Page 1276 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 27677611761226126612741275127612771278128613261376 ... LastLast
Results 38,251 to 38,280 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    Don't ask me about politically correct words! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Ack! I know. I said "midget" too. That can't be right.

It's all good. We're all just a bunch of heathens anyway. Mandy, I'm sorry, I know you're not technically but "birds of a feather" and all that. Really, you should know better.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Oh, I know Chrissy. Pretty sure my beliefs would be considered heathen by anyone who cared, anyway!
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

When we're all burning in hell together, don't say I didn't try to warn you.

Man, I am in the stupidest quandry. My hippy beekeeper friend whom I adore was here a month or 2 ago and I was telling her how I really wanted to find a small desk for Sawyer because he likes to feel included during our school time and Savana and Kai both have a desk. Well she found a little desk at an antique shop and it seems she was texting me about it but I don't always have my phone on me so didn't get the texts to tell her to buy it or not. She bought it for $35. Not that $35 will make or break me but I'm pretty frugal and would never have paid that for an old desk. We got the other ones for $10 for both off craigslist and as it is, I found a little holly hobby one for 2.50 at St Vinny's a few weeks before xmas. My brother, who is also great friends with her, stayed with her in her yurt this past weekend and apparently she was asking him when I was going to pick it up. So....should I suck it up and just give her the money and take the desk I don't need? I know she has only good intentions but I didn't actually ask her to look for one for me.
    And yes, she lives in a yurt! In Wisconsin winter, on her parents land because they are organic farmers, she works full time on the farm and her mom is suffering from late stage lyme disease so she really has to be there all the time but wants her own space. I admire it but don't think I could do it!
    Last edited by Bridget; 01-28-2013 at 09:29 PM.

So long as we're together!

That's a tough one, Bridget. I might be tempted to just suck it up and buy it from her, so long as it doesn't break you.

I know. It seems like the right thing to do. Bugger. Dbf will have a fit. He is such a stickler about money.

Krystal, I think they did do that in the movie. The scarecrow had no brains, but he was always the one saying "I have a plan". The tin man had no heart but he was very sensitive and was crying in the poppies scene. The lion had no courage but his bounding out at the rest of them was very courageous (even if he chose to attack Toto, LOL)

So long as we're together!

That's a tough one, Bridget. I might be tempted to just suck it up and buy it from her, so long as it doesn't break you.
    I agree. I'd just suck it up and do it.

I know. It seems like the right thing to do. Bugger. Dbf will have a fit. He is such a stickler about money.

I just remembered something I wanted to tell you guys. Kai asked me the other night what the very first humans thought when they saw the very first human die. He wondered if they thought the person was asleep and how they could understand death if no one could tell them and they couldn't read about it. He totally caught me off gaurd with that question and a few seconds passed while I was formulating my answer and then he said, "Oh, i guess they saw plants and animals die so they probably knew what was happening."

I thought that was incredibly deep for a five year old and I had to share it here because when I shared it with dbf he gave me a look like it kind of freaked him out that Kai would think about that. I thought it was cool.

That's a smart kid right there, Bridget.

Kids understand a lot more than we think. Ever since we talked to Mira about Khan being sick and possibly dying, she gets concerned when anyone she knows gets sick. She even told me one night before bed that she didn't want her friends to die.

I would LOVE that.
    I know I have told you guys this before but if dbf was up for it, I'd pack us into a mobile home and go where he goes for business. I think that would be an awesome experience for us. I love change. I think we'd make great nomads. Wait, is that the right word?
    Oh, me too! When I was a teen I baby sat a lot, and ended up watching a lot of TV with the kids I watched. One of the shows was "Wild Thornberries", and they traveled in an RV and studied animals. That is awesome!! I would so do that if I could...

Even without the animal study aspect, it would be pretty awesome. As a kid, we went on 5 week long road trips every few years, and that was amazing.

Man, I am in the stupidest quandry. My hippy beekeeper friend whom I adore was here a month or 2 ago and I was telling her how I really wanted to find a small desk for Sawyer because he likes to feel included during our school time and Savana and Kai both have a desk. Well she found a little desk at an antique shop and it seems she was texting me about it but I don't always have my phone on me so didn't get the texts to tell her to buy it or not. She bought it for $35. Not that $35 will make or break me but I'm pretty frugal and would never have paid that for an old desk. We got the other ones for $10 for both off craigslist and as it is, I found a little holly hobby one for 2.50 at St Vinny's a few weeks before xmas. My brother, who is also great friends with her, stayed with her in her yurt this past weekend and apparently she was asking him when I was going to pick it up. So....should I suck it up and just give her the money and take the desk I don't need? I know she has only good intentions but I didn't actually ask her to look for one for me.
    And yes, she lives in a yurt! In Wisconsin winter, on her parents land because they are organic farmers, she works full time on the farm and her mom is suffering from late stage lyme disease so she really has to be there all the time but wants her own space. I admire it but don't think I could do it!
    Oh, a yurt... I actually looked at one of those for somewhere to stay in Hawaii, haha. Not seriously, but it popped up in my search. Very interesting...

As for the desk... Is she flat out asking you to pay for it? If not, depending on your friend, I might try saying something like "Wow, you didn't have to buy that for Sawyer, that's so sweet!", because maybe she meant it as a gift? Otherwise, again depending on the level of your friendship, otherwise I'd just be honest, and say something like "That is so sweet, thank you, but I really can't afford $35 for a desk right now..." But, if you think neither of those options are good, and it won't break the bank, then yeah, probably just roll with it...

Quote Originally Posted by daylilies View Post
    Krystal, I think they did do that in the movie. The scarecrow had no brains, but he was always the one saying "I have a plan". The tin man had no heart but he was very sensitive and was crying in the poppies scene. The lion had no courage but his bounding out at the rest of them was very courageous (even if he chose to attack Toto, LOL)
    Hmm... You know, now that I think about it, you might be right... It was more central in the book, but I think you're right, I think it was in the movie, too...

I just remembered something I wanted to tell you guys. Kai asked me the other night what the very first humans thought when they saw the very first human die. He wondered if they thought the person was asleep and how they could understand death if no one could tell them and they couldn't read about it. He totally caught me off gaurd with that question and a few seconds passed while I was formulating my answer and then he said, "Oh, i guess they saw plants and animals die so they probably knew what was happening."

I thought that was incredibly deep for a five year old and I had to share it here because when I shared it with dbf he gave me a look like it kind of freaked him out that Kai would think about that. I thought it was cool.
    I'm impressed! Smart kid. Why would it freak him out? I guess in the same way my friend freaked out when her son and Maiya and I were telling a story, and the carnivorous dinosaur killed something... Guess some people don't like to think about death...?

On that topic, one of the shows Maiya has watched is the "Walking With" series. I think it's fairly well done and really liked it. I don't know if you guys do TV, but if you do, and if he wants to explore the ways the first humans thought, I would suggest to watch "Walking with Cavemen", and even "Walking with Beasts" (which starts before humans, but ends with the earliest humans). It even addresses the way they treated the dead, and what a huge mental milestone it was to think about what happens after death, because that involves imagination. Really interesting stuff!

That sounds cool. Mine are obsessed with the dawn of mankind. Where is that series?

It's this one. I really liked the whole series, but can't watch them with Maiya any more. One, we don't watch that much TV period, but two, she is SO sensitive right now, she'd freak out... I watched it on Netflix instant view.

I did a quick google search of Dawn of Mankind, but don't think I found the right one... Can you tell me more? Even if Maiya can't watch it, I might after she's in bed!

Oddly enough, this brings up the topic of humans and our evolution, and that is the ONLY thing making me think there's more to life than just random chance... I don't know what, I don't think it's some all powerful being or anything, but it just is so odd to me that, of all the billions of life forms that have lived on this planet, that ONE species, in billions and billions of years, ONE species has developed in this manner. I mean, no other life form even comes CLOSE to our level of intelligence and abilities. Boggles my mind! It's really fascinating...

Oh, one thing about "Walking with Cavemen", though, is that, while well done, it does just glance over a lot of details. The others in the "Walking with" series (Monsters, Dinosaurs, and Beasts) are all a lot more thorough. Each of them has something like 12 episodes, while "Cavemen" only has 2. I imagine that could be because we just don't have enough info and they didn't want to make as many guesses, but I was still a little disappointed. Like I said, it is fascinating, I would have loved it to be longer.

Krystal, I need to watch that! Like, now.

Bridget, I was going to suggest showing Kai some books about the earliest burial sites and what that meant about the people who made them and their mental abilities. I believe Neanderthals were the first to bury their dead, and there were retraces of pollen from flowers, as well as pigment, on the grave sites. If I remember correctly from when I was a teenager!

Oh, the dawn of mankind is just a general term. lol. They are just so interested in early life. I love that they are and really I've been learning a lot too because I was taught that god created us so I never learned anything about evolution when I was growing up.
    I know what you mean but nature itself is such an effing miracle in itself! It's all pretty mindblowing.

Thanks for telling us about that. We need some new stuff to watch. I have had enough of magic schoolbus. Great science info but I can only take so much.
    Last edited by Bridget; 01-28-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Bridget, I was going to suggest showing Kai some books about the earliest burial sites and what that meant about the people who made them and their mental abilities. I believe Neanderthals were the first to bury their dead, and there were retraces of pollen from flowers, as well as pigment, on the grave sites. If I remember correctly from when I was a teenager!
    Great idea. We've studied the ancient egyptians and man they had some gnarly ideas about death and afterlife. It's lovely when Kai wants to share those stories at our family gatherings...

Great idea. We've studied the ancient egyptians and man they had some gnarly ideas about death and afterlife. It's lovely when Kai wants to share those stories at our family gatherings...

Oh, you should! In fact, now that it's come up, I'm thinking I may want to watch it again... The whole series is well done. My favorites were "Walking with Monsters", which talks about the first life forms, and Cavemen, which talks about humans. It's just a unique series because it's not just talking about what we know, it shows you what things may actually have been like, like a potential time machine. Really cool!

Oh, the dawn of mankind is just a general term. lol. They are just so interested in early life. I love that they are and really I've been learning a lot too because I was taught that god created us so I never learned anything about evolution when I was growing up.
    I know what you mean but nature itself is such an effing miracle in itself! It's all pretty mindblowing.

Thanks for telling us about that. We need some new stuff to watch. I have had enough of magic schoolbus. Great science info but I can only take so much.
    Oh, haha. I know, I've heard the term, I just thought it was also a show. Too much TV on my brain, it seems! Then, yes, hope they can watch this and enjoy it. Sounds like it's right up their alley. Aw, Magic School Bus... Oh the nostalgia!

Oh don't tell me you have no family members that respond with "I KNOW! And you know they pulled their brains out their nose???" Fun times, I'm sure!

Hahaaha! The brains out the nose is Kai's FAVE bit of info.

I am watching "Vegucated" on netflix right now and oh. my. god. Break me heart watching the way these chickens are treated. On an organic farm, no less. A factory farm is a factory farm is a factory farm. I really, really really want to get some chickens.

Krystal, I saw and really enjoyed Walking with Dinosaurs and Beasts. I didn't realize there were others, though. Thanks for giving me some ideas for great shows to watch.

Hahaaha! The brains out the nose is Kai's FAVE bit of info.
    Isn't that everyone's favorite part???

I am watching "Vegucated" on netflix right now and oh. my. god. Break me heart watching the way these chickens are treated. On an organic farm, no less. A factory farm is a factory farm is a factory farm. I really, really really want to get some chickens.
    So sad... I wish humans could just treat things humanely... I want Maiya to know where her food comes from, but I also want to make sure she knows that we treat everything well. No stepping on ants, no smashing spiders, no killing or wasting anything unless you need to. And if you have something, that something is your RESPONSIBILITY. Treat it responsibly. Even if you have to kill it at the end, you make sure you respect their life while they have it. End of story...

Ack, GWENN, I spelled your name Gwyn before, sorry. That's how my aunt spells her name... But I hadn't realized, either. I think the others are newer and somehow didn't make it as big over here. But still a good watch! Hope you enjoy it, let me know if you do end up watching them.

Oh, and Bridget, I would love chickens, too! My neighbors (who were like family to me) had chickens when we were kids, it was great! But now my backyard is too small for my cat, no way I could have chickens...

OMG, I am going crazy. Puppy came up to me 20 minutes ago asking to be let out. I put him out. 5 minutes later, DH came by wanting to know why he was still outside (because he hadn't asked to be let back in yet). So I told DH to let him in if he wanted. He did, then went back to his computer room (which is gated off so the puppy can't reach). Now puppy is pestering me again to be let back out.

Seriously. Just let him stay out until he's ready to come in. Or take him back out yourself every five minutes. Because I'm not here to let the dog out all night for five minutes at a time. We have a 6' fence and he can't get out. He's fine.

Krystal, I'm so glad you joined us.
    And I agree. Tread lightly, I say all the time. We don't kill bugs either. In fact, I've gone to crazy measures to save a freaking bug around here because my kids make me. I haven't delved too much into animal cruelty regarding food production because Savana is uber sensitive about stuff like that and I don't want her to have to think about how awful it is. We have talked a bit about making sure animals get to live a comfortable farm life, with room to roam and proper food. We were getting our eggs from a great local farmer but I stopped because she uses corn feed in the winter and the gmo stuff scares me.

Lol Mandy! Why does he care how long the dog is out?
    Krystal I am smacking myself in the head right now that all the times that dbf and i have discussed getting chickens, neither of us once mentioned the CATS. Wth? I think our cats would be scared of chickens though.

Because he is ridiculously overprotective. Fine, but puppy needs to run around like an idiot and I'd much rather he do that outside than inside!

Oh, and Krystal, no worries about the spelling. Spell it however you like. Or just call me Mandy!