Page 1237 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 23773711371187122712351236123712381239124712871337 ... LastLast
Results 37,081 to 37,110 of 44506

Thread: Secular Confessions

Oh, Erin, they sound like wonderful kids and you are such a sweet soul to help them out so much. I'm glad they have you.

You are right about that fieldtrip. I didn't send Savana on it.

Awww Erin you are a great auntie!

Bridget, think you could talk the kids into trying Culvers instead? OMG the custard is soooo much better than whatever they serve at micky D's. I think that it's been like 5 years since I have been to one. Everytime I eat there, I throw up and I have only done that a handful of times in the past 8 years.

I am thinking about cutting my hair. It currently reaches about the small of the back so it's down to the waist. Would take off 8-11 inches so I could donate it. Taking the weight off will likely leave my hair curly again (it's been more just wavy this long). So I would need to find a gel or something....what I used to use is not on the market anymore. I had planned on this all along but am scared to cut so much at once.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Culver's custard isn't gluten free!

Really? I wouldn't have ever guessed it. I just thought it was like eggs and milk....like ice cream but richer.

Would Wendy's work? Frosties are pretty tasty and at least they have a good history in helping adoption (not sure if they affect the rainforest or not).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Erin, you have got to be the best aunt in the world!

Mama to Bobbie 20 ~ Jesi 18 ~ Syd 14 ~ Conner 6
    I'm gonna be a Gramama! Jesi is due 11/22/13

SCUBAJIB to say Jennifer, think HARD before cutting your hair. Once every few years, I get on a tear and decide I want to cut mine. And I dither about it for months. And then I do it. And I LOVE it! I feel so light and free! For about a month. Then I'm very sorry I cut it and wish I could remember never to do that again. Every. Single. Time. The last time I cut it was almost a year ago - it was to my waist and I cut 13 inches (seems like more because my hair is curly and gets curlier when shorter), and whenever I see someone with really long hair, I still feel sad.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

I have the appt for tomorrow. It's been growing out for a few years with the purpose of donating in mind (wanted to do it once before I have to start coloring it). I have always had it past my shoulders but never quite this long....I usually get sick of it and cut out like 5-6 inches but never before enough to donate. It will still be past my shoulders when I do cut it....wouldn't do it unless I still had what most consider long hair. Usually makes the hair look a lot healthy and thicker with a good chopping off. I have kind of been feeling that it's starting to feel thin (for me) and not quite so healthy.
    I have thought about waiting until the spring to do this too. Right now I wash at night and sleep with it pulled back in a couple of scrunchies so it's wavy in the morning. When it's shorter, I will probably have to use the flat iron or curling iron or wash in the morning and scrunch with some hair gel. So a bit more work but not too much. Have been trying to decide if when there is a baby if it would be easier to shower at night or in the morning. When I do it now is at night when DH is sleeping before work. This was hard when we had the puppy as she had to be locked up and would try whining....so I had to sneak in showers while DH was still awake to watch her.
    He works nights so mornings I will be home alone with the baby trying to get ready for work. He comes home about 45 minutes before I leave.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I can't believe I'm almost done shopping. Usually I'm still scrambling, ordering last minute shipping the week before Christmas. It's been relatively stress-free this year.

The only thing is, I'm looking for a nice cotton nightie for my mom. It's sort of a yearly tradition, but I'm finding it harder and harder to find a) nightgowns and b) something that's 100% cotton. I like to buy from the store so I can look at it and feel it but if I have to resort to buying online, I will. Any ideas? She likes them long and no lace or ribbons or anything around the neck.

Erin, I think you're a great auntie and it's not terrible that you have favorites.

PS, did you guys hear that Kate Middleton is in the hospital with a severe case of morning sickness? (I forget the official name) I feel so bad for her, having all this speculation about could it be twins, or a girl, and how long will she be in the hospital...etc. while being so sick.
    Last edited by daylilies; 12-04-2012 at 12:19 PM.

kate have you tried sears? I get mine from Kohls but I like knit, not the cotton. My mom only likes the cotton ones and I think she usually gets them from sears.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I didn't try sears. I got worn out after trying a bunch of other department stores. I'll try another day...

Yeah, it's the only thing on the news over here (the duchess being pregnant). I feel annoyed for them that people won't leave them alone; on the other hand, I see how people think they are familiar with them because they are 'their' royals.

Hyperemesis....ugh....

I had it with both my pregnancies and it is HORRIBLE!! I hope that she doesn't have it for the whole pregnancy like I did.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Ky'sMom View Post
    Hyperemesis....ugh....

I had it with both my pregnancies and it is HORRIBLE!! I hope that she doesn't have it for the whole pregnancy like I did.

Erin
    Oh that's horrible Erin! You poor thing!

So I don't know why my children want to wait so long talk. Kai took forever. Sawyer is the same. I have really been encouraging him to expand his vocab lately. For the longest time, everything was "apple". One of our cat's name is Apple. And then apples, of course. So now he calls most animals "apple" until I remind him it's something else and then he says, "Ooooohhhhh," as if it just now clicked. Like, oh I get it NOW. But our other cat, Pawprint, is still Apple. So a conversation goes like this:
    S: Mommy, that Apple?"
    Me: No, that's Poppy (Pawprint's nickname)
    S: Apple
    Me: That's Poppy
    S: Ohhhhhhh, Poppy.....Mommy, that Apple?
    And so we go again. Seriously, he'll go around a dozen times trying to convince me it's Apple.
    And his other words are: Kai, Mommy, Daddy, Anya (Savana), Cow, Apple, Poopy
    He uses these words whenever he is trying to tell me something big. For example, he will get hurt and I will say, "What happened?" and he will say, "Kaimommyapplepoopyanyapoopycow"
    Or I will ask him what he was doing outside with daddy and he will say, "Kaianyapoopyappledaddy"

Normal enough, right? He's 22 months.

The over generalizing part is normal...kids usually start by using a small number of words for everything and gradually figure out what they mean. The kaianyapoopyapple part ... No idea! But it's hilarious! Obsessed with poop already!

Eta: while we're on the subject, puppy ate a package of cookies that he grabbed off the dining room table yesterday. We think he is lactose intolerant because he has diarrhea if we give him any dairy. Right now he is farting the nastiest farts I have ever smelled, and I blame those cookies.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 12-04-2012 at 06:30 PM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I think I had that with Bobbie, Erin, for the whole pregnancy as well. Everything made me sick. My midwife was horrible and not only never prescribed me anything for nausea, but she didn't comment on my blood pressure. I ended up having pre-eclampsia and giving birth to Bobbie via emergency c-section at 33 weeks. My BP was 210/134 that day. I'd just been in for a checkup the day before. I was 17. I didn't know about anti-nausea medication. I didn't think to ask about my BP. I have no idea what it was at my appointment, but I doubt it skyrocketed that much in less than 24 hours. Especially since all my other relatives (with experience) were alarmed at how swollen I appeared and mentioned some mysterious illness I might have (pre-eclampsia) for weeks before I woke up gushing blood. It was 1993. Just a few years before the internet (at least in my world) and message boards. Anyway, when I was having Jesi I did wise up and get a better set of providers. That midwife mentioned that poor nutrition can be a contributing factor to pre-eclampsia and that anti-nausea medication may have prevented all the from happening. Combined with what happened to my cousin and his gf (also teen parents), I know that the provider I was seeing for Bobbie had moral issues about teenagers becoming parents and didn't do any preventative treatment for either of us when we showed clear signs of 'something' being wrong. My cousin and his gf lost their baby When they were crying, she said sarcastically that it was "God's will" and they shouldn't be having children anyway. She said that in front of my aunt, who is very religious and she couldn't believe her ears.

Anyway....

B, Conner was behind too. It is true that the younger children often don't learn language as fast as their older siblings because they don't 'need' to talk. Pointing and gesturing gets them what they need, so they just do that. Somehow, they do learn to talk though.

I remember when we went to visit Shannon in AZ and Conner was only saying a half a dozen words where Mikey (just 4 months older or so) was speaking in sentences.

Oh Mandy!! That's awful.

I've been trying to catch up in here, but I have missed so much. For Thanksgiving we drove up to SC and were greeted with a dirty house full of cobwebs. We arrived at 4am, after driving for 14 hours, and it was of course freezing cold. We had a quiet Thanksgiving-just the three of us. But we still cooked everything because we love the leftovers. And we introduced Gilly to one of my favorite movies "Elf"
    Then we spent the rest of the time cleaning and setting up the house for Christmas. My mil and her new beau are coming, plus her sister and 3 other friends. My mil pretty much invited herself for Christmas, I am trying to make the best of it. I fondly remember last xmas when it was the 3 of us, it was so quiet and beautiful. And now, well yeah positive thinking.

My niece was visiting this weekend, she and her husband adopted an 8 week old Bluetick Coonhound puppy, so me, G, my sister, and my niece all drove up to the breeders to p/u the puppy. The breeder had a huge piece of property out in the boonies. When we drove up all eleven of the adult dogs were barking and howling. OMG the noise!! LOL. Gilly was in puppy heaven, he was surrounded by 11 puppies and he wanted to bring one of them home. They were pretty cute, but I don't want a howly coonhound. G thought the pup was the most wonderful thing in the world until the 2nd day with her and she became sharkpuppy and was biting him like crazy. I spent about 3 days with the puppy, wow I had forgotten how naughty puppies are. It's been 15 years since I had a puppy. Here I was thinking that G was ready for a puppy, but once she bit his shorts he was done with her. He was actually scared of her, calling her sharkpuppy.

Gilly was also a late talker. I want to say he was at least 3.5 before he was really using full sentences. Now he talks non-stop. He pretty much pronounces everything correctly too. It's silly but I get a little sad when he stops using his toddler word for something.
    Like he used to say "annannan" for alien. It reminds me I need to video him more often.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

Bridget, I think that "normal" is considered 50 words? But he is putting together sentences, and Mandy doesn't seem concerned, so it's probably fine. But, because you seem concerned, it might put your mind at ease to get an official evaluation.

I do think he is behind. Not sure if he is behind enough to worry about, since he is so little. If you want I can see where he would score on one of the tests I use ... I actually have a test booklet sitting around from when I used it to practice on L's Baby S. Sawyer being as young as he is many of the questions would be parent interview responses anyway.

I might have another infant/toddler test at work, too. I can check. Bearing in mind I'm not licensed in your state so it would all be opinion and not anything on the record.

That would be great, Gwenn, when and if you have the time. I'd be grateful.

Let me PM you some of the questions. This test runs from birth to seven years but I'm not used to giving it to under-twos so not sure how accurate it is in Sawyer's age range. EI doesn't usually use this one because my test doesn't ask as many questions but my test has more research behind it (norm-referenced) and the checklists they use aren't based on other kids the same age. We'll give it a whirl.

I don't suppose I could get you to write down everything he says for 15 minutes or so? Lol.....
    Last edited by Gwenn; 12-04-2012 at 11:12 PM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I just want to add, Bridget, that DD was barely starting to put two words together at 22-23 months but I know she had 50 words or so by that point because I had been writing them down and keeping careful track of most of them. Try for about a week to carefully listen to all of his words. "That" counts just as much as "cow" does. S. was part of a language acquisition study so each week I entered which words he understood and which ones he used. I was able to really track his words accurately then, more so than with the twins, and with that I realized that often he learned new words and used them for a while and then forgot them again (and so did I if I didn't write them down).

The test Mandy does is fun, though, and I would recommend it just as a way to see her live-action and talk to her and see how good she is with kids, aside from the evaluation aspect.
    Last edited by 3andMe; 12-05-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks, L! I had fun with S!

Bridget, I PM'd you a bunch of questions from that test and some of them are the stuff with props. The way it's set up it's easier to be in a room with a little one (under two) because there are questions like "give me the ball" and it would make more sense for you to try it than to have me do it through the computer. If you want we could try to skype this weekend though, and I could bring the picture prompts home with me so we could do the whole thing together and get a more accurate score.

Or, instead of testing-through-computer, we could do a language sample. Which would involve you writing down everything he says exactly the way he says it (or me, through video) and I could analyze it. I'd want 50 "utterances" (words/phrases), though, and with a little guy that can take some time and there are rules for how to talk to get a good sample from the child. Again something more easily done in person with an under-two.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 12-05-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Hi ladies! I was visiting my folks in Nevada and got back yesterday. We had frozen custard there, where there are, like 3 shops within 6 blocks of each other in their area. We don't have a single frozen custard shop that I know of here in the Bay Area... although come to think of it, I haven't looked that hard. I don't exactly know what the difference is between ice cream and frozen custard, but it does seem a bit richer.

I haven't started my holiday shopping yet. I'm so impressed with those of you who are almost done with it. I'm going to do it all virtual this year, and frankly, most of it is going to be movie passes and thumbdrives with podcasts/books/music for adult friends... toys for Bodhi's little buddies. Every year, I have every intention of making everyone's gifts, and every year, I'm buying someone a giftcard at Macy's on Dec 23rd. I'm so busy this month, I'm not going to even bother with attempting make gifts... except one: I spent some time with my sister and bro-in-law this weekend at my parents' and I think we're slowly bridging the gap. She's 90 days sober now. I'm happy for her and proud of her too. They still have the eccentricities of the rich that have me scratching my head. Like they wanted to buy a $750 turquoise-encrusted cow's skull at a Western shop where my BIL bought some cowboy boots on a whim. So I am actually going to try to make them one for Xmas. I'm learning a lot about how to select a proper cow skull. It's supposed to smell a certain way. Eeeeee! Wish me luck!

Suja, I'm glad and a little mad at you for introducing me to MFP. I love the whole tracking based on TDEE thing. I've met a few nice people. I've learned a lot about body recomposition (because I actually combed thru nearly all of Leangains and downloaded/read the e-books from Lyle McDonald and Brad Pilon). I got aneye-opening DEXA scan thanks to them. BUT! the forums are totally drama central. I waste a little bit of time each day following one weird thread or another. I almost never comment there, just observe and I'm amazed at how snarky people are. Weight Watchers forums were similar; they actually had "closed threads", and you weren't allowed to comment if you weren't part of the thread crew in some way and they'd literally chase you out with nastiness if you were a newcomer. Back then, I just concluded that they were a bunch of pissed off, hungry folks ("hangry"... LOL.). MFP is a little different because it's much more exercise/fitness-focused. It's also quite the meat market, with all the half-naked bodies in their avatars. Anyway, I've been pretty much following the advice of bodybuilders lately, and I have to say, I haven't read a passage from a nice one yet. Their tone is so superior and crude and, while the information they share is useful, there's something wrong with their focus - like their priorities are in the wrong place and all they care about is looking good naked rather than being healthy. But hey, thanks again for sharing IPOARM with me again, Suja. It's been transformational! The cardio break has been hard, but I've had a lot of strength breakthroughs.

Could you ladies give me some advice on what to say to Bodhi for yelling at him really meanly the other night? It was already 2 nights ago, but I'm feeling really guilty. We were sharing a bed at my mom's and he was crawling all over me ...staying up until midnight. At one point, he was begging me to cuddle him (which to him meant he would actually paralyze my arm by pinning it down with his body and then poke my belly button painfully) and I finally growled and angrily refused him. I did tell him I loved him, but I also said he was "bothering me" and I was "tired of" him crawling all over me. The next morning, he forgot all about it and we had a nice day at the Las Vegas Natural History Museum. Plus, I was really patient yesterday when I NEEDED him to sleep before our flight and it took 2 hours of driving him around to ensure he slept, but I still feel awful about the yelling. I have a guilt hangover. Should I even bring it up anymore?

Erin, I think it is really, really touching what you're doing for your nephews. Big hug to you!!
    Last edited by demigraf; 12-05-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    The test Mandy does is fun, though, and I would recommend it just as a way to see her live-action and talk to her and see how good she is with kids, aside from the evaluation aspect.
    Evaluate me!!!

Myles, I hope you had a nice visit. It sounds like my kind of town if there were 3 shops in 6 blocks I'm not a fan of ice cream, but frozen custard sounds delicious. I do like custard-anything though. My girls and son-in-law are just getting gift cards to the mall from me. Conner is getting a mic and web cam for his desktop at my house. And I'm paying for them to have internet at their dad's house (he cancelled it shortly after I moved out). I bought 2 roku streamers because I'll be cancelling cable at my house as well to enable myself to afford their Road Runner. Even though this Christmas is going to be very spartan compared with what they're used to, I think the internet itself will be a win. I'd like to have it turned on and just not tell them until Christmas Day, but I know they have to send a tech out and that'll blow the surprise.

As for the yelling incident, personally I wouldn't bring it up unless by any way (in word or action) he behaves like it bothers him. Kids really are far more resilient with these things and are very, very forgiving. He likely doesn't even remember it especially if he was overtired or overstimulated himself.

If you must say something, perhaps having a general conversation that sometimes even mommies behave poorly and say things they don't mean or in an angry tone and they shouldn't. That might prompt him to bring it up. Or, it might prompt him to look at you like you suddenly sprouted a 2nd head. I've been there with my girls too. It really sucks. Your momma guilt is sufficient punishment. You cannot be perfect and you're human. You're susceptible to being overtired and cranky sometimes. It happens to the best of us.

I got into it with Rich about his hunting and me having Conner all weekend for 3-4 weekends in a row. It's not that I mind having him-of course I don't! But I have stuff to do and it's getting close to Christmas. I can't very well shop with Conner with me. This coming weekend is the last one for hunting, but it really limits me on when I can shop. I really, really do NOT want to do it all on Christmas Eve (AGAIN) and Rich just doesn't get it. He's being selfish and insensitive and tried very hard to twist what I said around to make it sound like I don't want Conner. I tried waiting a few days and bringing it up when we were both calmer and I said that was the furthest from the truth. Or, if it was true it must also apply to him because he's the one that doesn't "want" him on his weekend because he's going to be hunting instead of being with Conner. He retorted with that old argument that I'm getting sick to death of hearing..."I'm hunting to put food on the table!" Whatever dude. You enjoy it. I decided to just let it drop. We will forever have differences over hunting season.

Thanks for all the info, Gwenn. I'll try to work with Sawyer this afternoon when we get home from our fieldtrip. Here is a hopefully not stupid question. If I were to record words that he says, am I only recording words that are clear? Like just now I can hear him saying to Kai, "Ah mine?" and he is asking, "Where's mine?" I know this, but if someone else was doing the test, they'd likely not know.

Chrissy, dbf says he's putting food on the table when he goes fishing. Puh-leeze.

I am trying to figure out when I'm going to get any shopping done for the kids since they are always with me.

I am just starting up a weight lifting program too. Got a book from the library and photocopied the pages of the ones I was going to do so I have directions and photos to go on. I'm doing dumbells and using only 2, 3, and 5 lbs ones so far. LOL

Myles I wouldn't say anything either. He's probably already forgotten about it.

Bridget, I am thinking he knows more words than you think. Of those you listed above you didn't have mine....but just now you said he knows mine. What about NO?

Um custard is like ice cream but much better. I think that it has more butterfat and egg. I'm not big on ice cream but do enjoy a small amount of custard. Since it's rich, a little goes a long way for me. Actually was trying to figure out what was in it and saw this Bridget http://www.culvers.com/menu-and-nutr...allergen-grid/ It looks like it would be gluten free if you stuck with something like vanilla and not something with cookie stuff or candy in it. Actually my favorite is the vanilla with strawberries on it. DH likes the turtle one or with oreos.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Thanks for all the info, Gwenn. I'll try to work with Sawyer this afternoon when we get home from our fieldtrip. Here is a hopefully not stupid question. If I were to record words that he says, am I only recording words that are clear? Like just now I can hear him saying to Kai, "Ah mine?" and he is asking, "Where's mine?" I know this, but if someone else was doing the test, they'd likely not know.
    The trick is to write down EXACTLY what he says. In that example I would either write "Where mine?" or if you weren't sure, "ah [where] mine?" I wouldn't put the 's in because his grammar is probably not at that level and one of the things I do is look for those specific grammar elements. It's actually really difficult to write what he says and not what he means, because we naturally give kids credit for what they are trying to say. Two cow is two cow, not two cows. But don't worry about pronunciation ... If he says "tuck" instead of truck, write truck so I know what he was talking about. I hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 12-05-2012 at 06:06 PM.

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Conce...182091071.html

Cornell was quoted about climate change, but the real reason I'm sharing is because my old building (Goldwin Smith) is in parts of it in the background. *sniff* I really, REALLY miss the Arts Quad. Like so bad, it stabs my heart to see videos like this. Or to have to go up on campus for anything.

On a happy (?) note, I did get an invitation for a phone interview with the Johnson School (in Sage Hall). It's not on the Arts Quad, but it's literally right down the street. I'm not too hopeful though because I've never made it past the first phone call in any phone interview I've participated in.