching anything, but you, I have a great deal of respect for your approach to education.

DH and Niece are back from the college tour. Today is my turn to sit in with her a little bit during the camput tour at our local university. DH came back with new insight into how college admissions work, and I feel really bad for Mira and the nephews, because I think he's going to start experimenting on them.

Can I ask what does RL stand for?

I want to know before I properly congratulate Bridget.

Mandy, that must have been so frustrating. I hope it's resolved by now. Yes, people get stuck in their ways so that when the time comes for a valid change and they missed it because they were on autopilot, you get flamed for it. Not cool.

Chrissy, I'm happy for you and your work victory. That moment when you walked out of the room pissed off sounded intense. Let's hope things stay on the good track for you today and from now on.

I want to gripe about my job today too, but I have a feeling it'd just make me more frustrated. Needless to say, communication is poor around here, and all our talk about inconsiderate people is making me notice just how many of them there are in management.

L, the name of this product reminded me of you.

http://bit.ly/ViP1jJ

"A little bit of spit is all it takes..." LOL.

Inconsiderate people have an accelerated path to management. Or, that's the impression I get.That moment was intense, but I love a problem and I love resolving it. Maybe a bit of me loves that drama as long as I'm on the winning side. At work, I generally am.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Speaking of work, I don't know if I mentioned it but the bus monitor job I had to leave because of escalating health problems called me back and asked me to be a substitute monitor. I thought fine, I might get called in every once in a while when the monitor is sick, and I can still say no if I don't feel well that day. Turns out I had to replace someone for about 2 weeks because one of the drivers is out caring for her ailing husband so they had to shuffle people around (most people have the driving license and can also monitor, but I can only be a monitor)So I did that for like 2 weeks and then DH told me they changed his shift at work. He's leaving earlier now, so I can't work mornings anymore because I have to be home to get Josh on the bus. I'm kind of relieved anyway, since I was still having a lot of anxiety about the work. The job wasn't enough money to really matter much anyway.

It's so hard to catch up around here now. It's been a rainy and miserable day around here. Remind me never to attend a child's birthday party during cold & flu season. Last weekend we all went to G's friend's b-day party, and a little brother was walking all over the place, hacking up a lung. I cringed, but what are ya supposed to do? Oh sick kid here, we're leaving. So I dosed us all up with elderberry thinking we would avoid it. Nope. We all have the crud. Snuffy noses, sore throats and coughs. My job is to literally talk on the phone all day long. So yesterday I came home with no voice left at all. I was whispering, Gilly frowned, Mommy why aren't you talking?!?! Today I could barely talk, so I helped out in medical records, until the computers started acting up. Bridget, you don't want Florida it's hot, humid, and pretty conservative most places. Although the weather in winter is nice. I see you in Oregon. My Aunt lived in Ashland. I loved it there. I almost moved there. A cute little college town, very hippy, and they have a Shakespeare festival every year. Happy Birthday to big boy Ky!
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

For my ongoing story with the little girl with speech and PT ... I was in the middle of an evaluation today (actually just finishing up) and my phone rang. I don't answer when I'm with a family because, honestly, it's rude. It's like asking a teacher to stop teaching to talk on the phone, or your doctor to stop examining you and talk on the phone. Whatever it is, it can wait until my family is gone.

So I don't answer, and a few minutes later, the family leaves. As they are opening the door, the nurse (same one I mentioned in my earlier rant) comes rushing in the door, saying, "What was the name of the little girl getting speech and PT again?"

Really???? First, was this SO IMPORTANT you needed to interrupt my evaluation (which pisses me off because once a kid is distracted it can be really, really hard to get their attention again) to ask this question? And second, just really? How many times are we going to have this conversation? Move on, people!

And yes, she was the one who had called just minutes before.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 02-14-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Oh, and Chrissy - I work my butt off at work. And at home I am the laziest human alive. No kidding.

When I'm lazy, it's always when I'm at home. Unfortunately for me, I'm just now sitting down for the first time today at 8:45 p.m.

Josh had his first experience with a gift he didn't really want today. Unfortunately it was the gift I got him for Valentine's day. I went to Target in search of a Star Wars dish set he had asked if he could get a couple times. I kept saying no because I'm trying to cut down on gifts outside of special occasions. There was one left and I was so pleased. I thought he'd love it.When he opened it he immediately put it aside and asked if there was anything else for him. Aside from the card and a couple pieces of candy that was it. He burst into tears and said "You should have gotten me something better!" I was devastated. I couldn't believe he said that. I tried to explain to him that it really hurt my feelings and asked how he'd feel if a friend said that to him and he just didn't get it. I'm trying not to be hurt but I really am.

Oh Kate! I'm so sorry!

I think my hurt feelings are more stemming from feeling underappreciated which is a normal feeling to have, I mean being a mom and wife is a thankless job, right? I'm probably taking it too hard. We never really told Josh what to say if he doesn't like a gift. He can't help being honest. He also had quite the meltdown at Target earlier so I guess the two things on top of each other made it a tough afternoon and evening.It's just that he can be so sweet, it really surprises me when he's the opposite.

Aw, Kate. That's a rough moment right there. I have had that happen here with Kai more than once. It does hurt even when the rational voice is telling you it shouldn't.

(Myles, I just realized you asked...I think RL means real life, in this case )

I'm sorry, Kate. I know all of us have done similar things at Josh's age, but that doesn't make it hurt less when it happens to you.

I came in here to share this with my doggie mamas. I know you will "get it" and others will probably think I'm crazy.

There is generally nothing I hate more than commercials featuring soldiers returning from deployment, which I find just plain pandering and insulting. There is a commercial out right now for Iams dog food featuring a dog greeting her "mommy" as she returns home in uniform, which of course DH and I know from experience is a really touching moment. Of course my normal "pandering" reaction applies - but I was just watching and the commercial starts with a doggie whining sound which immediately got Gwennie's attention and she watched the whole thing, riveted. As they showed the soldier and her doggie rolling on the ground together, hugging, she looked over at me, and back at the television. Again, rapt attention, and as soon as the commercial ended and another one came on, complete disinterest.

Do NOT tell me that dog didn't understand the scene being played out on screen. She knows DH's uniform and even when he goes away for his guard weekend once a month, when that uniform goes on, she knows he is leaving and hates every minute of it, and worries until he comes home. I swear she was moved by the commecial.

Just amazing.

(I know anyone else would tell me I'm reading way too much into a dog food commercial, but really. I know my girl).

Oh wow Mandy! That is so cool. I think dogs "get it" more than most people realize. I can't seem to embed it but I saw this really cute dog video recently. I think some of you will appreciate it! (It's short and safe for work)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqR7IJSRyk4
    Last edited by daylilies; 02-14-2013 at 08:44 PM.

I'm not a doggie mama but I totally get it! What a sweet dog.
    Speaking of dogs, one of my fb friends, a girl I knew in highschool, has been posting all week about a pitbull mix puppy she was adopting from the humane society. This morning she posts that when she brought the dog home it viciously attacked her roomies dog She was asking if anyone knew of a rescue shelter because she couldn't keep him but couldn't bear the burden of bringing him back to likely be put down. It sounded bad. She said that both her and her friend were injured breaking up the fight. I thought the humane society did all the socializing with dogs and let you know if they could be homed with others and were required to meet all pets before adopting? Either way, what an awful situation.

Can't they bring him back to the humane society? I'd think any place you're adopting a pet from should let you know if they are good with other animals, small children, etc.Oh..you said he'd probably be put down if they brought him back? That's sad Maybe they can find ways to slowly socialize him with their dog? We had to do that with Bo and the cats.
    Last edited by daylilies; 02-14-2013 at 08:56 PM.

That's so sad, Bridget. But I never trust what I am told about a dog until I see the dogs personally. I've had Gwennie for close to 10 years, and she can still behave unpredictably. It's always a risk introducing two grown dogs.

She is right, though, the dog likely will be put down.

Which reminds me, Bridget, I had a question for you. Before Christmas, my sister adopted two cats from the Humane Society only to find out they had - what did you guys have earlier this year, was it ringworm? Scabies? - I can't remember, but either way, it was the same critter. This is what gets me: her vet told her that because she had children she should get rid of the cats because kids can't be trusted to stay away from the cats to prevent the spread of the infection and might roll around on the floor with them before the critters were gone. If she had young kids I would totally agree - but her kids are 18 and 13!!! B is an adult! They are responsible kids and understand disease transmission. But my sister is a complete and total germophobe (to the point where I actually wonder if she is making it up that the vet told her the cats couldn't be around her kids). Anyway, she returned them to the Humane Society and we are pretty much certain those cats were put down. Sooooo sad.

My sister of course is now really sad she doesn't have the cats and was asking how long it took to be sure the buggy life cycle was broken and she could adopt another cat. I told her I'd ask you, Bridget, because I know you've done your research. But part of me doesn't want her to go get another cat and find another excuse to have it put down, if you know what I mean. I think it was irresponsible of her not to deal with a treatable problem and save the kitties' lives.

Sorry, /rant. But if you want to chime in, please do.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 02-14-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Kate, I saw that video on FB earlier - did you post it, or was it someone else? - and thought it was hilarious. Gwennie SOOO does that. Too funny about the other dogs!

It was scabies and it's my understanding that the scabies animals get is totally different and called mange(?) and that one cannot be transmitted from pet to human or vice versa. Was it a parasite? That is something I am actually really paranoid about because our cats go outside and kill small rodents. I've read a few studies linking some mental disorders with untreated parasites. It's part of why I'm now putting dichatomous earth in our smoothies now. Ringworm is fungal and easily treated.

I saw a few people respond to her post about her being able to train the dog and slowly socialize it but she is adamant that she can't keep it. She said it was brutal. I did see one friend post that she would call her about a woman she knows that does rescue for pitbulls so I hope to read next that she was able to save the dog. People that rescue dogs are just saints in my book. I once had an ex that left me with a very untrained pit/boxer mix. I could not keep him. I worked two jobs at the time and was going to move to Hawaii the following year. But i've never brought a pet to the humane society and just couldn't. I contacted a woman I found in the yellow pages that rescued exactly that mix. She was a wonderfully gently soul. I'll never forget her. My freaking ex was mad at me when he found out. Grrrr.
    Last edited by Bridget; 02-14-2013 at 09:58 PM.

That kind of confirms my suspicion that she made it up completely that the doctor told her she had to get rid of them. Either that or I am confusing it with something else totally - it was a month or so ago I talked to her about it - but I remember thinking when she told me "That's what Bridget had to deal with!"

Seriously, my sister is the biggest germophobe on the planet. Her husband told my dad she uses a huge, Costco-size container of soap every.week, and she makes her children shower as soon as they come home from school every day so they don't bring home any germs with them. So I do suspect she freaked out and is blaming the doctor. That seems more likely to me than the vet considering an 18 year old a child who can't be trusted around animals.

I don't blame her for freaking out about the parasites, though. I would, too. I just think, once the critters were in my house and I had to treat and sterilize the whole house anyway, I wouldn't kill the cats over it. I'd treat them.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 02-14-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Oh Kate, that would break my heart! I don't even think it's JUST the lack of appreciation (though that hurts, too), but for me, at least, it would be my own disappointment, thinking he'd LOVE it, since he'd been wanting it so much, just have him be like "That's it?" He's still young, and at his age, he is just literally immature, and that makes them a bit shallow and very egocentric. It's tough... I'm sorry!

Dogs are amazingly smart! People often don't give them enough credit. But, I also hate when people humanize dogs. They understand more than we give them credit for, but not necessarily in a "human" way.

I really hate when people give up pets over some little thing... But this does not sound little. How sad... Even though the Humane Society tested him, they may have just misssed his trigger. So sad for all involved... Do you know if the other dog is ok?

That's a cute video! I had one dog, the BEST dog ever, and she was so funny. We have a huge window in the front of the house, and when we drove up, she was always there watching for us. We could just by watching her if she had gotten in to trouble while we were gone, even just from the window! Ah, I miss that girl...

Oh, and before I forget again...

Happy birthday, L!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I'm up way too late, though, and have to go to bed. I'm driving a van-load of kids on a school field trip tomorrow. I'll try to check in more soon. This no paragraph thing is killing me. I came home to what looked like a valentine bomb had exploded in our house.

Mandy, that's sweet about your doggie. I bet she did 'get it' and was also moved by it. Dogs feel emotions too.I have no comment about the sister having her cats put down because of a treatable parasite. That's just sickening to me.

Krystal, that's exactly it. It was wanting him to be happy on Valentine's day plus since I was feeling good about the present, I wanted him to be like "Oh thank you mummy, it's just what I wanted!" LOL * There was such a buildup to the presents too. We were going to do it in the morning but we didn't have time, so he anticipated it all day (and so did I) only for it to turn out like that *Happy birthday L!
    Last edited by daylilies; 02-15-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Mandy I absolutely believe that Gwennie understood that! A few years ago there as a commerical with a dog running and it looked like the dog was going to get hit by a car (but didn't). And every single time Jax saw that he jumped back. I admit it, I humanize my dog. But only one of them. We call Cosmo a person in a furry suit. Even other people in our family who know her are like, she's not really like a dog. Cosmo is just so smart and intuitive. She is very much a princess....except when it comes to football....my girl loves her football. LOL We didn't even have to do barely any training for her. Molly is a dog. I love her too but she isn't as smart as Cosmo, took some actual training (and I think I might do another class with her in the spring/summer), and just acts like a dog. Kate that video was too funny and cute! I hadn't seen that one before. Bridget, can't you take the cats in and get tested for parasites if worried? I know Molly came home with them...she had one called coccidia. We found out early because of testing...she didn't have symptoms. I wasn't worried about us but was worried about Cosmo. So we treated Molly and had both girls tested and it was fine. I don't know if cats are different but we have the girls tested yearly with a simple bringing in a sample. And they are both treated monthly for heartworm....I think heartguard has doggie crack in it the way they go nuts for it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Happy Birthday, L!

Kate, I'm so sorry Josh was unappreciative. Kids are so 'me centered', and don't have filters, so the results can be quite bad.

Mange can in fact be spread from animal to human, or human to animal, but it depends on which kind. Sarcoptic mange (scabies in humans) is contagious, but demodex is not. I'm sorry your sister couldn't see past her germ phobia to the consequences of returning those cats, Mandy. It is certainly very easy to treat.

Bridget, it may have been for the best that your friend decided to not keep the pup. Dog aggression is a VERY common trait among certain breeds, Pit bulls included, and it sounds to me like she did not know how to make proper introductions. I have returned a dog myself for dog aggression (after proper introductions; she temperament tested fine with other dogs, and after she tried to eat Khan, she was placed with another dog, seemed to get along just fine, and the owner came home one day to find his existing dog in very bad shape; she went on to live with a family with no dogs and no dogs in their extended circle), and dealing with it is not for the faint of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Kate, I saw that video on FB earlier - did you post it, or was it someone else? - and thought it was hilarious. Gwennie SOOO does that. Too funny about the other dogs!
    I didn't post it, but I think I found it on facebook, too. I think it's become pretty popular.