Page 1285 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 28578511851235127512831284128512861287129513351385 ... LastLast
Results 38,521 to 38,550 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    Gotta fit your kids too!
    You're gonna need some BIG luggage.

Do people still travel with those old steamer trunks?

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

At this point what they charge for extra luggage...size, number of pieces, weight....you might as well buy an extra seat! We had to buy seats in high school for the cellos when we flew to NYC to play Carnegie Hall. The bass....we just rented those in NY. LOL My viola had to count as a carry-on.

I don't like flying though so avoid it when I can. Which is most of the time! I also don't have a passport right now so only US travel for me. I'm not adventerous and my list of countries I would travel to is a lot smaller than those I wouldn't. I would do Canada, France...well really most of Europe minus Italy because they have a scary court system and I am afraid of accidently getting accused of a crime, and maybe Australia/New Zealand. Reality is that if we ever leave the country we would almost certain go to Canada, France and England. Canada because well it's close and easy enough. France because I have family there and would be going to see her. England because they speak English and DH cannot speak a foreign language and really prefers to be around English so he can understand. Even France is a stretch for him but at least I can sort of speak it and the family we would see...she is fluent in English.
    We also talked about going to Colombia when we first looked at adoption which was way way way out of our comfort zones....but we couldn't get into the program anyway.
    The way DH sees it....there is such a vast amount of stuff to do and see in the US that he wants to do it first.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    At this point what they charge for extra luggage...size, number of pieces, weight....you might as well buy an extra seat! We had to buy seats in high school for the cellos when we flew to NYC to play Carnegie Hall. The bass....we just rented those in NY. LOL My viola had to count as a carry-on. I don't like flying though so avoid it when I can. Which is most of the time! I also don't have a passport right now so only US travel for me. I'm not adventerous and my list of countries I would travel to is a lot smaller than those I wouldn't. I would do Canada, France...well really most of Europe minus Italy because they have a scary court system and I am afraid of accidently getting accused of a crime, and maybe Australia/New Zealand. Reality is that if we ever leave the country we would almost certain go to Canada, France and England. Canada because well it's close and easy enough. France because I have family there and would be going to see her. England because they speak English and DH cannot speak a foreign language and really prefers to be around English so he can understand. Even France is a stretch for him but at least I can sort of speak it and the family we would see...she is fluent in English. We also talked about going to Colombia when we first looked at adoption which was way way way out of our comfort zones....but we couldn't get into the program anyway. The way DH sees it....there is such a vast amount of stuff to do and see in the US that he wants to do it first.
    We're back!!!! Things look weird.

Initially, I couldn't post without quoting you Jen...that was odd.

Testing, testing, 1,2,3...

Hmmm. That worked. The only thing different, I notice, is that the box I'm typing in now is highlighted a pastel green.

How's everyone's Friday going?

Jen, it's funny that you mention the English speaking English...depending on what part of the country you go to, you might think they are speaking a different language. Lol.

And hallelujah, we're back to our thread!Woot woot!

I just had a popcorn for my supper. I'm going to be starving at breakfast time! We're watching Water Boy. Dh loves Adam Sandler. His fb profile pic is currently Adam Sandler because people tell him he looks like him.

*bag of popcorn

I was briefly in London when I was 16...literally for like half a day. And tried to ask for directions....and yeah I couldn't hardly understand...something about a roundabout and up and over. I'm thinking what happened to left or right. LOL My Friday is about winding down. I was not busy this morning so was online window shopping. Got busy in the afternoon though and got a ton of work done. Going to do some errands this weekend. Going to the country bulk store...it's a cool place with a lot of usual things, great prices, a number of gluten free options and at least some organic. That is a fun errand. Walmart is the not fun one (DH wants some new work shirts). And I'm starting my shopping for a new lazy boy....that hopefully will be fun. I love mine but the back support is gone and it's starting to hurt my back. Monday I'm off work so a long weekend for me. We are going to the bank in the morning to sign closing papers...we refianced the house. After that both girls are going to the vet...Cosmo just needs her nails clipped (normally a groomer does it but the thyroid problem has made her hair grow slowly so we don't want to pay for a full grooming). Molly has light nails so we cut those ourselves. Molly though needs a bunch of shots. My poor baby.....last time she cried for her shots. She is a bit of a drama queen with pain.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Crazy day today. The nephews came over yesterday, so Mira didn't sleep till 11:00. Needless to say, she didn't go to school today, but went to pick up the niece. I've been home with the monkeys all day. Mira is exhausted, but refusing to sleep, of course.

Josh and I both had the day off, of course, so we went out early and got a few things from the store and then hunkered down. Watched some TV, played, hung out. DH came home around 1 and we did a lot of just hanging out, went outside for a while. We made pizza for dinner. The snow is coming down pretty good now and it's getting windy. I might lose power but I'll keep in touch for as long as I can!

Work was crazy busy for me. We were gearing up for migration from Exchange to Office 365 on the 14th, and just this morning CIT (a bunch of idiots, I swear!) dropped the bomb on us that we needed all this other stuff that they neglected to tell us about in place prior to the migration. Besides that, I've been meeting with the one intelligent guy that works for CIT on creating new calendars for our conference rooms, since the old ones were so patched together they no longer function right. Our migration had to be pushed back to the 27th to give us time to make changes to 400+ computers (thankfully, most are managed but we do have a hundred or so that are not). But we're going ahead with turning off our conference room calendars tomorrow 10:00 a.m. and if all goes well, hopefully all the data will be imported and functioning in the new ones. I hurriedly printed off month views and the next two weeks of each conference room, 'just in case' The old rooms will still be there (renamed), accessible by me, supposedly....but I know how CIT works. I wanted hard copies just in case.

I know...y'all care so much about that. But now it's typed, I'm not deleting it.

Hoping you don't lose power Kate and keep on hunkering down! Um yeah Chrissy that was a bit over my head. LOL I spent my day doing searches, obtaining articles, working on collection development and weeding the serials. Year change is always a big time for serials...adding new ones, deciding what to keep and what to toss and updating all that about 4 different places. Plus once done with that, we are moving the journals to a new space closer to the copier and getting the reference section to where the journals are now. That frees up some space to add some more computers...we currently have 7 but there are times when they are all in use. We haven't really told IS that yet though....figured we would move stuff around and make the space, than talk to facilities and IS. Much hard to put us off or try to tell us no (we were trying to work on redoing the space for a few years now and we pushed back every time as there was always something else going on...new building in the past two years was part of that).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Suja have fun with your niece! Hopefully you all get through to her and she takes the school giving the free ride....I agree with you and name is so much more a big deal for grad school than undergrad.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We're getting snow here finally. It started just after 3:00 and it's pretty heavy. I'm home, Bobbie's home...Conner and the others are with Rich even though it's 'my' weekend. The roads were so bad, we decided it wasn't worth the risk to bring them down even though it's just 2 miles. I had to make 4 turns from where I park to my apartment, and on two of them I had to do that trick where you gas it because your car won't turn the corner otherwise...it just gets crooked and then tries to plow straight while your wheels are cranked. I'm glad I know how to drive in the snow, but after that I decided no one better go anywhere! I have AWD too.

That's nuts, Chrissy! Stay safe, everyone on the East coast.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I have all seasons on my car. I'm sure it would have handled better with actual snow tires...but it's that heavy, wet snow that's great for building snowmen, not great for driving. And it came so fast, it got deep just 10 minutes after the plow went through, even with heavy traffic. Our bus even slid a few times on the 30+ mile trek home.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I made it back! I was having trouble logging in for a while. I heard about the snow storms coming - stay warm and dry, everyone.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 02-08-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Yes! Wishing you all in the East loads of fleece blankets, hot cocoa, working utilities, good things to read and that you take advantage of this reason to put your feet up. And if you do drive, please stay safe out there!

Our power keeps going in and out. Probably going to lose it at some point, hopefully not for long!

Stay safe and warm, everyone!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Hello ladies, I missed you all!

I hope everyone back East is staying warm and safe, too. I can't imagine... You are in my thoughts!

L, I know this is late, and don't know if it would work with R in a situation like that, but what I do with Maiya is tell her that if she fights going home, we can not go back next time. And then if she fights anyway, I make sure she knows when next time is skipped, and then when we're ready to try again, I talk to her about it before hand and remind her that we will not go next time again if she fights again. Maiya is so young that I don't say "we'll skip two times if you do it again", but R could probably get that.

I tell ya... We have pictures up of my Grandmas, and a dog, Peach, who have all died. Somehow, Maiya, who knows they're dead, has started telling me "It's ok, don't worry, they will be alive again one day..." Sometimes, I wish I believed that, and I especially wish I could tell Maiya she's right. I want to make it all easy and cushy for her! Obviously, I don't go in to the whole thing about death with a 2 year old, but it certainly makes me think about it.

Also, big news!! She is potty trained. Haven't been in diapers since Monday, so 4 whole days! One accident, and it was minutes after sitting on the toilet. I think the only thing holding her back was that she hadn't quite figured out how to release (only hold it, which is why she held it for nearly 20 hours and I freaked out!!). She is still learning how to release, and it's a chore for her (still takes a few minutes of sitting on the toilet, and the accident was because she got bored and decided she didn't need to go, after all). She even pooped in the toilet!

This is really good news because, when she was in diapers, as I said, she knew how to hold it, but not how to release (even in diapers), so she was only peeing once or twice a day, sometimes 3 max, but that was rare. Today she peed 4 times! So even though she hasn't gotten good at releasing, it is an improvement. Hopefully this will be healthier for her!!

An odd effect of her PTing is that we also haven't used the stroller in 4 days. As L knows, we've been using it mostly because I'm too lazy to carry all her stuff! But without having to carry the diapers (we did cloth, so it was pretty bulky), I don't hate the regular backpack as much. BUT, I now need to carry a potty seat. She still poops better on a very-low-to-the-ground potty chair, rather than a full size toilet, and she can't use a regular toilet without falling in... And since she can't release at will, I can't dangle her over it... Anyone have a good solution?? What do you carry with you? Small, compact, easy to carry, but can be used separately or on a toilet... Time to google!!

Anyway, I do realize I just spent 3 paragraphs talking about toileting... Sorry! It's just very exciting.

Hooray for potty training!We are fine here. The power went on and off a couple times but we are all good now. I think it's pretty much done.

That's excellent about the potty training, Janet! I've got a time frame in my mind for when I think I can encourage Cash to be trained. He goes to the toilet about half of the time, but I plan to do the bottomless method at Easter break.

Travis is really getting on my nerves today. He is just being so defiant lately and rude. My in-laws came around to see him for a few minutes, but he stuck his tongue out at them and wouldn't answer anything to what they were saying to him. I've sent him to his room and he's started throwing things aroundand screaming so now dh is sitting with him talking. I think it's time to crack open the cider. I've had enough this week.

Woo hoo for potty!!!!

Ashley, I'm sorry about Travis. That really is frustrating. Have you guys tried ignoring his behavior, like when he sticks his tongue out and refuses to talk, just simply talk amongst yourselves and act like you don't even notice he's not participating? Ironically, that has worked with Conner on occasion (not always!) and in those instances I think it's all about getting a reaction. I still don't understand why, but kids (and in my own experience, young boys in particular) seem to like even negative attention and will do things like that just to get it.

That's really all I got. Kids are indeed frustrating and I'm never really sure if what I did really worked, or if Conner behaved nicely simply because he chose to.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Janet, I have this portable, carry-along potty seat, that you can probably have if you want: http://www.amazon.com/Kalencom-2-in-...pr_product_top. Congrats on potty training, and sorry I haven't been able to get together with you so far. I have had sick kids and then sick me just one after the other for so long and no end in sight.------------------ Having trouble making paragraphs today, for some reason. I can't remember which running away incident I have updated you on, but R. has been told that we cannot do things because he runs away. C. asked about going to the Farmer's Market with a bouncy house today and I told them that we couldn't do it because R. has been running away too much. R. asked about going back to the park with the trains and I told him we couldn't do it because he ran away the last time we were there. I took them to Totland last weekend by myself and said we were going there because it was a fenced-in playground and that was the only kind of place I felt secure about going with all three of them by myself while he is exhibiting this kind of pattern.------------ He ran away from me after school the other day, as we were all going down the stairs to the street. I couldn't find him. We looked around, I had the other two kids with me, and S. had to pee. I asked a few kids and teachers if they had seen him. C. started going back up to the school to look in the playground. Another mom brought him back from up the street, away from the school, in the direction where we never park. She said she found him there as she was walking and he was hiding from me. I'm kind of at a loss. It's not like I can tell him he can't go to school. I try to hold his hand when he's being particularly squirrelly and tell him he's under "hand arrest" until he can show me that he is listening. ----------------------- I asked him if he could think of something that would make a difference. I said that time outs hadn't worked. Leaving fun places hadn't worked. Talking to him hadn't worked. I gave the example of how DH finally had to take a toy away from C. after she kept spitting and wouldn't stop, and that was a strong enough deterrent that she finally remembered to not spit. I asked him what would make him remember to not run away. He said "Listening?" But then he added that running away wasn't bad because it gave him exercise. I'm just so frustrated.

How can all of you be making paragraphs so easily and I can't? I hate this!