Page 1240 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 24074011401190123012381239124012411242125012901340 ... LastLast
Results 37,171 to 37,200 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

I hope that my boys never want to play video games; they have no interests in them now and I want it to stay that way. Kids who play too much X-box, etc., really annoy me! We have a boy with issues at school and he regularly comes in talking about how he has stayed up all night playing "Call of Duty."

Thanks, L, for the link to the food!

Did you guys see that some Australian DJ's prank called the hospital where Kate Middleton had been and a nurse actually believed they were Prince Charles and the Queen and gave them an update on her condition; well, that nurse who fell for the prank committed suicide today! I cannot believe it...what must those DJ's be feeling now!

Ash, that has been my experience as well. The kids that I have cared for and the kids in my family who play video games, it's ALL they talk about and ALL they play when they are pretending. Kind of a funny story but when my aunts came to visit us last summer, my 10 year old cousin was playing with Savana and Kai all afternoon. My aunt later told me that N said to her that night, "Savana and Kai play strange games!" lol She said she told him it's because they don't watch tv or play video games. He is right they play strange games. They've been on this one for weeks called Peaches and Jumper. That is the name of the cats they each have and their names are Jack (Savana) and Andrew (Kai). It's a continuous storyline. Last night at dinner Kai says, "Savana after this let's play Peaches and Jumper and start right where we left off when the cats are stuck in the ice and we're trying to get the boat to them."

And wait??!! She committed suicide? Because of the prank? That is awful! I read the story earlier today but it didn't say how she died. How tragic. I'm sure those dj's meant no harm.

Related story. Some dj's played a prank on my dad once when he was the manager of a bank. His employees put him up to it because he is the nicest man ever and they wanted to see how he'd react. They called and said the handicapped paintings in the parking lot had been manipulated to look like they were throwing up gang signs. And my dad said, "Oh, jeepers moses you're kidding me." LOL! My poor dad they played that all day and laughed and laughed about him saying that. They were really angry acting when they called saying how horrible that was that he would allow that at his bank. They went on and on about how my dad was the nicest person they'd ever played a prank on and that "jeepers moses" was about has heated as he got.
    My poor dad. He hates being the center of attentios and he hates being the butt of jokes. He was really embarrassed.
    Last edited by Bridget; 12-07-2012 at 12:42 PM.

There is some research out there that suggests that surgeons that grew up playing video games are some of the best ones out there. Something about the hand eye coordination if I remember correctly. Especially those surgeons who practice robotic surgery.

My cousin who is 8.5 and in third grade asked my DH what his favorite gun was. Dh was like um I don't have a favorite gun. A said he his was an AK47. DH and I are like OMG. I mean DH is fine with video games and computer games and there is killing going on in axis and allies or age of empires but not like that of first person shooter games.
    I will say that my cousin is a very sweet kid...polite and does great at school. But I do think that his moms let him play some games that he shouldn't.
    It is great how easily he learns and can work around a computer. But we would limit his games to things like Mario, Lego ones....that sort of thing. Things that are more PG.

Mostly it's just about balance and the kid. If you have one that is having issues with say video games, than that should be stopped or limited. But some....like me when I was little...liked to play for a little while but than moved on to something else.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Ash I saw that about the poor nurse. That is awful. Here something like that would have cost her the job and I can kind of see how that could throw someone that much.
    Actually in many hospitals now they have one person be the call person. So they ONLY give into to say Jim. Everyone else who calls asking about Mary gets directed to Jim. Or what they will do is have a password or code. You call and ask about Mary and they only tell you if have the correct password or code number.

Bridget your poor dad! At least he should have been proud of his response and how calm he kept it.

I have the theme song to Punky Brewster running through my head right now. Anyone else here grow up watching that show? I just loved her when I was little. Later as an adult watching the DVD's, I realized how serious some of the topics were that came up.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I would bet some of the older video games (which would be what today's surgeon would have been playing) would stimulate that part of the brain in less of a bombarding way as I like to describe today's video games. They bombard you with sound, emotion, graphics...and so realistic. Some say it contributes to adhd....it's a far cry from the "pong" I used to play. The white rectangle that moved side to deflect the bouncing white dot.
    But what do I know really. I haven't done much research on it. It just feels right to me to keep the kids away from those high tech games for now.

It's so tragic about that nurse I heard the clip on the radio on Wednesday, I am surprised that anyone would think that was the Queen or Prince Charles. It sounded like something on SNL, the dj's were trying not to laugh. The poor girl's family.

I loathe video games. When I was little we had an Atari that I played for a little while but I lost interest in pretty quickly. I have never been any good at playing the new games. My nephew is addicted to them, he's 18. When he was starting kindy, he didn't want to leave the house to attend school because he didn't want to leave his video game systems. One year we traveled to Hawaii for Christmas, from Alaska. We were in paradise, and my brother allowed his two young sons to play video games all day long. They brought a suitcase full of their gaming systems and video games. I am not kidding. My 22 year old niece's bf doesn't work, he plays video games all day long. Needless to say if we allow G to have a video gaming system it will be limited like crazy.

L, if you like Sherlock Holmes, check out the CBS version called "Elementary". It has Lucy Lui as Watson. Oh and also "Doc Marten" on netflix.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I would bet some of the older video games (which would be what today's surgeon would have been playing) would stimulate that part of the brain in less of a bombarding way as I like to describe today's video games. They bombard you with sound, emotion, graphics...and so realistic. Some say it contributes to adhd....it's a far cry from the "pong" I used to play. The white rectangle that moved side to deflect the bouncing white dot.
    But what do I know really. I haven't done much research on it. It just feels right to me to keep the kids away from those high tech games for now.

I don't know if there is research on it but I agree with you on a lot of the new games. They freaking give me a headache to look at. That is why I like the Wii.....we were able to download all our old favorites. The ones that just scroll across the screen and are 2D instead of 3D. And it's funny because my sister's gf has siblings that are like around 10 yrs old give or take a few years....same as our cousins. And all those kids just LOVED playing old fashioned Mario brothers from the nintendo system.
    To me there is such a big difference from stomping on a Koopa and kicking tossing the shell.....and realistic first person shooter games.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Chrissy, you only would need a cpap machine is you were a snorer and suffering from apnea. Sounds more like your case is insomnia.

I'm not great at falling asleep either. I have a hard time turning it off in my head. What they would suggest would be things like room is dark (NO TV), cool. Times of going to bed and getting up are consistent. Exercise but not too late. Maybe a warm bath. Reading before bed. Stopping caffeine early in the day.
    Does something like nyquil or unisom help you out?
    I really think it's probably work that is stressing you out and that is the big culprit.
    I've always had trouble falling asleep. My whole life. I think now either work-related stress or age are catching up with me and my real issue is the difficulty I have waking up. I wouldn't find a bath relaxing because they're boring and I end up scrubbing the bathroom tile. I have to have tv on because if I don't, my mind whirls 100 mph and that's what keeps me awake. I can't shut it off. Finding something (like Forensic Files) that takes my mind off me helps me fall asleep faster. Over the counter sleeping pills aren't working like they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Darnit, Suja. Hope the weekend gives her a chance to recover.
    I can fall asleep really easily and I am thankful for that. Dbf is like you, Chrissy. He really shouldn't even eat chocolate in the evening as it keeps him up. I think that is part of what keeps me semi rested even though I'm up (and have been for years) several times a night with one child or another. I can fall right back to sleep.
    I really don't think anything is keeping me up except my own thoughts. Like I said, I was always nocturnal naturally, but when I was younger (up until the last year or so) I could drink coffee right up till I was ready to fall asleep. I'd often sip coffee while reading a book, decide I was tired and just go right now. Now, that's not possible at all. I haven't had coffee after 6:00 in months and it's not helping. I will not cut back more than that. Maybe it's foolish stubbornness, but I'm not giving up my coffee. I've drank it like this for years (and like I said, right up till 1:00 a.m. often) and it didn't prevent me from sleeping when I was tired. My new issue is no matter how tired I am, I cannot fall asleep...even with cutting the late coffee out.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriBrit View Post
    Did you guys see that some Australian DJ's prank called the hospital where Kate Middleton had been and a nurse actually believed they were Prince Charles and the Queen and gave them an update on her condition; well, that nurse who fell for the prank committed suicide today! I cannot believe it...what must those DJ's be feeling now!
    I just heard about that. It's awful. I'm sure she caught heck at work, was probably fired even though the hospital is claiming they were supporting her through the whole dj thing, and commit suicide. Poor woman. I do think they take 'the royals' far too seriously over there. I'm sure to them it's a huge deal, but really it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I have the theme song to Punky Brewster running through my head right now. Anyone else here grow up watching that show? I just loved her when I was little. Later as an adult watching the DVD's, I realized how serious some of the topics were that came up.
    I used to love that show. I can't remember the theme song though.

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    It's so tragic about that nurse I heard the clip on the radio on Wednesday, I am surprised that anyone would think that was the Queen or Prince Charles. It sounded like something on SNL, the dj's were trying not to laugh. The poor girl's family.
    That's what I thought too...I'm not good with accents at all, but even I could tell they had the worst fake English accent I'd ever heard. I was shocked they got through.

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

Agreed, Jennifer.

Did you guys see the article about that babies that got switched in the hospital? One of the mama's breastfed the wrong baby! They figured it out before anyone left but now the breastfed baby has to hiv/hep testing for a year. All I could think of while reading it is that I hope the mom's just got to chat and lay it out there. Like, if the one that breastfed the baby could just say you have nothing to worry about, I'm healthy. At least to ease their minds in spite of the testing.

Oh and I LOVED punky brewster. I call my kids my punkys because of that show. When I was a child, more than a few adults would tell me I looked like her. Loved her.

I did not hear that the nurse had committed suicide. That is horrible!!! I also thought the accents were fake but regardless, I feel terrible for her family. Poor lady. Everyone makes mistakes and I'm hoping that the royal family weren't too upset about it and even if they were so what. It is not worth her life.

I also think they make a big deal about them. I will admit I'm interested in them, but it is more from an historical perspective as they have a great genealogical story in regards to their family and I like genealogy and history. I don't like how they hound them. I felt bad for Kate when they got married and especially so when it was released she had hyperemesis. No one wants everyone to know their puking their guts out.

I used to love Punky Brewster too Jen!! I used to pretend I was Cherry, her friend. I loved the seriousness of the show. I was a rather serious child though. I especially remember the episodes when 1- The Challenger shuttle exploded. I remember holding in tears on that one. And 2-Cherry hid in an old refrigerator/freezer of some sorts and got trapped in it and almost died. I think that was a 2 part episode and I was on edge until the 2nd episode came back on. I also used to love her dog.

I also have heard the studies about technology and kids. My whole thing with them are what is the age of the kids who "grew up with technology." I would think they are talking about older kids and not little kids spending a lot of time playing the kind of games people play now-a-days. And FWIW, I used to enjoy video games. I remember getting "nintendo thumb" where my hand/thumb area would hurt from playing Super Mario Bros all the time. I was really good. We didn't have a system until I was 11 but I got really good at them and have always been good at most computer related issues. Ky also has been involved with technology one way or another when he was 5 and above. We don't have a gaming system, but he does play games like Adventure Quest online. He also likes Scratch as was mentioned above and some other game/program sites that I can't remember offhand. He actually did participate in a program where he used robotic surgical arms and was the best in the field of kids from his and 5 other schools. So I don't feel his lack of video games before the age of 5 (he does play them now at his friends'/cousins' homes just not in our house) has been something that would be negative in regards to his use of technology now. He also has had a lot of robots and mechanical building kits since he was 4.

Bridget, if I were you I'd try to convince DBF to give the robot kits a try for Kai. Most of them are really simple. Ky did them by himself when he was 5. Also they do sell robots that have to be "assembled." I used to help Ky put those together when he was in Pre-K. Basically you just snap the wires together for the limbs and attach the head and put the batteries in. But Ky liked the robot/electronic kits better. He had a snap circuit set, a really small one that came with a manual that he liked that teaches you about how electricity works. We did that one together. The electronic kit I'm getting him this year is just a bigger version of the original one we had back then.

Erin
    Last edited by Ky'sMom; 12-07-2012 at 02:56 PM.

I have been looking at this one in the catalog http://www.mindware.com/p/Recycled-R...Set-of-3/45009

Dbf won't want to spend the money. I'm making him a list of everything I want to get for the kids and how much it is. It adds up to about $225 for all 3 kids.

I saw the actress Soleil Moon-Frye at a rave once. She was so well-endowed, we started calling her Punky Boobster. She was very nice, though, smiling back and such

That's very sad about the nurse who killed herself, though it's a shame she coukdn't have laughed at herself a little more about it. Bridhet, your dad's response - as embarrassed as he might be from it - was adorable!

Suja, I hope Mira is feeling better already. Aren't they just a little bit more sweet when they're feverish and lethargic, though? Small comfort, I know. Give her a squeeze for me, please.

Chrissy, you're not alone with insomnia. I wish I were a better sleeper and didn't need to read myself to sleep every night. DH just shuts his eyes and he's out. He expects the same of Bodhi, but I think he's more like me. He lies there and "tries" to get sleepy, but just can't figure out how to do it volitionally. I feel bad the way B gets anxious that he can't sleep when he's expected to. I was exactly the same way. If he's too awake, I sometimes let him get up. DH doesn't like that, but begrudgingly allows it.

Happy Friday, ladies!

Oh yes, and about the video games.... I think I'm much on the same page as you ladies. My parents offered Bodhi an iPad for Xmas, and I told them to get him some nice building things instead. He still loves Marbulous and Bristle Blocks, so even though he is equally engrossed by Angry Birds on my phone and Grampa's iPad, it's not too late to still steer him away. Maybe a tablet next year. We'll see.

Bridget, would something like this work for Kai? http://www.amazon.com/Erector-Motori...=erectors+sets. I realize that's not robotic, but if je hasn't done anything like that, this would get him started, thinking in that direction.

I have never been much into video games. Bored he heck out of me. Maybe that's why I am so against them, because I don't really see how that can be fun/entertaining.

Mira has been sleeping pretty much all day. When she is not, she's been whiny and clingy. She woke up from one nap with a fever (102.6), I gave her some Ibuprofen, and she went back to sleep. Still sleeping now (since about 11:30). I made some chicken soupp for her, but she has basically just had about 10 ounces of formula (I am so thrilled she still drinks that vile stuff; it definitely stays down better than milk, and since she won't drink anything other than milk and water, it helps to keep her hydrated and nourished).

After spending most my childhood watching the shadows from the moon travel across my ceiling, I vowed I'd never do that to my kids. And I haven't. They have always put themselves to bed when they were tired. My only rule was they couldn't give me a hard time about waking for school because if they did, then I'd implement a bedtime. I only had to threaten that once with Syd. Never with any of the other kids. Not even Conner.

I think I'm lucky because I fall asleep within a minute of going to bed. The boys are pretty similar to me; hence, we've never had any major bedtime issues with either of them.

I remember Punky! I was really young when it was on, but I remember.thinking it was cool that she wore mismatched socks. My favorite 80's shows were Golden Girls and The Facts of Life. Oh, and we used to watch Charles.in Charge, too.

Suja, I like that kit too. Every time I show dbf something like that he says it has too many small parts. Always something I tell ya!

I wish I could let my kids dictate their bedtimes. Whenever I try to be chill and let them stay up past 8, I always regret it because they turn into monsters if they don't get to sleep before they're overtired and they will NOT sleep in. 7 is the absolute latest they sleep no matter how late they are up. Then bears all day if they're tired. I hope as they get older that will change. Kai slept past 7 once in his life and you know what day that was? First day of kindy. No joke.

The other one I liked was this one: http://www.amazon.com/Engino-30-Mode...sets+motorized. But it has small parts too. Pretty much impossible to find ones that don't. Maybe get him one of those Hexbug habitats? Not so educational, but fun anyway.

I'm not very strict about bed time. The reason being that I know how much awake time she needs in between sleep times. If she naps in school, it is a huge waste of my tme to get her to bed before 9. She will just play around until then, and I'll lose what little patience I have, trying to get her to sleep.

I've become a very light sleeper. Even as sleep deprived as I was when Mira would wake up a dozen times nightly (over two years!), still had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep.

She woke up, screamed some about going upstairs in the store, downed a cup of formula, and is sleeping again. Whatever this is, it has hit her extremely hard. Normally, she would be back to being her old self after a dose of meds. She has never slept this much before. Worries me a bit.

I hope she feels better soon.

What do you guys think of this? Maybe you know people like this. They leave me baffled sometimes. I have a cousin and her husband. They are very liberal, atheist (call themselves humanist, I believe), human rights activists, college educated (and boy will he let you know that) So basically we see eye to eye on most issues across the board. But here is where we differ. They are so tunnel visioned about their...vision that they totally dismiss anyone who speaks out differently and can be quite vicious in doing so. They will attack personally. For example one of our cousins who is a raging republican, and don't get me wrong, I can't stand her either and I blocked her a long time ago. But my cousin and her dh got into it with her some time ago and ended up making some comments about how women over 30 should not wear mini skirts. Really rude! She wears them, obvi, and I thought that was a low blow. Then today my aunt who is my mom's sis, very compassionate and giving, volunteers her time and homeless shelters and food banks, not the one that needs to be convinced of human rights in any way shape or form, she posted an article on fb about a local business partnering with salvation army and feeding hundreds of families for xmas. She was proud of it. Now keep in mind that this is my cousins mom! Cousin's husband jumps all over her about how salvation army hates gays and she shouldn't give her time or money to an organization like that. I felt bad for her as she stated she had no idea about that and was just proud of her town for the charity.

Now here's where I have a problem. If you claim to be a humanist and you preach day in and day out about the evils of the world and how opposed you are to said evils, how do you become blind to common decency. It's NOT kind to call out your mil on a public forum as if she is advocating hate when you know **** well she is a wonderful person. It's NOT kind to attack the physical appearance of someone because you don't like their politics. These are only 2 examples. And I like them, I really do. We've shared some great conversations. But I am very cautious not to bring myself into some of the things they talk about because they often turn ugly and I don't want to be associated with that.

Do you all know people like that? So hell bent on that far sighted goal of world peace that they trample on the people standing right in front of them?
    Sorry, I didn't mean for this to get so long. It's just been on my mind all day. I wish I'd have stuck up for my aunt in that post.

I know people like that too unfortunately. My co-workers wife is like that but I put her in her place. I basically refer to them as weirdos lol.

I also consider myself a "secular humanist" so since I say that sometimes, people will talk to me about random things like that. I have also heard my friends who are like your cousin speak of how horrible the Salvation Army is. I do give them money and mostly because they helped my dad stay off of drugs. Also they offer free housing for people down on their luck - like my dad was, they helped him with rehab and housing, all he had to do was pitch in and clean up. They are someplace that will take practically anyone, including gay people. But that is another story. I had some....I'll say interesting conversations with people I know about the whole Chik-Fil-A thing that happened a few months ago. They were upset I still went to eat at Chick-Fil-A. I LOVE Chick-Fil-A and I am not going to stop eating there just because the owner of the franchise says something that disagrees with my personal view and a lot of my secular humanist friends did not understand that. I feel people can believe what they want and as long as they aren't breaking discriminatory laws in hiring, in regards to Chick-Fil-A, then I don't have a problem with them. My co-workers wife wouldn't talk to me because of this until recently lol. My co-worker calls her the flaming-est flaming liberal atheist you will ever meet lol. She really is but is cool with me most of the time. She is just overly passionate IMO.

Erin

Forgot to mention Bridget, love your kids' game!!!

Reminds me of my older brother and I we had a game called "Ninja Kids" lol. I don't remember where we got that name from, but we always pretended we were kid ninjas and went around and had adventures. My name was Ka-Chi, which is what my brother named me in the game. I couldn't think of a cool ninja name for him so I just called him "Little Boy" lol!!

After a while we just called the game Ka-Chi and my mom said she used to wonder what the hell Ka-Chi was. We'd make karate sounds and look out for danger and be on ships and boats and motorcycles like we were in a kung fu movie lol. I love it when kids have imaginative games like that. It is the embodiment of childhood to me

Erin

I know people like you are describing and they are just unpleasant people. They certainly don't walk the walk, do they?

Vaguely related to the whole video game thing, I had a kid at work recently whose grandma asked me about buying him Christmas presents, and I told her nothing electronic. Something he could touch or feel or get his hands dirty with, the more the better before he is kindergarten age.I don't think she was very happy with me. She wanted to hear I had recommended some miracle gadget or something. It's called a book, lady!

But she wasn't happy with me. We had to have a "word" with our screening teams because they were all over-referring (basically they referred every kid they saw) so we have had a ridiculous run of kids who don't qualify. I knew he wouldn't qualify when I read through his file and tried to talk the family out of testing him. Dad could care less but grandma insisted she couldn't understand anything he said. I gave him 3 different tests and he scored perfectly average on every single one of them (like 99/100 when 85-115 is average) and understood him 85% of the time. I don't make those numbers up, I have meticulous notes. Grandma was angry and kept insisting he needed services because lisped and I told her lisping is normal in preschool and even in elementary age, we don't really do just lisps anymore in the public schools. So then she wanted to know if I thought he would ever say it right ... I don't know why he wouldn't? He's on track for literally everything else! So the when I told her to buy him books and toys I think she thought I was blowing her off. Sorry, lady.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 12-07-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

What kind of crazy grandma isn't happy she has a normal grandkid?

Some people......

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    What kind of crazy grandma isn't happy she has a normal grandkid?

Some people......

Erin
    Ones who want us to give their grandkids free preschool. As if I would put him in preschool for a lisp even if he did qualify!

I told her to talk to Head Start and she had a list of reasons why that wouldn't work. Primarily that Head Start wouldn't provide busing. She didn't seem to want to hear that we provide special education, not childcare.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Poor boy.

B, those people just aren't nice. Maybe they are sometimes, but when they act like you described they're not being nice.

I've had to talk to Bobbie about that sort of thing. She's very open minded and accepting of people, except she really hates judgmental ones with a passion that is a bit alarming. Then she's harsh in her judgment of them and doesn't get why that's a double standard.

But she's 19. I think judging is more normal at that age. If she's 30 and still doing it, I'll be gravely disappointed because I didn't raise her to be that way.

Um, I admit I am guilty of that. Except I wouldn't trash talk someone over their appearance because I think that they are stupid or don't like their politics. Especially not if it's family that I have to probably see again. DH has a cousin that is driving me crazy and so I unfriended her, she had a fit and I ended up making up something about how I "accidently" unfriended a bunch of people...sorry about that and here's a friend request.
    So while I have learned to filter what comes out....I do tend to think not so nice things. Or at least if I talk about them, do it with DH. Even his mom is like, I love my niece but don't really like her now or know her.
    I mean lately it's been about "one nation UNDER GOD" or leave....that kind of thing. Or now a person who would vote for prayer in schools...THAT is someone I would vote for. Ok so she is religious fine. But try pointing out that the pledge didn't mention anything about God for like 50 some years and that gets deleted.
    So really what I want to say, fine you love Jesus or whatever and are such a great christian that you cheat on relationships (I know what to much that I probably shouldn't...my MIL has a big mouth)....have been divorced once already and are now living with another man. Great Christian behavior.
    Or I really wanted to go off on her during the election because she trashes everyone who needs assistance because she works so hard and got an education and doesn't want to be forced to have healthcare or pay for it. Because we have a huge debt....but is war happy. OMG....so wanted to tell her that her associates degree isn't that big of a deal. I have a masters as does DH and we both work hard....but aren't selfish and believing in helping others. or so ignorant to realize that while lucky now...someday we might be the ones lost a job and need help.

OMG she drives me nuts. Even posted on MY wall some stuff. My sister was like, is his cousin in high school.....nope she's about 40. But I have a filter and kept it mostly to myself, DH or his mom.

But I am going to write Happy Holidays on her xmas card because she has been going on and on about how it's Merry CHRISTmas and not happy holidays. Even though I usually say Merry christmas myself.

is that bad?

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I can't speak for B, but I definitely have very nasty thoughts about people sometimes. Especially in the situations you've described. I have to talk to myself about it being ok for others to believe what they want. If they're nasty with their attitude, they're not someone I'm going to want to be close to anyway so it's no skin off my nose what they believe. Sometimes I'm grouchy and do enter into debates, but I don't really like it. I usually end up feeling pretty awful...just negative in general and I strongly dislike feeling negative. If someone is prolific in their right-wing rants (for example) I do hide them so I don't have to see it. I do have friends that I love dearly, but differ so drastically politically that if I see too much of that stuff I fear it'll ruin our friendship. What I don't know can't hurt me. I assume they've done the same to me, and I'm totally ok with that.

And sometimes I even get testy and nasty with people I love. I can be very hot-headed and I guess I'm just very fortunate that I have forgiving friends. I think it takes a lot to get me going, but once I get going I'm vicious. I don't know how to tone it down, but I'm not really motivated to do so.

I re-read that and realized it sounds hypocritical. I mean I can be vicious if I've been repeatedly hurt/taken advantage of. Or if someone were harming my kids. For the example B used, even if I were on the other side of a belief, I'd let it go. The super sweet people that believe differently than me I'd never, ever, NEVER be cruel to.

Faye at work is just about as perfect as a person can be. She has a deep faith in Christianity but I gotta say, she really lives it and I admire her greatly. Especially the "thou shalt not judge" piece, which is my personal favorite. We've discussed our differing opinions and she didn't treat me any different from before I openly admitted I was an atheist. And of course I didn't treat her any different. I'd never, EVER be cruel to her. Ever. And we don't always agree, obviously. And we're both ok with that.

I adore ShannonG and we differ politically. During the McCain/Obama election we nearly ruined our friendship debating it. It was awful and it broke my heart. There's so much else to each of us that's lovable and we're kindred spirits in a lot of ways. Neither of us discussed politics at all during the last election. It was all work, kids, relationships, apa gossip. As it should be. I love her and losing her as a friend over something like political differences would be a tremendous loss to me. Absolutely not worth it. If she hid me from her feed, I'd be ok with it. I didn't have to hide her in particular, but there were some others.