Page 1258 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 258 758 1158 1208 124812561257125812591260 1268 1308 1358 ... LastLast
Results 37,711 to 37,740 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    *Resisting strong urge to tell off-color joke about in exactly what way I do that.*
    ooo la la!!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

I wanted to confess....that I am really surprised and happy that after not weighing in for 35 days over the holidays....I only gained .4 of a pound!!! I thought for sure it was going to be like 5-7 lbs but I guess I didn't party as much as I thought I did or unknowingly compensated for the cookies?

Back to tracking my points on weight watchers.....I would really like to lose 20-30 lbs before going on vacation in May.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh yeah and I confess that I just started to finally watch Lost. Kind of slow to the game there but we are about 10 episodes into season one and liking it a lot so far.....and managed to avoid spoilers on it when it was all super popular. And now I MUST try to avoid reading summaries online. I'm so awful about that and often end up checking the end of the book!

Except it doesn't really inspire me to fly anywhere.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Woot on maintaining your weight through the holiday Jennifer! That's no easy task! I didn't feel like I overindulged at all, but I admit my pants are beyond the tightness where I can easily blame the dryer.

Aw, Lost. We watched it til the end. That's all I'll say about that. LOL.

I feel so frumpy and sluggish after this holiday season. I really drank quite a bit of alcohol this year. "What? More sherry? Oh, go on, then." LOL. I am going to have to get my bum back in gear with doing zumba/bootcamp and kicking the junk food to the curb. I am such a bad, bad eater.

I missed you too, Mylah! And I also miss Erin. But NEVER feel like you can't just jump back in. We family here
    We watched most the Lost series too, just last year. Then we stopped getting netfilx and never started again when we subscribed to netflix again. We just stared watching Friday Night Lights. A bit drama-ish for both of us but it's ok so far. It is hard for us to agree on something good since I don't enjoy watching anything violent and that type of "stupid" humor (ie: Dumb and Dumber) I can only take so much of. Small doses of that are good for me, but I couldn't watch it in a series.

We just got back from Costco. I finally caved. We have to make some serious adjustments to our budget with me hardly working (but I am taking back that family, btw. They start in 2 weeks) You know me, I like to shop local, the co-op, etc but it's pricey. Costco has a lot of organics for much better prices. Specifically frozen fruits and veggies since if we want any variety at all we have to buy frozen through the winter. Blah. I'm taking comfort since it's not Sam's Club (Walmart) which I refuse to shop at. Admittedly though, I don't know much about Costco's business practices.

Speaking of taking that daycare family back. I decided to go with being certified instead of licensed. Cheaper, faster, less regulation, less requirements, etc. So I had called the certifier to see how fast she could get me back in the program since this family is county funded and so I need to be in the system to get paid. She told me I have to install a "child safe alarm" in my van in order to drive the four year old. Well, I have to drive her because we have piano lessons and other acitivities during the week. This darn alarm is a couple hundred dollars. I guess it's a button that you have to go press in the back of your van to shut off the alarm to make sure you don't leave any kids in the car. I'm sorry but give me an effing break. This is how they regulate? It's a result of an incident in Milwaukee where a daycare provider left a poor sweet baby in the car after a field trip and he did not survive. I just think a daycare provider has to be totally negligent to begin with to do that and an alarm in a van is not going to change that trait in a human. I'll be totally honest and say I can really see how it could happen to a parent who normally does not drop the child off at daycare and is so ingrained in their routine that they drive to work and forget...we've all heard those stories and my heart breaks for those parents. But a daycare provider? How do you not realize that a child who was with you before is not with you now? I just can't imagine and it bugs me when the result of these accidents are just gestures to make it seem like they're addressing the issue. The issue is poor quality child care. And that won't be fixed by this alarm.
    Forgive me. I'm annoyed. But on a happy note, the kids I'm taking back, I adore them. They have dealt with so much in their lives and still they are such sweet, good hearted, helpful, respectful children. I spoke to the mom on the phone last night to confirm everything and she said when she told the kids they were coming back they started screaming and jumping for joy. Talk about a great feeling hearing that!

I'm so lucky in that my DH is willing to watch most of my stuff. Like he will watch Young and Restless with me, he loved Gilmore Girls, liked most of Charmed. We both really loved Alias. Of course the sci/fy ones like Star Trek, Battle Star Gallatica (my favorite ever I think), Stargate. what else. Oh we both like/liked United States of Tara, Episodes, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Once Upon a Time, Six Feet Under (that one is fantastic....best series ending I have ever seen).
    he does draw the line at watching most of the reality junk I watch like bachelor or something like my old 90210 dvds. LOL

Lost was up next because my sister was bugging me to get her DVD's back. After that is Babylon Five and was thinking maybe West Wing or Fringe.

I remember that van incident. Generally Milwaukee has a lot of issues!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Do any of you watch Breaking Bad? That's the current series we've been working through (slowly). I like Weeds and Nurse Jackie, but my DH was not a fan. He loved Lost, but I couldn't get into it and stopped watching after a couple episodes. It didn't help that the series had already ended and I heard all of the reactions to the final episode.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

Awwww...Bridget I'm so happy your getting 'your kids' back and that they were so excited to hear they were coming back as well.

I haven't but heard great things about Breaking Bad. I don't know how I did it but I totally managed to not hear hardly anything about Lost. I didn't start when it did so figured I would wait it out and managed to learn nothing about it. My parents and sister watched it though when it was on.

Weeds was one I really liked but DH didn't watch with me. I started on Nurse Jackie but only saw the first season. DH also doesn't like to watch Greys with me or True Blood or Vampire Diaries. He's not a big fan of vampires or blood...though manages fine with Dexter and Game of Thrones (he's HUGE on this one....I'm eh on it).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I could never watch all that tv. I really don't know anything about lost except I think an airplane crashes and people are stranded. Maybe I'll try to watch that one some day but I really have difficulty getting into any tv show.

I do like the Office, but not enough that I watch it every week. If I'm bored and searching for something to watch and it's on, I'll watch it then. The same with Seinfeld. I still watch that one.

I am with you, Chrissy, not a big fan of tv. I love to read. I usually pull out my book as soon as the kids go to bed and then dbf turns on the tv and gets all offended that I' m not watching with him. lol We do play scrabble while we watch so that keeps me awake. I am reading, Protecting the Gift right now. Have you all read this? It is not what I expected by the title and I am getting a lot out of it so far.
    Last edited by Bridget; 01-08-2013 at 05:34 PM.

I really don't get that....Through the years, I definitely had my favorite shows and Rich had his. If we happened to like the same ones, great. If not...meh. I don't think Rich ever gave it a 2nd thought if I sat and read while he watched something. It wasn't like I was out of the house partying with guys or something. I know I never thought twice about it if Rich decided to do something else while I watched my tv show.

I know! I always tell him he is such a woman. lol

Yeah, but I'm a woman and I still don't get that way. Wait-so are you (or you're posing as one) so it has to be something else.

Is that really 'a thing' people get upset about? That their partner doesn't watch a tv program with them? Asking the other mamas 'cause I don't think I know anyone like this, and I know some pretty immature, insecure people.

I don' t know if that specifically is something other people get upset about. I like to poke fun of him because to me it.s more like he just thinks I' m not paying enough attention to him if I am not watching the same thing. I' still sitting next to him! A lot of men I have known over the years possess more of the character traits most often associated with women. And my women friends and I always have a good laugh about that.

We watched Lost too, my dh was often annoyed by it, but I stuck it out. I did enjoy it, but I can't imagine watching it again. We just discovered Once Upon a Time on netflix, loving that one. Breaking Bad is fantastic. Definitely recommend it!! We watched Downton Abbey last night, I was a bit disappointed they didn't show more wedding. Loved Shirley MacLaine. Anyone know if we can view the Downton Xmas specials in the US?

Jennifer, good job on the weight. We still have so much junk in the house, ugh. Because everyone was flying home, they made us bring home all the goodies. Including 3 boxes of chocolates! I need to encourage dh to take it all to work. I need to get busy and finally lose this baby weight. My baby is 4.5, I think it's time lol.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I don' t know if that specifically is something other people get upset about. I like to poke fun of him because to me it.s more like he just thinks I' m not paying enough attention to him if I am not watching the same thing. I' still sitting next to him! A lot of men I have known over the years possess more of the character traits most often associated with women. And my women friends and I always have a good laugh about that.
    I guess that's the part that really baffles me...if you're still right there, why not just let you do something you enjoy? Your not caring for the same tv program isn't a reflection on him.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Hush on the Downton Abbey spoilers! We just started watching Season 2 last night.

I like watching one select show with my dh at a time, but we don't have network tv and I carefully try to pick a series that I think dh and I will both like. We don't watch it every night--maybe a few nights a week we'll have time after the kids go to bed to sit down and watch a show and sometimes that will have been a night we couldn't eat dinner with the children, so we eat dinner out in the living room and watch together. I never watch tv without him. It is not interesting to me at all to not have that shared experience, for some reason, although I love reading books and (lately) listening to some podcasts and still enjoy them without sharing them. I don't get upset about it--I can take tv or leave it, but if I do watch it, I need to be persuaded to do it by the shared enjoyment and date type experience of it. In order for me to actually sit down for an hour, I need a compelling reason.

DH watches tv just fine without me. There are lots of shows he watches without me. Sometimes he'll start watching something and then stop and say he found something interesting and ask if he should stop and come back to it later when I have time to watch it. But often he is watching tv while I'm paying bills or updating my blog or doing laundry or responding to emails or packing the twins' snacks for the next day, so he has this relaxation time while I'm getting stuff done. This is a pretty good system for us, and the shows that we do watch together have been really enjoyable and thought-provoking. Game of Thrones and Downton Abbey have been our favorites lately.

oops sorry! I didn't mention who was getting married.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

We don't watch a lot of series TV, which requires following a storyline. I watch Project Runway, Top Chef, The Amazing Race, Iron Chef, House Hunters/HH International, that sort of stuff. And catch things like The Big Bang Theory and Criminal Minds on reruns on occasion. The only series we watch on at least a semi-regular basis is The Good Wife. I guess we are generally too lazy to bother with storylines.

Bridget, I bet those kids were thrilled to come back to you. If you lived around here, I'd be foisting The Litttle Monkey off on you. I have a huge amount of respect for your parenting/teaching skills.

My TV watching consists mainly of House Hunters and similar type shows, and to my DH's eternal regret American Idol. Otherwise I am generally following DH around turning the TV off. I discovered Mad Men through Netflix and watched Season Five as it aired, and am anxiously awaiting the next season (which I believe is filming now). Otherwise not a whole lot. I will likey start on Downton Abbey next, so I second the no spoilers part. Haven't started Season One yet but I know I'd like it.

Bridget, that is crazy about the car alarm. I agree with you, it won't prevent negligent daycare providers from being negligent one way or another. Just enable them, really. But you are right, what childcare provider could forget a child in their charge? Every time I've been on a fieldtrip I and the other adults were constantly counting heads. It's what you do.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

LOL Yeah we, meaning especially ME watch a lot of TV. But I do see that coming to an end once there is a child to take care of. I love love love series things and that includes TV. I like the getting to "know" the characters. I also love reading and am always in the middle of a book and probably read at least an hour every day.
    I mostly just mentioned shows we enjoy together....that didn't include my DVR list....well a few that I mentioned under the DH won't watch. I admit I DVR say yes to the dress, Teen mom/16 and pregnant, Tia and Tamara and flip on HGTV or Food Network when I am reading or going to bed. Oh and I DVR The View and General Hospital but DH will only watch Young and the Restless with me....not General Hospital.

I also admit that I would feel kind of hurt if we didn't have at least some shows we watch together. Doesn't have to be all of them. But I agree that the shared experience is great and gives us something else to talk about....after almost 15 years together, not always easy to find topics that haven't been talked to death. He also gets kind of hurt if I don't watch at least some Packers and Brewers with him. I think I'm finally starting to get the rules. LOL I have mentioned before that my DH is pretty sensitive and emotional and not so much a mans man kind of guy....but also not a feminine guy. He is my nerdy guy. Makes it easier to be best friends and have a lot of hobbies in common....good thing since we are almost always together. I was invited to a girls night in two weeks and I feel so guilty ditching him for a few hours.

Over the weekend and holiday we ended up watching a lot of Diners Drive Ins and Dives....and are hoping to visit 1-2 on vacation (his mom's idea). And than realized that he's gone to a LOT of places in Minneapolis which is totally doable for us and we already have two specifically in mind.

Suja, I passed on that info to my sister. I do think Texas will be a no-go. Southeast WI and maybe northern IL is probably the target range. My DH ran into the same thing...his masters is in geophysics....he is super smart but is working in a factory setting. He considered and was in talks to go to Texas and work in the oil industry but we really didn't want to move to Texas.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I can see how a move to Texas would be unappealing. If I moved to Texas, it would be to Austin. It's the least 'Texas like' of all their big cities. Although, Houston is where our clients are that I have visited, and holy hell, their food is AMAZING!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Okay, I have another few minutes to chat now (I feel I'm eternally saying that and I should just invent my own acronym for that-- OIHAFMTCN) and just scrolling back up to the top of the page I wanted to add that Breaking Bad was another show that DH and I loved and thought about and talked about even when we weren't watching it. As part of his PhD was in chemistry, DH actually guessed many of the methods that they were going to use, also, so it was nice to have my own expert next to me.

It was interesting to us after a new study came out that said that we take on the traits of our favorite fictional characters, how watching some of these shows that make us feel deeply involved in the lives of these characters and sympathetic to their causes might subtly influence our daily lives, especially when the characters might be unusually aggressive or have to make difficult decisions. The characters in the shows that we were watching were not all nice. It made for better entertainment.

---
    Mylah, welcome back. We're looking forward to seeing you soon!

When I was back in Wyoming and planning to get out of there, I narrowed my possible move to three options, and Austin TX was one of them. The rest of the state isn't that wonderful, but Austin is really nice. My other choice (besides here) was Seattle. I'm still happy I ended up here. I was talking to my children the other day about how lucky we were to live in such a wonderful place, where we could play outdoors comfortably all year long, with so many wonderful museums and parks and new places to discover all the time, the ocean and lakes and mountains nearby, and so much fresh food. I got all choked up just thinking about it. I've lived in places where it was snowy 9 months and mud 1 month and warm for only 2 months. The cost of living is high, traffic sucks, and you have to worry that someone might sue you for just about anything, but there are so many wonderful things about being here. I really am incredibly fortunate, and I don't forget it. I think it helps that I moved so much as a kid, and that I lived in so many different places--it helped me prioritize what I wanted later on. It's also really helpful to visit a lot of places and just feel the vibe. I liked Chicago as a city, but it just felt kind of depressing to me, for example. I didn't think I'd be happy there.

Yay, L! I'm looking forward to seeing you soon too. Haven't figured out if anything special will be at my house for Bodhi's b'day. Not ponies anyway.

Dana, DH & I are working through Breaking Bad as well. We're starting Season 3. It's sooo good. We've been going through it slowly because we started it during a network primetime lull. Then all our shows came back and we had to keep watching those, lest they fill our DVR to capacity. We were very into Lost when it was on the air too. Bridget, lemme know what you think when you get to the end. It'll be fun to discuss it.

(Hubby just looked over my shoulder and asked about "DH"? "What is this DH? Am I the Designated Hitter? No, that's only in the American League..." LOL.)

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    ... I've lived in places where it was snowy 9 months and mud 1 month and warm for only 2 months. The cost of living is high...
    Oh, you lived in upstate NY? lol

I hate it here. All this talk about nicer places to live is giving me the itch to relocate. But realistically, that'll likely never happen for me. At least not till I retire.

Quote Originally Posted by demigraf View Post
    (Hubby just looked over my shoulder and asked about "DH"? "What is this DH? Am I the Designated Hitter? No, that's only in the American League..." LOL.)
    You didn't tell him it meant d1ck head? Actually, I remember this being discussed years ago and quite a few dhs thought that's what it meant!

DH and I have shows we watch separately and shows we watch together. We actually just started watching Breaking Bad. We're only maybe 5 episodes in. It is so good, but DH gets a little anxious about it because of the violence and some gore. Still, he watches Walking Dead with me which is much worse. I always tell him he doesn't have to but he still does. It doesn't bother me that we watch some things on our own.

Bridget, the bus I monitor has that alarm in the back. My driver is an older man who has a hard time getting around now so I always hop back there and shut off the alarm for him when we are done. It is a pain in the butt! And those vans only hold maybe 6 kids (we only have 3) so I don't really see the point. The buses that really need it are the full length school buses, I think.

I don't think I told you guys I was asked back to work to sub for the monitor who took over when I left. I went on Friday afternoon and this week, but I don't think they need me any more, at least not consistently. I was still getting anxiety about it, but it hasn't been bad over the last couple days.

I have a procedure tomorrow to get rid of some bladder stones. I have to be put under and I'm a little worried about that. It's been a very long time since I've had to do it.

A bus I could see. I'm going to have my three kids and one other. To put this in will cost me two weeks of wages caring for this family. Such bs, imo. She said if I get into any type of accident and am cited for not having the alarm that it is a felony charge.

I confess I nearly left Jesi in the car when she was a newborn. I suppose that makes me an awful person...but I can relate to how easily a person can become so distracted they 'forget' they have a child with them. I would think the chances of forgetting when you're with someone else's child would be even greater.