Page 1249 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 24974911491199123912471248124912501251125912991349 ... LastLast
Results 37,441 to 37,470 of 44504

Thread: Secular Confessions

OMG ... I am going through my desk drawers and it's like an archaeological dig in here. I use 2-3 drawers that I store manuals, references, pens and pencils, etc. Going through the other drawers, I have uncovered (from past occupants of this desk):

1. Notes regarding a flight including flight number and take-off and landing times, for three years ago.
    2. A sealed ziploc baggie filled with plastic forks, spoons, and knives (with pieces of food stuck to some of the spoons).
    3. Various notes from professional developments past.
    4. An incomplete application to obtain continuing education credits for said PDs, which is in the shred pile because it contains previous owner's name, phone number, and address.
    5. A spiral notebook containing notes for an unwritten novel (obviously a kindred soul).
    6. A kitchen knife (sharp).
    7. And the best one: A Bette Middler mermaid in wheelchair keychain.

ETA: Oh, and a christmas stocking containing a christmas tree-shaped cookie cutter, with a signed card from my boss, addressed to the same individual in item 4.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 12-20-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Awww M!!! It does take a while for the biting to go bye bye. Molly was a monster with that for a while.
    My girls will beg and are food motivated, especially Molly with her beagle nose (think she got the beagle nose totally and not a bit of poodle in her nose!). But they are polite with food, at least dog food. Take turns sharing out of the dish and both will leave food sitting if they are done.
    My parents have two boys and they are PIGS about food, even dog food. Run to the dish and gobble it in like 2 minutes tops and than run to check the others dish to make sure that it's gone.
    My mom has a friend with a boy and girl and noticed the same thing....the girls are polite and eat slowly and boys wolf it down.

Nothing better to come home and have someone THAT excited to see you.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Nothing better to come home and have someone THAT excited to see you.
    Totally agree!

M still gets so excited he pees a little bit. Now that is love!

LOL that is quite the collection! Probably my oddest thing is a pen shaped like a femur. and some red raspberry leaf tea left from when I was giving that a try.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh, and Jennifer, I meant to say I was looking at the pictures of your girls and I can see why you were worried about Cosmo's weight. She does look tired. I sympathize with her thyroid issues! Poor girl, I'm glad she's starting to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Thanks for understanding, Ladies! I think I will take your advice and see if we can't outline a budget before I go to his mom. I think my biggest problem is that he b!tches and moans about it but when I offer solutions or even offer to quit (luckily he doesn't call me bluff) he says no.

I do believe we are in the path of this storm. We have about 6 inches now (if I had to guess, not official or anything) and it's coming down hard now. Dbf, Kai, Sawyer and I went out to clean up and build a snowman. It's pretty blustery out there. Savana, my tropical island girl, opted to stay in my bed in her underwear looking at books.

Speaking of my bed. Kai's been coming in every night and if dbf is home he sort of curls up at our feet. When dbf is gone, he takes that space but practically sleeps sideways with his feet on me. The other night, after pushing his legs off me several times during the night, I felt his feet on me in the morning and he was stirring and waking. I said, rather annoyed "Kai. Dude. When you sleep in a bed your head goes on the pillow and your feet go on the bottom. Why do you always put your feet on me??"

"Because I like to know your here when my eyes are closed."
    Awwwww. I felt like kind of a jerk after he said that!
    Awww...that's just too cute!!!

Bridget that guy is creepy. I mean people say things, oh that one is going to be a heartbreaker or you will have to beat them off with a stick. That is common enough and just a conversational thing meant to be taken as your have a really nice looking child. But hot and boobs about your OWN child or any child.....weird. You call a child beautiful or cute or adorable....not hot.
    Agreed! That's just too icky-gross. I have known people like that, even when I was an adolescent. If someones dad talked to my friend (their daughter) in that manner, I never went to their house again. Sickening! And while I'm not really one to point fingers since I had Bobbie at 17 and my father certainly never made remarks anything like that, I have to say it's no surprise she had a baby so young. It sounds like her father conditioned her to think that's what she's here for. Poor girl.

My cat Tigger and dog Missy have a good case of sibling rivalry going on. Missy is terrified of cats, because Callie used to walk up and box her for no reason. Tigger doesn't hesitate to hiss and spit at her, so she cowersaway from Tigger all the time even though he's old and new to the household. Now they both great me at the door and today I saw Tigger through the window stop toward the top, turn around and it looked like he hissed at Missy. Of course poor Missy who usually meets me right at the door stayed toward the top of the stairs while cat came down and met me there instead. I just know Tigger did it to be a snot. lol "I get to great Mama first!"

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

LOL for sibling rivalry! Love it. Poor Missy!

M and Vampire Kitty have had a few more encounters these days. Instead of fleeing, VK is standing her ground and hissing fiercely at him. He doesn't know quite what to make of it.

My Molly is a brat.....basically whatever toy Cosmo has, she wants. And Cos will let her....well after barking at her. I have to hold Molly to toss Cosmo a toy. Cosmo likes that but after a few times, she wants Molly down. I actually think she likes Molly taking toys from her and it's part of their game. Molly totally copies Cosmo too all the time. Cosmo rolls on her back on a toy, suddenly Molly is trying to do it (though often not on top the toy but next too it because she's kind of uncoordinated LOL). Cosmo lies in a certain direction, suddenly Molly is by her lying in the same direction. Cosmo is on my lap, Molly wants to be on my lap.
    OMG....having two kids is too much. LOL

Holy cow is the wind howling. There is open fields around me on the north and west and it's just slamming us. Instead of scraping the ice off my windshield, I sat in the van for 10 minutes waiting for the heat to melt it. LOL

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Is you cat's name really Vampire Kitty? LOL that is so cute even if it is a nickname.

We are going to be leaving tonight to go to Ohio, which I am comfortable sharing since my aunt will be at my house since she and her boys moved in. We are taking our dog with us again and I think he will have a good time. He loved the trip to Chicago in September, all except the part where we had to leave him at the boarding facility, but he was super excited to see us again. This time, since we are visiting my family and they don't have a bias against pets like DH's family, Bruno will stay with us at my mom's house. Mom is afraid that he will "eat her baby" Lionel, the little jack russel who I have nicknamed "Sir-Barks-A-Lot." Bruno loves other dogs though, all except our dog who died Mr. Hyde whom he seemed to hate I think because DH favored Mr. Hyde and Bruno is just deeply in love with DH so Bruno didn't like that Mr. Hyde got more of DH's attention and affection. I also loved Mr. Hyde more, maybe mean, but I really did and I still miss him and think about how much he would have loved going on this trip. Even my mom mentioned it as she loved Mr. Hyde too. He was a great dog. Bruno is becoming more mellow though since he has still been on his semi-bedrest due to his heartworm treatments. He goes next month to check to make sure they are all gone. I have been teaching him some manners and he has been very receptive and tries to please as best as he can. He has stopped biting up everything and rubbing himself all over my chocolate brown furniture (he is mostly white so was getting white hair everywhere) as I have lectured him repeatedly about this and he looks all "I'm sorry" when I tell him that that is not acceptable as "in the house" behavior. I don't think he will eat Sir-Barks-A-Lot and I actually think they'll get along really good. We shall see.

Erin

Awww...I hope your doggie has a great trip And y'all as well. Darnnit about Auntie staying at your house. That totally ruined my plans of laying naked on your couch and scratching my balls all week. Er, I mean...

Lol Chrissy!
    Have a great trip, Erin. You talking about lecturing your dog makes me laugh and reminds me of when we had our dog and dbf yelled, "What part of DON'T CHASE THE CAT do you not understand?!?!

Errr...all of it?

Yesterday I had to call poison control because Sawyer ate almost 1/2 bottle of gummy vitamins if my memory as to how full the bottle was is correct. We had just come in from playing in the snow and I was just about to go use the bathroom so before that I took a peek at what Sawyer was doing. He was standing on a kitchen table (I know I am a horrible mother but her REFUSES to sit in his booster so when we eat, he stands in a chair. Please don't tell anyone) eating. In front of him was a bowl of rice cereal he'd been eating before we went outside. I had no idea the vitamins were even out since Savana had brought them out I found out later. Anyway, I went to the bathroom and then came out to him and saw his mouth was full and he had his hand in the jar for more. That whole situation scared me so much! Luckily, according to poison control it was a good thing our vitamins did not contain flouride or iron because those are the 2 that can be toxic in high doses. My whole body was shaking. Very scary.

Wow bridget, that's so scary! Glad he's ok!
    And for the record, did you see the pic of Asher I posted on FB the other night? He's CONSTANTLY on the table. And just this morning he figured out that he is now able to get onto the counters from a kitchen chair. Joy.
    AKA Lisa724

Erin, somehow I think that the little jack russell will hold his own. LOL Some of those little dogs are TOUGH. My parents have a doxie/chiuahaha mix and nothing phases him.

Bridget that is scary! I'm glad that it all sounds ok now though.

Haha, i talk to my dogs like that too. Cosmo is super smart and understands a lot. I mean I can tell her, turn around so I can get your other side (when brushing her)....she does. Outside I can that is as far as you go and she stops. It's funny because I will tell her something expecting her not to understand and she totally gets it and surprises me. Now Molly on the other hand....I have been telling her several times a day for pretty much her whole life.....get your face out of the garbage (in the bathrooms). Simplify it to a Poogle NO. Does she get that? Nope. Well I think that maybe she knows but is just really persistent! Or the other one is get off your sister. Stop humping your sister. At least she seems to be doing that one less often as she's gotten a bit older.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Oh man Bridget-that's terrifying! I'm glad it wasn't anything serious. We were just talking about little kid emergencies here at work this morning. What a coincidence.

I can't say anything about kids standing on tables. I don't recall mine doing that, but they've done other daredevil things that made me think, "If anyone saw this, I'd lose my kids for sure!"

Glad Sawyer is okay, Bridget. I didn't know that about vitamins.

Lisa, I loved your picture of Asher on the table.

Erin, you're a trip! Hope you guys have a safe and uneventful trip home, and DH doesn't mess it up for you.

Oh, man, Bridget, that is scary! I'm glad he is okay.

Erin, we really do call her Vampire Kitty most of the time because at first she only came out at night, and she the rest of the time hiding under the bed. Her other, far less PC nickname is Anne Frank Kitty - DH calls her that. Shhh, don't tell, I'm too embarrassed. But she does hide most of the time, although she is starting to get braver. Her real name is Bosco which I absolutely hate. I do call her that when I'm trying to get her to respond, though, because she does know her name and as hard as this adjustment has been for her, it seems cruel to change her name, too. We intended to name her Tempest - if/when she settles in more, we might gradually change what we call her. She is a very loving and affectionate cat, though, and seems to really like me. Our previous cat set the bar for kitties pretty high, though, and she has a lot to live up to.

I totally talk to my dogs as though they understand everything I say. I have actually said "What part of [no; don't chew the furniture; don't bite your sister] don't you understand?" I know they don't get the exact words, but they do get the tone, and over time dogs do learn the words you say to them consistently. I remember driving my little Shih Tzu somewhere once and I put him in the passenger seat. While I walked around the side of the car, he went and sat in the driver seat. I opened the door, looked at him, and said, "You know I need to sit there so I can drive." That was all I did, and he got up and moved back to the passenger seat! From then on, I became convinced that dogs learn language just like kids do. I know a lot more about it now and it isn't exactly the same, but I actually do think they learn language the same way some language impaired kids do. They definitely learn to respond.

The more I look at tomorrow's weather forecast, the more I'm considering chickening out of our Dutch Winter Wonderland plans. Do I really want to do something outdoors when it's going to be a 'Real feel' of 24 because of strong wind gusts? We were also thinking about stopping at Longwood Gardens on the way back if the kidlet is in a good mood, but that'll likely not happen either.

I'm turning into a weenie in my old age.

You mean the wind chill is supposed to be 24? Honestly for me that isn't that cold! LOL But I don't know that I would want to be out more than an hour in it unless you have the right clothing and boots and stuff. What I don't like is the wind. That would maybe be a deal breaker. A nice crisp air is one thing but when the wind hits and slices right to the bones (well feels like it!)....something different.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Ha! He was actually standing on the chair, not the table. Typo. I wouldn't have walked out of the room and left him standing on the table. Chair, yes.

My softball coach and good family friend used to have 2 st bernards that she talked to like people and I was so tickled that they really seemedto understand her. I loved those dogs.

The forecast calls for a high of 39 and low of 27, with winds around 25 MPH, gusting to 40. This thing is ALL outdoors, near as I can tell (a couple of the restaurants are indoor/heated), rides, train, lights, that sort of thing. DD does very well in the cold, and generally tends to overheat, although I don't know how she'll handle being cold for an extended period of time. Current thinking is to get there by 3, when they open, do the rides and such when the sun is still up and it's still a little warmer, and leave as soon as we're done with the lights (6:30 or so?). So, likelihood of freezing my butt off for 3-4 hours. My toes freeze below 50 (although I have insulated winter boots, but they are heavy/hard to walk in), which is probably the worst part. I need to dig out my wool socks.

Yes, dig out the wool socks! My feet would never survive a winter without them! In spite of the snow it gorgeous here right now. The sun is shining and the trees are covered with snow. Perfect winter day.

Did y'all see the nra is calling for armed guards at every school? I can stand behind that as an immediate action.
    Last edited by Bridget; 12-21-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Suja, is the area fairly open or are there a lot of buildings and trees around? That makes a big difference for the wind. Last night it was making my house shake at times and it was just howling out there. But I have open fields around me to the west and north. My coworkers who live in the same town but in neighborhoods that are built up said the wind wasn't that bad.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Suja, is the area fairly open or are there a lot of buildings and trees around? That makes a big difference for the wind. Last night it was making my house shake at times and it was just howling out there. But I have open fields around me to the west and north. My coworkers who live in the same town but in neighborhoods that are built up said the wind wasn't that bad.
    I have no idea, Jen. I'm assuming lots of open space, because in the summer, it works as an amusement park.

Bridget, I'd love some nice clean snow. Somehow, the cold seems more tolerable if there is snow to go with it.

I heard about the NRA's press conference. Armed guards and armed teachers. That's ALL they called for, so they're unwilling to entertain any sort of gun control.

I cannot imagine there is anyone in the world who thinks arming teachers is a good idea. The idea just makes my mind boggle.

Suja, the idea of freezing my toes off for several hours does not appeal to me in the slightest. I also have sensitive toes so I know how you feel. I'm actually wearing wool socks right now.

Bridget it is pretty like that here now. I like the look of snow. And really like the winter days where the sun is bright and skies are blue. A bit cold though...13 this morning and still only 17 out there. Can't tell if it's still windy or not as my window is overlooking a protected courtyard.

Hmmm, I don't know how I feel about armed guards at every school. Who is going to pay for them? Who is going to train them? So many towns are struggling as it to keep enough police on duty. Though maybe it could be military.....As they come back home, they do need jobs.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Did y'all see the nra is calling for armed guards at every school? I can stand behind that as an immediate action.
    Pure f-in' stupid. One person with a scope on a high powered rifle can take care of that easily - just like the DC sniper(s)? I didn't expect such a truly ridiculous, short-sighted (blind to reality) statement from the NRA. As a friend of mine said, "The NRA jumped the shark today." I'm not venturing into the other thread because my getting upset and mad will do nothing to help the situation, and I can't stand to see such stupidity and siege mentality. It's one of their own who does it every time, but they act as if THEY are the ones who are attacked. The NRA doesn't understand that the ground is shifting and they have to change or get buried.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Here today it is 40ish degrees, 50+ MPH winds and it's pouring rain. I'd take snow instead any day of the week. I hate winter rain.
    AKA Lisa724

Quote Originally Posted by MashedUp View Post
    I hate winter rain.
    Agreed. It makes the cold creep into my bones, and stay there. Or maybe that's a sign that I'm way past my prime.

Aren't wool socks itchy? I have a wool coat and that makes me next itch a bit.

I have these http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Sport...s+women+winter

My feet are NEVER cold in them and I wear socks in the summer in the house. And for snow boots, they are really light (I had this brand before for about 10 years until they cracked finally and they were much heavier). Plus I'm super uncoordinated and these have great traction control....ice and I don't get along well.

As for being open....if it is windy, dress in layers and put cuddle duds or tights under your pants. That is where I get cold....my feet have my boots, I have gloves/mittens, scarves, coat with a sweater under it.....but if you just have pants and bare legs the wind gets to you like have you no pants on.

Mandy....maybe a thyroid thing? I am really prone to cold feet....and hands often too. But the rest of me is fine.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I just got some people cashmere socks for Christmas. They seem pretty cozy - my dh loves his. But maybe not warm enough for real winter.

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov