Page 1287 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 28778711871237127712851286128712881289129713371387 ... LastLast
Results 38,581 to 38,610 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

I think I was doing paragraphs from my work PC, also using chrome. I've also discovered I can't multiquote on this thing either. The click does nothing. Limp-click. :/ -----------------------------------------------------You're right, the leash is a bad idea.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Multi quote doesn't work, either.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

That's weird, because I know whichever computer/browser I used when it came back up, multi-quote was the only way I could even post. The Quick Reply box or Go Advanced buttons didn't even show till I quoted Jennifer and posted my initial response. I'm going to blame 'them' and say it's not a PICNIC this time.

Katy, congratulations on the house show! That's fantastic. Your eggs are so gorgeous. I'm not surprised you're getting such attention. I hope it pays off well for you and brings you more opportunities!

L, on thinking about it I do see how it is likely an impulse control issue, and definitely if that's the case, continuing to talk and discipline might just create a bigger deal and more negative feelings for all of you. I know that when I took I to a neuropsychologist at age 6 and learned that her tantrums and nightmares/terrors and separation anxiety were neurological in nature -- not just her being naughty, or spoiled, or some of the other things people suggested to me -- it really helped me to feel less frustrated. I saw that I just had to treat things like outings and going to school differently, to control more and not expect her to be able to manage on her own. I do think removing that strife from our relationship helped, but in the end it really was just a matter of her growing into her more emotionally-mature brain. I'm not in any way suggesting R needs medical intervention -- it's a completely different situation, and his behavior seems perfectly normal for his age, albeit frustrating for you. I just mention it because I remember that it was a big comfort for me in dealing with some very big challenges to realize that they weren't something she could change (and I couldn't change them by improving my parenting techniques, either). I had to look at it more like a ... transient disability, and make adjustments accordingly.

By the way, it looks like I can still make paragraphs. I use Firefox.
    Last edited by pepperlru; 02-10-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I don't know if I can do paragraphs. I'll test and see.

Paragraph 2: Trav has been an angel today compared to yesterday. I am sure his naughtiness comes from boredom. I'm going to have a brainstorm about our weekend morning routine. It's mostly during this time when dh and I are getting ready to go out and deciding what to do for the day that he is at his worst.

Paragraph 3: L, I think you've mentioned before that your kids know about death. Would it be too warped to talk to him about how dangerous running could be, like the consequences of being hit by a car? Trav only did a runner on me once and that was last year at school. I talked to him about how a car could have hit him or someone could have taken him. The more I talked to him about, the more upset I got where I got to the pointthat I was crying. That must have stuck with him because he's never doneit again.

I'm on IE now.Let's see if this 2nd paragraph works or not.3rd, this is the same computer I couldn't paragraph using Chrome.

Ok, not browser dependent.

It can't be cache related either, because I have never logged on to APA using IE. Most especially not on this computer because it's my Win8. I only used IE to download Firefox and Chrome and stuff like that. Not for any 'fun' things.

I think the developmental/impulse control theory might be the right one.

I'm on my Mac now, so we'll see if it allows a paragraph here.

I need to get ready to go to my book club. I'm too excited for this.

Um.....

It's taken me 3 days to login..... What is going on??

Just a quick hello.

The house is quiet now. The "brothers" left yesterday, and Mira was ready to go with them. We knew that at some point, probably late at night, she'll start screaming for mommy, so we couldn't let her go either. She was inconsolable, sobbing about how they left without her, how she wanted to be with her brothers, etc.

We had a repeat performance on a smaller scale, when DH left with the niece. She wanted to go to universities, "to go see the hedgehog". She's fine now, playing by herself. I'm kind of exhausted, and hoping she'll go to bed early tonight.

Posting from iPad, on Safari. Making paragraphs.
    Last edited by Suja; 02-10-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Hey Christina! Long time, no see as they say!

Daggum we had a he ll of a weekend here with Cash being sick. I have never cleaned up so much poo and puke in my life! My hands are cracked from being washed a million and one times!

Today was a little better, though. I went to my nephew's birthday party with Travis and brought back some cake. It's a typical English cake, though...looks beautiful in presentation but is dry as all hades...you'd think these people don't know what butter/lard/cooking oil is!

We went sledding today with Josh. It was the first time we'd taken him sledding anywhere and he loved it. I, on the other hand, fell on some ice as soon as we got there and then I fell off the sled with Josh on the last run down the hill. I was leaning too far one way and the sled went off balance and tipped over. We weren't hurt but Josh was shaken up. It was a good thing we had been planning to leave right after that anyway.We went to pick up my MIL to take her out to dinner and Josh noticed that her mailbox was knocked over, probably from when the plow went down her street. He said to her in the most sincere voice I have ever heard, "Meme, I'm sorry about your mailbox." It was just the cutest thing.Welcome back Christina!

Oh Ash, that sounds awful! I hope Cash is better tomorrow!Kate, Josh is such a sweetie! Glad you guys could enjoy the snow. It makes winter bearable!Kai has been an absolute bear. His attitude is downright nasty. I almost hope he is not feeling well because that will mean their is an end in sight. It is breaking my heart. My sweet boy sassing me like that.

Suja, so sorry about Mira's broken heart! What is the story with the "brothers"? Sorry I missed it.

Ashley, it may be time for gloves! So sorry you are dealing with that, no fun... Glad today was a little better, hope Cash is completely better soon! And what's with the dry birthday cake???

Kate, what fun! Poor Josh, hope he isn't too shaken up. Maiya LOVES water, but got splashed with a wave in the ocean ONCE, and has been afraid since. And that was LAST SUMMER. Hence why we're swimming so much before Hawaii! Hopefully Josh is a little more realistic than my girl. Sounds like a very fun day, though. And he is very sweet!

Bridget, sorry about Kai... I hope there's a "good" explanation, too. I was the same with Maiya when she had her bladder infection. She was so cranky and whiney and fussy, but there were NO other symptoms. I kept hoping for a "reason", and "luckily" there was one. She was better and back to her old self soon! Hope Kai is the same way.

We've had interesting PT developments here. She pooped in the toilet again (yay!), but had another pee accident. Still, I guess only 2 pee accidents in 6 days- including all our normal all day activities- isn't bad! She was even able to pee in her potty during one of our 4 hour hikes, but didn't on our 4 hour hike today, though she knew she had to pee and tried to go. Then her accident was shortly after getting home... I'm learning a lot about how she understands her body and what she's learning to do with it and what she's trying to learn to do with it- I just hope she is learning, too!
    Last edited by Krystal5; 02-10-2013 at 10:33 PM.

I think he was okay, because he asked me to take him back today! Unfortunately it's going to rain and I pulled a muscle in my shoulder this morning so there will be no sledding today. He hasn't mentioned it yet-I hope he forgets so he won't be disappointed. I was glad he wasn't too panicked, because he has a habit of remembering things like that too. He's always pulling up memories from years ago and sometimes I don't even remember what he's talking about! Bridget, sorry Kai is being like that. I have to say it's been a long time since I feel like that switch was flipped with Josh and now he's got some really sweet moments. I'm not saying you have to wait until Kai turns 6 for him to get better, but the nasty moments make the sweet moments that much better.

I'm all dug out from the snow and back at work today. We got somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35 inches. It's really hard to tell because it blew around and drifted so much. And guess what it's doing right now? Yup, snowing. again. We aren't supposed to get much today though. I'm ready for that tropical vacation!
    AKA Lisa724

Yuck! I don't remember if I already said this, but Josh has the day off and the school I work for in RI is also closed.

I don't think there are any school closings around here, most everything is back to normal. There is still a ton of clean up going on though.
    AKA Lisa724

We are on day 5 of Cash being sick, so we took him to the Dr. I knew that all they'd say was keep him hydrated.

We are supposed to be going away for a
    Night away this weekend, and I can just envision one of us being sick and not going.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    I don't think there are any school closings around here, most everything is back to normal. There is still a ton of clean up going on though.
    Y'all are made of tough stuff. If we got 3' of snow (heck, if we got one foot of snow), we'd all be curled up in a fetal position, muttering about the end being near.

I'm so sorry Ash! I hope he's better soon.A lot of the towns around here still have a lot of power outages. My town is at 22% of NSTAR customers without power but some neighboring towns are still at 60-70%.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Y'all are made of tough stuff. If we got 3' of snow (heck, if we got one foot of snow), we'd all be curled up in a fetal position, muttering about the end being near.
    LMAO. We are just so used to it. We've had plenty of years where we get 2 or more storms a week. This one did set records though, it beat the previous snow fall record for portland by like 3 inches. Today we were supposed to get less than an inch before it changed to rain. It just finally changed and we have about 4 inches.

Kate, I think you guys had worse outages for sure. Maybe it was a little warmer there so the snow was wetter and heavier? It's pretty light and fluffy here. I think CMP has said that all outages are restored in the state.
    AKA Lisa724

Lisa, I'm sorry but I'm not even sure where you live! New Hampshire? The snow here was indeed very wet and heavy.

I'm just outside Portland, ME.
    AKA Lisa724

Oh okay!

We just have a bunch of wet heavy sloppiness. Oh, and high winds.
    Perfectly delightful.

We are getting ready to head to karate and I have a lump in the pit of my stomach. I don't know if I have told you guys about a family we are friends with and the older son is just being so mean to all three of my kids, including Sawyer. I'm so confused as to why as I've been keeping a really close eye on interactions and I'm sure my kids are not being unkind. The last time we played, I heard Savana say, "What's wrong? What can I do do make you feel better?" and he said loudly, "Mama, I feel threatened." He's 8. I couldn't address it at the time since I was involved with some other kids but that along with every single time any of my kids came near him he'd roll his eyes and ask when the other families were arriving, which unfortunately they didn't. I'd have loved for my kids to have more options at that point even though this boy has been their friend for a couple of years now. Then during actual karate, where his little bro is in Kai's class and they are besties and not competitive in the least but very supportive of each other, he kept yelling out things to his little bro about how he was faster/stronger/better than Kai. Kai is already so self concious of his lack of size and strength compared to other children in his class. As upset as it makes me to see my kids being treated this way, I also do love the boy and really wonder wtheck is going on with him.

I so hope he's over whatever was bugging him but if he isn't, what would you guys do? Would you ask him (kindly of course)? Or would you speak to mom? She's there when all of this is happening.
    Last edited by Bridget; 02-11-2013 at 02:05 PM.

How close friends are you with the mom? If you felt comfortable asking her I'd just say something like"___ seemed in a bad mood the other day, is everything okay?"Why would he feel threatened by Savana asking him what's wrong?

I did tell her that H didn't seem like himself and she said he was being grouchy. It's just that he was only being grouchy to my kids and no one else. I don't know why he said that. It felt to me like he just said it to get away from her and not look like he was being rude. Her face when he said that just killed me. It's hard for me to believe he actually felt threatened by her. She can be feisty with her own brothers but in social settings she is quite introverted and does not have an assertive nature at all.
    Last edited by Bridget; 02-11-2013 at 02:17 PM.